OE and McAfee Site Advisor

SoCalCommie

Dec 23, 2007, 7:15:26 AM12/23/07
Have lived with the 'Handles' problem since its inception. As of yesterday
the problem appears to have been fixed. The current version I'm using is
2.6.0.6253. Just thought the group would like to know.

--
SoCalCommie
http://so-la-i.com/

PA Bear

Dec 23, 2007, 10:35:49 AM12/23/07
Had you uninstalled Site Advisor earlier and did you then install
v2.6.0.6253 yesterday?

Are you running Site Advisor free plug-in or is Site Advisor part of a
McAfee suite (http://us.mcafee.com/root/product.asp?productid=comparison)?

This problem had been discussed in the following long-running thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/1580bf939a915741/cfbfa92eb2640aab
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

SoCalCommie

Dec 23, 2007, 11:39:18 AM12/23/07
"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Never stopped using it (the free plug-in), I just put up with the OE errors.
I'm assuming whatever auto update occured in the past day or so has fixed
the problem - I've had OE open for over 36 hours now without an error.
'Handles' are running about 20k to 22k (and they go down as well as up).

--
SoCalCommie
http://so-la-i.com/

PA Bear

Dec 23, 2007, 1:30:01 PM12/23/07

SoCalCommie wrote:
>> SoCalCommie wrote:
>>> Have lived with the 'Handles' problem since its inception. As of
>>> yesterday
>>> the problem appears to have been fixed. The current version I'm using is
>>> 2.6.0.6253. Just thought the group would like to know.
>>

> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Had you uninstalled Site Advisor earlier and did you then install
>> v2.6.0.6253 yesterday?
>>
>> Are you running Site Advisor free plug-in or is Site Advisor part of a
>> McAfee suite
>> (http://us.mcafee.com/root/product.asp?productid=comparison)?
>>
>> This problem had been discussed in the following long-running thread:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/1580bf939a915741/cfbfa92eb2640aab
>> --

> Never stopped using it (the free plug-in), I just put up with the OE
> errors.
> I'm assuming whatever auto update occured in the past day or so has fixed
> the problem - I've had OE open for over 36 hours now without an error.
> 'Handles' are running about 20k to 22k (and they go down as well as up).

Thanks very much for this feeback.

Did you have to check for & install an updated version or did it just stop
interfering with OE?
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear

Dec 23, 2007, 1:33:54 PM12/23/07
PA Bear wrote:

>>> Had you uninstalled Site Advisor earlier and did you then install
>>> v2.6.0.6253 yesterday?
>>>
>>> Are you running Site Advisor free plug-in or is Site Advisor part of a
>>> McAfee suite
>>> (http://us.mcafee.com/root/product.asp?productid=comparison)?
>>>
>>> This problem had been discussed in the following long-running thread:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/1580bf939a915741/cfbfa92eb2640aab
>>> --
>> Never stopped using it (the free plug-in), I just put up with the OE
>> errors.
>> I'm assuming whatever auto update occured in the past day or so has fixed
>> the problem - I've had OE open for over 36 hours now without an error.
>> 'Handles' are running about 20k to 22k (and they go down as well as up).
>
> Thanks very much for this feeback.
>
> Did you have to check for & install an updated version or did it just stop
> interfering with OE?

PS: It was Site Advisor v2.5.0.6172 that was giving us all the trouble.

Kathy

Dec 23, 2007, 4:34:06 PM12/23/07
I had uninstalled version 2.5.0.6172 of SA and everything was fine
then. Based on SoCalCommie's message above, I reinstalled SA from
McAfee but still got the old version. No new version was offered. I
wonder if the new version is Site Advisor Plus only, and not the basic
version which is free and included in the McAfee Suite? If I start to
get memory messages in OE again, of course I'll uninstall it again.
Kathy

PA Bear

Dec 23, 2007, 4:44:06 PM12/23/07
Downloaded/installed/running v2.6.0.6253 here.

Try "Get the latest version" link from SA dropdown menu in the toolbar;
or...

1. Uninstall SA, if installed.

2. Run the McAfee removal tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=4105&partner (check
the log afterward for some surprises)

3. Download & use a fresh copy of the installer from www.siteadvisor.com

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

SoCalCommie

Dec 23, 2007, 5:14:31 PM12/23/07
"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I checked it after the fact (this morning). It just stopped interfering with
OE sometime the day before yesterday (12-21).

--
SoCalCommie
http://so-la-i.com/

~Carol

Dec 23, 2007, 5:27:00 PM12/23/07
Thanks SoCalCommie and PA Bear. I'm now running v2.6.0.6253. I've tested
a few messages, which previously would have caused OE to crash with the
prior version installed. *So far* .. so good. :)

SoCalCommie

Dec 23, 2007, 5:53:15 PM12/23/07
"~Carol" <Ca...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanks SoCalCommie and PA Bear. I'm now running v2.6.0.6253. I've
> tested
> a few messages, which previously would have caused OE to crash with the
> prior version installed. *So far* .. so good. :)

You're welcome. If you would, please indicate OS version and IE version so
the group can verify the fix across various combinations of SW installed
(mine is the same as PABear's: XP & IE7)

--
SoCalCommie
http://so-la-i.com/

Gary Brandenburg

Dec 23, 2007, 6:12:24 PM12/23/07

"SoCalCommie" <nos...@nowhere.non> wrote in message

XP Home Edition/IE 7.0.5730.13 here.

~Gary

~Carol

Dec 23, 2007, 6:31:01 PM12/23/07
XP SP2 & IE6

For the record:
I originally uninstalled SA from both IE & FF. I reinstalled the
free plug-in for FF on Dec 11th. (Version: 26.6 Build: 6254)
No problems w/OE after doing so.

Kathy

Dec 23, 2007, 10:08:17 PM12/23/07
All is good. I just downloaded the latest version 2.6.0.6253 from the
siteadvisor site. My first try was via the update pages of the McAfee
Security Suite so apparently the SA attached to the Suite is not the
latest and greatest. I will say tho that in the 6 hours between
downloads, I did not have any OE freezes and the "handles" stayed very
low in the 26000 range even tho I had opened several large attachments
and did some housekeeping of emails which used to guarantee a freeze.
Hmmmm. Using XP 2, and IE7.

Kathy

PA Bear

Dec 24, 2007, 12:20:26 AM12/24/07

Look in C:\Program Files\Site Advisor: Is there a numbered subfolder /other
than/ 6253? If so, what is it/are they?

SoCalCommie

Dec 24, 2007, 12:54:42 AM12/24/07
"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nope.
BTW... I've chosen a large message and scrolled it up & down multiple time
while watching the 'Handles' in Task Manager" and the count doesn't change
much... (it used to increase on every scroll). I'm convinced that the
problem is solved!