[Fwd: The Independent survey on geoengineering (URGENT)]

Stephen Salter

Dec 17, 2008, 12:12:55 PM12/17/08
to geoengineering

The Independent Survey on Geoengineering: should we have a “Plan B”?
The Independent newspaper in London is conducting a major poll of the world’s leading climate scientists to gauge their opinion on geoengineering – the deliberate manipulation of the climate to counteract global warming. Emissions of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere continue to increase at an alarming rate – a one per cent increase per year, faster than even the IPCC’s worst-case scenarios. There are growing concerns that international agreements may not succeed in curbing future CO2 levels to a point that avoids dangerous climate change.

Most experts would agree that is it essential to get a meaningful treaty at Copenhagen next December to reduce carbon emissions: but should there be a “plan B” if this approach looks like failing?

You have been chosen as one of the key scientists involved in climate research whose opinion we would value as a contribution to our survey. Please could you find time to fill in this short questionnaire (attached).

It should take no more than 10 minutes and you will have made a valuable contribution to the wider public debate on climate change. You also have the opportunity of providing a short statement for publication in the newspaper or on our website. But, if you prefer, your contribution can remain completely anonymous although we would need your name and affiliation for compiling our data.

We need to have the survey returned by our DEADLINE of 22 December 2008.

It can be emailed back to this email address: c.g...@independent.co.uk

Thank you for your time.

Chris
Chris Green
Night Reporter
The Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/
http://www.independentonlinesolutions.com/advertisingGuide/
http://www.nla.co.uk/
Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This email and any attached files are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email and any attachments from your system, and do not store, copy or disseminate them or disclose their contents to any other person. Views and opinions expressed in this email or attachments are those of the author and are not necessarily agreed or authorised by Independent News and Media Limited or its associated companies (together 'INM'). INM may monitor emails sent or received for operational or business reasons as permitted by law. INM does not accept any liability for any virus that may be introduced by this email or attachments and you should employ virus-checking software. Use of this or any other email system of INM signifies consent to any interception we might lawfully carry out to prevent abuse of these facilities or for any other lawful purpose.
Independent News and Media Limited is a company in the Independent News & Media group, registered in England and Wales under company number 1908967, whose registered office is at Independent House, 191 Marsh Wall, London E14 9RS, UK. VAT number GB 248 1845 43
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

geoengineering survey.doc

Alvia Gaskill

Dec 18, 2008, 5:35:59 AM12/18/08
to s.sa...@ed.ac.uk, geoengineering
[I've shown my responses. See below. I would guess that the overall
response would be 75% negative, however in terms of supporting
geoengineering research if one polled the IPCC scientists. AG]
Independent House, 191 Marsh Wall, London E14 9RS

Telephone 020 7005 2000

Fax 020 7005 2051

The Independent Survey on Geoengineering: Should we have a “Plan B”?

The question we pose is whether a geoengineering strategy should exist in
parallel to a binding international treaty on carbon cuts. The Royal Society
in London is preparing a report on geoengineering to be published next
summer and is currently gathering evidence on proposals such as aerosols
release and ocean fertilisation. We would very much like you to voice your
opinion on geoengineering for a major article to be published in The
Independent newspaper.

Please could you answer the following four questions as best you can. We
realise that the yes/no format is not ideal but it helps us to gauge whether
there is a consensus of opinion among a peer group of experts. There is room
at the end to provide a short comment for quotation as well, if desired.

1. Are you more, or less optimistic about the prospects of curbing CO2
levels to avoid dangerous climate change now compared to ten years ago when
Kyoto was signed?

More
optimistic………[ ]

Less
optimistic ...…….[ X ]

About
the same………[ ]

2. Are you more, or less optimistic about the ability of the Earth’s climate
system to cope with expected increases in atmospheric carbon levels now
compared with 10 years ago given recent research on potential climate
feedbacks and carbon sinks?

More
optimistic………[ ]

Less
optimistic……….[ X ]

About
the same………[ ]

3. Do you believe that talk of geoengineering is a dangerous distraction and
that on no account should it ever be considered as a viable option even if
carbon dioxide levels continue to rise?

Agree…………………[ ]

Disagree………………[
X]

Don’t
know…………...[ ]

[This is a compound question, although I would expect that most who would
answer yes to the distraction question would also answer yes to the never
consider it an option part as well. AG]

4. Do you agree that we now need a “Plan B” whereby a geoengineering
strategy – research, development and possible implementation – is drawn up
in parallel to a treaty to reduce carbon emissions (subject to international
agreements and a scientific assessment of risk)?

Agree…………………[ X ]

Disagree………………[
]

Don’t
know…………...[ ]

Many thanks for completing this short questionnaire. Please feel free to add
a short comment (no more than 150 words) which explains your position on
geoengineering. Please include your name and institution and let us know
whether you would like your comments to be attributed.

Your name:

Your institution:

Your short comment: (no more than 150 words)

Would you like your comments attributed in a future article? Yes [ ]
No [ ]

Please feel free to pass on this questionnaire to a suitably qualified
colleague involved in climate studies.

Please send you replies to c.g...@independent.co.uk.

Our deadline for replies is 22 December 2008.

Steve Connor

Science Editor

The Independent

Dec 18, 2008, 3:43:18 PM12/18/08
to agas...@nc.rr.com, s.sa...@ed.ac.uk, geoengineering
I've made a surveymonkey of this so please can people fill it in so we
get an idea of the group's views?

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=QyDd_2fy3cpcZvMI5E3DsJGQ_3d_3d