[MakerBot] stepper driven extruder

Roger Walsberg

May 24, 2010, 3:28:16 PM5/24/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Can somebody point me in the direction of some instruction on how to set up the extruder board to run a stepper?

--
Thanks. Roger

JohnA.

May 24, 2010, 3:42:34 PM5/24/10
to MakerBot Operators
There was a big thread about this just a few days ago. It requires
recompiling the firmware as well as some wiring changes, heat sinks,
and other bits if I remember correctly. If you browse the subjects
you'll probably see it.

JohnA.

Rick Pollack

May 24, 2010, 8:21:57 PM5/24/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
If you want to run the stepper directly from the extruder controller (not recommended) then the instructions are here. (just don't use 255 for the PWM value...that is way too high and will cause problems.)

If you are looking to use the extruder controller to drive a stepper controller using RepG (works well)...you can use D9 and D10. If you use a standard mBot stepper controller v2.3 you need dir, step and enable (just jumper enable pin to ground).You'll need to modify the firmware to support the controller. If interested (and someone else doesn't post the instructions) I'll get my stepper extruder code cleaned up. It will likely be at least several days before I can get to it though..

Rick

Roger Walsberg

May 24, 2010, 8:52:02 PM5/24/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I AM interested!  Let me know when you get it cleaned up. I want to make a new extruder and drive it with steppers. Thank you!

Sent from phone

Rick Pollack

Jun 8, 2010, 11:40:39 PM6/8/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
fyi - i have not forgotten about this...

Rick Pollack

Jun 13, 2010, 11:17:19 PM6/13/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Attached is v1.8 extruder controller code for running a stepper extruder using a separate stepper controller. To use a v2.3 stepper driver connect the D9 pin to Dir, D10 to Step and ground the Enable pin (to activate). The code still needs some work but it is functional as is. And, more importantly, being able to really control the flow rate opens up a lot of interesting possibilities. The object in the photo was printed at 60mm/s with 0.35mm nozzle at 12RPM. The stepper can go a lot faster. A person in the RepRap IRC channel reported printing a usable Mendel vertex in about 15 minutes using a 0.5mm nozzle. Other people have been experimenting with 1mm nozzles. Rapid printing of usable objects...

Add'l details here

Use

M108 S255
M108 RXX

in your gcode to run the stepper controller.
RXX = RPM.
M108 R10 = 10 RPM

Rick
Stepper Extruder Mounted in Cupcake.jpg
ArduinoSlaveExtruder.zip

Jordan Miller

Jun 13, 2010, 11:33:44 PM6/13/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Rick,

this is super exciting thank you. I'm going to throw it into the MakerBot github repo as a branch from 1.8hbp master. using git hopefully I can merge it with revarLCD branch as well. then we'll really be cooking.

do you know exactly the date you pulled the code down before you started hacking on it? if we know that date then I can rebase future changes and automagically upgrade your code too if needed (though I think v1.8hbp was the last in that branch).

jordan

<Stepper Extruder Mounted in Cupcake.jpg>
<ArduinoSlaveExtruder.zip>

Rick Pollack

Jun 14, 2010, 5:39:55 AM6/14/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Jordan - you are welcome. it looks like I pulled it down on 1/24/10. It did not require a lot of changes so if necessary I can isolate the changes...just let me know.

Rick

Mark Cohen

Jun 28, 2010, 1:15:49 PM6/28/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I would like to modify the v2  firmware to turn on the stepper extruder. But I have a few questions…

1-What IDE do I use?

2-When I make a change do I then use Scons to build and not the IDE?

3-Is testing done by uploading the firmware and testing on the hardware?

4-Is all the code that I need to modify under the V2 folder? I see Rick made changes to the ArduinoSlaveExtruder. Will that get picked up?

Thanks.

Henrik Kullmann

Jul 21, 2010, 8:20:29 AM7/21/10
to MakerBot Operators

You just run the "scons -f -------" and it should work. There is a
patch for Sconscript for XP. I worked on the environment variables and
the patch to get it working, and ended up doing the upload manually
i.e. copy paste from the command prompt.
I will try to run the v1.8 firmware with stepper control active. This
is done through the Arduino IDE software. I was stopped by a missing
'ioctnl.h'.

If this doesnt work either I will go for the RepRap software instead
of ReplicatorG.

A hardware stepper controller takes the DC motor output and turn the
stepper motor would solve the software problem and the 'not
recommended' use of the stepper driver on the extrder board.

On 28 Jun., 19:15, "Mark Cohen" <markcoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to modify the v2  firmware to turn on the stepper extruder. But
> I have a few questions.
>
> 1-What IDE do I use?
>
> 2-When I make a change do I then use Scons to build and not the IDE?
>
> 3-Is testing done by uploading the firmware and testing on the hardware?
>
> 4-Is all the code that I need to modify under the V2 folder? I see Rick made
> changes to the ArduinoSlaveExtruder. Will that get picked up?
>
> Thanks.

Henrik Kullmann

Jul 21, 2010, 8:20:59 AM7/21/10
to MakerBot Operators

You just run the "scons -f -------" and it should work. There is a
patch for Sconscript for XP. I worked on the environment variables and
the patch to get it working, and ended up doing the upload manually
i.e. copy paste from the command prompt.
I will try to run the v1.8 firmware with stepper control active. This
is done through the Arduino IDE software. I was stopped by a missing
'ioctnl.h'.

If this doesnt work either I will go for the RepRap software instead
of ReplicatorG.

A hardware stepper controller takes the DC motor output and turn the
stepper motor would solve the software problem and the 'not
recommended' use of the stepper driver on the extrder board.

On 28 Jun., 19:15, "Mark Cohen" <markcoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to modify the v2  firmware to turn on the stepper extruder. But
> I have a few questions.
>
> 1-What IDE do I use?
>
> 2-When I make a change do I then use Scons to build and not the IDE?
>
> 3-Is testing done by uploading the firmware and testing on the hardware?
>
> 4-Is all the code that I need to modify under the V2 folder? I see Rick made
> changes to the ArduinoSlaveExtruder. Will that get picked up?
>
> Thanks.

Henrik Kullmann

Jul 21, 2010, 12:10:11 PM7/21/10
to MakerBot Operators
I have tried to compile Ricks version of the extruder firmware. Moving
the *.h files to the libraries folder in 'arduinoxxxx' helped a lot.
When setting the board to Arduino ..... w/Atmega328 the software
compile but dont upload because the board is a Atmega168.

Settting the boar to Arduino w/atmega168 I get this error

o: In function `__vector_11':
C:\DOCUME~1\HENRIK~1\LOKALE~1\Temp\build6615072793951871476.tmp/
Timer1.cpp:9: multiple definition of `__vector_11'

C:\DOCUME~1\HENRIK~1\LOKALE~1\Temp\build6615072793951871476.tmp\Servo
\Servo.cpp.o:C:\Programmer\arduino-0018\libraries\Servo/Servo.cpp:103:
first defined here

I cant find anything that looks like `__vector_11' in the code.

The Makerbot v1.8 is not working for me either.

C:\Programmer\arduino-0018\libraries\include/termios.h:4:25: error:
sys/termios.h: No such file or directory

C:\Programmer\arduino-0018\libraries\include/sys/ioctl.h:66: error:
expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'ioctl'

In function 'setDTR':
In function 'main':

The termios.h comes in many versions! '\include/termios.h' is calling
'sys/termios.h' which is not present. One in 'machine' is setting tha
max. baud-rate.

Len Trigg

Jul 21, 2010, 4:36:25 PM7/21/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:10 AM, Henrik Kullmann <hen...@tigerbean.dk> wrote:
> Settting the boar to Arduino w/atmega168 I get this error
>
> o: In function `__vector_11':
> C:\DOCUME~1\HENRIK~1\LOKALE~1\Temp\build6615072793951871476.tmp/
> Timer1.cpp:9: multiple definition of `__vector_11'
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\HENRIK~1\LOKALE~1\Temp\build6615072793951871476.tmp\Servo
> \Servo.cpp.o:C:\Programmer\arduino-0018\libraries\Servo/Servo.cpp:103:
> first defined here
>
> I cant find anything that looks like `__vector_11' in the code.

I had this same problem. Some googling suggested that it was a
semi-known problem with this version of arduino env, and that it would
be OK (since we're not using servos) to comment out the function
definition in Servo.cpp, so now the relevant lines of mine looks like
this:

#ifndef WIRING // Wiring pre-defines signal handlers so don't define
any if compiling for the Wiring platform
// Interrupt handlers for Arduino
#if defined(_useTimer1)
#if 0
SIGNAL (TIMER1_COMPA_vect)
{
handle_interrupts(_timer1, &TCNT1, &OCR1A);
}
#endif
#endif

After that it compiled and installed to the extruder fine (I was using
the G3Firmware from the makerbot git master, rather than Rick's
patched one).

I haven't tried compiling the motherboard firmware.

Cheers,
Len.

Henrik Kullmann

Jul 22, 2010, 3:55:53 PM7/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
I was able to compile and upload once. The firmware was not running
well and I decided to see if the standard v1.8w/heat..... had the same
errors. Surprised when the stepper motor moved forward and backwards
operated from the control panel.

But it was not stable. Sometimes the motor run smooth and with high
torque and sometimes it ratles forward an backwards.

An now I have troubles again compiling the firmware :-(

> I had this same problem. Some googling suggested that it was a
> semi-known problem with this version of arduino env, and that it would
> be OK (since we're not using servos) to comment out the function
> definition in Servo.cpp, so now the relevant lines of mine looks like
> this:
>
> #ifndef WIRING // Wiring pre-defines signal handlers so don't define
> any if compiling for the Wiring platform
> // Interrupt handlers for Arduino
> #if defined(_useTimer1)
> #if 0
> SIGNAL (TIMER1_COMPA_vect)
> {
>   handle_interrupts(_timer1, &TCNT1, &OCR1A);}
>
> #endif
> #endif
>
> After that it compiled and installed to theextruderfine (I was using

Rick Pollack

Jul 22, 2010, 3:57:00 PM7/22/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Sorry - just reading this...

What exactly is the problem?

Henrik Kullmann

Jul 22, 2010, 5:03:28 PM7/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
I am building a Mendel printer and I would like to run it using
ReplicatorG, just like the Makerbot we have.

I had trouble to compile the firmware for the extruder. The advise
from Len helped and I was able to upload the v1.8 firmware with the
'motor_type=2' change. THis was not working the first time so I tried
to run the official v.1.8.

I tried to go back to compile and upload the changed firmware but I
get a new compile error:

In member function 'char* extruder::processCommand(char*)':
error: 'itoa' was not declared in this scope

May be I have messed up the installation on my XP (danish version). I
will try from another XP box.
> > .

Rick Pollack

Jul 22, 2010, 6:17:56 PM7/22/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
What happens if you start over...can you compile a fresh version of the 1.8 firmware?

Henrik Kullmann

Jul 22, 2010, 6:35:53 PM7/22/10
to MakerBot Operators

On 23 Jul., 00:17, Rick Pollack <r...@makergear.com> wrote:
> What happens if you start over...can you compile a fresh version of the 1.8
> firmware?
>
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Henrik Kullmann <hen...@tigerbean.dk>wrote:

The file sys/ioctl.h is not found and it is not a part of the
Arduino-0018 installation. I think I found the file in the Cygwin
library on the first XP-box.

An earlier thread implies that this error has been corrected on the
version on the Github. I downloaded the Zip file dated 30. of march. I
will try and get the github version tomorrow.

Henrik Kullmann

Jul 23, 2010, 8:14:11 AM7/23/10
to MakerBot Operators
A succes

The source 'v1.8 w heated...' on http://github.com/makerbot/G3Firmware/downloads
don't compile because of togglDTR.c which should be deleted. There is
a remark on http://github.com/makerbot/G3Firmware (source).

The stepper motor is running fine with Replcatorg 0017 with the latest
firmware for the mainboard and of course the v1.8 for the extruder
board. The motor_style is set to '2'.

If I set the PWM to 100 the torque is to low I think and if I set the
PWM to 200 the motor gets unstable somtimes and is going forwards and
backwards. PWM of 150 seems to fine.

Next step is to actually do some extruding ;-)

Len Trigg

Jul 23, 2010, 7:23:12 PM7/23/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I have tried to put together an initial page on the MakerBot wiki
describing how to go about using a stepper driven extruder. Please add
any additional information as necessary:

http://wiki.makerbot.com/stepper-driven-extruder

Cheers,
Len.

Rick Pollack

Jul 23, 2010, 9:40:34 PM7/23/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Great! I've started adding some content.

The changes I made to the v1.8 firmware are enough to get started. The code can certainly be improved...

Rick Pollack

Jul 23, 2010, 10:15:51 PM7/23/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
And, Len , I voted for Issue #48 :)

Mark Cohen

Jul 23, 2010, 11:27:42 PM7/23/10
to make...@googlegroups.com, make...@googlegroups.com
That's great stuff. I'm building my second cupcake this weekend and hope to start playing with this.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

Len Trigg

Jul 25, 2010, 8:45:34 PM7/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
FYI, yesterday I got my first prints out of my mendel using an
extruder controller board driven wade extruder! I had a couple of
attempts last week, but had PLA leaks and pushed the barrels out of my
initial hot ends. I am now using almost exactly a standard mendel hot
end, 0.5mm nozzle.

I'm using extruder firmware compiled as per the wiki page, extruding
Vik's 4042D PLA, with PWM=140, RPM=10, feed-rate=33mm/sec,
layer-height=0.35mm. The rpmify skeinforge plugin works no worries so
far. Temperature was set such that I could push the PLA through the
hot end by hand, but when I stop pushing there is only a slow ooze
similar to what I get on my makerbot with ABS - 152C on my
uncalibrated thermistor, but this is at least 25C below what my
thermocouple said.

Stuff to do:

- Play with varying the speed around a bit, both overall and during a
print (slower perimeters etc).
- Utilize the a pololu board that just arrived to make things
quieter/smoother (the extruder controller is currently not giving any
problems with skipping etc though, maybe when I get to higher RPMs).
- Build a stepper extruder for my makerbot.

Cheers,
Len.

ddurant

Aug 19, 2010, 3:56:38 PM8/19/10
to MakerBot Operators
> I'm using extruder firmware compiled as per the wiki page...

It looks like there's a new (beta) firmware in town from MBI that
supports stepper extruders. It may not prompt you to upgrade but RepG
know about it already...

On Jul 25, 8:45 pm, Len Trigg <len...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI, yesterday I got my first prints out of my mendel using an
> extruder controller board driven wade extruder! I had a couple of
> attempts last week, but had PLA leaks and pushed the barrels out of my
> initial hot ends. I am now using almost exactly a standard mendel hot
> end, 0.5mm nozzle.
>
> I'm using extruder firmware compiled as per the wiki page, extruding
> Vik's 4042D PLA, with PWM=140, RPM=10, feed-rate=33mm/sec,
> layer-height=0.35mm. The rpmify skeinforge plugin works no worries so
> far. Temperature was set such that I could push the PLA through the
> hot end by hand, but when I stop pushing there is only a slow ooze
> similar to what I get on my makerbot with ABS - 152C on my
> uncalibrated thermistor, but this is at least 25C below what my
> thermocouple said.
>
> Stuff to do:
>
> - Play with varying the speed around a bit, both overall and during a
> print (slower perimeters etc).
> - Utilize the a pololu board that just arrived to make things
> quieter/smoother (the extruder controller is currently not giving any
> problems with skipping etc though, maybe when I get to higher RPMs).
> - Build astepperextruder for my makerbot.
>
> Cheers,
> Len.
>

> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Len Trigg <len...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have tried to put together an initial page on the MakerBot wiki
> > describing how to go about using astepperdriven extruder. Please add
> > any additional information as necessary:
>
> >http://wiki.makerbot.com/stepper-driven-extruder
>
> > Cheers,
> > Len.
>
> > On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Henrik Kullmann <hen...@tigerbean.dk> wrote:
> >> A succes
>
> >> The source 'v1.8 w heated...' onhttp://github.com/makerbot/G3Firmware/downloads
> >> don't compile because of togglDTR.c which should be deleted. There is
> >> a remark onhttp://github.com/makerbot/G3Firmware(source).
>
> >> Thesteppermotor is running fine with Replcatorg 0017 with the latest
> >> firmware for the mainboard and of course the v1.8 for the extruder
> >> board. The motor_style is set to '2'.
>
> >> If I set the PWM to 100 the torque is to low I think and if I set the
> >> PWM to 200 the motor gets unstable somtimes and is going forwards and
> >> backwards. PWM of 150 seems to fine.
>
> >> Next step is to actually do some extruding ;-)

Len Trigg

Aug 25, 2010, 5:23:42 AM8/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I got a chance to try the new beta stepper extruder firmware but did
not have any luck so far. There was some wiggling of the stepper and
the h-bridges got very hot before I shut it down.

Has anyone else tried this out yet?

Cheers,
Len.

Koen Kooi

Aug 25, 2010, 6:38:29 AM8/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

Op 25 aug 2010, om 11:23 heeft Len Trigg het volgende geschreven:

> I got a chance to try the new beta stepper extruder firmware but did
> not have any luck so far. There was some wiggling of the stepper and
> the h-bridges got very hot before I shut it down.
>
> Has anyone else tried this out yet?

There have been a few fixes in the past week, do you have all those?

regards,

Koen

Len Trigg

Aug 25, 2010, 2:57:49 PM8/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I did it last night with the most recent one available (I think it
said r4)

Cheers,
Len.

Jordan Miller

Aug 25, 2010, 8:15:36 PM8/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
what is the resistance of your motor coils? they need to be at least 10 ohm to avoid frying your h-bridges

jordan

>>> --
>>>

>> --

Len Trigg

Aug 25, 2010, 8:51:52 PM8/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'll measure it, but it works fine with the 1.8 stepper firmware!
Sounds like the new firmware needs a max PWM scaling factor.

Have you (or anyone else) actually had any success with the new
stepper firmware?

Cheers,
Len.