Wetland Learners Status Report

Alison Reber

Jan 16, 2008, 1:21:47 PM1/16/08
to dragonf...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sandy Sanders <sandys...@sunflower.com>
Date: Jan 15, 2008 11:22 PM
Subject: Fw: Status Report
To: Alison Reber <ali...@streamlink.org>, Chuck Herman <hermans...@earthlink.net >, Rex Powell <meteori...@msn.com>, Anna Busby <abu...@usd497.org>, Bill Busby <wbu...@ku.edu >

Dear colleagues in this adventure,
Attached are the status report and other documents that have been sent to the Douglas County Community Fund that administers the Elizabeth Schultz Environmental Fund.  Although a status report wasn't requested or required, it seemed appropriate to provide when the DCCF accepted our request for an extension of the end of the funding cycle from November 2007 to June 2008, primarily as a result of many teachers wanting field trips in spring rather than fall.  If you have any questions about the attached information, please don't hesitate to contact me.  Alison is working hard to find funding for the project to continue.  If anyone has ideas for funding sources, please let her or me know.  Thanks for your part in getting this very worthwhile effort to the level of success it's already attained.

Sandy

--
Kaw Valley Heritage Alliance
http://www.kvha.org

Keep Up with KVHA at Dragonfly County
http://www.dragonflycounty.info

Statistics to date for trips in Fall 2006, Fall 2007 & Spring 2008.doc
Status report 10-07 v8.doc
Status Report Cover Letter Updated 1-2008.doc
Detailed list of activities and who's facilitated them v5 - no statistics.doc

Alison Reber

Jan 22, 2008, 4:59:30 PM1/22/08
to Scouffas, Anthea, dragonf...@googlegroups.com
Anthea,

Just a few thoughts -
  • The monarch peak in Kansas is mid to late September - depending on the year.   The population has been on a pretty rapid decline for the last 10 years.
*Rebecca Foster (one of the Wetland Learners Interns) also works at Monarch Watch.  (field trip pix)

*Depending on your landscaping, it seems within the realm of possible for the Lied Center to be designated a Monarch Waystation.  Among other things, you can get a cool weather proof sign.
  • Douglas County is the population hub for the Regal Fritillary butterfly (a "vulnerable species").
*Art for the Sky Project at CJH last fall - the Grassland Heritage Foundation helped pull this off http://www.flickr.com/photos/flower_alice/sets/72157603016700936

*Rex Powell's son, Alexis, co-authored a research paper on R.F. with Bill Busby & Kelly Kindscher (Kansas Natural Heritage Inventory & Kansas Biological Survey)  http://www.springerlink.com/content/u0582428h6693344/fulltext.pdf

That's all for now :)  Thanks!! -Alison

On Jan 22, 2008 8:59 AM, Scouffas, Anthea <ant...@ku.edu> wrote:
alison-

when is the monarch migration peak in kansas?

we will begin to write that grant soon. let me check with our grant manager and get back to you on this.

2nd grade is good for caterpillar. we will promote it to k-3 (1st and 2nd being primary target age).

anthea