Incoming Connections (VPN) and Network Bridge Problem

Dreamlusion

Jul 26, 2008, 6:24:09 PM7/26/08
Hello all.

Just wondering if anybody has had any success setting up a *working*
Windows XP VPN server on a Network Bridge?

In my scenario, I have two connections "Local Area Connection" and
"Local Area Connection 2" and an "Incoming Connections" connection
setup for accepting VPN calls.

When the LAN connections are bridged, VPN (PPTP) ports seem to be
blocked (TCP 1723 refused telnet connections)

On the other side, when the LAN connections are independant, VPN
(PPTP) works fine.

-

This is not the only problem regarding VPN and Windows firewall, there
are other *unanswered* issues too:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall/browse_thread/thread/aa0165b024a1d393/a169d998968fe0c4

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall/browse_thread/thread/8c9898930b9d327e/0a2426e18db61f12

These issues describe a situation where Windows firewall stops all
traffic over VPN..

Phillip Windell

Aug 4, 2008, 11:52:02 AM8/4/08
"Dreamlusion" <dream...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello all.
>
> Just wondering if anybody has had any success setting up a *working*
> Windows XP VPN server on a Network Bridge?
>
> In my scenario, I have two connections "Local Area Connection" and
> "Local Area Connection 2" and an "Incoming Connections" connection
> setup for accepting VPN calls.

Local Area Connection?
Local Area Connection2?
Incoming Connections?

Not gonna happen. Can't use 3 nics like that.
Forget it,..it doesn't work like that.
Use one Nic

> When the LAN connections are bridged, VPN (PPTP) ports seem to be
> blocked (TCP 1723 refused telnet connections)

There isn't supposed to be a "bridging setup" involved in the first place.
Bridging just turns the PC into a glorified LAN Switch with each Nic acting
as a Switch Port.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Dreamlusion

Aug 5, 2008, 3:56:49 PM8/5/08
I have simplified/sanitized the model, as you propose, just wanted to
see what the experts have to say about this.

Thank you for your response Philip.

On Aug 4, 6:52 pm, "Phillip Windell" <philwind...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Phillip Windell

Aug 5, 2008, 4:05:10 PM8/5/08

> I have simplified/sanitized the model, as you propose, just wanted to
> see what the experts have to say about this.

Well, I am not an amateur,...you just got what one of the experts suggests
:-)

So, is it working?

Using XP as a "VPN Server" tends to be a problem all by itself even without
any other complexities. In a low budget situation I would much rather use a
small hardware Firewall (commonly and incorrectly called a "router") that
has incomming VPN abilities and use it instead. Then the VPN still works
even if there are other "PC problems" going on at the same time.

--
Phillip Windell