Who else would like that the rules to combine ga:pagePath worked the way advanced segments do?

watt

Apr 23, 2009, 12:18:40 PM4/23/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Currently the ga:pagePath can't be combined with the metric
ga:visits.

How can I get the number of visits that have viewed the contents that
match: ^/products/tvs.*$

This works in GA GUI using an advanced segment, but at least in the
tests I have done it doesn't work. I guess because is not a valid
combination.

You can only get the sum of unique views which can be very different
to the actual visits figure.

Who else wants to request this feature?

Cheers,

Andres

RicktheArtist

Apr 24, 2009, 4:51:54 PM4/24/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
I could make use of this as well.

Rick

Enric (Multiplica)

Apr 28, 2009, 4:23:06 AM4/28/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Totally agree with you Andrew.
It would be very useful to have this functionality.
For the API would be a great improvement.

Regards!

Enric

Dan Kuthy

Apr 28, 2009, 12:23:12 PM4/28/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
I would also like to have this functionality.

David Aronchick

Apr 30, 2009, 6:36:26 PM4/30/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
+1 numrequests

Andreas

May 1, 2009, 12:59:08 AM5/1/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Agreed. I'd love to see this feature added.

Oleg

May 6, 2009, 5:37:23 PM5/6/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Hello,

I was stuck with the same problem. It would be very useful to be able
to have D2 segmentation (sources/keywords) for a specific page
(filtering pagePath).

Looking forward to see this implemented in Export API.

Thanks.

watt

May 9, 2009, 9:22:10 AM5/9/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Anyone else here?

This is a cool request! It will allow you to get aggregated visits to
a content section to calculate the reach of any given section over the
total visits.

Andres

chrissky

May 10, 2009, 10:47:03 AM5/10/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Add me (and all my customers) as requesters.

Arthur

May 20, 2009, 11:50:50 AM5/20/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Yup, I too would like to have advanced segments in the API...

Cheers,

Nick

May 20, 2009, 1:25:09 PM5/20/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Hey Guys,

We definitely hear you and are looking to better understand how best
to provide this feature. There are a couple of ways one can segment in
the User Interface and to better plan how to adapt them to the API
could you provide us a couple of your top use cases on how you would
want to use advanced segmentation through the API?

Thanks!
-Nick

Ned Kost

May 20, 2009, 4:00:22 PM5/20/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Ultimately, it would be awesome if there was a way to link Keyword
data to Page data, so that if I generate a report for Keyword Analytic
data, I can also get the page that corresponds with that data. That
isn't even possible using Advanced Segmentation but it would be the
most ideal case.

Here are some examples of the types of things that would be useful for
my company:

- Which of my pages are generating the most natural search traffic?
(Segment on Medium)

- Which of my pages are generating the most mobile traffic? (Segment
on Operating System)

- Which of my pages is getting the most traffic from google? msn?
(Segment on Source)

- I know that keyword 'shovel' resulted in 100 Entrances to my site.
What page did they come in on, ? Was it mysite.com/tools? mysite.com/
gardening? What other pages did they go to from that keyword

- A page caused 100 PageViews, what were the keywords that brought
the user to my site?

- I know that keyword 'shovel' is the hottest natural search word for
me. But which page are they being funneled to?

Ideally, it would be nice to specify all these things at once so I can
get Natural Search Page data by Medium/Operating System.

Thanks!

watt

May 25, 2009, 12:49:52 PM5/25/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Hi Nick,

The kind of applications or usage scenarios that I was thinking were:

1) Be able to export the number visits to a content section (instead
of the sum of unique views) so I can then report the ratio of the
section to total visits

2) Be able to export the visits that have visited content A and
content B so I can calculate fallout reports for visits that visited
A and then B (kind of funnel reports)

3) Be able to obtain any report based on a condition over content
dimension. Meaning for all visits that viewed content C which country,
source, medium, landing page... etc they have?

Cheers,

Andrés

johano

Jun 10, 2009, 9:29:54 AM6/10/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Yes me too!!

Im working at integrating GoogleAnalytics with a CMS-system, and the
first thing I hit is not being able to use
D3.Content dimensions together with D2. Campaign!!

/johan

tomm...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2009, 1:51:37 PM6/10/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
I would be interested in this feature as well. :)

Peace...

Tom

Roderik

Jun 17, 2009, 5:33:01 AM6/17/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
For me the same way as someone above described, i would like to be
able to get visitor d

Roderik

Jun 17, 2009, 5:34:50 AM6/17/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
http://groups.google.com/group/google-analytics-data-export-api/browse_thread/thread/7c76ee092abb5a10

I would also like to see this possible, for the same reason Oleg
mentioned. Filtering on pagePath to get visitor info for a specific
page

CR

Jun 19, 2009, 9:14:49 AM6/19/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
I agree with Oleg. I am able to navigate to it through the
dashboard. It would be nice to do it through the Export API.

Thanks.

tzjames

Jun 26, 2009, 7:25:44 PM6/26/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
1.
I'd like to be able to be able to filter by
ga:pagePath==X;ga:userDefinedValue=Y
As you have this in the User Interface there seems no reason this
should be a blocked combination in the API.

2.
Also the ability to see the ga:keywords dimension with ga:pagePath

Also

Nick

Jul 1, 2009, 6:06:41 PM7/1/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Hey Guys,

If you didn't hear on the notify group, we released the ability to
combine most campaign and content dimensions. You can now query source
by pagePath, hostname by pagePath, networkLocation by pagePath,
etc....

We've updated the valid combinations diagram to reflect these
changes : http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gdata/gdataReferenceDimensionsMetrics.html#queryValidation

Your feedback through this post was invaluable in getting this
prioritized and out the door.

Thanks!
-Nick

stadiumred

Jul 5, 2009, 11:47:53 PM7/5/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Nick, just to confirm, this still does not expose navigational data
(including entrance path reports), correct? See
http://groups.google.com/group/google-analytics-data-export-api/browse_thread/thread/206af926b63701f0/8dd4fc177d2434f5?lnk=gst&q=landingpage#8dd4fc177d2434f5

On Jul 1, 5:06 pm, Nick wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> If you didn't hear on the notify group, we released the ability to
> combine most campaign and content dimensions. You can now query source
> by pagePath, hostname by pagePath, networkLocation by pagePath,
> etc....
>
> We've updated the valid combinations diagram to reflect these
> changes :http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gdata/gdataReferenceDimens...

Nick

Jul 7, 2009, 11:46:11 AM7/7/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Correct,

This recent update relaxes the combination restrictions and allows
page level and session level dimensions.
Navigational data is still not exposed.

-Nick

On Jul 5, 8:47 pm, stadiumred wrote:
> Nick, just to confirm, this still does not expose navigational data
> (including entrance path reports), correct? Seehttp://groups.google.com/group/google-analytics-data-export-api/brows...

Ned Kost

Jul 7, 2009, 2:20:41 PM7/7/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Is this only available via the API? I tried creating a Custom Report
to plan out what exactly I wanted my query to look like, and it seems
the Custom Report interface still has the original restrictions.

Thanks.

On Jul 1, 5:06 pm, Nick wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> If you didn't hear on the notify group, we released the ability to
> combine most campaign and content dimensions. You can now query source
> by pagePath, hostname by pagePath, networkLocation by pagePath,
> etc....
>
> We've updated the valid combinations diagram to reflect these
> changes :http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gdata/gdataReferenceDimens...

Nick

Jul 7, 2009, 2:37:23 PM7/7/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Indeed, this new functionality is avaliable through the API and hasn't
been implemented through custom reports.

-Nick

Ned Kost

Jul 7, 2009, 4:13:15 PM7/7/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Nice!

I was able to run a query through the API that used ga:date,
ga:source, ga:medium, ga:landingpage, and ga:keywords as dimensions!
This will be very valuable data to our Analysts. Thank you so much!

If I may recommend the next functional enhancement.. The only metrics
we need now, that we can't get with current dimension rules, are Goal/
Revenue/Transaction metrics based on LandingPage. We only want to
pull back Natural Search data, separated by sources. Right now,
D4.Ecommerce metrics are not retrievable with the D2.Campaign (medium/
source) and D3.Content dimensions.

Thanks again for all of Google's work!

-Ned

andres

Jul 8, 2009, 4:22:18 PM7/8/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update.

Regarding using ga:pagePath (either a dimension or filter) combined
with ga:visits metric, Do you have a roadmap for these kind of
features that involve visits and visitors metrics combined with
content dimensions?

cheers,

Andres

Nick

Jul 8, 2009, 4:32:30 PM7/8/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Supporting Advanced Segmentation is definitely something we're
actively looking at. We don't have a public road map, but we'll
prioritize features based on feedback through this group.

I'm actually interested to know if developers here know the difference
between filters and advanced segments? :)

Cheers,
-Nick

andres

Jul 9, 2009, 6:31:25 AM7/9/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Hi Nick,

Some diferences between filters and Advanced segments...

1) Segments are retroactive, meaning you can apply an advanced segment
on historic traffic, filters only affect new collected traffic (HUGE
DIFFERENCE)!!!!

2) Segment operate at a visit level. filters instead work at hit
level. A clear example of this would be an advanced segment with a
condition to include content pagename equal /pageA.html. The result of
this advanced segment will be all visits that viewed /pageA.html
including all other hits (pageview, events and transacctions)
generated by those visits. A profile with a filter to include traffic
with request URI (pagename) equal to /pageA.html will only include the
traffic to that content excluding all the other activity from the
visits.

3) A profile with filters applied generates unique visitors metric for
the profile. An advanced segment doesn't report unique visitors.

4) Advanced segments rely on sampling to generate some reports that DO
NOT use sampling at a profile level (for example keywords report).
This means that a profile that includes CPC traffic can report more
accurate information on long tail keywords than the advanced segment
that includes CPC traffic.

5) Segments consider a (Condition1 OR Condition2 OR Condition3) AND
(Condition4 OR Condition5) logic. If you want to define a profile to
include filters with this logic is not so easy.

6) Advanced segments support negation matches does not equal, does not
match regex... I'm not sure if this is posible with filters (maybe it
can be done within the regex but I haven't found a way :( )

7) The GUI to define advance segments is soo much friendlier than the
one to define filters!!!!

Cheers,

Andrés

Nick

Sep 3, 2009, 3:55:44 PM9/3/09
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
Ok,

I've opened up a feature request for creating new advanced segments
dynamically through the API here :
http://code.google.com/p/gdata-issues/issues/detail?id=1434&colspec=API%20ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Stars%20Summary

Feel free to add more use cases in the comments section so we can get
this further prioritized.
-Nick