mendel firmware settings for makerbot

rbisping

Jan 5, 2010, 6:23:29 PM1/5/10
to MakerBot Operators
Ive been looking at installing a stepper based extruder on my makerbot
and it appears that i will have to switch to the mendel firmware to do
so. My real question is what are the steps per mm on each axis on a
makerbot. havent been able to find that number anywhere. If i have to
i can work it out by trial and error but was hoping that someone at
makerbot would have the numbers already.

Rick Pollack

Jan 5, 2010, 6:36:55 PM1/5/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried using a stepper with the existing firmware? I have not fully implemented one yet but I did get to the point of doing a test print (the stepper was driven by RepG/firmware but it was not attached to the rest of the extruder). So, I know that at least base stepper functionality is implemented...

Ethan Dicks

Jan 5, 2010, 6:39:27 PM1/5/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM, rbisping <wizzm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

If at all possible, could the answer come with intermediate steps
shown? Since I'm working towards a Mendel at some point, I'm eager to
see how those sorts of calibration calculations work.

-ethan

Rick Pollack

Jan 5, 2010, 8:16:45 PM1/5/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
But to answer your mm/step question:

pitch diameter of standard X & Y pulley = 10.8204mm (0.426")
pulley circumference = 2 * pi * 5.410 = 33.9932891 mm
rounded: 34mm / 400 steps = ~0.085mm / step
or 400 steps / 33.9932 mm = 11.767 (the scale value for X&Y in machines.xml)

rbisping

Jan 6, 2010, 2:20:46 AM1/6/10
to MakerBot Operators
thank you for the info on the values and also how did you get the
stepper functionality to work with the makerbot extruder firmware? I
have tried it several times and have not gotten any sucess out of it.
does it also require the additional wires that are part of the mendel
to function or did you use a stepper board attached to the motor
instead of the extruder board?

On Jan 5, 5:16 pm, Rick Pollack <r...@makergear.com> wrote:
> But to answer your mm/step question:
>
> pitch diameter of standard X & Y pulley = 10.8204mm (0.426")
> pulley circumference = 2 * pi * 5.410 = 33.9932891 mm
> rounded: 34mm / 400 steps = ~0.085mm / step
> or 400 steps / 33.9932 mm = 11.767 (the scale value for X&Y in machines.xml)
>

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM, rbisping <wizzman6...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Ive been looking at installing a stepper based extruder on my makerbot
> > > and it appears that i will have to switch to the mendel firmware to do
> > > so. My real question is what are the steps per mm on each axis on a
> > > makerbot. havent been able to find that number anywhere. If i have to
> > > i can work it out by trial and error but was hoping that someone at
> > > makerbot would have the numbers already.
>
> > If at all possible, could the answer come with intermediate steps
> > shown?  Since I'm working towards a Mendel at some point, I'm eager to
> > see how those sorts of calibration calculations work.
>
> > -ethan
>
> > --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at

> >http://groups.google.com/group/makerbot?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

TeamTeamUSA

Jan 6, 2010, 3:53:50 AM1/6/10
to MakerBot Operators
Rick,

How did you calculate the pitch diameter of the pulleys? A caliper
while the belt was tensioned less some factor?

Go!

=ml=

On Jan 5, 5:16 pm, Rick Pollack <r...@makergear.com> wrote:

> But to answer your mm/step question:
>
> pitch diameter of standard X & Y pulley = 10.8204mm (0.426")
> pulley circumference = 2 * pi * 5.410 = 33.9932891 mm
> rounded: 34mm / 400 steps = ~0.085mm / step
> or 400 steps / 33.9932 mm = 11.767 (the scale value for X&Y in machines.xml)
>

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM, rbisping <wizzman6...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Ive been looking at installing a stepper based extruder on my makerbot
> > > and it appears that i will have to switch to the mendel firmware to do
> > > so. My real question is what are the steps per mm on each axis on a
> > > makerbot. havent been able to find that number anywhere. If i have to
> > > i can work it out by trial and error but was hoping that someone at
> > > makerbot would have the numbers already.
>
> > If at all possible, could the answer come with intermediate steps
> > shown?  Since I'm working towards a Mendel at some point, I'm eager to
> > see how those sorts of calibration calculations work.
>
> > -ethan
>
> > --

> > makerbot+u...@googlegroups.com<makerbot%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Rick Pollack

Jan 6, 2010, 11:30:24 AM1/6/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
@Miles - from the supplier. SPD-SI in this case.

It has been a couple of months since I did this and I don't recall all of the details but it along these lines:

add: motor_steps="400" to the <tool name="Pinch Wheel Extruder v1.1" ...> line in machines.xml. This should reveal a new field "Motor Speed (RPM)" in RepG control panel.

In  Configuration.h in the extruder firmware you need to uncomment:
//STEPPER
//define MOTOR_STYLE 2  <-- uncomment

then comment out
//PWM
#define MOTOR_STYLE 0  <--- comment out

then re-compile/upload to enable stepping.

Then hook up your motor to extruder motor ports A & B. If you are using the Keling nema 23 motor then you need to wire it Bipolar Series (See attached PDF for wiring details). If you are using the standard Nema 17 then wire it Yellow, Red, Black, Orange (I think).

Then, you should be able to test it from Control Panel in RepG. You need to have values in both the motor fields. Try 255 in PWM and 100 in RPM and work from there.

To use the stepper from G-code you need two M108 lines like this:

M108 S255
M108 R100

and you will as far along as I was...next step...actually try to print something...

Zaggo posted about his experience running a stepper here. (but for some reason it is not loading properly for me - just keeps loading and reloading...hmmm).

Rick

KL23H51-24-8B.pdf

rbisping

Jan 8, 2010, 7:58:43 PM1/8/10
to MakerBot Operators
ok, i was able to get the stepper extruder code compiled and repg to
recognize it properly, I was also able to get repg to create two
extruder control tabs and gave my new extruder controler a address of
1. Now how do i configure it so that it associates ext0 with one tab
and ext1 with the other. right now its only associating 0 with the
second tab regardless. im ---><----- close to having dual printing on
a makerbot, abs and pla :)

On Jan 6, 8:30 am, Rick Pollack <r...@makergear.com> wrote:
> @Miles - from the supplier.

> SPD-SI<https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.asp?Opener=Group&PartID=59412&Gr...>in

> here<http://pleasantsoftware.com/developer/3d/2009/10/12/steptruder-aka-pr...>.

> (but for some reason it is not loading properly for me - just keeps loading
> and reloading...hmmm).
>
> Rick
>

> > <makerbot%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<makerbot%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > --
>

>  KL23H51-24-8B.pdf
> 212KViewDownload

Rick Pollack

Jan 8, 2010, 8:00:47 PM1/8/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Please post a photo of your rig!

Rick Pollack

Jan 9, 2010, 12:57:25 AM1/9/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
FYI - The value of 400 is for half stepping. I don't recall if the extruder does half steps.