XP SP2 Firewall Printer sharing issue

1 view

James Duncan

Dec 21, 2004, 4:01:02 PM12/21/04
I have the following network configuration:

Office1
Subnet: 10.1.0.0
Mask: 255.255.0.0
PC0009: 10.1.0.9

Office2
Subnet: 10.2.0.0
Mask: 255.255.0.0
PC0006: 10.2.0.6 with a shared HP LaserJet 2200 printer

There are ADSL routers at each office and a VPN tunnel connecting both
offices via the Internet.

With the firewall turned off on PC0009 I can run the following command
successfully from PC0009:

NET USE LPT2: \\PC0006\PRINTER

However, with the firewall turned on on PC0009 the same command fails with:

System error 66 has occurred.

The Firewall on PC0009 has been configured to allow File and Print sharing
and I have changed the scope to "Any Computer" for the following ports (via
the File and Printer Sharing exception):

TCP 139
TCP 445
UDP 137
UDP 138

The problem must be with the Firewall configuration because with the
firewall turned off everything is working fine.

I can only think that the (Windows XP Pro SP2) Firewall is considering the
10.2.0.0 subnet as a not directly reachable destination and therefore
blocking the File and Printer Sharing requests?

Any help on solving this would be most greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

James

PS: I have thought that adding a static route on PC0009 to PC0006 may solve
the problem but I haven't been able to test this theory yet as I'm not at the
office at the moment ;)

Bob McCoy [MSFT]

Dec 21, 2004, 7:39:39 PM12/21/04
When you enable the pre-defined File and Printer Sharing exception, Windows
Firewall also allows incoming ICMP Echo messages. Can you ping the other
system by name and by address?

--
Bob McCoy
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

"James Duncan" <James...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message