Mega super site

Kefengarahall

Feb 18, 2011, 12:33:33 AM2/18/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Mega site. I will go often.
Posted from O-Bio.org/forums/ for all display features please visit:
http://o-bio.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4233&p=21139#p21139

Forrest Flanagan

Feb 18, 2011, 4:49:46 PM2/18/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
How nonspecific.

CoryG

Feb 19, 2011, 11:36:05 AM2/19/11
to DIYbio
I for one would like to call for a boycott of o-bio.org - their just
taking the DIYbio Google Group and scanning it for threads in their
forum. As of the time of going to the site the most users ever online
was about 2x the number of actual users, so their also making fake
accounts to look bigger than they are. I also use the word "they"
when its probably really only 1 person trying to sell ad revenue.

On Feb 18, 12:33 am, "Kefengarahall" <DIYbio.list.gate...@O-Bio.org>

Bryan Bishop

Feb 19, 2011, 11:45:16 AM2/19/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Jake Stew, CoryG
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM, CoryG wrote:
I for one would like to call for a boycott of o-bio.org - their just
taking the DIYbio Google Group and scanning it for threads in their
forum.  As of the time of going to the site the most users ever online
was about 2x the number of actual users, so their also making fake
accounts to look bigger than they are.  I also use the word "they"
when its probably really only 1 person trying to sell ad revenue.

o-bio.org is from back in the day when you guys were complaining that diybio wasn't a forum. So someone made a mailing-list-forum gateway. However, forums are targets of spam just like everything else. So, Jake, you should stop using the default phpbb captcha and amp up the moderation. If the spam continues, my guess is that Mac or Jason will put <DIYbio.li...@o-bio.org> on moderation.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

J. S. John

Feb 19, 2011, 2:07:37 PM2/19/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Bryan Bishop <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> o-bio.org is from back in the day when you guys were complaining that diybio
> wasn't a forum. So someone made a mailing-list-forum gateway. However,
> forums are targets of spam just like everything else. So, Jake, you should
> stop using the default phpbb captcha and amp up the moderation. If the spam
> continues, my guess is that Mac or Jason will put
> <DIYbio.li...@o-bio.org> on moderation.

Bryan's right. We got it started because a couple of us, including me,
were confused at using a mailing list and thought that a forum was
better. Well, I guess, we started to like the mailing list format so
no one used the forum. The forums and list are linked so the forum got
spammed and it ends up here.

I think also this was set up as an archival method since Google Groups
didn't have a good search feature. I don't know if that has been
resolved yet.

Bryan Bishop

Feb 19, 2011, 2:12:00 PM2/19/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, J. S. John
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM, J. S. John <phill...@gmail.com> wrote:
The forums and list are linked so the forum got
spammed and it ends up here.

Fun times with spam:
http://google.com/search?q="Mega+site.+I+will+go+often."

Andrew Barney

Feb 19, 2011, 6:05:56 PM2/19/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
> I think also this was set up as an archival method since Google Groups
> didn't have a good search feature. I don't know if that has been
> resolved yet.

Well, i find that it's easy to search through the achives here:

http://groups.google.com/group/diybio

Ruediger Trojok

Feb 21, 2011, 5:05:24 AM2/21/11
to DIYbio
Isnt it ridiculous what strange nonsense the internet is producing?
Damn, I grew up with it, but it still makes me scratch my head and ask
"why..???"sometimes.
Mega site. I will go often