My Box has gone walkies...

Kussic ☠

May 29, 2011, 10:01:39 AM5/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've spend around 30 minutes looking for my box but could not find it in the pre-defined Members' Boxes area. I must have checked each one of them about 3 or 4 times, to no avail. It's just a standard transparent box with a blue lid that says "Kussic" on the side. It should have at least one duemilanove with associated components and cables, one mobile phone and a DEFCON 18 badge (...at least).

As far as I'm aware there is no other area where we keep the boxes so whoever moved it, I would be grateful if they could let me know where it is as I need access to its contents.

Cheers,

Kussic

6tricky9

May 30, 2011, 6:00:26 AM5/30/11
to London Hackspace

On May 29, 3:01 pm, Kussic ☠ <kus...@chaos6.net> wrote:
> I've spend around 30 minutes looking for my box but could not find it in the
> pre-defined Members' Boxes area. I must have checked each one of them about
> 3 or 4 times, to no avail.

Mine seems to have disappeared as well -- luckily it was currently
empty, but it's still annoying. That area is a mess.

Richard

Russ Garrett

May 30, 2011, 6:13:21 AM5/30/11
On 30 May 2011 11:00, 6tricky9 <6tri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mine seems to have disappeared as well -- luckily it was currently
> empty, but it's still annoying.  That area is a mess.

I think it's generally accepted that empty boxes can be repurposed -
we don't really want to waste expensive shelving on empty boxes.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Jonty Wareing

May 30, 2011, 7:53:12 AM5/30/11
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 03:00:26AM -0700, 6tricky9 wrote:
> Mine seems to have disappeared as well -- luckily it was currently
> empty, but it's still annoying. That area is a mess.

If a box is empty and no new boxes are in stock, it's fine for someone
who requires a box to reclaim an empty one.

Space is a premium and shelving is expensive, please don't keep a box
if you have nothing stored in it.

--jonty

6tricky9

May 31, 2011, 5:02:03 AM5/31/11
to London Hackspace

On May 30, 12:53 pm, Jonty Wareing <jo...@jonty.co.uk> wrote:

> If a box is empty and no new boxes are in stock, it's fine for someone
> who requires a box to reclaim an empty one.

So, If somebody empties *their* labeled box in order to take the
contents home overnight, that person could return the next day, with
the contents, only to find that *their* labeled box has been
"repurposed" -- nice.

Richard

Mark Steward

May 31, 2011, 5:05:19 AM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How else would you have it?  If you've done something surprising, add a label (e.g "my box is only temporarily empty and will be refilled this week 31/5/2011"), and people will leave it alone.

Mark

Catherine Flick

May 31, 2011, 6:07:46 AM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Or just leave a bit of junk in it? :-)

C.

Sam Cook

May 31, 2011, 6:09:47 AM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> If a box is empty and no new boxes are in stock, it's fine for someone
> who requires a box to reclaim an empty one.

So, If somebody empties *their* labeled box in order to take the
contents home overnight, that person could return the next day, with
the contents, only to find that *their* labeled box has been
"repurposed" -- nice.

How else would you have it?  If you've done something surprising, add a label (e.g "my box is only temporarily empty and will be refilled this week 31/5/2011"), and people will leave it alone.

Would be nice if someone who does use another empty (but claimed) box does mail the list telling people that it's been done to avoid situations like this.

That being said even nicer would be if someone uses the last box or sees that they have run out emails the list so we can arrange getting more...

6tricky9

May 31, 2011, 6:54:21 AM5/31/11
to London Hackspace

On May 31, 11:09 am, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would be nice if someone who does use another empty (but claimed) box does
> mail the list telling people that it's been done to avoid situations like
> this.

Or better still, mails the list *before* using somebody else's box.

> That being said even nicer would be if someone uses the last box or sees
> that they have run out emails the list so we can arrange getting more...

Excellent point.

Kusic did have something in his box. Has this been resolved?

There clearly need to be guidelines here otherwise it's everyone for
themselves. What is the current policy?

Richard

Russ Garrett

May 31, 2011, 7:06:22 AM5/31/11
On 31 May 2011 11:54, 6tricky9 <6tri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There clearly need to be guidelines here otherwise it's everyone for
> themselves.  What is the current policy?

We don't like making rules for every eventuality. The rules we do have
are here: http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Rules

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

6tricky9

May 31, 2011, 7:48:41 AM5/31/11
to London Hackspace

On May 31, 12:06 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:

> We don't like making rules for every eventuality. The rules we do have
> are here:http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Rules

"If a box is empty and no new boxes are in stock, it's fine for
someone
who requires a box to reclaim an empty one. "

Is this a rule?

Richard

Russ Garrett

May 31, 2011, 8:13:39 AM5/31/11
On 31 May 2011 12:48, 6tricky9 <6tri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "If a box is empty and no new boxes are in stock, it's fine for
> someone
> who requires a box to reclaim an empty one. "
>
> Is this a rule?

It's not currently on our rules page.

I suggest that if you're looking for somewhere which strictly codifies
your means of interaction with other people, a hackerspace is not it.
I know a number of spaces only have one rule: "Don't force us to
create any rules."

Yes, this sometimes results in friction, but a lot of people find that
preferable to having pages of detailed rules.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Sam Cook

May 31, 2011, 8:25:20 AM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> "If a box is empty and no new boxes are in stock, it's fine for
> someone
> who requires a box to reclaim an empty one. "
>
> Is this a rule?

It's not currently on our rules page.

I think the more general point is that it's not stated anywhere that this is a possibility.

All that being said the central problem is that Kussic box WAS NOT empty and has been moved.

Has it been found yet? If not I'll try leading a expedition into unit 23 to reclaim it this evening.

Jonty Wareing

May 31, 2011, 8:29:04 AM5/31/11
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 04:48:41AM -0700, 6tricky9 wrote:
> "If a box is empty and no new boxes are in stock, it's fine for
> someone who requires a box to reclaim an empty one. "
>
> Is this a rule?

It's just generally the advice given to people who require a box when we
run out - we do not have the resources for people to take up shelf space
unless they actually require it. This was instituted when people
complained about lack of shelving and we discovered that about an eighth
of the storage area was taken up by entirely empty boxes.

While all members are entitled to a box, you shouldn't have one sat
there empty and deprive another member who actually needs it. We have
~280 members, and if everyone claimed their right to a box we'd have to
be renamed London Storagespace.

As has been said elsewhere in the thread, if you want to make sure you
keep your box, all you have to do is leave a note in/on your box saying
"Please don't reclaim me, I'm still needed!", or alternatively just
leave something in it.

Regarding getting more boxes, I'm going to put a note in the bottom box
in the empty stack saying "This is the last box, please email the list
so we can order more".

--jonty

Sam Cook

May 31, 2011, 8:40:38 AM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Ben Blundell

May 31, 2011, 8:49:02 AM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd best get my stuff moved then! :P I'll be down in a few weeks! :D

Ben
(>) SECTION9 * Benjamin Blundell
(>) b...@section9.co.uk * www.section9.co.uk
(>) Code, Design, Graphic, Web

Billy

May 31, 2011, 12:56:03 PM5/31/11
to London Hackspace
All this said, there are empty boxes and lids sitting on the top
shelf.

And more importantly, Kussic's box wasn't empty.

I'll also try to tidy up my crap so i'm taking up less space.

Sorry.

On May 31, 1:49 pm, Ben Blundell <o...@section9.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd best get my stuff moved then! :P I'll be down in a few weeks! :D
>
> Ben
>
> On 31 May 2011 13:40, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Is this a rule?
>
> > I've added a note to rule 6 <http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Rules> [1]
> > and to the membership page<http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Membership#Storage>

Sam Cook

May 31, 2011, 1:22:23 PM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Has it been found yet? If not I'll try leading a expedition into unit 23 to reclaim it this evening.

Kussic's box has been found in the row of shelves facing the window. It's a few away from the wall (possibly 3rd set of shelves).

It seems to contain everything mentioned.

There were several empty boxes; do we think we should give people a heads incase we run out of boxes (although there seems to be a reasonable supply)

Mark Steward

May 31, 2011, 1:30:38 PM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Can't hurt, and might help :)  Are the names familiar, or should we email both lists?

Mark

Will Pearson

May 31, 2011, 1:37:51 PM5/31/11
to London Hackspace
Here is a picture to give some context to help you find it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15509868/2011-05-31_18-07-49_718.jpg

Will

Sam Cook

May 31, 2011, 2:00:19 PM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Can't hurt, and might help :)  Are the names familiar, or should we email both lists?

I've mailed the list [1] and will put it in tomorrows news to be sent out on the announce list.

No names I really knew.

Adrian Godwin

May 31, 2011, 6:33:42 PM5/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Jonty Wareing
On 5/31/11, Jonty Wareing <jo...@jonty.co.uk> wrote:

> While all members are entitled to a box, you shouldn't have one sat
> there empty and deprive another member who actually needs it. We have
> ~280 members, and if everyone claimed their right to a box we'd have to
> be renamed London Storagespace.

Reclaiming unused boxes is fairly straightforward - there's a slight
possibility someone will have to find a new label but there's no harm
done.

A more difficult problem is reclaiming boxes which have contents but
have been forgotten.

It seems reasonable that if members continue to pay their subscription
they should be able to keep a box alive even if they're not actively
using it, but what happens when someone leaves ? When does the box get
recovered and the contents ditched ?

-adrian

Mike

Jun 1, 2011, 5:35:04 AM6/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I don't consider the HackSpace to be a U-Store-IT. The boxes are not,
in my mind, a storage facility, they are a facility to allow you to
leave stuff you're work on at the space for next time, rather than
transporting it and from the space each time. If you want long term
storage, speak to Big Yellow. If you want to keep something safe, speak
to UBS in Zurich.

According to the space website memberes get a box, so it sort of follows
that non-members do not get a box. If you leave, take your sh*t with
you! If you leave it behind, expect it to get hacked/burned/eBayed*.

I'm sure we could set up the membership system to remind departing
members to empty and return their box and well as allowing a grace
period. I'm also sure anyone wanting to be an exception to the above
guidance could make a plea to the list and I'm sure we'd give it due
consideration before deciding if we should play the worlds smallest
violin.

Mike.
* delete as appropriate

signature.asc

Adrian Godwin

Jun 1, 2011, 8:03:04 AM6/1/11
On 6/1/11, Mike <hack...@norgie.net> wrote:

> According to the space website memberes get a box, so it sort of follows
> that non-members do not get a box. If you leave, take your sh*t with
> you! If you leave it behind, expect it to get hacked/burned/eBayed*.

Absolutely.

> I'm sure we could set up the membership system to remind departing
> members to empty and return their box and well as allowing a grace
> period.

Indeed. But at the moment, I couldn't even identify anyone as being an
ex-member (I don't think there's more than a handful anyway) let alone
find a box that could be reused. Could anyone ?

-adrian

-adrian

Kussic

Jun 3, 2011, 3:35:12 PM6/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
W00t! (Yea, just got this... I've been away for a few days!)