Error 501

adam

Jun 30, 2009, 11:04:01 AM6/30/09
Hi:

Running Win XP Pro and IE 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234. When
composing text in an email, I used to be able to right-click the highlighted
font and change colors. Now I get the 501 error. I can use the toolbar to
change font color, but this is new.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Bruce Hagen

Jun 30, 2009, 11:36:15 AM6/30/09
Test this in a new named identity.

You may have a damaged identity especially if it is the default Main
Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new one and test it.
If all is well, you can import your messages and Address Book from the old
identity and delete it.

Note: Do not use the word Main in the name of the new identity.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169

An Outlook Express basic repair kit:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/oerepair.mspx#EHH
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"adam" <ad...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

adam

Jun 30, 2009, 12:40:01 PM6/30/09

Hi Bruce:

Wish the solution were that easy. I created a second identity but remain
with the same issue.

Adam

Bruce Hagen

Jun 30, 2009, 12:43:36 PM6/30/09

Please post the error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to
highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"adam" <ad...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

adam

Jun 30, 2009, 1:10:01 PM6/30/09

Here is a screen capture image: left- or right-clicking on the error message
was not permitted.

http://upload.pbase.com/adamstuart/image/114454452/original

Bruce Hagen

Jun 30, 2009, 1:35:27 PM6/30/09
A few things to try. Close OE first and reopen after each of these options.

Try going to Start | Run and copy/paste

regsvr32 inetcomm.dll

Internet Explorer | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced Tab. Under Browsing,
uncheck: Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages. Under HTTP 1.1 Settings,
uncheck: Use HTTP 1.1.

Go into Internet Options | Security tab and click the Custom Level button.
Under miscellaneous there is a heading "Navigate sub frames across different
domains". This has to be set as "Enable". Change it for the Internet and
Trusted sites.

Restart after doing all the above if the issue remains.

--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"adam" <ad...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 30, 2009, 1:44:44 PM6/30/09
[This is an HTML reply, crossposted to OE General newsgroup.  Please access this thread/post and reply to it via OE by clicking on the following link: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress ]

Ya learn something new every day.  Never knew you could do that!
Is the computer fully patched at Windows Update?

Does the behavior persist in (1) a new identity in (2) a new or different User Account (AKA Windows Log-on)?

OE Tools | Options | Security: Is OE running in the default Restricted Sites zone?

IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Accessibility: Is anything here checked/enabled?

What you describe is not an unknown behavior but we haven't seen a post about it in a few years; cf. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/search?q=501+%22permission+denied%22+%2B+font+%2B+mvp&start=0&scoring=d

adam

Jun 30, 2009, 1:56:01 PM6/30/09
Hi Bruce:

FIXED! Since there were two variables in the last instruction ("Navigate sub

frames across different domains". This has to be set as "Enable". Change it

for the Internet and Trusted sites), I tested Internet first and then
Trusted Sites. Only after bulleting "Enable" for Trusted Sites did the Error
501 disappear.

Thank you very much for troubleshooting a minor inconvenience with me.

Adam

Bruce Hagen

Jun 30, 2009, 2:01:57 PM6/30/09
You're welcome & Google helped.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"adam" <ad...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

new_...@email.msn.com

Jun 30, 2009, 2:07:19 PM6/30/09

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

[This is an HTML reply, crossposted to OE General newsgroup. Please access
this thread/post and reply to it via OE by clicking on the following link:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress ]

Ya learn something new every day. Never knew you could do that!

Is the computer fully patched at Windows Update? YES, although I have a
current Open Ticket in the Windows Update Forum since a second issue that I
have is the Error OX8DDD0004. Windows MSRT found nothing.

Does the behavior persist in (1) a new identity YES in (2) a new or
different User Account (AKA Windows Log-on)? Do not know

OE Tools | Options | Security: Is OE running in the default Restricted Sites

zone? Yes

IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Accessibility: Is anything here

checked/enabled? Nothing is bulleted

What you describe is not an unknown behavior but we haven't seen a post

about it in a few years; cf. Yes, I found these before posting my query.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 30, 2009, 2:03:40 PM6/30/09

[OE should be running in Restricted Sites zone, Adam, for your security.]

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 30, 2009, 3:51:34 PM6/30/09
Adam, please don't attempt to post your answers in-line. Thanks.

I suspect your OE problems, your Windows Update, and your third* problem are
related. See my reply to your thread in Windows Update newsgroup:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/d4bb0cd7db032154

Tip: Do #1, #2, and #3 in my reply to your other thread; or you can open a
no-charge support incident with MS Tech Support using the links in that
reply.

======================
*
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/f5fbe0585ea7dc89

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

new_...@email.msn.com wrote:
<paste>

>> Is the computer fully patched at Windows Update?
>
> YES, although I have a
> current Open Ticket in the Windows Update Forum since a second issue that
> have is the Error OX8DDD0004. Windows MSRT found nothing.

>> Does the behavior persist in (1) a new identity
>
> YES

>> in (2) a new or
>> different User Account (AKA Windows Log-on)?
>
> Do not know

</paste>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> [This is an HTML reply, crossposted to OE General newsgroup. Please
> access
> this thread/post and reply to it via OE by clicking on the following link:
> ]
> Ya learn something new every day. Never knew you could do that!
>
> Is the computer fully patched at Windows Update? YES, although I have a
> current Open Ticket in the Windows Update Forum since a second issue that
> have is the Error OX8DDD0004. Windows MSRT found nothing.
>
> Does the behavior persist in (1) a new identity YES in (2) a new or
> different User Account (AKA Windows Log-on)? Do not know
>
> OE Tools | Options | Security: Is OE running in the default Restricted
> Sites
> zone? Yes
>
> IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Accessibility: Is anything here
> checked/enabled? Nothing is bulleted
>
> What you describe is not an unknown behavior but we haven't seen a post
> about it in a few years; cf. Yes, I found these before posting my query.
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/search?q=501+%22permission+denied%22+%2B+font+%2B+mvp&start=0&scoring=d
>
> cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress/search?q=501+%22permission+denied%22+%2B+font+%2B+mvp&start=0&scoring=d

Bob