Mono County Big Day: 151 species!

Justin Hite

Jul 14, 2011, 2:59:39 AM7/14/11
to easternsierrabirds
We've been talking about doing a Big Day in Mono County all summer.  We hadn't done any real scouting, so yesterday was supposed to just be a trial run and we were hoping to maybe get close to the previous Mono County record of 135.

We birded from 3am to 11pm.  We (the we being Nora Livingston, Oliver James, Chris McCreedy and myself) started at Fish Slough, then trekked through Chalfant, Benton, the Benton Range, Black Lake, Wild Rose Canyon, Crowley, the road to Minaret Summit, the Mammoth Lakes Scenic Loop, the June Lake burn, Lee Vining Canyon, the Warbler Thicket, Virginia Lakes, Bridgeport Reservoir, Twin Lakes, Warford Spring, DeChambeau Ponds and County Park.

It's hard to sit here and try and think of highlights because there were just so many.  Our first bird was a Short-eared Owl and our last was a Long-eared.  Blue Grosbeaks and Le Conte's Thrashers were keeping things spicy in Fish Slough.  A male Ring-necked Pheasant was trying to hide in short grass at the White Mountain Ranch. Golden Eagle standing like a lazy tyrant on a pile of boulders in the Tablelands. Gorgeous female Red-necked Phalarope slumming with Least Sandpipers at Black Lake.  Red-naped Sapsucker paired with Red-breasted at Wild Rose, where we also got beautiful looks at a Virginia's Warbler, the cocky crest of a Juniper Titmouse and the gorget of a Calliope.  Sage Grouse hanging out with a Willet on the shore of Crowley, where we also had a scruffy looking Common Loon and a distant flying Black Tern.  A spectacular moment in the forest a little below Minaret Summit with a tame Pine Grosbeak and both species of Kinglets singing like the world was about to end. Red Crossbill pair drinking from a creek on the scenic loop...Chris wondered if they drink sideways.  We tied the old record with Lazuli Bunging and broke it with Indigo Bunting at the Warbler Thicket.  Flyover Rosy Finch at Virginia Lake, which is also where halfway through wondering aloud if there were Bighorn Sheep on the talus slopes I interrupted myself to shout "Bighorn on the talus!"  Three Sandhill Cranes, a pair and a single, wandering around the south shore of Bridgeport. Our final daytime bird was Common Mergansers at Twin Lakes that waited in hiding until we were deciding to leave, then popped out to wish us good riddance.  And we were a bit worried when a Sheriff with lights flashing pulled up behind us outside the Conway Ranch Fish Hatchery gate wondering what kind of misdeeds we were committing, and after laughing at our explanation suggested a better spot for owls at Warford Spring.  So we went out there and were greeted by the adorable peeping of a Long-eared Owl fledgling the moment we stepped out of the car.

Below is the complete list.  We all saw new county birds and there were even a few life birds in there.  I added a note to birds if they were a life or county bird (CB) for any of the crew.

Common Loon
Eared Grebe
Pied-billed Grebe
Western Grebe
Clark’s Grebe (CB Chris)
American White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White-faced Ibis
Canada Goose
Mallard
Gadwall
Northern Pintail
American Wigeon
Northern Shoveler
Cinnamon Teal
Green-winged Teal
Redhead (CB Nora)
Ring-necked Duck
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Turkey Vulture
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Swainson's Hawk
Golden Eagle (CB Nora)
Osprey
American Kestrel
Prairie Falcon
Greater Sage-grouse
California Quail
Ring-necked Pheasant (CB Nora, Justin, Chris, Oliver)
American Coot
Virginia Rail (CB Nora)
Sandhill Crane (CB Chris)
Killdeer
American Avocet
Greater Yellowlegs
Spotted Sandpiper
Willet
Long-billed Curlew
Least Sandpiper
Wilson’s Snipe
Wilson’s Phalarope
Red-necked Phalarope
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull
Caspian Tern
Black Tern
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Rock Pigeon
Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl (CB Nora)
Great Horned Owl
Common Nighthawk
Common Poorwill
Costa’s Hummingbird
Calliope Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Lewis's Woodpecker
Red-naped Sapsucker
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Williamson's Sapsucker
Hairy Woodpecker
Black-backed Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Western Wood-Pewee
Dusky Flycatcher
Gray Flycatcher
Say’s Phoebe
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Loggerhead Shrike
Plumbeous Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Steller’s Jay
Western Scrub Jay
Pinyon Jay
Clark’s Nutcracker
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow (CB Nora)
Common Raven
Horned Lark
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Juniper Titmouse
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Bewick’s Wren
House Wren
Marsh Wren
Rock Wren
American Dipper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Townsend’s Solitaire
Mountain Bluebird
American Robin
Hermit Thrush
Northern Mockingbird (CB Nora)
LeConte's Thrasher (life Nora, CB Justin, Oliver)
Sage Thrasher
European Starling
Orange-crowned Warbler
Virginia's Warbler