Group A: jwhendy, Armok_GoB, SilasBarta, Dorrika

Hendy

Apr 8, 2011, 1:54:34 PM4/8/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
This is a place to hone in on specifics for *Group A* (if you're not
listed, check with the Group B discussion):
- jwhendy
- Armok_GoB
- SilasBarta
- Dorrica

Please suggest a time frame (this week, within next three weeks,
etc.), a couple of weekend afternoons/evenings that work for you, and
ideas for the discussion.

I propose Skype, but if the individuals in your particular group wish
to suggest something else, that's fine.

I'd also suggest *trying* video, but perhaps scratching that if the
conversation gets too choppy or people lose connection, etc.

For me (all in CST, USA):
- Sat 4/16 10a - 4p
- Sun 4/17 12p - 9p
- Sat 4/23 all day is open
- Sun 4/24 12p - 9p

Discussion topics: I'm pretty new; I'd love to hear how some more
experienced folks apply the "Bayesian Conspiracy" (sorry, fresh in
mind from going to the EY's intro) to every day life. I don't know
that I'll be super helpful re. sequences because I'm just formally
going through them now. I've read quite a lot of posts, but not in
order and not always in a focused, study-oriented fashion.

I can tag along if sequences is what's desired, but if I'm a weak
link, perhaps instrumental rationality will be a more fruitful topic?

Dorikka

Apr 8, 2011, 2:30:08 PM4/8/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Skype sounds good.

Times (CST):
4/9-4/10: 1pm-8pm
4/16-4/17: 1pm-8pm
4/23-4.24: 1pm-8pm

Preferred discussion topics: Instrumental rationality, including
willpower restoration techniques. Also, if anyone's managed to apply
Bayescraft usefully in terms of optimizing the world around them with
respect to their utility function (outside of the realm of efficient
charity), I'd be interested in hearing how.

Rasmus Eide

Apr 8, 2011, 3:31:50 PM4/8/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Not sure about times, but if I read you right I'll be fast asleep
every time either of you have time.

Preferred discussion topics: advanced timeless/universal decision
theory, extravagant scifi-ish hypothesizing, dramatic dojo/conspiracy
type stuff, mindhacking/social manipulation.

Hendy

Apr 8, 2011, 4:01:47 PM4/8/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
@armok

Shoot -- I know you said European, but I didn't think anyone else was,
unless they didn't specify. There was an Australia request, but he
said central US would work. Why don't follow Group B and see if anyone
says they're in your timezone. Otherwise, maybe we could try for
earlier in the day? Can you list the latest you could make things work
from US time? I'm guessing you're ahead 6-8hrs? If so, what about the
1-3p time frame? That would perhaps be right at the end of your day?

Dorikka

Apr 8, 2011, 4:12:29 PM4/8/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Oops, I forgot to translate my times into CST:

Revised Times (CST):
4/9-4/10: 12pm-7pm
4/16-4/17: 12pm-7pm
4/23-4.24: 12pm-7pm

Armok

Apr 8, 2011, 5:37:51 PM4/8/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Swedish time I should be available at least from 18:00 to 22:00 every
day with few but unpredictable exceptions. It's one hour away from GMT
so that should be roughly the same. Quite often I'll be online 3 hours
later and/or earlier than that, but nothing is really predictable.

Hendy

Apr 8, 2011, 5:46:40 PM4/8/11
On Apr 8, 4:37 pm, Armok <armok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Swedish time I should be available at least from 18:00 to 22:00 every
> day with few but unpredictable exceptions. It's one hour away from GMT
> so that should be roughly the same. Quite often I'll be online 3 hours
> later and/or earlier than that, but nothing is really predictable.

Then I think we should be fine. Right now,
- GMT = 21:44
- CST = 16:44

So we're only talking 5 hours difference. Thus, if we meeting between
13:00 and 17:00 CST, we should be right in your window.

Armok

Apr 9, 2011, 2:18:17 PM4/9/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Oh. Well thats good.

Silas Barta

Apr 9, 2011, 9:08:09 PM4/9/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
I'm available most weekday evenings after 7 pm CST, and anytime

I'm interested in discussing the sequences to help others and improve
my own understanding. I'm also interested in instrumental
rationality: techniques for motivation and improved cognition.

Skype videochat will work for me.

I'll get the profile thing filled out ... sometime.

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Apr 9, 2011, 10:22:07 PM4/9/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, Armok
Ok, I'm in the eastern US. I'll try to make whatever time you guys decide.

Hendy

Apr 10, 2011, 9:38:07 AM4/10/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Alright. I think we're set, then.

Why don't I just go ahead and propose this Sunday, 4/17 at 1p (CST
USA). This is equivalent to:
- 2p Eastern Time USA
- 8p in Sweden*

Skype it is. My skype name is john.hendy. Let's try video (can we do
more than one feed on skype?) and ditch it if we all start sounding
like a skipping record.

I vote for rationality in daily lives/getting to know one another. I
don't think I'm far enough in the sequences to offer much, and some
are interested more in life applicability anyway.

Sound good?

* Armok, I just looked up the time in Sweden (here:
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_SE.aspx) and it says
3:30p; it's 8:30 central time, so I think our earlier thought that
it's only 5 hours different was wrong; it seems to be 7, which fits
with my notion of European time differences as well. Holler if this is
a problem.

** Dorikka: Sorry for misspelling your name in list in the first post!

*** Brian: are you trickling over from LW to join? We can give a shot
to adding you into our group; just didn't recognize your name.

Armok

Apr 10, 2011, 2:32:42 PM4/10/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Figures I'd be a bit late anyway. I'm trying to contact you on skype
to join in but so far haven't got it to work? I'm
"armok_god_of_blood", can anyone invite me?

John Hendy

Apr 10, 2011, 2:50:06 PM4/10/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, Armok
Wait... join the meeting today? I mean "next Sunday," April 16th.
You're a week early :)

John Hendy

Apr 10, 2011, 2:50:47 PM4/10/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, Armok
Shoot -- I meant Sunday, 4/17, not the 16th.

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Apr 10, 2011, 3:40:24 PM4/10/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, John Hendy, Armok
yes, I can make that time.

Silas Barta

Apr 10, 2011, 4:17:30 PM4/10/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
That time will work for me.  I'm silasxdx on Skype.  Haven't done a 3+ person vidchat on skype before, but I assume at least one of us knows how to get it to work.

Rasmus Eide

Apr 10, 2011, 4:53:22 PM4/10/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Oh, well then I should be able to make it yea.

Nathan Ames

Apr 10, 2011, 6:08:47 PM4/10/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
That works for me. I'm Laethri on Skype.

What are your LW usernames? Not to be a poop, but the top post says
this:

-----
This is a place to hone in on specifics for *Group A* (if you're not
listed, check with the Group B discussion):
- jwhendy
- Armok_GoB
- SilasBarta
- Dorikka
-----

We're hoping to keep groups to about four members. I'm open to Group A
voting to increase to six, but I also don't want the first run of this
type of thing to be technically challenged due to any kind of
bandwidth issues or diminishing returns with a larger group.

I'm hoping that you're actually members of Group B, in which case you
can plan there:
http://groups.google.com/group/lesswrong-virtual-meetups/browse_thread/thread/2331a42d7bb97cd8

If not, perhaps we can rearrange and make a Group C to accommodate
you.

If neither of you are zaph or virtualAdept, perhaps you can join
erratio/folkTheory, who have joined. No one seems to have taken the
lead on Group B planning, so my vote would be to just jump in with
them and get something going.

Silas Barta

Apr 10, 2011, 8:02:27 PM4/10/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Nathan = Dorrikka = Laethri

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Apr 10, 2011, 8:26:45 PM4/10/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, Silas Barta
I'm folktheory. I guess this is the wrong group.
Sorry about the confusion.

Hendy

Apr 10, 2011, 9:03:00 PM4/10/11
On Apr 10, 7:02 pm, Silas Barta <sba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan = Dorrikka = Laethri

@Silas: Great. That definitely helps clear things up!

@Brian/folkTheory:

Perhaps you could redo what's been done here in the Group B thread? I
know Jen = erratio is a member. If you can track down zaph and/or
virtualAdept, you could have enough to meet? Let me know if you need
any help.

If you two are just stranded, I'd be happy to join in whenever you get
a time established.

Rasmus Eide

Apr 11, 2011, 5:28:23 AM4/11/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'm Armok on LW as well. I'm Armok pretty much everywhere.

John Hendy

Apr 16, 2011, 12:43:18 PM4/16/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Everyone still down? 24hr countdown...

Tomorrow, Sunday, 4/17: 1p CST, 2p EST, 8p Sweden.

I'm planning to go into work where I have a faster connection. Silas
and I skyped last week and it was in and out with the video. If you
have access to anything faster than 1.5mbps, it might help to seek it
out.

Looking forward to meeting!

John

Silas Barta

Apr 16, 2011, 4:18:45 PM4/16/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to it.  I'm configuring my router so as to minimize the problems we were having.  If nothing else works, I'll just have the computer I'm using for the exchange connect directly to the cable modem, which should give the best performance with respect to my contribution.

Rasmus Eide

Apr 16, 2011, 5:07:34 PM4/16/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
turns out some cousin who lives far away is having some birthday
celebration tomorrow and I might be late, figures it'd be the same day
as this. I'll try to get home on time thou.

Nathan Ames

Apr 16, 2011, 7:27:05 PM4/16/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'm still good to go -- see everyone tomorrow!

Sent: Sat, April 16, 2011 5:07:34 PM

Rasmus Eide

Apr 17, 2011, 12:56:39 PM4/17/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com

On my way home, but will gain skype access abaut 1 h to late. Please ad me to to group and stuff so i can plunge right in

On Apr 17, 2011 1:27 AM, "Nathan Ames" <na0...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I'm still good to go -- see everyone tomorrow!

turns out some cousin who lives far away is having some birthday celebration tomorrow and I might b...

Dorikka

Apr 17, 2011, 2:03:01 PM4/17/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
I just tried it and it said that the call failed. FYI, I'm invisible,
so it'll show me as offline even though I'm here. Call me anyway. :D

On Apr 17, 12:56 pm, Rasmus Eide <armok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On my way home, but will gain skype access abaut 1 h to late. Please ad me
> to to group and stuff so i can plunge right in
>
> On Apr 17, 2011 1:27 AM, "Nathan Ames" <na0...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> I'm still good to go -- see everyone tomorrow!
>
> ------------------------------

Rasmus Eide

Apr 29, 2011, 5:19:57 AM4/29/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
So, will there be a meetup tomorow?

John Hendy

Apr 29, 2011, 10:34:51 AM4/29/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Not that any of us talked about.

Rasmus Eide

Apr 29, 2011, 3:11:42 PM4/29/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is available RIGHT NOW we might still be able to hold a
partial meetup...