Hack-A-Thon

Michael Bishop

Jan 9, 2009, 1:38:02 PM1/9/09
to habari-users
A few people on IRC recently discussed a "hack-a-thon", and from that
discussion a tentative plan for the weekend of the 17th and 18th of
January was decided. Specifically from midnight GMT Friday (7pm EST)
until Midnight Sunday.

The goal of the hack-a-thon is to get the next version of Habari
closer to release. A proposal to feature freeze trunk on Monday was
made, with a few weeks of bug fixing/testing for an early February
release.

We will be targeting specific tickets with a tentative tag "HAT" for
the weekend; however, if you have a specific bug or feature that you
would like to see addressed in the next release, now is your chance!
There's no formal sign up, just have an account in trac and join us in
#habari on IRC, and get to hacking!

All cabal members are especially encouraged to participate at some
point during the weekend, as the more with commit access to test and
commit patches the better.

Also note, all level of community participation is welcome. Testing
patches in different environments is always beneficial, helping with
documentation, and general camaraderie is what these virtual get
togethers is really about.

This is cross posted on the -dev list, and a final list of targeted
bugs will be posted the Friday prior in that thread. If you can keep
all inquiries and discussion in one place, that might be best.

http://groups.google.com/group/habari-dev/t/f7b146b6ddbc7fec

~miklb

Scott Merrill

Jan 12, 2009, 12:43:37 PM1/12/09
to habari...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Michael Bishop <miklb....@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few people on IRC recently discussed a "hack-a-thon", and from that
> discussion a tentative plan for the weekend of the 17th and 18th of
> January was decided. Specifically from midnight GMT Friday (7pm EST)
> until Midnight Sunday.
>
> The goal of the hack-a-thon is to get the next version of Habari
> closer to release. A proposal to feature freeze trunk on Monday was
> made, with a few weeks of bug fixing/testing for an early February
> release.

I've set up a landing page for the Hack-A-Thon on the wiki:
http://wiki.habariproject.org/en/Hack-A-Thon

Each Hack-A-Thon should get its own sub-page, so we can coordinate
developers with potential testers, as well as to keep a running
history of the work accomplished by these events.

Even if you're not a developer we still want you to participate! These
events can be a great community-building experience, and provide an
excellent opportunity for us to all get to know one another better.
The more enthusiastic people we have working together, the more likely
we are to keep pushing forward.

We need people to help test the proposed fixes that the developers put
forward. Habari makes this SUPER easy to do! The Habari user override
system means you can test new versions of the core code (usually)
without breaking your existing install. If a developer makes changes
to the Post class, for example, you can place the development version
into the /user/classes/ directory of your Habari install, and your
copy of Habari will use that version! You can then confirm whether or
not the problem described in the bug report is fixed. Easy!!

Cheers,
Scott