Follow-Ups and multiple groups?

Merciadri Luca

May 7, 2010, 12:03:52 PM5/7/10

Adam Sjøgren

May 7, 2010, 2:12:41 PM5/7/10
On Fri, 07 May 2010 18:03:52 +0200, Merciadri wrote:

> I then use `Newsgroups: ' and type `hiearchy.group1,hiearchy.group2'

> * Why is Gnus repeatedly asking me if there are any follow-ups to my
> * message? What are these?

Gnus is asking you what group to put in the Followup-To header, which
allows you to indicate in which of the groups you are posting to the
discussion (any followups) should be directed to.

Crossposting is often not a good idea.

> * Is my way to specify the different posting groups (i.e. with a
> * comma) correct? When trying to post to multiple groups, it never
> * works, but when I use only one group, it works. Why?

What do you mean "it never works"? Descrive what happens...

Best regards,

Adam

--
"we push onward. to you, it is 2005, to us, it is Adam Sj�gren
2011. we are always far ahead." as...@koldfront.dk

Adam Sjøgren

May 7, 2010, 2:18:43 PM5/7/10
On Fri, 07 May 2010 20:12:41 +0200, Adam wrote:

> What do you mean "it never works"? Descrive what happens...

^

My followup to your article was crossposted to gnu.emacs.gnus and the
Danish test-group dk.test, as you can see here:

* http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/msg/be80a18eb8f60975
* http://groups.google.com/group/dk.test/msg/be80a18eb8f60975

Merciadri Luca

May 7, 2010, 5:20:16 PM5/7/10

Merciadri Luca

May 7, 2010, 5:20:29 PM5/7/10

Adam Sjøgren

May 7, 2010, 5:45:38 PM5/7/10
On Fri, 07 May 2010 23:20:16 +0200, Merciadri wrote:

> Okay. But giving nothing for followups should not prevent Gnus from
> sending the article to the precited groups, should it?

Correct.

>> What do you mean "it never works"? Descrive what happens...

> What happens is simple: an article (/thread) is never created in any
> of the two groups that I specified in `Newsgroups'.

Do you get any error messages? Perhaps the administrator of the
news-server you use do not like crossposts.

> Why? Thanks.

Hard to tell without any information from you about what happens.

You could try ngrep and see if you can learn something by looking at the
interaction with the news-server. NNTP is quite straight-forward.

Merciadri Luca

May 8, 2010, 9:12:41 AM5/8/10

Merciadri Luca

May 8, 2010, 9:16:13 AM5/8/10

Merciadri Luca

May 8, 2010, 9:16:53 AM5/8/10

Merciadri Luca

May 8, 2010, 9:20:48 AM5/8/10
###
T 130.225.254.104:119 -> 192.168.0.101:55801 [AP]
240 <87k4reb...@merciadriluca-station.MERCIADRILUCA> Article posted..
#^Cexit
9 received, 0 dropped
==

I am still unable to say why it does not work for the two groups given
in the OP. It might be because they both exist, but would it be that?
I do not want to try with known groups (such as linux.debian.user,
etc.), because it would pollute the group!

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together
in the same direction. (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

Merciadri Luca

May 8, 2010, 9:24:55 AM5/8/10

Adam Sjøgren

May 8, 2010, 9:52:05 AM5/8/10
On Sat, 08 May 2010 15:16:13 +0200, Merciadri wrote:

> This is a test. Should be sent to dk.test too.

Please don't use this group for testing. Thanks.

Adam Sjøgren

May 8, 2010, 9:59:19 AM5/8/10
On Sat, 08 May 2010 15:20:48 +0200, Merciadri wrote:

> I am still unable to say why it does not work for the two groups given
> in the OP.

What groups was that?

In the original article you wrote:

"Let's say that I need to post some message on two groups on usenet,
say hierarchy.group1 & hierarchy.group2."

> It might be because they both exist, but would it be that?

That question does not parse for me.

> I do not want to try with known groups (such as linux.debian.user,
> etc.), because it would pollute the group!

But polluting gnu.emacs.gnus is just fine? Hrmpf.

linux.debian.user sounds more like a mailinglist than a usenet group to
me, but since you used made-up group names in the first article, it is
hard to say.

I think it is a fair guess that your problem isn't with Gnus.

Best regards,

Merciadri Luca

May 8, 2010, 4:11:28 PM5/8/10

Sorry Adam for being not precise.

as...@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> On Sat, 08 May 2010 15:20:48 +0200, Merciadri wrote:
>
>> I am still unable to say why it does not work for the two groups given
>> in the OP.
>
> What groups was that?
>
> In the original article you wrote:
>
> "Let's say that I need to post some message on two groups on usenet,
> say hierarchy.group1 & hierarchy.group2."

Sorry, I was sure of having written some real groups. I tested with
linux.debian.user and comp.sys.hp48, together. These are groups which
my Gnus did not post the article to.

>> It might be because they both exist, but would it be that?
>
> That question does not parse for me.

I understand why you did not understand it. I had forgotten the
expression `to my news-gate', i.e. you should have read

==
It might be because they both exist to the news-gate, but would it be that?
==

The combination linux.debian.user + comp.sys.hp48 never works. That
is, each time I try to send an article to both groups, it is sent
nowhere. But I have only observed this behaviour with these two
groups.

>> I do not want to try with known groups (such as linux.debian.user,
>> etc.), because it would pollute the group!
>
> But polluting gnu.emacs.gnus is just fine? Hrmpf.

Not at all. The fact is that adding some `test' message to a
discussion is not really polluting, it even takes place in the
discussion. However, copying an answer of an already-launched
dicussion on another usenet group makes it appear as a new article,
which is clearly polluting. Don't you agree?

> linux.debian.user sounds more like a mailinglist than a usenet group to
> me, but since you used made-up group names in the first article, it is
> hard to say.

Yes, but posting to the ML or posting to the usenet group sends the
message to the other, so that both are synchronized.

> I think it is a fair guess that your problem isn't with Gnus.

You might be thinking this because I was so unprecise that I was
looking incompetent, and that, to my level, Gnus should not be
bugging, and the error would only come from the user, i.e. me. If it
is that, no problem, I understand that I should have been more
precise. If it is not that, what would it be coming from? I have
currently only one set of two groups which do not like to receive the same
article in same time.

Many receive advice; only the wise profit from it.

Adam Sjøgren

May 8, 2010, 4:34:29 PM5/8/10
On Sat, 08 May 2010 22:11:28 +0200, Merciadri wrote:

> Sorry Adam for being not precise.

No worries :-)

> I tested with linux.debian.user and comp.sys.hp48, together.

Both on news.dotsrc.org, or?

> It might be because they both exist to the news-gate, but would it be
> that?

I still don't quite understand what you mean by this. I would expect
that they _both_ _had_ to exist on the news server you use for it to
work.

What is this "news-gate" you mention?

> The combination linux.debian.user + comp.sys.hp48 never works. That
> is, each time I try to send an article to both groups, it is sent
> nowhere. But I have only observed this behaviour with these two
> groups.

It is quite odd that you don't get an error back from the news server, I
think.

> Not at all. The fact is that adding some `test' message to a
> discussion is not really polluting, it even takes place in the
> discussion. However, copying an answer of an already-launched
> dicussion on another usenet group makes it appear as a new article,
> which is clearly polluting. Don't you agree?

Not really, no. I think testing should be done in dedicated test groups
only, regardless of whether you test within a thread or create a new
one.

>> linux.debian.user sounds more like a mailinglist than a usenet group to
>> me, but since you used made-up group names in the first article, it is
>> hard to say.

> Yes, but posting to the ML or posting to the usenet group sends the
> message to the other, so that both are synchronized.

I was about to guess that the software that does this news<->email
gating perhaps discards crossposts, but I would have expected your
missing article to have reached the other newsgroup at least, then.

Given that you can see Gnus deliver the article to the server and the
server doesn't give you an error back, I still think the problem isn't
with Gnus and how you use it.

Best regards,

Adam

--
"Det er jo bare punk, forkl�dt som Bubbers badekar!" Adam Sj�gren
as...@koldfront.dk

Merciadri Luca

May 8, 2010, 5:27:15 PM5/8/10

as...@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> On Sat, 08 May 2010 22:11:28 +0200, Merciadri wrote:
>
>> Sorry Adam for being not precise.
>
> No worries :-)
:-)

>> I tested with linux.debian.user and comp.sys.hp48, together.
>
> Both on news.dotsrc.org, or?
>
>> It might be because they both exist to the news-gate, but would it be
>> that?
>
> I still don't quite understand what you mean by this. I would expect
> that they _both_ _had_ to exist on the news server you use for it to
> work.

They need to exist to be able to receive a message, clearly. But I
firstly thought that if the news-gate received a message to post to at
least two groups, it checked firstly if they existed, and then, if
they were to exist, it posted nothing. If only one were to exist, the
news-gate would then have posted the message to the only one which
exists.

Note that by `existing,' I mean `existing on the news-gate.' Many
well-known Usenet groups are unavailable to my news-gate. Dunno why.

> What is this "news-gate" you mention?

news.sunsite.dk. Sorry, I thought it was written in the headers.

>> The combination linux.debian.user + comp.sys.hp48 never works. That
>> is, each time I try to send an article to both groups, it is sent
>> nowhere. But I have only observed this behaviour with these two
>> groups.
>
> It is quite odd that you don't get an error back from the news server, I
> think.

Yes. And thus, as you say, the problem should not come from then. But
why, then, would posting individually to the two groups, work? I
tested it directly after, and it worked.

>> Not at all. The fact is that adding some `test' message to a
>> discussion is not really polluting, it even takes place in the
>> discussion. However, copying an answer of an already-launched
>> dicussion on another usenet group makes it appear as a new article,
>> which is clearly polluting. Don't you agree?
>
> Not really, no. I think testing should be done in dedicated test groups
> only, regardless of whether you test within a thread or create a new
> one.

I knew no other test group available on my news-gate than dk.test. :-(

>>> linux.debian.user sounds more like a mailinglist than a usenet group to
>>> me, but since you used made-up group names in the first article, it is
>>> hard to say.
>
>> Yes, but posting to the ML or posting to the usenet group sends the
>> message to the other, so that both are synchronized.
>
> I was about to guess that the software that does this news<->email
> gating perhaps discards crossposts, but I would have expected your
> missing article to have reached the other newsgroup at least, then.

Yes, but it was not the case, as you mentioned here, from my previous message.

> Given that you can see Gnus deliver the article to the server and the
> server doesn't give you an error back, I still think the problem isn't
> with Gnus and how you use it.

Ok. Thanks. But that remains an obscure reason for me, then.

Getting something done is an accomplishment; getting something done
right is an achievement.

Merciadri Luca

May 9, 2010, 8:12:08 AM5/9/10

Message has been deleted