re:muchakunda

vivekmail

Jun 26, 2008, 8:46:54 AM6/26/08
to Indiantreepix
this flower has been named 'muchakunda'. can someone confirm?
DSC00080.jpg
DSC00076.jpg

Neil Soares

Jun 26, 2008, 9:00:32 AM6/26/08
to vivekmail, indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi Vivek,
They are the flowers of Maple Twist [Pterospermum acerofolium] locally called Kanak Champa or Muchkunda.
With regards,
Neil Soares.

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 26, 2008, 9:13:32 AM6/26/08
to vivekmail, Indiantreepix
i feel it is correct, but other possibility is kanakchampa.
what is the size of flower/
pejaver

Jun 26, 2008, 9:23:47 AM6/26/08
to formp...@yahoo.com, vivekmail, Indiantreepix
Oh!!! Was a bit confused as the picture is of a fallen flower.
Here are the links & Data from Indiantreepix Database:
Pterospermum acerifolium (Syn. P. aceroides) Malvaceae Kanak Champa, Moochukund, Bayur tree, Dinner Plate Tree  Flowering now in Kolkata- 8/3/08- J.M.Garg. Flowering at Noida on 13.4.08- Vinod ji. It's flowering is almost over in Kolkata- 23/4/08- J.M.Garg. At Noida on 13.4.08- Vinod ji. Trees of Delhi- Flowers appear in March, with some trees still in flower at the end of April. Beautiful Trees & Shrubs of Calcutta- Flowers in early spring (Feb.- March) & continues up to early summer (Feb.- April)
Pterospermum acerifolium Pterospermum acerifolium- Kanak Champa, Moochukund, Bayur tree or Dinner Plate Tree - indiantreepix | Google Groups Plant for ID..... 21042008SV1 - indiantreepix | Google Groups http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/c2f1a5704f407127 Flowering trees in delhi--Kanak champa - indiantreepix | Google Groups

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 26, 2008, 9:24:32 AM6/26/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
kanakchampa and muchkund are two dfferent trees. muchkund flowers are smaller while kanakchampa larger. kanakchmpa has yellow colour.
scientific names i will inform
pejaver

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2008, 9:42:27 AM6/26/08
to formp...@yahoo.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Madhuri ji,
As you must be aware, sometimes the same common name is used for many trees & plants. In that way,
you may be right if some other plant/ tree has the same name.
As per the books like Trees of Delhi & Beautiful Trees & Shrubs of Kolkata, both Kanak Champa & Muchkund, are common names for the posted flower, in Hindi & Bengali.

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 26, 2008, 10:25:48 AM6/26/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com

what you say i accept, but related to the posted flower even me and my friend were also of the same opinion as it is the same tree . but latter when we refered the books we found that they r two different , as i receive the mail of my friend i will send you both the names.
i am little poor in remembering scientific name.
and though entire college library is at my disposal i cannot find time to go through books, as my office work ends at 9pm.
so waiting for reply from my friend
madhuri

--- On Thu, 6/26/08, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/
> join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 26, 2008, 10:32:20 AM6/26/08
to formp...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
yes Gargji
Muchkund is Pterospermum suberifolium
kanakchampa is Pterospermum aserifolium
family Sterculiaceae
madhuri

satish phadke

Jun 26, 2008, 11:21:49 AM6/26/08
to formp...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
As per Flora of Maharashtra state Dicotyledons Vol 1(BSI) Family:Sterculiaceae
Pterospermum acerifolium:Flower size 12-15 cm across Fls.Frts.:Dec.-Jun
Names:'Kanak champa', 'Karnihar', 'Karnikar', 'Muchkund'  (Muchkund in Marathi);

Pterospermum xylocarpum :Flower size is 5 cm across Fls.Frts.:Dec-Feb.
Syn.Pterospermum suberifolium.Pterospermum heyneaum. No local name mentioned.

Local names are used for a wide range of spectrum of flowers which even range across the families so no point in discussing them to a large extent. Even the names are different according to region and language.That is the reason botanical nomenclature is important.Though one must know the local name in his or her region.
Happy tree watching
Satish Phadke
--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/
Pterospermum acerifolium1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2008, 12:25:02 PM6/26/08
to satish phadke, formp...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think Madhuri ji also has a point as Pterospermum suberifolium is also called Muchkund in Sanskrit as per the following links:
http://chennaionline.com/columns/chennaitrees/2004/trees36.asp
but saying "kanakchampa and muchkund are two dfferent trees'' may not be appropriate with lots of common names being widely used for more than one tree.