cant connect

Woulfghar

Apr 24, 2011, 7:40:19 PM4/24/11
to Klink
Hi,
I bought the full version, intalled the drivers for my droid and
everything required. I try to connect and it shows as connected but
with local access only. I tried a few things posted here and nothing
works. Can u help me?

Kevin Ko

Apr 24, 2011, 8:11:59 PM4/24/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We should be able to get this working, or I'll give you a refund.

Are you using the latest version that I released about three hours ago?  (version 1.07).  That should improve things on some Vista setups by disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP (you can also set this manually by looking in the WINS tab of the Advanced section under the IPv4 properties for the TAP-Win32 connection).  Note that, disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP through Klink seems to require one reboot to take effect the first time on my test computer if it was not previously configured.

Anyway, could you tell me what you've tried so far?  I'll list a few things right off the top of my head:

1) Check to see if Bonjour is a running service, as it is a known troublemaker with Windows and transient Internet connections.

The instructions for that are listed here: http://groups.google.com/group/faveset-klink/msg/051caf6d42d19655

(run services manager and stop + disable Bonjour if you see it)

2) Leave the homegroup on Windows 7 via the Network and Sharing Center.  I don't think this is necessary anymore, but it helped a long time ago.  Instructions are in the FAQ here: http://www.faveset.com/klink/faq#f17

3) Make sure that any other network connections are disabled if you are testing Klink in a location with an existing ethernet/Wifi connection.  Klink must be the only active connection when it is up and run.

4) On a related note (to #3), could you open a command prompt (Start menu and run "cmd") and type in the following:

route print -4

You'll see a print out of 4 columns.  I'd like to know if you have just one line with a "Network Destination" column value of "0.0.0.0".  You only want one.  Any more than that, and things will not work.  We'll have to find and disable the offender in this case.  (For example, Bonjour can create an additional routing entry here, which throws things off.)

Please let me know how things go, and we can move from there.

Kevin

fusion07mp3

Apr 24, 2011, 8:16:00 PM4/24/11
to Klink
I have the same issue...I have a Local connection but no Internet
connection. Using the Demo version I downloaded a couple of hours ago
from the Market on Vista 64. Suggestions?
> > works. Can u help me?- Hide quoted text -

Kevin Ko

Apr 24, 2011, 8:23:26 PM4/24/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
The demo version should always say Local connection.  If you diagnose/troubleshoot the connection, Windows should say that it's fine, and that it just might require passing through a login page.

This happens in the demo, because UDP is blocked and because TCP connections to most non-whitelisted sites are forwarded to the internal demo information page.

There is a slight quirkiness with the demo if your phone's connection is not that good, however.  In those cases, it might require stopping and starting the demo a couple of in order to gain access to the whitelisted sites.  This is an artifact of how the demo works -- but not the full version.  When the demo starts, it resolves the 10 or so whitelisted sites in one big batch.  Sometimes that resolution process fails to complete, and as a result, everything points to the demo page.  It's only showed up on one of my phones, and clears up on the second try at that, so it's been a bit more difficult to hunt down.

This doesn't affect the paid version, since the paid version properly forwards TCP and UDP traffic as it happens.

Kevin

fusion07mp3

Apr 25, 2011, 5:16:41 AM4/25/11
to Klink
I'll try the stop/restart again on the demo, but my connection showed
up as totally unable to access the Web at all...it never got to the
whitelisted pages or the demo page, and I did troubleshoot/diagnose it
without success...I kept getting back "issues with your network
provider" errors. The phone I'm using is a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus
V. I downloaded the LG driver set from your support page, which is
the most recent one, I believe, but Vista 64 didn't like the ADB
portion of that driver and wouldn't install it. I had an older 2.1
series driver pack from LG specifically for the V with more drivers,
and used that to resolve the ADB issue. I have used this phone with
EasyTether and PDANet on Vista 32 and XP systems without issue to this
point, but had not installed anything for tethering on the Vista 64
system prior.

On Apr 24, 8:23 pm, Kevin Ko <ke...@faveset.com> wrote:
> The demo version should always say Local connection.  If you
> diagnose/troubleshoot the connection, Windows should say that it's fine, and
> that it just might require passing through a login page.
>
> This happens in the demo, because UDP is blocked and because TCP connections
> to most non-whitelisted sites are forwarded to the internal demo information
> page.
>
> There is a slight quirkiness with the demo if your phone's connection is not
> that good, however.  In those cases, it might require stopping and starting
> the demo a couple of in order to gain access to the whitelisted sites.  This
> is an artifact of how the demo works -- but not the full version.  When the
> demo starts, it resolves the 10 or so whitelisted sites in one big batch.
>  Sometimes that resolution process fails to complete, and as a result,
> everything points to the demo page.  It's only showed up on one of my
> phones, and clears up on the second try at that, so it's been a bit more
> difficult to hunt down.
>
> This doesn't affect the paid version, since the paid version properly
> forwards TCP and UDP traffic as it happens.
>
> Kevin

Woulfghar

Apr 25, 2011, 9:47:37 AM4/25/11
to Klink
Hi,
Thanks for replying. I'm not that computer knowledgeable but ill try
what you suggest. I have regular vista 32. I'm at work right know but
I'll give it a try at home later this evening. Thanks!

Woulfghar

Apr 25, 2011, 9:49:11 AM4/25/11
to Klink

Oh, and yes, I do have the latest version of your app. Thanks!

Kevin Ko

Apr 25, 2011, 10:21:13 AM4/25/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hi, fusion07mp3.

Ok.  Thanks for being very informative about what you've tried!

Could you tell me the IP address and gateway associated with Klink's connection when it is active?  (Go to network connections manager from the Control Panel or by running "ncpa.cpl".   Then right-click on the connection with the TAP-Win32 adapter, and choose "Status".)  My guess is that it's fine, but I'd just like to be safe.  You should expect to see:

IP: 10.0.0.2 (the last number can vary depending on circumstances)
Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Could you then check out the steps that I listed in the first reply to this group thread?  3 (turning off other active network connections) and 4 (checking that there is only one 0.0.0.0 routing entry) are the most relevant, since this sounds like a routing issue.  The demo's information page is hosted on the phone itself, so you should always be able to access it if your computer is properly connected to Klink.

You can also verify the connection by trying to ping 10.0.0.1 from a Command Prompt (Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, or run "cmd").  Type

ping 10.0.0.1

and you should see something like:

Pinging 10.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=255
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=255
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.1:

You should not see any timeouts.

Kevin

Woulfghar

Apr 25, 2011, 5:52:58 PM4/25/11
to Klink
Thanks,
I just installewd pdanet and it seem to work right away so I think
I'll use that as I don't really know well how to do everything you are
asking me so I can fix it. Thank you very much though for being so
informative.

Kevin Ko

Apr 25, 2011, 5:59:21 PM4/25/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm continually trying to track down the cause for these local-connection only problems on Windows, so things should get better in future updates.  I've actually gotten everything to the point where it's very hard for me to replicate the issue on my test systems, so I believe that things work for most people.  (Technically speaking, Pdanet and Klink should use very similar mechanisms, so if one works, the other should work, too.)

If you could privately send me the full name on your checkout order, I'll issue you a refund, unless you'd rather wait to see if a future update resolves things.

Kevin

fusion07mp3

Apr 25, 2011, 8:35:02 PM4/25/11
to Klink
IP and Gateway are correct as listed in your post. Other connections
had already been turned off. There is only one 0.0.0.0 line.
However, the connection will not ping...it times out.

Woulfghar

Apr 25, 2011, 9:20:45 PM4/25/11
to Klink
I have no problem waiting to see if you can fix it. If you do, please
let me know at woul...@yahoo.com.
Thank you again! ;)

Kevin Ko

Apr 25, 2011, 11:21:29 PM4/25/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hi, fusion07mp3.

OK.  Thanks for clearing up all of that.  I'm trying to emulate this on my Vista box right now, and I think I got it to happen, so I'll get back to you shortly after I look at what's going on.

Kevin

fusion07mp3

Apr 25, 2011, 11:38:19 PM4/25/11
to Klink
As an FYI...I installed the PC drivers for EasyTether, and got that to
work.

Kevin Ko

Apr 26, 2011, 2:03:45 AM4/26/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hi, fusion07mp3.

It turns out that I haven't been able to replicate the problem on either my 32-bit Vista or a fresh 64-bit Vista setup.  I was mistaken when I thought that I had replicated things, but that was ultimately a user-error on my part.

Really quickly, could you open your task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), click the "Processes" tab, and tell me if you see something called mDNSResponder.exe?  That is another name for the Bonjour service, which can be problematic.  It's true that we can disable mDNSResponder if it's active, but I'd like to replicate your problem to see if I can find out why the traffic rules in the app are confusing Windows.  I have an idea, but it's just conjecture for now.  Common software that installs Bonjour include: "software by Apple such as iTunes, software by Adobe such as Premiere Pro, Skype, Gizmo"

Discussion on mDNSResponder/Bonjour:

Thanks very much for all of the help!

Kevin

fusion07mp3

Apr 26, 2011, 5:14:45 AM4/26/11
to Klink
Negative, I don't run any of those programs/processes, and I
specifically do not install Bonjour when I install Safari, which is
the one program I do run which offers it as an option.

On Apr 26, 2:03 am, Kevin Ko <ke...@faveset.com> wrote:
> Hi, fusion07mp3....
>
> read more »
>
> It turns out that I haven't been able to replicate the problem on either my
> 32-bit Vista or a fresh 64-bit Vista setup.  I was mistaken when I thought
> that I had replicated things, but that was ultimately a user-error on my
> part.
>
> Really quickly, could you open your task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), click the
> "Processes" tab, and tell me if you see something called mDNSResponder.exe?
>  That is another name for the Bonjour service, which can be problematic.
>  It's true that we can disable mDNSResponder if it's active, but I'd like to
> replicate your problem to see if I can find out why the traffic rules in the
> app are confusing Windows.  I have an idea, but it's just conjecture for
> now.  Common software that installs Bonjour include: "software by Apple such
> as iTunes, software by Adobe such as Premiere Pro, Skype, Gizmo"
>
> Discussion on mDNSResponder/Bonjour:
>
> http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/02/10/how-to-uninstall-or-re...
>
> http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/34717-no-internet-access-b...
>
> Thanks very much for all of the help!
>
> <http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/34717-no-internet-access-b...>

Kevin Ko

Apr 26, 2011, 6:37:07 PM4/26/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hi, again.

Ok.  Thanks for all the clarity.  It's really been helpful.

After some examination of packet data, I believe that I've discovered what I need to fix in order to put this internet connectivity check to rest once and for all.  I'm going to work on an update to the Klink app, and I'll post a note here when it's ready.

Kevin

SL33PY

Apr 27, 2011, 2:37:51 AM4/27/11
to Klink
Hey i enabled internet sharing on my computer but my ps3 still cant
recognize my phones internet

Kevin Ko

Apr 27, 2011, 2:48:10 AM4/27/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hey, again.

I'll look into that after I finish up this next update to fix the No Internet Access problem.  If all goes well, I'll get to replicating your ICS problem within 24 hours.

I don't see why ICS should not work, but if I can't fix things or if you'd rather not wait, I'll give you a refund, since I recall that you were inquiring about it from the beginning.

Kevin

SL33PY

Apr 27, 2011, 2:58:30 AM4/27/11
to Klink
dont worry about the refund klink works great. it would just be a real
cool feature to be able to play online with it. Im running windows xp
service pack 3 win x32.

On Apr 27, 2:48 am, Kevin Ko <ke...@faveset.com> wrote:
> Hey, again.
>
> I'll look into that after I finish up this next update to fix the No
> Internet Access problem.  If all goes well, I'll get to replicating your ICS
> problem within 24 hours.
>
> I don't see why ICS should not work, but if I can't fix things or if you'd
> rather not wait, I'll give you a refund, since I recall that you were
> inquiring about it from the beginning.
>
> Kevin

Kevin Ko

Apr 28, 2011, 2:39:34 AM4/28/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hi, again.

I haven't yet gotten to examining ICS, because I'm putting out a fire (bug) that is affecting one person.

As soon as I take care of that, you'll see a new version of Klink on the market (1.09).  That version will improve Windows compatibility and reduce the occurrence of the dreaded No Internet Access error for the few who still suffer from it.  Even if that error hasn't affected you, you'll probably want to update, since the new version emulates the behavior of a couple of hosts on the internet that are periodically contacted by Windows; this keeps such traffic from ever getting onto the Internet in the first place and wastefully using one's data.  (This emulation is entirely optional and is configurable through Klink's settings menu.)

After you see the new version, know that I'll be working on getting ICS up and working for you.  That said, I don't see why ICS should take long to fix... *fingers xed* :)

Kevin

Kevin Ko

Apr 29, 2011, 7:55:11 PM4/29/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
A new version 1.09 of the app is out on the Market.

After emulating one of the internet access check services on the phone directly, I've found it much harder to come across the "No Internet Access" error.  With my test setup consisting of XP, Vista (32/64-bit), and 7 (32/64-bit) and Klink's network type set to "Public", a clean restart with other active Internet connections disabled has so far resulted in successful Internet reporting by Windows.

In my testing, I've noticed that Vista is slightly less robust than 7.  If I change from using the old version of the Klink app to the new one, an existing No Internet warning will stick around for some time (along with one or two other settings like NetBIOS over TCP/IP).  A reboot clears this up right away and keeps things happy thereafter.

On Windows 7, everything is fine on my test setups when the network is set to "Public" type; though, Win7 64-bit sometimes acts up when the "Homegroup" setting is enabled.  Evidently, some issue during the Homegroup's auto-configuration process still causes Windows to think that Klink's network should be blocked off.  For the most part, the "Public" network type takes care of this.  Otherwise, further disabling Homegroups seems to make things happy.

Kevin

Kevin Ko

May 1, 2011, 1:40:11 PM5/1/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hi, SL3PPY.

I don't own a game console to test out Internet Connection Sharing, but I did check out ICS on XP and Win7 to test compatibility.  That works at a computer to computer level.

This is what I did under Windows 7.  (XP is basically the same, so I assume Vista is similar as well.)

Kevin

=====

Windows 7:

- Start a Klink connection with the phone.
- Open the "Network Connections" window (by running "ncpa.cpl" from the Start menu)
- Right click on Klink's network adapter (TAP-Win32 Adapter V9), and choose "Properties"
- Click the "Sharing" tab at the top of the properties window
- Check the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".  Then, under that item's "Home networking connection" selection box, I chose the ethernet adapter connected to my home network's router/switch.
  * NOTE: A computer's wifi adapter could be chosen instead.  Don't forget to add a security key.
  * NOTE: if using a home wireless router, you could connect things directly into the "WAN" port of the router.
- I didn't touch any of the advanced ICS settings (the "Settings" button).

After OKing out, I could connect my laptop to the ethernet network, and it would grab a new private IP address.  Gateway and DNS settings were properly assigned by the Windows 7 host.

====

Instructions on setting a WiFi security key for an Ad-Hoc network:

Right click on the WiFi connection, and choose Properties.

Then, you should see a section or tab related to "Wireless Networks".  Go there.

Look for the name of your shared wireless network.  Highlight it, and choose "Properties".

Within the properties menu, you should be able to set the "Data encryption" type (WPA or WPA2 is preferred if you have Vista/7; XP might only support WEP) and assign a password.

After that, your other computers should probably ask for a password the next time they connect to the shared wireless network.

===

On OS X machine, you might find this link helpful:

fusion07mp3

May 1, 2011, 4:45:53 PM5/1/11
to Klink
As an FYI...I updated to the latest version of the Klink Demo, but am
still getting the same response where I cannot connect to the Web.
All other connection means were disabled (again) and the issue remains
on my Vista 64 laptop.
> http://lifehacker.com/#!283088/share-your-macs-internet-connection-wi...
>
> If you have a Windows machine, you might find these links for configuring
> Windows Internet Connection Sharing helpful:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS
> -Internet-Connection-Sharing

Kevin Ko

May 1, 2011, 5:09:23 PM5/1/11
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hi, fusion07mp3.

I actually found the source for the problem while hunting things Friday night with a packet sniffer (Wireshark).  I'll get around to a proper Klink fix shortly after I fix up some other matters, but the problem has to do with the multicast traffic bursts that Windows Vista and 7 send when "discovering" the local network when the connection starts.

You can prevent the traffic from being sent in the first place by following the instructions at the end of this message (which are also now listed in the FAQ and help guide).  This matter actually surprises me, because Klink has no problems handling 100+ Bittorrent peers and UDP-based gaming under stress tests.  However, now that I have the actual traffic patterns that cause the problem, I should be able to fix things.

Kevin

Please turn off and disable the Windows SSDP service. Then, disable IPv6 support on Klink's network connection. Certain phones seem to exhibit incompatibilities when these two features are enabled.

Disabling SSDP:

  • Go to the Windows Start button and run "services.msc"
  • A Services window should pop up. Scroll down, and you should find "SSDP Discovery"
  • Right click on "SSDP Discovery", and choose "Properties".
  • Hit the "Stop" button if possible. Then, under "Startup type", choose "Disabled".
  • Choose "Okay" to close the window and save the changes.

Disabling IPv6:

  • Then from Windows Start, run "ncpa.cpl".
  • A "Network Connections" window should pop up.
  • Look for Klink's connection, which is identified by the network adapter named something like "TAP-Win32 Adapter V9". When Klink is active, the adapter's description will change from "unplugged" to a connected state.
  • Right click on Klink's connection, and choose "Properties".
  • Uncheck the box that says "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)". IMPORTANT: Be sure to unmark only Version 6, as Klink needs Version 4 marked in order to function!
  • Click "OK" to close the window and save the changes.