Recovery from a blackout

Luis Cabrera

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
DAH! I just had a black out and my Turbo color slab is now sick it give me
the following error while it boots:

ghostface syslogd: going down on signal 15
autonfsmount[119]: exiting

erase ^? intr ^C kill^U
#

If I type whoami it give me back "Intruder Alert"
If I type shutdown NOW it says " that must be tomorrow Can't you wait untill
then?"
I used fsck on it and I rebooted in single user mode and fscked it there as
well but to no avail.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out here

Bill Seng

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
If I recall correctly this indicates a problem accessing root's home directory
and/or .cshrc (and other root user files?), which is why you get the "Intruder
Alert" message.

Try booting into single user mode (type bsd -s at the NeXT> boot prompt) and see
if you can get into the root directory and/or root's .cshrc.

I wish I could give you more than that. It happened to me a while ago when I was
adding/removing disks on my system, which rendered certain files for the root
user unavailable. Unfortunately, I don't know which ones....Of course, adding
the disks in the right order and making root's user files accessible fixed it
nicely.

- Bill Seng

Luis Cabrera

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
So I guess what your saying is that I need to try to reinstall the rot files
cuz some were damaged...? Do you think If I reinstalled the OS on top of
what I have already, it'd work?? Or would I just lose all the files on my HD
now.

Bill Seng <bi...@seng.org> wrote in message

Bill Seng

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Luis -

I wish I knew exactly which files were unavailable/damaged. If you have a
nextstep cd, you might try "upgrade.app" on your startup disk. That shouldn't
touch anything except system files. But, I think this is probably overkill.
Chances are it's only a file or two that got munched.

Have you looked in the lost+found directory of your startup disk? Since you
fsck'ed it, I assume something will be in there, named by the inode number. By
looking at the files (with Edit.app, or a simple cat | more) maybe you can tell
what they are and hence which ones are damaged??

Can you execute an "su" from the single user prompt to get into the "me"
account? I wonder if you can get into the "me" account, and perhaps start to fix
things from there...

Anybody else out there with ideas?