Hack-A-Thon

Michael Bishop

Jan 9, 2009, 1:30:52 PM1/9/09
to habari-dev
A few people on IRC recently discussed a "hack-a-thon", and from that
discussion a tentative plan for the weekend of the 17th and 18th of
January was decided. Specifically from midnight GMT Friday (7pm EST)
until Midnight Sunday.

The goal of the hack-a-thon is to get the next version of Habari
closer to release. A proposal to feature freeze trunk on Monday was
made, with a few weeks of bug fixing/testing for an early February
release.

We will be targeting specific tickets with a tentative tag "HAT" (Hack
A Thon you can blame me for the cheesy tag) for the weekend; however,
if you have a specific bug or feature that you would like to see
addressed in the next release, now is your chance! There's no formal
sign up, just have an account in trac and join us in #habari on IRC,
and get to hacking!

All cabal members are especially encouraged to participate at some
point during the weekend, as the more with commit access to test and
commit patches the better.

We will post a link on Friday to the specific list of tickets,
however, as I said, if you've got an itch, there's no better time to
get in and scratch it.

I suppose I should call for a formal vote to indeed do a feature
freeze on trunk the 19th at this time as well, I certainly don't want
to be guilty of making decisions in IRC without greater input.

~miklb

Arthus Erea

Jan 9, 2009, 10:14:08 PM1/9/09
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I assume that said feature freeze would go into effect only after we
have finished ACL in the hackathon.

Considering it is one of the primary goals of 0.6, I believe ACL
should be blocker and we shouldn't freeze until it is (actually)
implemented.

Ali B.

Jan 9, 2009, 11:14:13 PM1/9/09
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 5:14 AM, Arthus Erea <arthu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Considering it is one of the primary goals of 0.6, I believe ACL
should be blocker and we shouldn't freeze until it is (actually)
implemented.

I believe the system itself is implemented and functional. All what's left are the default privileges, the interface and some other scattered bits. But yeah, I would say that this "feature" is definitely a blocker. Without it, 0.6 is of no noticeable new features.

Speaking of 0.6 features, are we near the implementation of the taxonomy system? Did we decide to push it to 0.7?

--
Ali B / dmondark
http://www.awhitebox.com

Caius Durling

Jan 10, 2009, 2:36:19 AM1/10/09
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I agree, ACL should be a blocker for 0.6. And the hackathon sounds
like a fantastic idea-I'm certainly going to try and be around for as
much of the weekend as possible.

---
Caius Durling
Sent from my iPhone
+44 (0) 7960 268 100
http://caius.name/

Michael Bishop

Jan 10, 2009, 10:51:54 AM1/10/09
to habari-dev

On Jan 9, 11:14 pm, "Ali B." <dmond...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 5:14 AM, Arthus Erea <arthus.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Considering it is one of the primary goals of 0.6, I believe ACL
> > should be blocker and we shouldn't freeze until it is (actually)
> > implemented.

We probably have different ideas of what "feature freeze" means, but
my understanding is that since it's already something in trunk, it's
not part of a freeze. But yes, obviously a primary goal of the hack-a-
thon is to flesh out ACL.

> I believe the system itself is implemented and functional. All what's left
> are the default privileges, the interface and some other scattered bits. But
> yeah, I would say that this "feature" is definitely a blocker. Without it,
> 0.6 is of no noticeable new features.

I would argue enough has been changed and fixed, that pushing a .6
release out without finalizing ACL would be beneficial, however, I'm
not advocating *NOT* fleshing it out.

> Speaking of 0.6 features, are we near the implementation of the taxonomy
> system? Did we decide to push it to 0.7?

I was always under the impression that it was a.7 or .8 item. That
said, I've seen some discussion about actually writing some wrapper
classes to include in this release. I really think next weekend will
be the determining factor.

~miklb

> --
> Ali B / dmondarkhttp://www.awhitebox.com

Chris J. Davis

Jan 10, 2009, 10:57:05 AM1/10/09
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I am in favor of a hackathon, and will attempt to be around that
weekend to help with commit/testing.

Lets do this thing!

Chris

Christian Mohn (h0bbel)

Jan 10, 2009, 12:33:47 PM1/10/09
to habar...@googlegroups.com
> > > Considering it is one of the primary goals of 0.6, I believe ACL
> > > should be blocker and we shouldn't freeze until it is (actually)
> > > implemented.

> We probably have different ideas of what "feature freeze" means, but
> my understanding is that since it's already something in trunk, it's
> not part of a freeze. But yes, obviously a primary goal of the hack-a-
> thon is to flesh out ACL.

As I see it, a feature freeze is just that. No new features to be added
until release. Finalizing features already in the codebase doesn't come into
count.

Christian

Michael Harris

Jan 10, 2009, 10:54:04 PM1/10/09
to habar...@googlegroups.com
2009/1/10 Michael Bishop <miklb....@gmail.com>:

> We will post a link on Friday to the specific list of tickets,
> however, as I said, if you've got an itch, there's no better time to
> get in and scratch it.

I've created a trac report that returns tickets that include the HAT keyword.

https://trac.habariproject.org/habari/report/10

There's not much there at the moment however.

--
Michael C. Harris, School of CS&IT, RMIT University
http://twofishcreative.com/michael/blog

Scott Merrill

Jan 12, 2009, 12:34:44 PM1/12/09
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Michael Bishop <miklb....@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few people on IRC recently discussed a "hack-a-thon", and from that
> discussion a tentative plan for the weekend of the 17th and 18th of
> January was decided. Specifically from midnight GMT Friday (7pm EST)
> until Midnight Sunday.
>
> The goal of the hack-a-thon is to get the next version of Habari
> closer to release. A proposal to feature freeze trunk on Monday was
> made, with a few weeks of bug fixing/testing for an early February
> release.

I've set up a landing page for the Hack-A-Thon on the wiki:
http://wiki.habariproject.org/en/Hack-A-Thon

Each Hack-A-Thon should get its own sub-page, so we can coordinate
developers with potential testers, as well as to keep a running
history of the work accomplished by these events.

Cheers,
Scott

Blake Johnson

Jan 13, 2009, 11:49:48 AM1/13/09
to habari-dev
Unfortunately, I will be traveling this weekend, which will prevent me
from participating in the Hack-a-thon. I do see that my "ACL progress"
ticket has gotten the HAT tag. So, that will be a good starting point
for those that are around.

--Blake

On Jan 10, 10:54 pm, "Michael Harris" <michael.twof...@gmail.com>
wrote:

m...@eighty4.se

Jan 15, 2009, 3:58:36 PM1/15/09
to habari-dev
I'll try to be as active as possible. I noticed two of my tickets are
marked HAT :D so most likely all my old code will break when this is
fixed.