Announcing GWT 2.0 Milestone 1

Amit Manjhi

Oct 5, 2009, 7:43:01 PM10/5/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi everyone,

We are excited to release the first milestone build for GWT 2.0 today.
This milestone provides early access (read: known to still be
unfinished and buggy) to the various bits of core functionality that
will be coming in GWT 2.0. Please download the bits from:

http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=2.0+Milestone+1

Things that are changing with GWT 2.0 that might otherwise be
confusing without explanation
* Terminology changes: We're going to start using the term
"development mode" rather than the old term "hosted mode." The term
"hosted mode" was sometimes confusing to people, so we'll be using the
more descriptive term from now on. For similar reasons, we'll be using
the term "production mode" rather than "web mode" when referring to
compiled script.

* Changes to the distribution: Note that there's only one download,
and it's no longer platform-specific. You download the same zip file
for every development platform. This is made possible by the new
plugin approach used to implement development mode (see below). The
distribution file does not include the browser plugins themselves;
those are downloaded separately the first time you use development
mode in a browser that doesn't have the plugin installed.

Functionality that will be coming in GWT 2.0
* In-Browser Development Mode: Prior to 2.0, GWT hosted mode provided
a special-purpose "hosted browser" to debug your GWT code. In 2.0, the
web page being debugged is viewed within a regular-old browser.
Development mode is supported through the use of a native-code plugin
for each browser. In other words, you can use development mode
directly from Safari, Firefox, IE, and Chrome.

* Code Splitting: Developer-guided code splitting allows you to chunk
your GWT code into multiple fragments for faster startup. Imagine
having to download a whole movie before being able to watch it. Well,
that's what you have to do with most Ajax apps these days -- download
the whole thing before using it. With code splitting, you can arrange
to load just the minimum script needed to get the application running
and the user interacting, while the rest of the app is downloaded as
needed.

* Declarative User Interface: GWT's UiBinder now allows you to create
user interfaces mostly declaratively. Previously, widgets had to be
created and assembled programmatically, requiring lots of code. Now,
you can use XML to declare your UI, making the code more readable,
easier to maintain, and faster to develop. The Mail sample has been
updated to use the new declarative UI.

* Bundling of resources (ClientBundle): GWT has shipped with
ImageBundles since GWT v1.4, giving developers automatic spriting of
images. ClientBundle generalizes this technique, bringing the power of
combining and optimizing resources into one download to things like
text files, CSS, and XML. This means fewer network round trips, which
in turn can decrease application latency -- especially on mobile
applications.

* Using HtmlUnit for running GWT tests: GWT 2.0 no longer uses SWT or
the old mozilla code (on linux) to run GWT tests. Instead, it uses
HtmlUnit as the built-in browser. HtmlUnit is 100% Java. This means
there is a single GWT distribution for linux, mac, and windows, and
debugging GWT Tests in development mode can be done entirely in a Java
debugger.

Known issues
* If you are planning to run the webAppCreator, i18nCreator, or the
junitCreator scripts on Mac or Linux, please set their executable bits
by doing a 'chmod +x *Creator'
* Our HtmlUnit integration is still not complete. Additionally,
HtmlUnit does not do layout. So tests can fail either because they
exercise layout or they hit bugs due to incomplete integration. If you
want such tests to be ignored on HtmlUnit, please annotate the test
methods with @DoNotRunWith({Platform.Htmlunit})
* The Google Eclipse Plugin will only allow you to add GWT release
directories that include a file with a name like gwt-dev-windows.jar.
You can fool it by sym linking or copying gwt-dev.jar to the
appropriate name.

Breaking changes
* The way arguments are passed to the GWT testing infrastructure has
been revamped. There is now a consistent syntax to support arbitrary
"runstyles", including user-written with no changes to GWT. Though
this does not affect common launch configs, some of the less common
ones will need to be updated. For example, '-selenium FF3' has become
'-runStyle selenium:FF3'

As always, remember that GWT milestone builds like this are use-at-
your-own-risk and we don't recommend it for production use. Please
report any bugs you encounter to the GWT issue tracker (http://
code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list) after doing a quick
search to see if your issue has already been reported.

-- Amit Manjhi, on behalf of the Google Web Toolkit team

ThomasWrobel

Oct 6, 2009, 8:28:32 AM10/6/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Fantastic.
Lots of great stuff there.
Particularly look forward to being able to use Firebug in
hos...development mode.

ClientBundle's sound cool, and should help speed up some stuff.
Although what I most want is the ability to dynamicaly load a bundle.
(so, for example, a client can change the whole theme of the a at
runtime by loading a single file)

Also, are Listeners still being used then? Or is it all Handlers now?
Because some widget libs haven't caught up yet. (Sliderbar on the
Incubator, for instance).

Cheers,
Thomas Wrobel

On Oct 6, 1:43 am, Amit Manjhi <amitman...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We are excited to release the first milestone build for GWT 2.0 today.
> This milestone provides early access (read: known to still be
> unfinished and buggy) to the various bits of core functionality that
> will be coming in GWT 2.0. Please download the bits from:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=2....

Rakesh

Oct 6, 2009, 2:49:48 PM10/6/09
to Google Web Toolkit
great release ... especially the declarative ui, download on demand
and multiple browsers piece!!! good going gwt team... you rock!!

Dominik Steiner

Oct 6, 2009, 8:32:12 PM10/6/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Congratulations! That was way faster than I expected, thanks for
getting this release out that early.

One remark: seems like the eclipse plugin is not accepting the current
release with the message after selecting the gwt-dev-ms1 folder that
gwt-dev-mac.jar (in my case) is missing. So I guess that a new eclipse
plugin version will have to handle that accordingly.

Domink

Chris Ramsdale

Oct 6, 2009, 8:44:38 PM10/6/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Domink,

The post below may provide you with some information regarding this issue:

- Chris

Dominik Steiner

Oct 6, 2009, 9:25:01 PM10/6/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris for the link,

as described in the link just copying gwt-dev.jar and renaming it to gwt-dev-mac.jar tricks the eclipse plugin and let's you easily start the OOPHM mode.

Dominik

Power Bottom

Oct 7, 2009, 12:51:55 AM10/7/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I just created an app with the M1 release and noticed that if you send
a Persistent Object up to the server save it, detach it and send it
back down, you don't get an error (This was admittedly a simple
object). Is this a new change in 2.0? If so, awesome and thanks. My
only question is why haven't I heard this was coming into 2.0
earlier?

Thanks,
Jeff

On Oct 6, 8:25 pm, Dominik Steiner <dominik.j.stei...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks Chris for the link,
>
> as described in the link just copying gwt-dev.jar and renaming it to
> gwt-dev-mac.jar tricks the eclipse plugin and let's you easily start
> the OOPHM mode.
>
> Dominik
>

> > Domink,
>
> > The post below may provide you with some information regarding this
> > issue:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> > - Chris
>
> > On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Dominik Steiner <dominik.j.stei...@googlemail.com

Parvez Shah

Oct 7, 2009, 6:51:19 AM10/7/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
why is the link showing it as deprecated.

GWT 2.0 Milestone 1 (for all platforms)   Deprecated

Paul Robinson

Oct 7, 2009, 7:07:17 AM10/7/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
because it's only a milestone and not a full release.

Parvez Shah wrote:
> why is the link showing it as deprecated.
>

> GWT 2.0 Milestone 1 (for all platforms)

> <http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/detail?name=gwt-2.0.0-ms1.zip&can=1&q=2..>
> Deprecated
> <http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?q=label:Deprecated>

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Power Bottom <lars...@gmail.com
> <mailto:lars...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> I just created an app with the M1 release and noticed that if you send
> a Persistent Object up to the server save it, detach it and send it
> back down, you don't get an error (This was admittedly a simple
> object). Is this a new change in 2.0? If so, awesome and thanks. My
> only question is why haven't I heard this was coming into 2.0
> earlier?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff
>
> On Oct 6, 8:25 pm, Dominik Steiner
> <dominik.j.stei...@googlemail.com

> <mailto:dominik.j.stei...@googlemail.com>>

> wrote:
> > Thanks Chris for the link,
> >
> > as described in the link just copying gwt-dev.jar and renaming
> it to
> > gwt-dev-mac.jar tricks the eclipse plugin and let's you easily
> start
> > the OOPHM mode.
> >
> > Dominik
> >

> > > Domink,
> >
> > > The post below may provide you with some information regarding
> this
> > > issue:
> >

> >http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
> >
> > > - Chris
> >
> > > On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Dominik Steiner
> <dominik.j.stei...@googlemail.com

> <mailto:dominik.j.stei...@googlemail.com>

> > > Congratulations! That was way faster than I expected, thanks for
> > > getting this release out that early.
> >
> > > One remark: seems like the eclipse plugin is not accepting the
> current
> > > release with the message after selecting the gwt-dev-ms1
> folder that
> > > gwt-dev-mac.jar (in my case) is missing. So I guess that a new
> eclipse
> > > plugin version will have to handle that accordingly.
> >
> > > Domink
> >
> > > On 6 Okt., 12:49, Rakesh <rake...@gmail.com

ThomasWrobel

Oct 7, 2009, 12:25:09 PM10/7/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Their should be a "unprecated" term :P

On Oct 7, 1:07 pm, Paul Robinson <ukcue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> because it's only a milestone and not a full release.
>

> Parvez Shah wrote:
> > why is the link showing it as deprecated.
>
> >    GWT 2.0 Milestone 1 (for all platforms)
> > <http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/detail?name=gwt.....>
> >   Deprecated
> > <http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?q=label:De...>

Joseph Arceneaux

Oct 7, 2009, 12:37:13 PM10/7/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
May we presume that the Snow Leopard issue is now history?

Thanks,
Joe

Sky

Oct 7, 2009, 9:32:22 PM10/7/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I set GWT 2.0 as the SDK for my project and it changed to the new
Development Swing UI In-browser mode instead of the old hosted mode. I
placed the given URL in both FF3.5 and IE8 and neither auto installed
the required plugin. Since my app is already compiled it renders fine
but I cannot debug. I tried manually installing the correct plugins
from http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/UsingOOPHM yet
the server is either only serving the compiled files or something is
wrong with the plugin because I cannot debug; breakpoints are not hit.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

On Oct 7, 11:37 am, Joseph Arceneaux <joe.arcene...@gmail.com> wrote:
> May we presume that the Snow Leopard issue is now history?
> Thanks,
> Joe
>

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Amit Manjhi <amitman...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
>
> > We are excited to release the first milestone build for GWT 2.0 today.
> > This milestone provides early access (read: known to still be
> > unfinished and buggy) to the various bits of core functionality that
> > will be coming in GWT 2.0. Please download the bits from:
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=2....

Joseph Arceneaux

Oct 7, 2009, 10:00:13 PM10/7/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
There does not appear to be a nice URL I can point Eclipse 3.5 at in order to install GWT 2.0 in the usual fashion.  Nor, apparently, any instructions about an alternate procedure.

It appears unclear on just where / how to merge the contents of the zip file into an existing Eclipse integration;  does anyone have a pointer to documentation for this?

Thanks,
Joe

Dominik Steiner

Oct 7, 2009, 10:08:26 PM10/7/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Jospeh,

did you consider to install the Google Plugin for eclipse?

You will even then run into problems, but reading through this post

http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/thread/527518f17e7a484e/28e2bbd2786143f3

you should be up and running pretty soon.

HTH

Dominik

On 7 Okt., 20:00, Joseph Arceneaux <joe.arcene...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There does not appear to be a nice URL I can point Eclipse 3.5 at in order
> to install GWT 2.0 in the usual fashion.  Nor, apparently, any instructions
> about an alternate procedure.
> It appears unclear on just where / how to merge the contents of the zip file
> into an existing Eclipse integration;  does anyone have a pointer to
> documentation for this?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe
>
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Amit Manjhi <amitman...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
>
> > We are excited to release the first milestone build for GWT 2.0 today.
> > This milestone provides early access (read: known to still be
> > unfinished and buggy) to the various bits of core functionality that
> > will be coming in GWT 2.0. Please download the bits from:
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=2....

Parvez Shah

Oct 8, 2009, 2:22:18 AM10/8/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I tried searching,but could not find any document regarding what all changes has been made in the API,

do we get any new widget in 2.0
any new annotation

Christian Goudreau

Oct 8, 2009, 9:50:40 AM10/8/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I got some problem too with Eclipse and Snow Leopard. It's always asking me to re-compile my application and I've done that a lot of times ! I was trying to get it work with an active project.

Christian

Sky

Oct 8, 2009, 1:33:07 PM10/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I got debugging to work!

I created a new GWT web app with the Eclipse google plugin using GWT
2.0MS1 as the SDK. This is what most likely solved my problem. Simply
changing a project from GWT 1.7.1 to 2.0 must not be making all the
necessary changes to the auto generated files to be properly
compatible. Obviously this sort of thing will be ironed out for
release.

Then I needed to first launch (not a debug launch) the newly created
GWT web app (with the default app still intact). I tried this with a
browser that did not have the plugin installed (FF3.5) and when
navigating to the URL it auto directed me to the plugin install web
page and after installing the plugin the web app was rendered
correctly. Note that at this point I have not compiled the app so the
plugin is indeed doing its job! The java code is what is interacting
synchronously with the browser instead of the compiled JS!

Note that I had first attempted to launch the app in debug mode which
gave me 3 errors related to the Appengine
(com.google.apphosting.utils.jetty... yet eclipse could not resolve
com.google.apphosting.utils.jetty) but those errors went away as soon
as I did a non debug launch. In other words, the app was able to do a
debug launch only after doing a regular launch.

With the debug launch successful I was able to hit a breakpoint in the
onModuleLoad method of this default web app! I then copied all the
required files from my previous project into this new one. Once again
I was able to hit a breakpoint on the onModuleLoad method!

I am very excited to have this working!

Ben

Oct 8, 2009, 4:50:45 PM10/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I have noticed that if you use Google Plugin to launch your project
with 2.0 jar. The development shell does not launch at all. You have
to launch it as a Java Application and set up some parameters by
yourself, then you are able to see that GWT Develop Mode popup shell
window. Is my observation correct?

Sky

Oct 8, 2009, 5:39:28 PM10/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Ben, with 2.0 my projects launch the development shell when using the
Google plugin launch options. It launched for me even when I just
changed a project from 1.7.1 to 2.0, but you could try creating a
whole new project with 2.0 from the start and copy the files over from
the old project.

Make sure the google plugin and the appengine is fully up to date.
What version of Ecipse are you using? Try downloading the new 3.5.1
version.

Sorry I can't help any more than that. gl

Ben

Oct 9, 2009, 1:36:13 PM10/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Sky, thanks for you reply. I am using Eclipse 3.5.0 (I am not sure
updating to 3.5.1 matters) and my google eclipse plugin is uptodate.It
still throws that exception if I just use default google plugin launch
configuration.

Christian Goudreau

Oct 9, 2009, 2:01:52 PM10/9/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I did the same trick as Sky to get my project to work. But I still have to problems.

First : When I lauch it in development mode, I can't close the development mode hosted window without closing eclipse, that's anoying because I can't switch to debug mode... So now, I just run it in debug without brake point to make sure I'm able to stop it and close the development mode hosted window.

Second : I have the new project html files instead of the one I'm using with my project ! That's really weird, because on top of my application I have everything from the new project html file, but my JS files, css files ar linked correctly ! LOL

Christian

Ben

Oct 9, 2009, 5:36:44 PM10/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hey, Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I just found out that it is an open bug for
OOPHM on Mac OS X. If you are curious, the bug is here:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3923.

cheers
Ben

On Oct 9, 2:01 pm, Christian Goudreau <goudreau.christ...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> read more »

balachandra maddina

Oct 10, 2009, 4:49:22 AM10/10/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way i can try these? the documents i got along with the milestone download doesn't contain anything about 2.0 Milestone 1 and its Features? i was hoping if some one could point me to examples of Declarative UI and Code Splitting examples?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
bala.

Alyxandor

Oct 10, 2009, 6:06:18 AM10/10/09
to Google Web Toolkit

> Is there a way i can try these? the documents i got along with the milestone
> download doesn't contain anything about 2.0 Milestone 1 and its Features? i
> was hoping if some one could point me to examples of Declarative UI and Code
> Splitting examples?

Check the mail sample for declarative UI, for runAsync(),
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit-Contributors/browse_thread/thread/eb9c8cf046cbaaf2
. The whole process is rather simple; call
GWT.runAsync(new RunAsyncCallback(){
onFailure(){Window.alert("Failed to load application");
onSuccess(){
GuiStuffOrWhatever.init();
//...
}
});

Whatever code that is referenced inside the GuiStuffOrWhatever class,
but NOT outside that class, will be chunked into a delayed download.
Using lots and lots of interfaces instead of full objects will make
your initial download full of basic prototype rules that all your
specific objects will share, and will not need to re-download / wait
for other implementations to be initialized. Basically, if you've
been careful to keep your specialized modules separated into unique
packages and reduced dependencies / use interfaces instead of full
object references, you should be able to take full advantage of this.
If all your code references all your other code over and over again,
you won't get much more use out of runAsync other than to have a nice
splash "loading" page while you do your monolithic onModuleLoad() code
inside a single runAsync(new RunAsyncCallback(){}); call.

balachandra maddina

Oct 10, 2009, 6:42:45 AM10/10/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

  Thx for the reply. since we are taking about async loading of script i have one more question here, could it be possible that a module can load a script asynchronously a calss from another module? im thinking more like an interface will be defined the Module-A and and the implementation calss is available in Module-B and the Module-A will be able to load the implementation from Module-B?

Thank you,
bala.

Alyxandor

Oct 10, 2009, 8:01:57 AM10/10/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Yes. You definitely want to load entire modules to make the best use
of runAsync.

I forgot to mention the inclusion of a class object in the call... It
uses the classname of {preferable} the "root" or "control" class in
the module, the one that does all your "work"... This, I believe, is
so that GWT KNOWS you are going to reference that particular class
{and any classes it references} in your module, but AFTER a waiting
period. They also use the class objects getName() for namespacing; so
each call to runAsync has a unique id. Do NOT call run async on the
same class, even if you use a different name... It will probably
bloat your code by redownloading common material, and it's better
coding practice to create your own callback class, then use a static
function to push your callbacks into a list, and make them all wait
until the very first request calls onSuccess();. I'll add some
extended source for the "multiple calls to the same async target" as
soon as I compile and test to make sure I know I'm on target. Until
then, here's my shiny new entry point that loads oooooohhh soooo fast!

public class xMain implements EntryPoint{

private int done = 0;

private xCssFrame loador = new xCssFrame();

@Override
public void onModuleLoad() {
loador.add(new Label("How Will You Save The World Today?"));
RootPanel.get().add(loador);
loador.xLeft(0.2);
loador.xTop(0.4);
loador.xWidth(0.6);
loador.xHeight(0.2);

GWT.runAsync(xWordWall.class, new RunAsyncCallback(){
@Override
public void onFailure(Throwable arg0) { }
@Override
public void onSuccess() {
done++;
xWordWall wall = new xWordWall();

wall.add("The War On Ignorance");
wall.add("TRUTH");
wall.add("Love");
//.....

RootPanel.get().add(wall);

wall.xPaintMe();

if (done>1)
xAllReady();
}
});
GWT.runAsync(xTextEditor.class, new RunAsyncCallback(){
@Override
public void onFailure(Throwable reason) {}
@Override
public void onSuccess() {
done++;
xTextEditor ed = new xTextEditor(new xText("How Will You Save The
World Today?"));
ed.xCoords(new xGeneCoords(0.2,0.1,0.7,0.6));
RootPanel.get().add(ed);
ed.xPaintMe(51);

if (done>1)
xAllReady();
}
});
}

//Common callback to let this class know both it's dependencies are
satisfied;
private void xAllReady() {
xFx.$(loador).xFadeRem(1000, loador);
}

}

// I also intend to explore any appengine compatibility issue... The
dev server already saved my text editor content though...
//So; THANK YOU GWT!! /You rock!

Alyxandor

Oct 10, 2009, 8:10:57 AM10/10/09
to Google Web Toolkit
As to your questions about Module-A and Module-B, you don't HAVE to
make the interfaces for Module-B available in Module-A; but if you
also want to use those interfaces in Module-C, it will be more
efficient to download the interfaces first, in Module-A, so both
Module-B and Module-C can implement that interface knowing it won't
have to duplicate the same boilerplate code. I'm going to PRETTY
compile, upload to appengine and inspect to verify my inferences, then
post back here, or on a more relevant thread and just post a link.

PS - The entry point I posted isn't terribly nice on the UI, as the
cache.js files of both runAsync() calls block the js while they
download; but it works so it makes me happy inside. A better method
would be to use one runAsync() to stick an animated "loading" gif on
the center of the page, then use a single callback to build the main
UI, whose buttons all call runAsync() on their first click. ...Me
thinks...

PEACE!

--Wise Words Woven With Will Wake Worlds--

balachandra maddina

Oct 10, 2009, 3:07:34 PM10/10/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alyxandor,

  Thx a lot for very detailed explanation. infact, im using a similar pattern you have explained regarding callback(its for a different case using JSNI). but i have few questions here,

1. How can two Gwt Modules share a same interface(java class). i mean if i put this common lib in some package other than client package the compilation fails isnt it? even if i create two identical interface definitions and place them in the client package of these different modules, still the java package name would be different so i pass the interface definition to one module from another module would the compiled javascript be able to understand?

2. As these are two different modules, two will have two HTML files and im loading these two modules as FRAME's in a parent window so if i invoke One of the module and get the common lib code would the other module be able to understand? please let me know if there a better way to load two different modules in one container module.

Please let me know your views on the above two cases. your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you,
bala.

Alyxandor

Oct 10, 2009, 10:11:54 PM10/10/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Ok, I see where you're going, and I've been there.... A few times.
No, seperate root entry points have completely separate obfuscation
patterns, and will never share java objects. You CAN do it if you're
willing to collapse down to JSNI on every transaction, but this can be
costly and inefficient.

There are many roads open to you, and I personally recommend runAsync
() as it's the new, polished, officially supported method to make
monolithic apps WITHOUT using multiple frames. I've made two seperate
modules that are designed to communicate through iframes and shared
JSNI objects. In one, I extended onModuleLoad to use a communicator
interface, which accepts and sends JSNI objects using native methods
that rip out the javascript function from java mehtods, store them in
a namespace in the $wnd variables, so any two xModules with the same
global namespace string "hook up" the javascript objects in a very
dirty, hackish manner. It worked, but it is a REAL pain to debug
because "some" browsers don't like to communicate through iframes like
others. It also broke Opera and spent more time compiling the same
base code twice per iteration than I like to remember. The key of
this method is to use static JSNI namespacing to create a common int,
double and String "interfacing" {but with JSNI, no interfaces are
used. I just mean both sides of the iframe do stuff like {S:
2,S0:"Str1",S1:"Str2",I:1,I0:123}, and they just "know" how to access
the data}. NO JAVA OBJECTS ARE TRANSLATABLE, so don't use them
without converting through JSON.

http://www.aiyx.info/xSrc.html#xSource/xBook.xFacets.client.xCommunicator.java
http://www.aiyx.info/xSrc.html#xSource/xBook.logickmal.client.xRNA.java
http://www.aiyx.info/xSrc.html#xSource/xBook.xModulus.client.xModule.java
http://www.aiyx.info/xSrc.html#xSource/xBook.logickmal.client.xDNA.java
http://www.aiyx.info/xSrc.html#xSource/xBook.logickmal.client.xLocus.java

A new method I used to communicate through frames was to use GWT
Exporter to create global JSNI copies of Java object prototypes {also
using static namespacing}, and rather than hook up parentRx(childTx())
<- js -> childRx(parentTx()) links, I export all the root tasks into
the root, parent iframe, and then use native methods to find the root
gwt window, and send primitive data through static native functions to
get some cross frame communication going. This method is still buggy
and kind of ill because it has to store a reference to the modules
hidden iframe "scope" window, so ripped out java callbacks
{AsyncCallbacks} from the child window need to send the native window
{NOT $wnd} for context so the parent can wrap functions with stuff
like:
void xDo(JSO task,String x)/*-{
task.job.call(task.wnd, x)
}-*/;
This method works, but there's a lot of boilerplate involved. Once I
get a decent milestone to satisfy me, I'm going to try writing a
generator for this to make the static accessor functions, because as
it is, I've basically got to write the same code three times for each
function; once to do it, once to translate through JS, and another for
static accessor functions.

I'm telling you right now, unless you HAVE to use FRAMEs or an
existing API, you are wasting your time and the efficiency of your
code trying to compile multiple modules to communicate with each
other. It's possible, but it's gross and now that runAsync is fully
Appengine compatible, your best best is to do everything in a single
module, and just build each frame as a "virtual frame", using two
runAsync() methods that build their elements using RootPanel.get
("id1") and RootPanel.get("id2") to put each module's implementation
into two divs that look and act like frames, but run in the same
environment. To do this, you actually want THREE modules. The root
module is what loads and builds the other two, plus it should access
the common interfaces and any common static functions so that the two
child modules don't have to include the code. Then you can do
GWT.runAsync(EntryPoint1.class, new RunAsyncCallback(){
public void onFailure();
public void onSuccess(){
GWT.<EntryPoint1>create(EntryPoint1.class).onModuleLoad();
}
});

http://code.google.com/p/xbook {source check out, look in the main src
folder, ai.yx.common.client.* }

This way, you can skip JSNI bridges, and just do regular java stuff
with static functions in common code area. This reminds me, when you
want to include common code to multiple modules, you put it into a
separate client package and add a dummy .gwt.xml module definition
that does NOT use an entry point. Think of module xml's like global
dependency / import maps. You've got to import all your code properly
in java, but you've got to tell GWT exactly what packages you want to
access from which other packages, AND in what order to load them.
It's basically an extended classpath that GWT uses to trim deprecated
packages by only including what you need. To make a common import
package, just put it in it's own client package, with a .gwt.xml in
the /client root folder that just <inherits /> whatever dependencies
your common interfaces / static functions need, with NO NEED FOR AN
ENTRY POINT. If you inspect some PRETTY compiled outputs, Entry
points are added, in the inheritance order used, in the module's main
onModuleLoad; an object of each EntryPoint is created and it's non-
static onModuleLoad is called to give your app static access to a
singleton, instance-level object of each EntryPoint.

Interfaces and static functions shouldn't need EntryPoints, but if
they do, you can include them. If you want, for reference, you can
check my pre-release code {currently a terrible mess} at
http://code.google.com/p/xbook. I basically just svn import'd my
project split in two so I could use prerelease gwt2.0 to build widgets
in OOPHM and another for Appengine support. Once I get back to my
main dev box, I'll restructure my code into a single project and make
it must easier to implement, possibly with a jar for quick reference.
If you still want to use JSNI across frames, tell me why, and I can
probably save you some time figuring out how to specifically hack it
out. If I have any code you can hack on, I can extract it so it's not
so terribly confusing as my current code hive.

Short answers:
1) Use seperate gwt modules {preferable without EntryPoints} for
client code; extracting it and it's base dependencies in one
package.
2)If you want two FRAMES to communicate, they need to exist as
children of a common root Module that hooks their Rx(JSO x) <--> JSO Tx
() functions up in JSNI. If you want two IFRAMES to communicate, you
just need to designate one as parent and the other as child. Then,
before making the child iframe, have the parent put a global,
namespaced function for it's child to callback on into the $wnd
variable, create the child frame, on child load, call $wnd.parent
['nsCallback'].hookup($wnd, this) so both scopes store direct
references to each other's Rx and Tx methods, then start sending JSOs
across!

G'Luck!

Ed

Oct 11, 2009, 2:54:29 PM10/11/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Sky,

Make sure to go through these steps as described here for an existing
GWT project:
http://code.google.com/eclipse/docs/existingprojects.html
You can verify that your existing project is well prepared for gwt:
you need to have two extra GWT builders in your project.
If you have only one, something went wrong, make sure the steps are
performed well.

Ed

Sky

Oct 12, 2009, 4:52:02 PM10/12/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Christian,

does it work to Terminate the process to close the dev mode hosted
window? It should. It works for me to just close it. Works in Vista
and Win 7.

I don't understand your second problem. Do you mean the main html
file, the one with the application's name is the one that was
generated from creating the new project and you did not update it to
be the same as the original project?

On Oct 9, 1:01 pm, Christian Goudreau <goudreau.christ...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> read more »

Rajeev Dayal

Oct 12, 2009, 6:56:26 PM10/12/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Regarding your first problem (and the one you mentioned about 5 days before this post), could it be the following:

Rajeev Dayal

Oct 12, 2009, 6:59:37 PM10/12/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
We didn't bundle GWT 2.0 MS1 with the plugin, as it is still a milestone. To add it as another GWT SDK to your Google Plugin For Eclipse installation, download GWT 2.0 MS1, unzip it, and follow these instructions:

With regard to the Snow Leopard issue, it is history, but the plugin still does have an OSX issue (which will be fixed shortly):

miller

Oct 13, 2009, 12:02:52 AM10/13/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I am using Snow Leopard w/ Eclipse Plugin. When I run in Development
mode, my development mode window is under constant beach ball.

How do you work around this issue? are there directions anywhere?

thanks-
Mike

> read more »

Miguel Méndez

Oct 13, 2009, 6:34:22 AM10/13/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Barring any last minute issues, we should have version 1.1.2 of the plugin ready to go by end of day today.  It will be compatible with MS1 and it will also address this -XstartOnFirstThread issue which causes the beach ball.  Please see issue http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3923 for more details.

In the meantime, you could create a java launch configuration in Eclipse and specify the entry point, GWT arguments and tweak the classpath.  The following links should help get you setup: http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/1.6/FAQ_DebuggingAndCompiling.htmlhttp://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/UsingOOPHM.

HTH,
--
Miguel

Ben

Oct 13, 2009, 11:22:24 AM10/13/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Looking forward to that, Miguel!

-Ben

On Oct 13, 6:34 am, Miguel Méndez <mmen...@google.com> wrote:
> Barring any last minute issues, we should have version 1.1.2 of the plugin
> ready to go by end of day today.  It will be compatible with MS1 and it will
> also address this -XstartOnFirstThread issue which causes the beach ball.
>  Please see issuehttp://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3923for more
> details.
> In the meantime, you could create a java launch configuration in Eclipse and
> specify the entry point, GWT arguments and tweak the classpath.  The
> following links should help get you setup:http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/1.6/FAQ_DebuggingAndCompiling.html,http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/UsingOOPHM.
>
> read more »

Ben

Oct 14, 2009, 12:27:18 PM10/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I have just installed 1.1.2 in my Eclipse 3.5. Created a new sample
project using plugin with newest GWT 2 MS1. Then launch the
application, it still throws out error msg like this:

2009-10-14 12:16:42.869 java[8409:80f] [Java CocoaComponent
compatibility mode]: Enabled
2009-10-14 12:16:42.871 java[8409:80f] [Java CocoaComponent
compatibility mode]: Setting timeout for SWT to 0.100000
2009-10-14 12:16:43.770 java[8409:17f03] *** -[NSConditionLock
unlock]: lock (<NSConditionLock: 0x114840> '(null)') unlocked when not
locked
2009-10-14 12:16:43.770 java[8409:17f03] *** Break on _NSLockError()
to debug.
2009-10-14 12:16:43.901 java[8409:17f03] *** -[NSConditionLock
unlock]: lock (<NSConditionLock: 0x19c3d0> '(null)') unlocked when not
locked
2009-10-14 12:16:43.902 java[8409:17f03] *** Break on _NSLockError()
to debug.
2009-10-14 12:16:44.014 java[8409:17f03] *** -[NSConditionLock
unlock]: lock (<NSConditionLock: 0x19bfb0> '(null)') unlocked when not
locked
2009-10-14 12:16:44.015 java[8409:17f03] *** Break on _NSLockError()
to debug.
2009-10-14 12:16:44.133 java[8409:17f03] *** -[NSConditionLock
unlock]: lock (<NSConditionLock: 0x13a4d0> '(null)') unlocked when not
locked
2009-10-14 12:16:44.134 java[8409:17f03] *** Break on _NSLockError()
to debug.

The development shell does get launched, but it is clickable. Whenever
I move my mouse over the development shell, it keeps loading so it is
basically not usable.

BTW, I am using Eclipse 3.5 Cocoa 64bit version on Leopard. Is this
the problem?

Thanks,
Ben

On Oct 13, 6:34 am, Miguel Méndez <mmen...@google.com> wrote:
> Barring any last minute issues, we should have version 1.1.2 of the plugin
> ready to go by end of day today.  It will be compatible with MS1 and it will
> also address this -XstartOnFirstThread issue which causes the beach ball.
>  Please see issuehttp://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3923for more
> details.
> In the meantime, you could create a java launch configuration in Eclipse and
> specify the entry point, GWT arguments and tweak the classpath.  The
> following links should help get you setup:http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/1.6/FAQ_DebuggingAndCompiling.html,http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/UsingOOPHM.
>
> read more »

Miguel Méndez

Oct 14, 2009, 1:54:59 PM10/14/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Strange.  I just tried it on my Eclipse 3.5 carbon & cocoa 64 bit and both work correctly.

Are you sure that you have the 1.1.2 plugin?  Are you using GWT & App Engine or just GWT?  It would help to get see the command line used to by the launch configuration.  Lastly, are you using a Contributor SDK? (If you are you'll need to a clean followed by a build).
--
Miguel

Christian Goudreau

Oct 14, 2009, 2:46:26 PM10/14/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Same for me, I'm using the same thing and it's working correctly ! Although it's a bit slow, but not slower than the old hosted mode.

Christian

Ben

Oct 14, 2009, 2:47:28 PM10/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Okay, just checked the command line. It looks like it still appends -
XstartOnFirstThread:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/
java -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,suspend=y,address=localhost:
57735 -Xmx512m -XstartOnFirstThread -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath /
Users/bhu/workspace35/GWT2/src:/Users/bhu/workspace35/GWT2/war/WEB-INF/
classes:/Users/bhu/Downloads/gwt-2.0.0-ms1/gwt-user.jar:/Users/bhu/
Downloads/gwt-2.0.0-ms1/gwt-dev-mac.jar com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode -
startupUrl GWT2.html -war /Users/bhu/workspace35/GWT2/war -logLevel
INFO -style OBFUSCATED -port 8080 com.test.gwt.GWT2

I am using the GWT 2 Milestone 1 release, I just created the sample
project using GWT2.0 and launch it. I tried to include App Engine, it
is the same thing. I upgraded Google Plugin from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 this
morning.

On Oct 14, 1:54 pm, Miguel Méndez <mmen...@google.com> wrote:
> Strange.  I just tried it on my Eclipse 3.5 carbon & cocoa 64 bit and both
> work correctly.
> Are you sure that you have the 1.1.2 plugin?  Are you using GWT & App Engine
> or just GWT?  It would help to get see the command line used to by the
> launch configuration.  Lastly, are you using a Contributor
> SDK<http://code.google.com/eclipse/docs/gwt_contrib_sdks.html>?
> >http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/1.6/FAQ_DebuggingAndCompiling.h...
> > .
>
> read more »

Ben

Oct 14, 2009, 3:10:08 PM10/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I tried again with a clean install of eclipse 3.5.1 and google plugin
1.1.2 with Milestone 1 releases. Still the same problem. I am using
Leopard instead of Snow Leopard. Not sure if this is the problem.

-Ben

On Oct 14, 1:54 pm, Miguel Méndez <mmen...@google.com> wrote:
> Strange.  I just tried it on my Eclipse 3.5 carbon & cocoa 64 bit and both
> work correctly.
> Are you sure that you have the 1.1.2 plugin?  Are you using GWT & App Engine
> or just GWT?  It would help to get see the command line used to by the
> launch configuration.  Lastly, are you using a Contributor
> SDK<http://code.google.com/eclipse/docs/gwt_contrib_sdks.html>?
> >http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/1.6/FAQ_DebuggingAndCompiling.h...
> > .
>
> read more »

Rajeev Dayal

Oct 14, 2009, 5:23:04 PM10/14/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting the command line. The following entry caught my eye:

Users/bhu/Downloads/gwt-2.0.0-ms1/gwt-dev-mac.jar

If you're using GWT 2.0 MS1, you should not have a jar named 'gwt-dev-mac.jar'. There should only be a gwt-dev.jar. Can you try again with a clean install of GWT 2.0 MS1?

Ben

Oct 14, 2009, 5:34:54 PM10/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks for the reply Rajeev. This does solve the problem!

I was following instruction in this thread from Amit:

* The Google Eclipse Plugin will only allow you to add GWT release
directories that include a file with a name like gwt-dev-windows.jar.
You can fool it by sym linking or copying gwt-dev.jar to the
appropriate name.

I guess with the new release of plugin, this is not required any more?
Apparently Google Plugin is able to recognize a jar file like gwt-
dev.jar.

Thanks a lot!

On Oct 14, 5:23 pm, Rajeev Dayal <rda...@google.com> wrote:
> Thanks for posting the command line. The following entry caught my eye:
> *Users/bhu/Downloads/gwt-2.0.0-ms1/gwt-dev-mac.jar *
> *
> *
> *If you're using GWT 2.0 MS1, you should not have a jar named
> 'gwt-dev-mac.jar'. There should only be a gwt-dev.jar. Can you try again
> with a clean install of GWT 2.0 MS1?*
> *
> *
> *
>
> read more »

Miguel Méndez

Oct 15, 2009, 6:39:38 AM10/15/09
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Ben <benz...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I see that the command line has a gwt-dev-mac.jar on the classpath, but MS1 did not include a gwt-dev-mac.jar.  Did you use the symlink trick to get the plugin to work with MS1 (symlink gwt-dev-mac.jar to gwt-dev.jar)?  If so you will want to remove the symlink and then it should work.

Please let me know.

--
Miguel

Ben

Oct 15, 2009, 11:04:04 AM10/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi, Miguel, I already did that and I think maybe the instructions in
the first post of this thread should do some changes otherwise it is
going to confuse people.

Thanks a lot! 1.1.2 is a timely update for gwt 2.0

-Ben

On Oct 15, 6:39 am, Miguel Méndez <mmen...@google.com> wrote:

> read more »

Miguel Méndez

Oct 15, 2009, 11:48:09 AM10/15/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ben.  I'll correct the first post.
--
Miguel

Eric

Oct 15, 2009, 3:44:28 PM10/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit

On Oct 5, 7:43 pm, Amit Manjhi <amitman...@google.com> wrote:
> * Changes to the distribution: Note that there's only one download,
> and it's no longer platform-specific. You download the same zip file
> for every development platform. This is made possible by the new
> plugin approach used to implement development mode (see below). The
> distribution file does not include the browser plugins themselves;
> those are downloaded separately the first time you use development
> mode in a browser that doesn't have the plugin installed.

WIll this support developers working on closed networks with no
Internet connectivity? Will there be problems deploying on networks
with no Internet connectivity?

Could the plugins be packaged for separate downloads?

Respectfully,
Eric Jablow

Marko Vuksanovic

Oct 16, 2009, 3:54:48 AM10/16/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I had the same problem - I solved it by manually deleting the temp
internet files and all the cache in browser.

On Oct 8, 3:50 pm, Christian Goudreau <goudreau.christ...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I got some problem too with Eclipse and Snow Leopard. It's always asking me
> to re-compile my application and I've done that a lot of times ! I was
> trying to get it work with an active project.
>
> Christian
>

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 2:22 AM, Parvez Shah <parvezs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I tried searching,but could not find any document regarding what all
> > changes has been made in the API,
>
> > do we get any new widget in 2.0
> > any new annotation
>
> > On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Dominik Steiner <
> > dominik.j.stei...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi Jospeh,
>
> >> did you consider to install the Google Plugin for eclipse?
>
> >> You will even then run into problems, but reading through this post
>
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> >> you should be up and running pretty soon.
>
> >> HTH
>
> >> Dominik

> >> order
> >> instructions
> >> file

> >> ..

jscheller

Oct 21, 2009, 2:28:57 PM10/21/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Is there a build of the GWT incubator library available for download
somewhere for use with the GWT 2.0 ms1 build?

Jaroslav Záruba

Oct 23, 2009, 11:48:46 AM10/23/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Please, does the UI-binder thing support loading of XML-definitions at
runtime? So you could load prepared pieces of your UI later...?

kay

Nov 6, 2009, 2:46:41 PM11/6/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks Sky for posting your finding.

I created a new project, got the missing GWT browser plugin page, view
source on it shows that it can be accessed directly,
http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/plugins/MissingBrowserPlugin.html

Got everything to work nicely :)