DIYHPL.us Spam

CoryG

May 9, 2011, 1:31:19 PM5/9/11
to DIYbio
Bryan you got me spammed - apparently you own diyhpl.us (sent to
"undisclosed-recipients and says Bryan Bishop on the whois entry -
please disguise emails wherever they happen to be posted on there):

Hello My Dear,
My name is miss Linda, i am 24 years old, i got your profile and your
email address at (diyhpl.us) while i was searching for a friend and
became interested in you. The most important thing in life is love and
healthy, strong FRIENDSHIP and RELATIONSHIP. That's the thing i desire
most. Nothing in life can change it, neither money or anything else. I
am an ordinary girl with a big and lonely heart. I want my FRIEND to
be sensitive, caring, attentive and understanding. And after reading
your profile, i decided to contact you for a very important purpose. I
hope you wouldn't mind? because so many people misunderstand this life
but i know it to be a race which can only be won with combined efforts
of two people especially a man and a lovely woman. i will also like to
know more about you. I want you to reply me so i can send you my
picture for you to know whom l am. i believe we can move from here and
make something good out of our lives. I am waiting for your response.
(Remember that distance or color does not matter but love, sincere and
honest matters a lot in life) have a nice day.

Nathan McCorkle

May 9, 2011, 1:36:40 PM5/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I think I also got this in my spam folder today... didn't read closely
but I remember seeing the FRIENDSHIP and RELATIONSHIP in bold caps
while getting ready to remove spam.

Unfortunately gmail deletes spam forever and I can't verify... :(

> --

Nathan McCorkle
Rochester Institute of Technology
College of Science, Biotechnology/Bioinformatics

Bryan Bishop

May 9, 2011, 1:43:25 PM5/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM, CoryG <co...@geesaman.com> wrote:
Bryan you got me spammed - apparently you own diyhpl.us (sent to

Cory, can you send me the full email (with headers) so I can investigate from this end?

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Nathan McCorkle

May 9, 2011, 1:45:14 PM5/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
i just confirmed, as I got another spam

CoryG

May 9, 2011, 1:46:21 PM5/9/11
to DIYbio
> Cory, can you send me the full email (with headers) so I can investigate
> from this end?

Done - might end up in you're spam folder (1and1 is a crappy web host
I've been meaning to change for a bit - they lend their MX servers to
a lot of spammers).

CoryG

May 9, 2011, 1:52:42 PM5/9/11
to DIYbio
Looks like it might be coming from http://o-bio.org/ - only place
other than Google Groups that shows up when I search Google for my
username and diyhpl - might just be a poorly coded spam bot trying to
link emails off nearby info in a page.

CoryG

May 9, 2011, 1:56:59 PM5/9/11
to DIYbio
> Looks like it might be coming fromhttp://o-bio.org/- only place
> other than Google Groups that shows up when I search Google for my
> username and diyhpl - might just be a poorly coded spam bot trying to
> link emails off nearby info in a page.

Nevermind, probably from the meetlog link you sent me via email and
not the mirrored DIYbio stuff. Not sure how a bot even found that
link but please obfuscate the emails a bit.

Bryan Bishop

May 9, 2011, 1:54:12 PM5/9/11
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Bryan Bishop <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cory, can you send me the full email (with headers) so I can investigate from this end?

After looking at the headers, it's evident that the spam is not being sent from my server. Thanks for looking out though :-).

J. S. John

May 9, 2011, 6:30:45 PM5/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
recently, I noticed an increased amount in my spam folder( about 3 or
4 a day) while I never used to see that stuff. Could it be that those
forums that were set up are causing this problem? If so, can we shut
it down? I don't think anyone uses it except spambots.

CoryG

May 9, 2011, 7:20:00 PM5/9/11
to DIYbio
> After looking at the headers, it's evident that the spam is not being sent
> from my server. Thanks for looking out though :-).

I didn't suggest it was from you're server (thats evident in the From:
line alone) - it's because you have text files on the web with our
email addresses on them without any form of disguise - doing the
Google ema....ress.com thing would work or just replacing the @ and .
with AT and DOT respectively (would take like 5 seconds with a grep
statement).

> recently, I noticed an increased amount in my spam folder( about 3 or
> 4 a day) while I never used to see that stuff. Could it be that those
> forums that were set up are causing this problem? If so, can we shut
> it down? I don't think anyone uses it except spambots.

I agree, they probably are driving up spam since phpBB is a bot magnet
itself - but I think the person running o-bio.org is a spammer/scammer
themselves since their just mirroring a Google Group to seed content
and probably holding out hope someone will use the site (unless of
course I'm wrong and this is some kind of official logging mechanism,
though if thats the case I'd expect to see it on diybio.org or
something so I'm guessing a scammer).

Nathan McCorkle

May 9, 2011, 7:39:14 PM5/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM, CoryG <co...@geesaman.com> wrote:
>> After looking at the headers, it's evident that the spam is not being sent
>> from my server. Thanks for looking out though :-).
>
> I didn't suggest it was from you're server (thats evident in the From:
> line alone) - it's because you have text files on the web with our
> email addresses on them without any form of disguise - doing the
> Google ema....ress.com thing would work or just replacing the @ and .
> with AT and DOT respectively (would take like 5 seconds with a grep
> statement).

depending on the content and specific search and replace, changing @
and . automatically could lead to garbage content in some places

>> recently, I noticed an increased amount in my spam folder( about 3 or
>> 4 a day) while I never used to see that stuff. Could it be that those
>> forums that were set up are causing this problem? If so, can we shut
>> it down? I don't think anyone uses it except spambots.
>
> I agree, they probably are driving up spam since phpBB is a bot magnet
> itself - but I think the person running o-bio.org is a spammer/scammer
> themselves since their just mirroring a Google Group to seed content
> and probably holding out hope someone will use the site (unless of
> course I'm wrong and this is some kind of official logging mechanism,
> though if thats the case I'd expect to see it on diybio.org or
> something so I'm guessing a scammer).

o-bio is not a scam/spam... it was setup by someone here on the list
when there was a bunch of complaining about netiquette that has since
been calmed/corrected for the most part (i began writing this
paragraph above the quoted text, rather than inline like it is now...
which is the "proper" way to do it). It was setup because some people
didn't like the google groups interface or the mail list interface....
but it seems that in the end no one really cares, or as google wants
us to believe, that their software is superior than any others. I
really just like that my email is always open anyway... therefore I'm
pretty much always on the DIYbio list.

Bryan Bishop

May 9, 2011, 7:43:37 PM5/9/11
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:20 PM, CoryG <co...@geesaman.com> wrote:
I agree, they probably are driving up spam since phpBB is a bot magnet
itself - but I think the person running o-bio.org is a spammer/scammer
themselves since their just mirroring a Google Group to seed content
and probably holding out hope someone will use the site (unless of
course I'm wrong and this is some kind of official logging mechanism,

Cory, yes- you're wrong, and I've also suggested the same to you before:

I don't know why I bother.

CoryG

May 9, 2011, 9:07:07 PM5/9/11
to DIYbio
> I don't know why I bother.

Could you fix this?
http://diyhpl.us/cgit/meetlog/plain/meetlog.txt

Since a spammer did specifically cite you're site as the source of the
email address, you're kinda doing a disservice to everyone on there,
proven by the fact others have received the spam.

Bryan Bishop

May 9, 2011, 10:08:20 PM5/9/11
n Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:07 PM, CoryG <co...@geesaman.com> wrote:
Could you fix this?
http://diyhpl.us/cgit/meetlog/plain/meetlog.txt

You can apply a patch to it yourself if you want.

CoryG

May 10, 2011, 9:18:14 AM5/10/11
to DIYbio
> You can apply a patch to it yourself if you want.
>
> git://diyhpl.us/meetlog.git

If I have to fix you're screwup that is getting me spammed and I don't
care for on the web to begin with I'm deleting the entire repository.

Cathal Garvey

May 10, 2011, 10:44:53 AM5/10/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com

I'm wondering why this spam-spat is being conducted over a public list? /:)

Sent from my Phone
www.twitter.com/onetruecathal
www.indiebiotech.com

To po...

Nathan McCorkle

May 10, 2011, 8:10:45 PM5/10/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
If he can apply a patch, can't a spammer just revert?