New portage on the horizon.

Piotr Karbowski

Oct 21, 2010, 8:04:13 AM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
portage-2.2_rc93 is available for testing. - Still hardmasked, unmask
and feedback only if you know what you are doing.

Some new features:

* The emerge "world" set now includes separate "selected" and "system"
sets, where the "selected" set includes packages listed in
/var/lib/portage/world.

* Configuration files now support atoms with wildcards inside the
category and package name parts of the atoms.

* The functionality of the autounmask program is emulated by the new
emerge --autounmask option, which outputs required configuration changes
for package.accept_keywords and package.use.

* The new emerge --exclude option allows packages to be excluded from
the dependency resolution. Doing so might result in a fatal error. See
the emerge(1) man page for details.

* Per-package environment variables can be set with the new package.env
configuration file in /etc/portage/. See the portage(5) man page for
details.

* Support for per-package bashrc files in /etc/portage/env. See the
portage(5) man page for details.

* The package.keywords configuration file in /etc/portage/ is now
deprecated. Instead use the package.accept_keywords file which has the
same format and behavior. See the portage(5) man page for details.

* FEATURES="fixlafiles" (enabled by default): Rewrites newly installed
.la files in the same way dev-util/lafilefixer does. Note that this
won't fix your installed .la files.

-- Piotr.

Guy Fontaine

Oct 21, 2010, 8:11:05 AM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great. Good job buddies. What's going on next ? A real Funtoo Portage tree ? :smile:

Guy Fontaine

2010/10/21 Piotr Karbowski <jabbe...@gmail.com>

---
Also be sure to check out:
Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org

Piotr Karbowski

Oct 21, 2010, 8:15:00 AM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
On 10/21/2010 02:11 PM, Guy Fontaine wrote:
> Sounds great. Good job buddies. What's going on next ? A real Funtoo Portage
> tree ?

What you mean by reall funtoo portage tree?

Guy Fontaine

Oct 21, 2010, 8:47:08 AM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

I mean a tree completely independent from Gentoo one.

Regards,

Guy Fontaine

2010/10/21 Piotr Karbowski <jabbe...@gmail.com>

Oleg

Oct 21, 2010, 10:24:38 AM10/21/10
to Funtoo
How is that possible? Still funtoo uses core packages same with gentoo
(some of them are modified, improved). Independent means every single
ebuild for core packages rewritten and that's about ~150, incredibly
hard work for one person to do, i think.

On 21 окт, 18:47, Guy Fontaine <arami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I mean a tree completely independent from Gentoo one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Guy Fontaine

Ryan Harris

Oct 21, 2010, 10:42:58 AM10/21/10
to Funtoo
> I mean a tree completely independent from Gentoo one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Guy Fontaine

Your talking about literally thousands of ebuilds.

One, funtoo doesn't have the man power to do that. Not that their are
a lack of people willing to volunteer but if DR just signed up a bunch
of new devs and funtoo took over managing all the packages, he'd be
back to the same mess he had with gentoo in no time. He posted a while
ago about not wanting to rush things.

Two, there wouldn't even be a point to rewriting most of them as there
wouldn't be anything to change. It would just be more work for no
gain.

I know some people have a serious "anti-gentoo" attitude and that's
fine, it's probably even justified in a lot of cases, but there's
still no point in duplicating their work for no gain just so you can
say it's not from gentoo.

Daniel Robbins

Oct 21, 2010, 10:45:16 AM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Piotr Karbowski <jabbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> portage-2.2_rc93 is available for testing. - Still hardmasked, unmask and
> feedback only if you know what you are doing.

Piotr, thanks for the great summary of new features - I know it really
helps everyone understand what those _rc bumps mean :)

Regards,

Daniel

r...@comcast.net

Oct 21, 2010, 10:51:33 AM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com

Oct 21, 2010, 10:59:13 AM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
LOL! Guy, you are joker. =) Who does need it?..

--
Sergey Zolotorev

Jacob Todd

Oct 21, 2010, 11:32:41 AM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com

What is the point of renamig package.keywords to package.accept_keywords? Why make the name longer? This doesn't seem to fix any 'readability' issues.

Daniel Robbins

Oct 21, 2010, 11:40:04 AM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Jacob Todd <jaket...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the point of renamig package.keywords to package.accept_keywords?
> Why make the name longer? This doesn't seem to fix any 'readability' issues.

Explained in detail here:

http://groups.google.com/group/funtoo-dev/msg/3ca0372dff7ab839

Regards,

Daniel

Daniel Cordero

Oct 21, 2010, 12:01:47 PM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com

It doesn't help when you don't know what changed in the other 92 release candidates.

Daniel Robbins

Oct 21, 2010, 1:03:37 PM10/21/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Daniel Cordero <d...@linux.com> wrote:

> It doesn't help when you don't know what changed in the other 92 release candidates.

I agree; we are trying to document this because I believe users should
be informed of changes to their system's package manager. We have to
do a good deal of digging to get this info.

-Daniel

Jonas Bernoulli

Nov 22, 2010, 10:05:18 AM11/22/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Works without any major problems.

The only minor problem I noticed while building stages using metro is
that it does not support the FEATURE 'safetydance'.

-- Jonas