Group B: erratio, virtualAdept, folkTheory, zaph, [jsalvatier]

Hendy

Apr 8, 2011, 1:58:27 PM4/8/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
This is a place to hone in on specifics for *Group B* (if you're not
listed, check with the Group A discussion):
- erratio
- virtualAdept
- folkTheory
- zaph
- jsalvatier (if he shows up)

Please suggest a time frame (this week, within next three weeks,
etc.), a couple of weekend afternoons/evenings that work for you, and
ideas for the discussion.

I propose Skype, but if the individuals in your particular group wish
to suggest something else, that's fine. I'd also suggest *trying*
video, but perhaps scratching that if the conversation gets too choppy
or people lose connection, etc.

Good luck with planning, Group B! If and when you meet, would someone
take notes and pass them along? I'd like to post the results of this
experiment back on LW, and including comments (what was talked about,
how it helped, etc.) as well as "meta" (these are pros/cons about this
type of thing) would be very helpful.

Maybe even reserve 10min at the end to specifically ask for input from
everyone along these lines.

Jen Runds

Apr 11, 2011, 2:21:32 AM4/11/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Well, I'm free Mon-Fri mornings of this week, which translates into
Sun-Thurs evenings, if I've got the conversion right. After that my
work roster is in flux but I suspect my next availability will be the
Thursday evening after that (ie. Easter Friday morning for me). As for
topics, I'm particularly interested in the Sequences (I've read some
of the subsequences but not others, and wouldn't consider myself an
expert in any of them) and instrumental rationality, and somewhat
uninterested in decision theory.

virtualAdept

Apr 11, 2011, 11:18:37 AM4/11/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
I'm free most evenings after 7 EST, more or less indefinitely except
for the weekends of the 22nd and 29th of this month - I'm new enough
that if there's a standard timezone used when mentioning times on the
site, I don't know what it is. If we pick a day other than those I
mentioned, I can arrange to be around pretty easily. I have and use
Skype, so that would probably be my preferred medium.

I've read a goodly chunk of the major Sequences and am still working
my way through the rest - I have something of a blanket fascination
with the topics, so I'm game for talking about any of those, and also
day-to-day experiences with applying rationality (the less 'intuitive'
bits). And probably anything else - I'm pretty easy.

I'll also volunteer for note-taking.

zaph

Apr 11, 2011, 7:36:14 PM4/11/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Hi Everyone,

My schedule is pretty erratic, (work has been hectic, my wife's
expecting our first, and we're also house hunting) so I don't want to
be too big of an influence on times or topics. Basically I'd like to
see if I could jump in based on the times that work for other folks.

Aaron

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Apr 11, 2011, 10:52:21 PM4/11/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, zaph
I can make pretty much any time  if it's at night.

Jen Runds

Apr 12, 2011, 12:06:42 AM4/12/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, Brian Raszap Skorbiansky, zaph
Hmm, 7pm EST translates into 8pm CST, which is 11am in Sydney.. in that case, I propose Friday evening CST, starting at 8pm and going for as long as people are willing to commit. Any takers? Anyone want to set the inaugural topic? Also, yell at me if my conversions look wrong, I've made egregious errors with them in the past.

John Hendy

Apr 12, 2011, 7:32:26 AM4/12/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, Jen Runds, Brian Raszap Skorbiansky, zaph
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Jen Runds <evil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, 7pm EST translates into 8pm CST, which is 11am in Sydney.. [SNIP]

> Also, yell at me if my conversions look wrong, I've made egregious errors with
> them in the past.

7p EST = 6p CST, and you look to be 15hrs ahead of CST [1] so I think
that's 9a? I know I'm not in your group, but I see the emails and
caught the discrepancy so I figured I'd post.

[1] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=240. Perhaps
there's more than one zone? Maybe look up CST
(http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/central-time/) to
confirm the difference?

Jen Runds

Apr 12, 2011, 8:45:53 AM4/12/11
to John Hendy, lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, Brian Raszap Skorbiansky, zaph
Thanks for catching that John, I'm fairly rubbish with converting between time zones. That said, I'm perfectly happy with 7p/6p/9a as a starting point for agreeing on a time. Anyone want to make any modifications to that suggestion? Is 6pm too early?

virtualAdept

Apr 12, 2011, 10:35:07 AM4/12/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Friday evening works for me. 6 PM is fine if it's 6 CST. Does/can
everyone use Skype?

On Apr 12, 8:45 am, Jen Runds <evil....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for catching that John, I'm fairly rubbish with converting between
> time zones. That said, I'm perfectly happy with 7p/6p/9a as a starting point
> for agreeing on a time. Anyone want to make any modifications to that
> suggestion? Is 6pm too early?

virtualAdept

Apr 15, 2011, 10:03:22 AM4/15/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Do you folks still want to try to meet tonight, or on a later
weekend?

virtualAdept

Apr 15, 2011, 10:05:10 AM4/15/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Sorry if this is spam, I don't think the first message I sent to day
went through? I don't know. Anyway, do you folks still want to try
to meet tonight, or aim for a later date?

Rasmus Eide

Apr 15, 2011, 11:10:01 AM4/15/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
turns out I'll be rather busy this weekend. Today still works thou.

virtualAdept

Apr 15, 2011, 11:20:42 AM4/15/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
I'll be around on Skype ('chbellama'), though I haven't used it much
and don't know how to set up a group call.

On Apr 15, 11:10 am, Rasmus Eide <armok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> turns out I'll be rather busy this weekend. Today still works thou.

Jen Runds

Apr 15, 2011, 5:33:26 PM4/15/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, virtualAdept
I'm 'erratio1' and also don't know how to set up a group call, but I'm counting on Skype's good interface to help there. I'll be around.

Jen Runds

Apr 15, 2011, 6:20:13 PM4/15/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, virtualAdept
Update: I will probably be up to half an hour late, due to transport issues

virtualAdept

Apr 15, 2011, 7:38:44 PM4/15/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
I've been on Skype for about half an hour now (it's 7h30 pm my time);
will remain for at least another half hour before I go bury myself in
something else. I'm guessing we'll want to try again, regardless,
since at most we're looking at 2-3 people today?

On Apr 15, 6:20 pm, Jen Runds <evil....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Update: I will probably be up to half an hour late, due to transport issues
>
> On 16 April 2011 07:33, Jen Runds <evil....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm 'erratio1' and also don't know how to set up a group call, but I'm
> > counting on Skype's good interface to help there. I'll be around.

Jen Runds

Apr 15, 2011, 7:42:34 PM4/15/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, virtualAdept
I'm online! But yes, we seem to be missing a few people..

virtualAdept

Apr 15, 2011, 8:31:18 PM4/15/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Jen and I had a short chat tonight - we'd love to get as much of the
group as possible together for another meeting sometime in the near
future. The first day that we were looking at is Thursday the 21st of
this month, at 7PM CST/ 8 PM EST.

Would that time work for the rest of you? If not, and you're still
interested in talking, when would be better?

On Apr 15, 7:42 pm, Jen Runds <evil....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm online! But yes, we seem to be missing a few people..

Rasmus Eide

Apr 16, 2011, 10:19:00 AM4/16/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
... damn, did I miss this thing?

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Apr 16, 2011, 12:19:17 PM4/16/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com, Rasmus Eide
Looks like I missed it as well. Thursday 8pm is good for me.

virtualAdept

Apr 21, 2011, 3:33:32 PM4/21/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Remember, meetup tonight at 8 EST, 7 CST. I'm chbellama on skype, and
I'm going to have a short list of Sequence-based topics I'm interested
in talking about - if you guys have specific points of interest (and
hopefully you do..), bring a list!

On Apr 16, 12:19 pm, Brian Raszap Skorbiansky <bras...@umd.edu> wrote:
> Looks like I missed it as well. Thursday 8pm is good for me.
>

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Rasmus Eide <armok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... damn, did I miss this thing?

Rasmus Eide

Apr 21, 2011, 3:40:56 PM4/21/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Wait, what?!

What time is that in european timezones, I'm pretty sure we all
reached the conclusion there were no possible meetups other than on
weekends.

virtualAdept

Apr 21, 2011, 4:14:05 PM4/21/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Rasmus -

Midnight, GMT.

You responded to my message from April 15, in which I gave the time
suggestion that Jen and I had, so I assumed you had at least read what
I wrote and would suggest a time that would work for you if that one
didn't. Thus far, no one has said a thing about only being available
on weekends - have you been getting group A's thread mixed up with
this one?

On Apr 21, 3:40 pm, Rasmus Eide <armok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait, what?!
>
> What time is that in european timezones, I'm pretty sure we all
> reached the conclusion there were no possible meetups other than on
> weekends.

John Hendy

Apr 21, 2011, 4:54:07 PM4/21/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Glad you all will meet! If you could let me know how it goes, that
would be great. We met last weekend.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM, virtualAdept <m.lair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Rasmus -

> Thus far, no one has said a thing about only being available
> on weekends - have you been getting group A's thread mixed up with
> this one?

That sounds plausible. Rasmus is assigned to GroupA anyway and met
with us. Not that no one can "double dip," but if you have a time, I'd
definitely go with it and we can set up future meetups to accommodate
others.

I'd like to make a post (maybe even top-level) that summarizes how
this went and gives it a little bit more visibility. I'm hoping if we
can get a decent membership to the Google Group, someone can just
start up a thread with an approximate date range and these could be
held whenever. If that works, hopefully no one will be without a
virtual meetup possibility for any long length of time.

Best regards,
John

virtualAdept

Apr 21, 2011, 5:04:33 PM4/21/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks, John.

On Apr 21, 4:54 pm, John Hendy <jw.he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Glad you all will meet! If you could let me know how it goes, that
> would be great. We met last weekend.

Rasmus Eide

Apr 21, 2011, 6:05:08 PM4/21/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Oh, so this meetup is for some other group than mine that dont have
any european-timezone people in it? ok, that makes more sense.

... except for why it's being posted in the global group rather than their own.

###

And yea, someone really should make a summary post abut how awesome
the meetup was! ^_^

John Hendy

Apr 21, 2011, 6:11:26 PM4/21/11
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Rasmus Eide <armo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, so this meetup is for some other group than mine that dont have
> any european-timezone people in it? ok, that makes more sense.
>
> ... except for why it's being posted in the global group rather than their own.

Well, there's only one group. Google Groups is simply a mailing list.
In other words, every email you reply to gets sent to:
--- lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com

But notice that the emails about the meetup we had last Saturday had
the following subject line:
--- Group A: jwhendy, Armok_GoB, SilasBarta, Dorrika

And the meetup being discussed here has the following subject line:
--- Re: Group B: erratio, virtualAdept, folkTheory, zaph, [jsalvatier]

Notice the A vs. B as well as the fact that you are listed in one and
not the other :) I realize this could get annoying, but I think it
comes with the mailing list baggage. I have been reading both group's
emails because I kind of feel responsible for the first iteration.
Down the road, if this list gets a lot of activity, I won't read
meetups I don't care about. I'm on several software related mailing
lists and have learned to quickly scan for relevant subject lines and
use gmail shortcuts to j+x down the line and then # to delete them
all.

Hope that helps.

John

Hendy

Apr 27, 2011, 3:22:57 PM4/27/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Did Group B ever end up meeting? Interested to hear how it went!

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Apr 27, 2011, 3:30:22 PM4/27/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Yes we had a meeting.
 It was me (folktheory), erratio and virtualAdept. We spoke for about two hours about various topics (VirtualAdept has the actual list of things discussed) and we decided to decide on the next meeting's time the week after this one.

McKenzie Smith

Apr 27, 2011, 9:28:10 PM4/27/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'll post the minutes when I get a free breath at my computer at home; was a good discussion!

Jen Runds

Apr 29, 2011, 2:14:26 AM4/29/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Yep, we met and chatted, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

On that subject.. I now have next weekend off! Which for purposes of
virtual meetups would be the evening of the 6th (Friday) and the
evening of the 7th (Saturday) for you guys.

John, we also discussed asking you whether there's anyone in your
group who would be interested either in swapping to group B or
potentially attending both, because by our reckoning, we three are the
only members of the group at the moment. Even just one more member
would give us the numbers to keep meeting regularly even if one of us
has trouble attending (as I have had this week)

McKenzie Smith

Apr 29, 2011, 9:15:02 AM4/29/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I am tentatively game for next Friday night - will need to confirm, but I think I should be free.  Looking forward to it!

Rasmus Eide

Apr 29, 2011, 9:58:40 AM4/29/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
wait, so today then?

McKenzie Smith

Apr 29, 2011, 10:24:51 AM4/29/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
No - *next* Friday, for group B, if you want to chat with us as well, assuming Brian can make it.

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Apr 29, 2011, 11:50:58 AM4/29/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
unfortunately I will be traveling on that weekend and won't be able to make it. Any other time is fine though.

McKenzie Smith

May 6, 2011, 8:59:56 AM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Jen, I dropped the ball on organization this week, for which I apologize - but I'll be around tonight (probably a 30 min-1 hour later than last time  X_x) if you want to chat, since we didn't discuss alternative times.  Or we could simply reschedule for when Brian can be there.  If you see this, let me know what you'd prefer.

John Hendy

May 6, 2011, 10:19:07 AM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
What time tonight? I missed that in previous notes -- I should be
around depending on the time if you're looking for a 3rd?

Best regards,
John

Rasmus Eide

May 6, 2011, 10:37:55 AM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
About 4 hours unill it starts right?

John Hendy

May 6, 2011, 11:07:49 AM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I guess I don't know. Someone said Friday evening, so I made some
perhaps incorrect assumptions that this was US time and that evening
= > 6p. It's only 10a in Central time right now, so 4 hours is only
2p. I'm free somewhere after 7p-ish tonight, central time (8p eastern,
7p mountain, 6p pacific).

Rasmus, I think you're 7 hours ahead? So that's like 4a your time?

John Hendy

May 6, 2011, 11:08:19 AM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Edit, that's 2a in Europe... sorry.

McKenzie Smith

May 6, 2011, 11:17:44 AM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
We met at 8 EST/ 7 CST last time, but I'm going to be running late tonight, probably closer to 9 EST.  (Rasmus, not quite sure what you're talking about, unfortunately...)  We'd love to have you, John, though since I haven't confirmed with Jen (which is what I was trying to do when I posted earlier), she might not be planning on being there - unsure.

My skype (so you don't have to sift back through the earlier messages) is 'chbellama' and I'll make sure I'm on when I get home.

Rasmus Eide

May 6, 2011, 12:36:26 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Current time here is... 18:35, Sounds like by current plans it'll be
for to late for me to attend if nothing changes. Even if *I* stay up
late I can't be on a voice call because it'll wake up other that want
sleep.

John Hendy

May 6, 2011, 1:49:38 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
McKenzie: sounds great. I'll try to be on around that time. I'll need
to fix my car window motor/relay that decided to quit while my window
was half down, but i'd love to meet some other LWers. My skype name is
"john.hendy"

Rasmus: yeah... I'm sorry this is so hard with the time zones. I think
you would benefit heavily from finding members of the European meetups
who are closer to your timezone and see if you can get them on the
virtual meetups thing. Otherwise, we can try for another weekend at
1ish in the US, whichw was about 8p your time.

Rasmus Eide

May 6, 2011, 3:17:22 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
D:

It would have to have already started for me to be able to make it...

And I have no idea how to find anyone in European timezones or
anything like that. I'm pretty much ****ed. Maybe I should simply
accept that until a friendly singularity happens somehting like social
interaction with people who can actually understand a word I say is
simply an imposible pipe dream. *sulks melodramatically.*

McKenzie Smith

May 6, 2011, 3:30:19 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Rasmus, if you want to suggest a weekend time (not to replace the US-evening meetings, but in addition to), I at least would be happy to be on late morning/early afternoon my time (which would be evening for you) and have a chat.  It does seem like we got mostly US timezones in these discussion groups.

Rasmus Eide

May 6, 2011, 4:02:14 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
tomorow?

John Hendy

May 6, 2011, 4:12:13 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Rasums,

As we suggested in our virtual meetup a few weeks ago, I think the
picture you paint is a bit off. I pointed you toward the European
Meetup section here:

http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Less_Wrong_meetup_groups#Europe

Have you tried contacting either of those to see if anyone can skype
with you? And, as McKenzie said, we *can* make weekend afternoons work
(which we did once), but it might require some planning. Thus, I'd
propose you suggest a weekend 1-2 weeks out and see who responds. I
see you just responded with a proposal for tomorrow. This might work,
but I think you'll be more successful if you start a new thread (send
a brand new message to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com) and
aim for at least next weekend so that others can plan for it.

How does that sound?

McKenzie Smith

May 6, 2011, 4:29:14 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Rasmus -
Tomorrow's a bit tight for me, but I can slip in an hour somewhere.  Just let me know when (make sure to note which timezone you're talking about... I will convert if necessary...).  I also second John's suggestion about starting up another group, because while I certainly like running my mouth, it would be more productive to find a group of European time zone folks and aim to plan a week or two in advance.  If you're going to do that, I'd rather wait until then so I can plan to be around longer, rather than trying to squeeze in skype time tomorrow.  Like I said, let me know.

Rasmus Eide

May 6, 2011, 4:47:41 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I just don't have the *organizational skills* to do any of the things
you're suggesting. :(

John Hendy

May 6, 2011, 5:10:25 PM5/6/11
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Rasmus Eide <armo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just don't have the *organizational skills* to do any of the things
> you're suggesting. :(

Dude -- you can seriously do this. You've actually *already* done
everything you need to, just with slightly less words and not under a
new topic. Here's your free coaching lesson:

- look at your calendar and find Saturday/Sunday evenings you have
free in the next three weeks (not including tomorrow)
- write down the dates and what times you can do it
- go to this site, compare your current time to what it says, and
figure out that your ideal meetup time is in Eastern Time, US
--- http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/eastern-time/
- in gmail:
--- click "Compose"
--- start typing "lesswrong-" and just hit enter when it auto-suggests
this group's email address
--- enter a subject: "New meetup: Looking for Europe evening / US
afternoon weekend meetup"
--- type up a short message that basically restates the subject. As an example:

"Hi everyone,

I'm trying to put together a meetup and since I'm in Europe, Saturdays
or Sundays in the evening work best since afternoons on weekends work
for some in this group. I've looked at my calendar and these are the
dates that work:
--- May Xth @ xx:xx Europe / xx:xx EST, US
--- May Yth @ xx:xx Europe / xx:xx EST, US
--- May Zth @ xx:xx: Europe / xx:xx EST, US

Please suggest alternate times if they are still relatively close. The
latest I can start a meetup is xx:xx Europe / xx:xx EST US, so please
keep that in mind.

Thanks,
Rasmus"

Give it a whirl and let's see if you get that meetup you've been dreaming of!

Rasmus Eide

May 6, 2011, 5:23:40 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I don't *have* a calendar, or any other means of predicting what I'll
be doing at any specific time with any confidence. And before your
ask, nor am I able to commit to make time at any specific time. I can
guess based on what times I have usually been online anyway in the
past and will notice people emailing or skyping me about it, but
that's about it.

John Hendy

May 6, 2011, 5:37:25 PM5/6/11
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Rasmus Eide <armo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't *have* a calendar, or any other means of predicting what I'll
> be doing at any specific time with any confidence. And before your
> ask, nor am I able to commit to make time at any specific time. I can
> guess based on what times I have usually been online anyway in the
> past and will notice people emailing or skyping me about it, but
> that's about it.

No time like the present: calendar.google.com

This isn't about predictions, it's about decisions. *Decide* that you
will be online at 7p on whatever Saturday or Sunday the group
converges on after you send your request. Once you decide, you can
update your prior to a high degree of certainty that this is now what
you'll be doing on that particular evening, aside from somthing coming
up out of the blue that's both urgent and important. If it can wait
until later, stay committed to the meetup. If it's trivial, stay
committed to the meetup.

Jen Runds

May 6, 2011, 7:41:52 PM5/6/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I'm around, but the catch is that I have a head cold and can't really use my voice at the moment. So while I'm happy to chat, any contributions from me would have to be text-based.

Rasmus Eide

May 7, 2011, 10:16:49 AM5/7/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Look, I appreciate you're trying to help but believe me when I say I
have tried things like this, they don't work due to how my life is set
up, and I'd rather not go into the details of why. Stop Other
Optimizing.

John Hendy

May 7, 2011, 12:36:15 PM5/7/11
On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Rasmus Eide <armo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Look, I appreciate you're trying to help but believe me when I say I
> have tried things like this, they don't work due to how my life is set
> up, and I'd rather not go into the details of why. Stop Other
> Optimizing.

You got it.

McKenzie Smith

May 7, 2011, 2:31:42 PM5/7/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Alright, for Brian and anyone else interested in the next meetup, we're currently looking at Friday the 20th (Saturday for Jen), 8 EST / 7 CST.  Speak up if you'd rather that time/day be tweaked!

Jen Runds

May 7, 2011, 6:03:37 PM5/7/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Rasmus, I'm in Australia and may be able to make times that are friendlier to you. Would you be interested in trying to find a set of times when I can commit to being online, and if you happen to be around at the same time we can chat?

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

May 7, 2011, 8:26:55 PM5/7/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Sure, Friday 20th sounds good.

Rasmus Eide

May 8, 2011, 2:48:12 PM5/8/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
That's very kind of you, although I think I migth have made enough of
a social mess here already without even more people doing things for
my sake that I cant return...

Jen Runds

May 17, 2011, 7:54:43 PM5/17/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Sorry guys, I've been hit with an extra shift at work this weekend, so
won't be able to make it anymore. Have fun discussing My Little Pony
in my absence! ;)

On May 8, 10:26 am, Brian Raszap Skorbiansky <bras...@umd.edu> wrote:
> Sure, Friday 20th sounds good.
>

> On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Jen Runds <evil....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rasmus, I'm in Australia and may be able to make times that are friendlier
> > to you. Would you be interested in trying to find a set of times when I can
> > commit to being online, and if you happen to be around at the same time we
> > can chat?
>
> > On 8 May 2011 00:16, Rasmus Eide <armok...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Look, I appreciate you're trying to help but believe me when I say I
> >> have tried things like this, they don't work due to how my life is set
> >> up, and I'd rather not go into the details of why. Stop Other

> >> use my
> >> me

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

May 17, 2011, 8:44:51 PM5/17/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
What time/day is the virtual meeting?

Rasmus Eide

May 18, 2011, 9:28:35 AM5/18/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I think it might be saturday morning? No idea really,

McKenzie Smith

May 18, 2011, 9:58:45 AM5/18/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Friday, 8 EST.  If you're up for it, I'll be there.

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

May 18, 2011, 11:08:45 AM5/18/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry, Friday night isn't a good time for me either...
Maybe we should move it to some time that works for Jen as well?

McKenzie Smith

May 18, 2011, 11:17:54 AM5/18/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
That's fine by me.  When should we reschedule?  (Jen, give us a yell.)

Rasmus Eide

May 18, 2011, 1:50:24 PM5/18/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Except on sundays I shuld be avilable most times tht could come up
except those who are to lte and will wake people up with my loud
talking since I'm in an european timezone.

Jen Runds

May 18, 2011, 6:53:12 PM5/18/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Let's see, I'm available tomorrow from about midday onwards, which would be late Thurs night in US, very early Thurs morning in Europe I think?, and I'm also good for Sunday morning (Sat night US, no-go for Europe :(
Otherwise my next availabilities will be next Thursday and Friday, and then the weekend after that one.

McKenzie Smith

May 18, 2011, 7:28:56 PM5/18/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
This Saturday night is fine for me, but I've got plans on Thursday.

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

May 19, 2011, 12:41:33 AM5/19/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
ok saturday night works for me

Rasmus Eide

May 19, 2011, 5:43:34 AM5/19/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
What timezone is this "night" counted from? It sounds like it's
probably way to late for me to be able to attend.

McKenzie Smith

May 19, 2011, 9:13:50 AM5/19/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
US Eastern, same as it's been since the beginning of when we started planning.

Jen Runds

May 21, 2011, 9:06:48 PM5/21/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
McKenzie, you around?

McKenzie Smith

May 26, 2011, 10:23:39 PM5/26/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking like I might be a no-go Friday night; we have company coming into town and they haven't committed to whether they're coming Friday or Saturday, yet.  >.<  Will update here if they actually say when they're coming.

zntneo

May 27, 2011, 3:04:03 AM5/27/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
I think I be there on Friday

McKenzie Smith

May 27, 2011, 8:44:46 AM5/27/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I am a definite no-go for tonight.  Apologies, and I hope you guys have fun.

McKenzie Smith

Jun 1, 2011, 4:33:55 PM6/1/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Did you guys chat last Friday?  I'm game for this week - IIRC we were going to meet Friday night again (Saturday for Jen), but my memory's a bit fuzzy, so please let me know if I've got it wrong.

Zach Aletheia

Jun 1, 2011, 5:14:16 PM6/1/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
i logged into skype around 7 on friday and did not see anyone on so i did not chat. assuming i am better (have a wicked sinus infection which if it follows its normal route will end up with me not being able to speak)

Zach Aletheia

Jun 1, 2011, 5:15:01 PM6/1/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
whoops forgot to finish: assuming i'm better i am game for this friday.

Jen Runds

Jun 3, 2011, 5:42:20 AM6/3/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'll be around

Zach Aletheia

Jun 3, 2011, 11:28:05 PM6/3/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I am guess I am too late

--
Zach

McKenzie Smith

Jun 3, 2011, 11:57:07 PM6/3/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
We're totally still on, if you want to hop in!

Jen Runds

Jun 17, 2011, 4:09:11 AM6/17/11
to LessWrong Virtual Meetups
Hey people, sorry for the late notice but I'm not going to be able to
make it this week. Hopefully speak to you next time

On Jun 4, 1:57 pm, McKenzie Smith <m.laire.sm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're totally still on, if you want to hop in!
>

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Zach Aletheia <znt...@iastate.edu> wrote:
> > I am guess I am too late

McKenzie Smith

Jun 17, 2011, 9:03:25 AM6/17/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
No worries.  I may end up with a social obligation tonight, myself - for the others, I'll leave a note here if I'm going to be on, but assume not otherwise.

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Jun 17, 2011, 10:39:28 AM6/17/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I actually wasn't even aware that we had one tonight. are we doing a weekly meetup on friday nights?

Friday night is a good time for me, I just didn't know we were doing it.

McKenzie Smith

Jul 1, 2011, 8:32:46 PM7/1/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I've been stuck in the lab and just got home, but I'm around if you guys want to chat tonight.  (Or are my weeks off?  Things have been *insane* with school lately and I barely notice time passing except as it relates to how far behind I am.)

Jen Runds

Jul 1, 2011, 9:27:29 PM7/1/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I have to finish moving out of my apartment and playing Portal 2 today :p But after today I should be free pretty much every weekend as long as I don't schedule an event for that day.

McKenzie Smith

Jul 1, 2011, 10:09:38 PM7/1/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Good luck with the move.  =)

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Jul 1, 2011, 11:19:49 PM7/1/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey at what time do our meetups happen, when they happen?

Jen Runds

Jul 2, 2011, 1:39:51 AM7/2/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Every week or second week, Friday night at... 7:30, I think? Not sure what time zone it is for you

McKenzie Smith

Jul 2, 2011, 11:11:55 AM7/2/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
We've been doing it at 8 or 8h30ish EST / 7 CST.

Jen Runds

Jul 8, 2011, 12:55:10 AM7/8/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Anyone interested in chatting this Friday?

Zach Aletheia

Jul 8, 2011, 1:04:56 AM7/8/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
i won't be home until 7:30 pacfic but would be ok with talking then if its not to late

John Hendy

Jul 8, 2011, 1:11:49 AM7/8/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Tomorrow won't work for me... softball and then cards :)

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Jul 8, 2011, 8:32:03 AM7/8/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry but I can't this Friday

McKenzie Smith

Jul 8, 2011, 8:44:05 AM7/8/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I can't tonight, but I should be able to next week.

Jen Runds

Jul 8, 2011, 8:55:23 AM7/8/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
ok, sounds like we should aim for next week then. This weekend I'll try to post some stimulus material of some kind, even if it's just a couple of potential topics to think about. Suggestions are also welcome, obviously!

McKenzie Smith

Jul 8, 2011, 9:08:41 AM7/8/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we ever posted this here (did we?  we might have.  I'm about to run off to campus, so I don't have time to dig) - but Jen made a great suggestion a while back about trying some of the short rationality exercises during these meetups.  I'm going to look through the site before next week and find one or two I'd be interested in doing.

McKenzie Smith

Jul 15, 2011, 6:28:18 PM7/15/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Have family visiting tonight on short notice; I'll most likely be late, but I'll be here.

Brian Raszap Skorbiansky

Jul 15, 2011, 6:42:09 PM7/15/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'll be here too

Jen Runds

Jul 15, 2011, 8:45:20 PM7/15/11
to lesswrong-vi...@googlegroups.com
Note to anyone arriving late, both this week and in future weeks: your best course of action is to jump onto skype straight away and see if people are online.
It is loading more messages.