Flora of Andaman30- 100111-PKA1

Prashant awale

Jan 10, 2011, 8:54:14 AM1/10/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

I had seen this Climber near Corbyns Cove Beach (Port Blair, Andaman).

Date/Time: 18-12-2010 / 03:00PM
Habitat: Wild
Plant Habit: Climber.

I could not spot any flowers / fruits.

regards
Prashant
IMG_1938.jpg
IMG_1939c.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1939.jpg

sheetal chaudhari

Jan 11, 2011, 12:20:41 AM1/11/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Ipomoea sp in fruiting.

Sheetal Pachpande
Research student,
B. N. Bandodkar college of Science,
Thane West.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 28, 2011, 2:05:22 AM1/28/11
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, sheeta...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Ron_Convolvulaceae
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback

Sheetal ji..............................Ipomoea sp. in fruiting

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Jan 28, 2011, 4:42:35 AM1/28/11
to efloraofindia

On Jan 28, 2:05 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Resurfacing again for ID
>
> Earlier feedback
>
> Sheetal ji..............................Ipomoea sp. in fruiting
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

> From: Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM
> Subject: [efloraofindia:59851] Flora of Andaman30- 100111-PKA1
> To: indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com>
>
> Dear Friends,
>
> I had seen this Climber near Corbyns Cove Beach (Port Blair, Andaman).
>
> Date/Time: 18-12-2010 / 03:00PM
> Habitat: Wild
> Plant Habit: Climber.
>
> I could not spot any flowers / fruits.
>
> regards
> Prashant
>

>  IMG_1938.jpg
> 174KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1939c.jpg
> 196KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1940.jpg
> 161KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1939.jpg
> 202KViewDownload

I agree that it is some type of Ipomoea and the fruit looks familiar
to me but the exact species is not coming to the forefront of my
mind...perhaps afterward I may have some additional feedback

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 28, 2011, 6:12:14 AM1/28/11
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia
Thanks Ron
You are doing great service for the family Convolvulaceae.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Jan 28, 2011, 8:50:51 AM1/28/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia
Yes Gurcharan ji
today i was searching some unided Convolvulaceae members For Ron Ji
He is a great help in convolvulaceae
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Feb 12, 2011, 1:08:29 AM2/12/11
to efloraofindia
Hello,

I think it of value to compare the plant which is the subject of this
thread with the plant in the following thread here
Convolvulaceae for id from Tirupati-280111-1
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/008a6acc1b6a4f89?hl=en#

regards,

Ron

manudev madhavan

Feb 12, 2011, 5:17:44 AM2/12/11
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia
Am not very much sure...
Could this be Ipomaea parasitica...???

please refer
Biju, S.D. 2002. Ipomoea parasitica (Kunth) G. Don (Convolvulaceae): A new record for India, Rheedea 22 (1): 77-79.
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Systematic & Floristic Lab,

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Feb 12, 2011, 7:52:51 AM2/12/11
to efloraofindia

On Feb 12, 5:17 am, manudev madhavan <manudevkmadha...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Am not very much sure...
> Could this be *Ipomaea parasitica...???*
> *
> *
> *please refer *
> *Biju, S.D. 2002. Ipomoea parasitica (Kunth) G. Don (Convolvulaceae): A new
> record for India, Rheedea 22 (1): 77-79.
> *
> *
> *
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/008...
>
> > regards,
>
> > Ron
>
> --
> *Manudev K Madhavan*
> Systematic & Floristic Lab,
> Department of Botany,
> Centre for Postgraduate Studies & Research
> St. Joseph's College, Devagiri
> Kozhikode- 673 008
> Mob: 9496470738

Hello ,

Ipomoea parasitica would have reflexed fruit and soft thorny
looking protuberances on the stems as can be seen here
http://indiantreepix.googlegroups.com/attach/0e1a96ab81fd67f6/240909SNPb.JPG?view=1&part=4

http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/b5a52dbb409c032c/762360cae6de832b?lnk=gst&q=parasitica#762360cae6de832b
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/b5a52dbb409c032c/87a8d450f1b1a71c?lnk=gst&q=parasitica#87a8d450f1b1a71c

regards,

Ron

Dinesh Valke

Feb 12, 2011, 7:57:32 AM2/12/11
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia
... to me the fruits' picture IMG_1938.jpg ... reminds of Ipomoea marginata.
Got a photo at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3936039105/

Not sure if some other Convolvulaceae member(s) bear(s) similar fruit.

Regards
Dinesh.

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Feb 13, 2011, 2:51:23 AM2/13/11
to efloraofindia

On Feb 12, 7:57 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... to me the fruits' picture IMG_1938.jpg ... reminds of *Ipomoea marginata
> *.
> Got a photo athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3936039105/
> >http://indiantreepix.googlegroups.com/attach/0e1a96ab81fd67f6/240909S...

> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/b5a...
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/b5a...
>
> > regards,
>
> > Ron

Hello,

Thanks Dinesh ji,

The fruit does seem to match very well with the Ipomoea
marginata.

The leaves in the above photos are more cordate and I think it is good
to keep this in mind when considering other plants that may be Ipomoea
marginata.

There are also some leaves as in photo 1939 which are larger , much
darker colored and more elongated and I was considering these leaves
in the potential differential ID , although as Dinesh ji has already
indicated the fruit does (at this point) appear identical to Ipomoea
marginata , so unless there is some additional information forthcoming
from the plant in question I would agree on an ID of Ipomoea
marginata.

regards,

Ron