Re: funny cookie "~~local~~", can't control it

Message has been deleted

Jan Il

Feb 6, 2005, 11:02:43 AM2/6/05
Hi newsrider3 :-)

If you are sure that you have scanned and cleaned your system completely,
try the following and see if it helps:

How to Delete the Contents of the Temporary Internet Files Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260897
Delete view off-line files not the pages File, Save as.

Clearing the TIF Cache -
Safely Delete the Temporary Internet Files
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

or....

CCleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/
or
http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144-10315544.html

If still no joy, then I suggest that you try the following. Even if you have
already run some programs, run them again according to the instructions in
the information below to thoroughly clean you system. Some variants of
malware can replicate itself and return repeatedly if not cleaned properly.
It is best to read through all the information before you start to know
before hand what you need to do and how. Follow all instructions to letter
as much as possible.

WARNING>>>> Backup all documents and files before removing any spyware!!
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx
Most importantly, be sure to run CWShredder here
Also this program searches for hidden .dlls that recreate the malware.
About Buster:
Then visit these two sites to test for parasites and help basic cleaning:
On-Line Check
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
and
Quick-Fix Protocol.
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
Basically, throw everything here at your "infection".

Also very important, be sure to use the HijackThis. Please DO NOT post your
log to this
newsgroup, but to the HiJackThis Support Forums below:
http://www.hijackthis.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10&guestlanguageid=4
the Aumha HiJackThis Forum
or Bleeping Computer Forum
to allow the experts there to evaluate your log and advise you of any
necessary steps to clean your system.
(Note: You will have to Register before posting on these Forums. Please
follow all posting instructions carefully to avoid having your log deleted
or ignored.

CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs
below, download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

You should also get a copy of WINSOCKXPFIX available at:
and
WinsockXP Fix- WinXP
with instructions, at
http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm
also….. From LavaSoft- all versions of Windows-
http://digital-solutions.co.uk/lavasoft/whndnfix.zip
(NOTE: It is reported that in XP SP2, the command netsh winsock reset
will fix this problem without the need for these programs.)
or Winsock Fix Utility
http://www.dfwonline.net/files/WinsockFix.zip

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Most cookies are easy to control. Just put the domain in restricted zone
or
> make a rule blocking the cookie. But this one has an unusual name,
simply...

> ~~local~~
>
> That's it! There's no username@ prefix as with all other cookies. And the
IE
> security/privacy options won't accept that format. I have no idea where
> where it comes from nor how to prevent it.
>
> All I can think of is that I have a local home page, a simple list of
links
> in html format on a .htm page on my hard drive to the sites I visit most
> frequently. Could that somehow generate a cookie with that strange format?
>
> Could it be something harmful? I've scanned with the usual antivirus,
> antitrojan, antiadware, antispyware utilities.
>
> Ideas?
> --
> newsrider3
> (not a MS-MVP)

Message has been deleted

Jan Il

Feb 6, 2005, 9:25:26 PM2/6/05
Hi newsrider3 :-)

Try deleteing your cookie folder, as it might be corrupted.

Cookies or Cache folder corrupted - This will clear all the Cookies and a
new Folder will be created when you reboot your computer. However, it is
best to make a backup copy of the folder before you delete it. Just make a
copy and give it any new name you wish.

If one folder is corrupt the chances are the TIF file is or will be. So
export your cookies, and then delete both folders. See the following for
information on how to delete the Cookie folder.

Browser is not set to accept cookies, but it is
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#cookies
(See the part on how to delete it and create a new Cookie folder)

also......

Clear out temporary files and delete cookies.
http://www.pchell.com/support/privacy.shtml

and.......

Here's more information on Cookies.
The Cookie Concept
http://www.cookiecentral.com/content.phtml?area=2&id=1

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> It deletes OK when I clear my cookies or TIF, but it eventually returns
> within a week or so. I have no idea where it comes from, nor how to
prevent
> it. I have all of those references you gave and there is no known bad
stuff
> on my computer.

> --
> newsrider3
> (not a MS-MVP)
>

> "Jan Il" <ab...@localhost.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Jan Il

Feb 7, 2005, 8:52:35 AM2/7/05
Hi newsrider3 :-)

> It's not that simple.
> There are 7 cookies folders and 7 temporary internet files folders on my
XP
> Home.
> Which one(s) do I delete?

7 ??!! I've not heard of that one, although, I have XP Pro. Let me check
and 'll get back with you shortly.

Jan :)

> --
> newsrider3
> (not a MS-MVP)

Jan Il

Feb 7, 2005, 3:01:36 PM2/7/05
Hi newsrider3 :-)

> It's not that simple.
> There are 7 cookies folders and 7 temporary internet files folders on my
XP
> Home.
> Which one(s) do I delete?

I have discussed the matter of your problem with a few of the experts here,
and here's the recommendation:

Courtesy of Wesley Vogal - MS MVP

/quote/

There doesn't seem to be a problem to me.

[["~~local~~" refers to a local cookie.
This cookie is set when you view a file locally on your hard-drive. ]]
Opentracker.net forum ~ View topic - cookie question / identification:
"~~local~~"
http://www.opentracker.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199&view=next

[[When it references the local HTML page, the temporary Internet files cache
in Internet Explorer indicates that the path to the local HTML page is
referenced as "~~local~~". This reference is simply a marker to indicate
that that content exists in the My Computer security zone. If the
InternetGetCookie function is called by passing in the "~~local~~"
reference, the function does not find the cookie because the folder does not
physically exist on the local computer. ]]
How to Use the InternetGetCookie() Function to Retrieve Local Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306354

Additionally;

This will open the Cookies folder of whoever is logged on.

Paste this in the Start | Run box:

%HOMEPATH%\Cookies

Click OK or hit your Enter key.

/end quote/

As I have not seen this issue before, I wanted to double check with the
experts before going further.

I am in hopes this information will answer your question about the ~~local~~
cookie you are seeing. :-)

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Jan Il

Feb 7, 2005, 10:51:42 PM2/7/05
Hi newsrider3 :-)

A bit more on this...

Try opening the ~~local~~ and see what's in it. Even without a name you
should be able to tell where they're from. Just go into the Windows
Explorer, find the Cookie in the Cookie forder for your User file, or which
ever profile it is in, and right click on it, then click Open. It should
open in NotePad. You can then see what it says. It might look something
along the lines of this:

MC1 GUID=a3a7882aa4c83441aed144692afb9c7d&HASH=2a88&LV=20052&V=3
microsoft.com/1024 2330023936 29812409 1810616784 29691271 *

If you're not sure, copy and paste it back here and I'll have a look at it.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd report back on this, I'd be most
interested to see what you find. :-)

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> It's not that simple.

> There are 7 cookies folders and 7 temporary internet files folders on my
XP
> Home.
> Which one(s) do I delete?

> --
> newsrider3
> (not a MS-MVP)
>

> "Jan Il" <ab...@localhost.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Jan Il

Feb 8, 2005, 2:15:01 PM2/8/05
Hi newsrider3 :-)

> OK, will do when a ~~local~~ cookie returns. So far it hasn't.

I'll check back here for a few days more. But, if it goes pas that, then
please feel free to PING me on the newsgroup and I'll get back with you.
There may be more to this than on the surface. Hopefully, not, and you have
now seen the last of it for good. :-)

Jan :)