reminders

Jasper Wallace

Oct 30, 2011, 11:02:50 AM10/30/11
to london-hack-space

Hi,

My filth tolerance limit was hit today, so i did some tidying up. If this
means your mounds of important or precious things have been thrown out,
tough shit!

Seriously, desks should be clear when you are finished, not covered in
crap, the floor under desks should also be clear, please clean up bit
of cut wires and all the random screws and electronic components that
you've drooped on the floor. The space is not your mothers basement!

I've not hovered cos George's nose is broken again, I've glued it and it's
curing now.

Also:

bikes are not allowed in the space unless you are working on them, they
take up too much space and make it hard to get access to sofas and work
tables, we have space on the balcony outside the entrance for bikes to
be locked up, and if you want more locking space contribute to the bike
chain pledge:

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Pledges/BikeChain

There's also the metal fence in the car park which several people use.

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Earthshine

Oct 30, 2011, 5:57:31 PM10/30/11
to London Hackspace
What happened to the idea of getting a cleaner in?

Sci

Oct 30, 2011, 7:05:31 PM10/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 30/10/2011 21:57, Earthshine wrote:
> What happened to the idea of getting a cleaner in?

I think I skipped the original conversation on that matter, but it seems
a terrible idea for two basic reasons;

# It will decrease respect for the space. If rules aren't enforced then
there is no point in having them. Getting a cleaner to clear up other
peoples messes that they've agreed to clean up as part of the hackspace
rules can only enforce the idea that the rules are pointless.

# A cleaner asked to clean up bits of stray wire and screws won't likely
differentiate between scrap and mid-project patchboards or similar.
Expect a lot of in-progress projects to get thrown out rather than
stuffed in boxes. Okay that's what should be happening anyway to bits
left on surfaces, but I suspect other members like the flexibility of
being able to forget *sometimes*. The problem is this flexibility is
being taken advantage of.

Sorry to say it, but someone simply needs to go through the security cam
footage, find out who is doing it and have a quiet word with them
directly and *privately*. Leaving it to asking on the list only suggests
we can't enforce accountability. The person doing it can only conclude
"Oops, well, got away with it at least. No need to change behaviour."
That's human nature.

Sci

Message has been deleted

Russ Garrett

Oct 31, 2011, 4:50:15 AM10/31/11
On 30 October 2011 23:05, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
> I think I skipped the original conversation on that matter, but it seems
> a terrible idea for two basic reasons;

The boat has already sailed on that - it was decided by consensus in August:

http://groups.google.com/group/london-hack-space/browse_thread/thread/7aa9f5748ae81beb

The cleaner would only be for hoovering and cleaning the toilets, they
would not be cleaning things off the desks so they wouldn't have to
make any judgement calls on whether something is useful.

As far as I recall, Robert was talking to someone to do the cleaning
but there was some delay in getting it organised.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Monty

Oct 31, 2011, 5:18:01 AM10/31/11
to London Hackspace
They're webcams, not security cameras. Their purpose is primarily
entertainment.

On Oct 30, 11:05 pm, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
> [...] security cam footage [...]

Glen

Oct 31, 2011, 5:24:13 AM10/31/11
to London Hackspace
Can we not hire a member as a cleaner? Then we'd have someone able to
make informed judgment calls on what's important.

Glen

On Oct 31, 8:50 am, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 30 October 2011 23:05, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
>
> > I think I skipped the original conversation on that matter, but it seems
> > a terrible idea for two basic reasons;
>
> The boat has already sailed on that - it was decided by consensus in August:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/london-hack-space/browse_thread/thread...
>
> The cleaner would only be for hoovering and cleaning the toilets, they
> would not be cleaning things off the desks so they wouldn't have to
> make any judgement calls on whether something is useful.
>
> As far as I recall, Robert was talking to someone to do the cleaning
> but there was some delay in getting it organised.
>
> --
> Russ Garrett
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Russ Garrett

Oct 31, 2011, 6:13:20 AM10/31/11
On 31 October 2011 09:24, Glen <glen....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we not hire a member as a cleaner? Then we'd have someone able to
> make informed judgment calls on what's important.

We considered doing this but it seemed that nobody was willing to make
the commitment.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Mark Steward

Oct 31, 2011, 6:22:14 AM10/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I also suspect this will cause others to resent not being paid for any cleaning they do.

Mark