WAS 6.1 and Tivoli

greg.c...@combined.com.au

Sep 11, 2008, 9:26:03 AM9/11/08
Hi all
We have are in the process of migrating from WAS5.1 to WAS6.1 ND and are currently testing our app in WAS6.1 (on linux).

In WAS5.1 for performance monitoring we ran TPV on one box and monitored WAS5.1 running on another server and it all worked well.

From what I am reading, it appears that in WAS6.1, the TPV is in the WAS server and from what I read, you run it from the admin console on the DM.

Question: Is there a 'client' side in WAS6.1 that can run to monitor (and log) the PMI info? If so, where do you get it from?

My issue is that we have the App and DM all running on the one server (at present) and its a bit slow. From my (limited) use to date what I have seen the WAS6.1 TPV looks to less useful than the WAS5.1 setup . Has anyone done some serious perf monitoring on WAS61 with TPV - and is it all good...?

Bluey

greg.c...@combined.com.au

Sep 11, 2008, 7:15:25 PM9/11/08
As a further explanation - we have a number of Websphere servers running on linux. I wnat to run TPV from my WIN-XP desktop to monitor the performance of various servers. I could do this with TPV in WAS 5.1. Can I do the same thing with WAS 6.1?

Bluey01

Ben_

Sep 12, 2008, 4:16:11 AM9/12/08

Since TPV is integrated in the Console, you can't monitor another Cell that
the one you're logged in.

IIRC, you can configure TPV 6 to log data, so if it continues to log data
when you logoff from the console, it's an improvement over TPV 5 where you
needed to keep the application running all times (i.e. keep logged
interactively on the workstation).

FYI, ITCAM for WebSphere is IBM's enterprise-class product which goes beyong
logging and visualizing, as it allows to deep-dive in performance issues.

kt...@hdb.gov.sg

Sep 15, 2008, 4:10:55 AM9/15/08
For WAS 6.1, the TPV is runing under the deployment manager, thus you are recommended to get a "more" powerful server due to the PMI and GUI.
You may consider to code your own java client to get the PMI reading or install third party software like ITCAM.

Cheers
Jon

greg.c...@combined.com.au

Sep 15, 2008, 5:11:42 AM9/15/08
Thanks for the reply. I understand that it runs on the Deployment manager and that I need more power, but I was also hoping that there was some client like application (aka WAS5.1 TPV).

I would be interested if anyone can confirm that in WAS61, the only monitor is that which runs on the Deploment Manager and that there is no client side App as I now need to look at ow to configure the servers that we administer

Thanks
Bluey

Paul Ilechko

Sep 15, 2008, 11:56:49 AM9/15/08
greg.c...@combined.com.au wrote:

> I would be interested if anyone can confirm that in WAS61, the only

> monitor is that which runs on the Deploment Manager ...

That is correct. I would recommend seriously considering a product like
ITCAM which gives much richer capabilities for troubleshooting
performance problems.

greg.c...@combined.com.au

Oct 16, 2008, 7:34:28 AM10/16/08
OK - so no-one has confirmed if there is any client side software... :-(

I now have 3 WAS61 servers up and running in Development... :-) and each server has 2 or 3 instances running. If I want to monitor an instance on, say, server2 can I do this from the Deployment manager on server1 - or do I have to have the Deployment manager installed on each server ....?

An initial test on one server shows that Perf Monitor is very hungry on resources - so its not real practical if you are try to see what is happening on a server that is under load - the monitor just kills response.

Does anyone have any advice on how to setup a good monitoring topology or to suggest some other tools...?

Thanks
Blueu01

kh...@us.ibm.com

Oct 16, 2008, 9:41:46 AM10/16/08
Actually, Paul Ilechko responded. The software updating the copy of this forum in developerWorks is buggy.

See http://groups.google.com/group/ibm.software.websphere.application-server/browse_thread/thread/b0f7b631bcf0e7a5/524163a650d9f780#524163a650d9f780

greg.c...@combined.com.au

Oct 21, 2008, 7:24:34 AM10/21/08
... no luck with the link above - are you able to repost the missing post...?

TIA
Bluey01

greg.c...@combined.com.au

Oct 21, 2008, 7:31:41 AM10/21/08