Correct way to update + package.keywords deprecated ?

Jeremy Allard

Sep 5, 2010, 11:43:43 PM9/5/10
to Funtoo
Hi all,

1) I would just like to know the best, correct and official way to
update in Funtoo. I know that it's a bit
different from portage 2.1. So the way that I update my system is :
emerge -uDa @world .
I read in man page that @system was included in @world so I guessed
that it's not an obligation to put in.
So, is it the correct way to update system with all depencies ?

2) I read on Zac Medico that portage-2.1.9 was released. In the
changelog, it's written that the package.keywords is deprecated and
it's better too use the new package.accept_keywords. What's going on
with that on Funtoo and portage 2.2 ?

Regards,

J.A

Jeremy Allard

Sep 5, 2010, 11:49:51 PM9/5/10
to Funtoo

On Sep 6, 3:43 am, Jeremy Allard <elvis4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) I read on Zac Medico that portage-2.1.9 was released. In the
> changelog, it's written that the package.keywords is deprecated and
> it's better too use the new package.accept_keywords. What's going on
> with that on Funtoo and portage 2.2 ?

If you want the links, there is it : http://blogs.gentoo.org/zmedico/2010/09/04/portage_2-1-9_release

Daniel Robbins

Sep 6, 2010, 12:00:40 AM9/6/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Jeremy Allard <elvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 1) I would just like to know the best, correct and official way to
> update in Funtoo. I know that it's a bit
> different from portage 2.1. So the way that I update my system is :
> emerge -uDa @world .
> I read in man page that @system was included in @world so I guessed
> that it's not an obligation to put in.
> So, is it the correct way to update system with all depencies ?

I always do "emerge -auDN world --jobs=3"

>> 2) I read on Zac Medico that portage-2.1.9 was released. In the
> changelog, it's written that the package.keywords is deprecated and
> it's better too use the new package.accept_keywords. What's going on
> with that on Funtoo and portage 2.2 ?

This change will eventually be hitting funtoo's portage as well, and
I'll try to provide more information to users on the change.

Basically -

/etc/portage had a package.keywords, and there was also
package.keywords files in /usr/portage/profiles/. They worked
differently. This new change renames /etc/portage/package.keywords to
/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords. The file still works the same
way as it did before - just a new name to better describe what it
does. Same syntax. The idea is to give the file a more descriptive
name.

The way the /etc/portage/package.keywords (and now
package.accept_keywords) file worked is that for specific packages, it
tweaks your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. So you can say "I want to use the ~amd64
version of ebuild x". The one in the profile is different and actually
modified the KEYWORDS of the ebuilds, so I the distro maintainer (me,
slashbeast) can say "I want to move ebuild >=sys-apps/x-3.0 to amd64
and x86". We use it to help define the stable branch.

Hope that helps :)

Regards,

Daniel

Jeremy Allard

Sep 6, 2010, 2:08:07 PM9/6/10
to Funtoo

On Sep 6, 4:00 am, Daniel Robbins <drobb...@funtoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Jeremy Allard <elvis4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > 1) I would just like to know the best, correct and official way to
> > update in Funtoo. I know that it's a bit
> > different from portage 2.1. So the way that I update my system is :
> > emerge -uDa @world .
> > I read in man page that @system was included in @world so I guessed
> > that it's not an obligation to put in.
> > So, is it the correct way to update system with all depencies ?
>
> I always do "emerge -auDN world --jobs=3"

Okay, but I read at a lot of places on the web that it was better to
use the @world set for updating when you're with portage 2.2. With
portage 2.1, I know that sets doesn't exist so you cannot use it but
in portage 2.2 does the @world set is same thing as world special
atom ? Thanks in advance for clearing up things for me :-) )

> >> 2) I read on Zac Medico that portage-2.1.9 was released. In the
> > changelog, it's written that the package.keywords is deprecated and
> > it's better too use the new package.accept_keywords. What's going on
> > with that on Funtoo and portage 2.2 ?
>
> This change will eventually be hitting funtoo's portage as well, and
> I'll try to provide more information to users on the change.
>
> Basically -
>
> /etc/portage had a package.keywords, and there was also
> package.keywords files in /usr/portage/profiles/. They worked
> differently. This new change renames /etc/portage/package.keywords to
> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords. The file still works the same
> way as it did before - just a new name to better describe what it
> does. Same syntax. The idea is to give the file a more descriptive
> name.
>
> The way the /etc/portage/package.keywords (and now
> package.accept_keywords) file worked is that for specific packages, it
> tweaks your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. So you can say "I want to use the ~amd64
> version of ebuild x". The one in the profile is different and actually
> modified the KEYWORDS of the ebuilds, so I the distro maintainer (me,
> slashbeast) can say "I want to move ebuild >=sys-apps/x-3.0 to amd64
> and x86". We use it to help define the stable branch.

Oh, I tough they changed the name of the file for a more complicated
reason :-) . Thanks you very much, it's very more clear for this now
and keep the good work with Funtoo, you're amazing !

Regards ,

J.A

Daniel Robbins

Sep 6, 2010, 2:38:51 PM9/6/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 6, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Jeremy Allard wrote:

Okay, but I read at a lot of places on the web that it was better to
use the @world set for updating when you're with portage 2.2. With
portage 2.1, I know that sets doesn't exist so you cannot use it but
in portage 2.2 does the @world set is same thing as world special
atom ? Thanks in advance for clearing up things for me :-) )

My understanding is that "@world" is the new way but is the same as "world".

I think this all started with GLEP 21 which was a proposal to add user-defined package sets. The GLEP was rejected but the result of this GLEP was that package set functionality was added to Portage (and doesn't appear to be documented very well -- or at all?)

I believe the implementation added to portage was to use "@" as the prefix for all package sets. Thus, to make things consistent, "@world" was the new way to refer to the world set. But "world" still works for backwards-compatibility.

Regards,

Daniel

Jeremy Allard

Sep 6, 2010, 7:53:04 PM9/6/10
to Funtoo

> My understanding is that "@world" is the new way but is the same as "world".
>
> I think this all started with GLEP 21 which was a proposal to add user-defined package sets. The GLEP was rejected but the result of this GLEP was that package set functionality was added to Portage (and doesn't appear to be documented very well -- or at all?)
>
> I believe the implementation added to portage was to use "@" as the prefix for all package sets. Thus, to make things consistent, "@world" was the new way to refer to the world set. But "world" still works for backwards-compatibility.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Oh, okay thanks for the information, it's a lot more clear know ! Keep
up the good work Daniel, you're really great !

Regards,

J.A

Jeremy Allard

Sep 6, 2010, 1:20:09 PM9/6/10
to Funtoo

On Sep 6, 4:00 am, Daniel Robbins <drobb...@funtoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Jeremy Allard <elvis4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > 1) I would just like to know the best, correct and official way to
> > update in Funtoo. I know that it's a bit
> > different from portage 2.1. So the way that I update my system is :
> > emerge -uDa @world .
> > I read in man page that @system was included in @world so I guessed
> > that it's not an obligation to put in.
> > So, is it the correct way to update system with all depencies ?
>
> I always do "emerge -auDN world --jobs=3"

----------------
With portage 2.2, I read at a lot of places that the new way to update
our box is using sets. For example, emerge -auDN @world.
Does the world atom does the same thing as the @world set when
updating ?

> >> 2) I read on Zac Medico that portage-2.1.9 was released. In the
> > changelog, it's written that the package.keywords is deprecated and
> > it's better too use the new package.accept_keywords. What's going on
> > with that on Funtoo and portage 2.2 ?
>
> This change will eventually be hitting funtoo's portage as well, and
> I'll try to provide more information to users on the change.
>
> Basically -
>
> /etc/portage had a package.keywords, and there was also
> package.keywords files in /usr/portage/profiles/. They worked
> differently. This new change renames /etc/portage/package.keywords to
> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords. The file still works the same
> way as it did before - just a new name to better describe what it
> does. Same syntax. The idea is to give the file a more descriptive
> name.
>
> The way the /etc/portage/package.keywords (and now
> package.accept_keywords) file worked is that for specific packages, it
> tweaks your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. So you can say "I want to use the ~amd64
> version of ebuild x". The one in the profile is different and actually
> modified the KEYWORDS of the ebuilds, so I the distro maintainer (me,
> slashbeast) can say "I want to move ebuild >=sys-apps/x-3.0 to amd64
> and x86". We use it to help define the stable branch.

----------------
Oh okay thanks for the clear answer, I tought it was for a more
complicated reason then that :-).
Keep up your good work, I really love what you're making with funtoo !

Regards,

J.A

Jeremy Allard

Sep 7, 2010, 11:07:02 PM9/7/10
to Funtoo
Hi,
Please just Forget my last message. I think that there was a bug.
Thanks again for the answer Daniel ! :)

Have a Nice day ,

J.A