Django + GAE

Daniel Larkin

Oct 29, 2008, 12:24:09 PM10/29/08
to Google App Engine
Hi all,

I'd like to use Django on GAE for a small project. Ideally I'd like to
use version 1.0 of Django rather than 0.96, and I'm aware there are
various patches and helper scripts etc to make this possible. Yet,
these approaches seem less than straight-forward (perhaps I'm
incorrect there? I haven't actually tried them) and are such patches
going to break with newer versions of GAE. After initially deciding to
use Django 1.0, I'm now considering just using the built-in 0.96
version, would this be such a bad idea for someone moving from php-
land to an elegant python MVC design pattern based solution.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

Dan Sanderson

Oct 29, 2008, 1:04:13 PM10/29/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'd recommend Django 1.0 along with the Helper or something similar.  You could use Django without the Helper if you accommodate some of the import technicalities, the Helper just makes it easier.  This article discusses using Django without the Helper (though I'm not sure if the article works out of the box with Django 1.0):
See also the article on using the Helper, and the article on using Django 1.0 via a feature called zipimport (which the Helper also supports):

As far as compatibility goes, the runtime environment is versioned, with the intent that changes to a given version of the runtime will remain backwards compatible with apps that run with that version.  When a new version of the runtime environment is released containing incompatible changes, your app will continue to use the original version until you update your app.yaml file.  I haven't tried appenginepatch, but a version of it that works with v1 of the Python runtime ought to continue to do so even when there's a v2.

-- Dan

Adam Fisk

Oct 29, 2008, 1:52:56 PM10/29/08
to Google App Engine
I highly recommend app engine patch. It's a much more active project
than app engine helper, and it works really well.

-Adam

On Oct 29, 10:04 am, "Dan Sanderson" <dansander...@google.com> wrote:
> I'd recommend Django 1.0 along with the Helper or something similar.  You
> could use Django without the Helper if you accommodate some of the import
> technicalities, the Helper just makes it easier.  This article discusses
> using Django without the Helper (though I'm not sure if the article works
> out of the box with Django 1.0):http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/django.html
>
> See also the article on using the Helper, and the article on using Django
> 1.0 via a feature called zipimport (which the Helper also supports):
>  http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/appengine_helper_for_django...
>  http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/django10_zipimport.html
>
> As far as compatibility goes, the runtime environment is versioned, with the
> intent that changes to a given version of the runtime will remain backwards
> compatible with apps that run with that version.  When a new version of the
> runtime environment is released containing incompatible changes, your app
> will continue to use the original version until you update your app.yaml
> file.  I haven't tried appenginepatch, but a version of it that works with
> v1 of the Python runtime ought to continue to do so even when there's a v2.
>
> -- Dan

Arash

Oct 29, 2008, 2:42:23 PM10/29/08
to Google App Engine
Unfortunately you will not get Django's scaffolded admin interface in
none of them

Daniel Larkin

Oct 29, 2008, 3:12:27 PM10/29/08
to Google App Engine
Yes I understand that, though that doesn't overly bother me. From the
opinion of others I think maybe its worth trying out the gae patch.

yejun

Oct 29, 2008, 3:24:40 PM10/29/08
to Google App Engine
All of them are monkey patchs, which means it may break when you do an
upgrade.
For simple project I think the buildin webapp frameworks should works
as well.

ctran

Oct 29, 2008, 4:11:31 PM10/29/08
to Google App Engine
I strongly recommend going with Django 1.0 since it's much easier to
find the correct help/documentation. Otherwise you may run into
strange things with 0.96. The easiest way to use Django 1.0 with
AppEngine is appengine patch. I got the whole thing working under 5
minutes (using the sample project).

johnP

Oct 30, 2008, 2:20:09 AM10/30/08
to Google App Engine
A week ago, I asked a similar question:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/6d04d8b69e89d361#

Based on the feedback, I tried the Patch. I am now finishing porting
a bunch of code. I am super-impressed with it. We'll see, in the
long term. But so far, it has exceeded my expectations by a wide
margin.

@@

Oct 30, 2008, 5:02:30 AM10/30/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
hi i have django admin works on app engine helper with some modifications (both django admin and app engine helper) .

demo: http://djangoadmin.appspot.com/admin/

Matt McDonald

Oct 30, 2008, 12:56:23 PM10/30/08
to Google App Engine
On Oct 30, 5:02 am, "@@" <ask...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi i have django admin works on app engine helper with some modifications
> (both django admin and app engine helper) .
>
> demo:http://djangoadmin.appspot.com/admin/<http://djangoadmin.appspot.com/admin/>

Awesome! Care to share the diff/patch please?

riklaunim

Nov 19, 2008, 2:40:00 PM11/19/08
to Google App Engine
Is this patch available somewhere?

@@ napisał(a):
> hi i have django admin works on app engine helper with some modifications
> (both django admin and app engine helper) .
>
> demo: http://djangoadmin.appspot.com/admin/<http://djangoadmin.appspot.com/admin/>

@@

Nov 19, 2008, 8:11:01 PM11/19/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com