hp50g: Interesting new look

Speed

Jul 19, 2006, 4:59:20 PM7/19/06
I hate to bring this up, but doesn't the new hp50g look an awful lot
like a TI?

I'm going to get one when they come out, but I'm going to have to do
something to it to make it look less like a TI; I'd prefer not to be
associated with that crowd : )

--CS

Joe Horn

Jul 19, 2006, 5:43:12 PM7/19/06
Speed wrote:

Here's a quick & easy way to do that.

The "display screen" (also called the LCD protector, or display cover)
on the 49g+ and 50g are identical in dimensions, but they differ
radically in color. If you have both machines, pop out both display
covers (a suction cup and a quick yank are all that's needed) and swap
'em! It makes BOTH machines look unlike anything else out there.

-Joe-

Speed

Jul 19, 2006, 7:40:04 PM7/19/06

Joe Horn wrote:
> Here's a quick & easy way to do that.
>
> The "display screen" (also called the LCD protector, or display cover)
> on the 49g+ and 50g are identical in dimensions, but they differ
> radically in color. If you have both machines, pop out both display
> covers (a suction cup and a quick yank are all that's needed) and swap
> 'em! It makes BOTH machines look unlike anything else out there.
>
> -Joe-

It sounds like you've thought about this already :)

--CS

Greg M.

Jul 20, 2006, 10:03:08 AM7/20/06
Joe Horn wrote:

This brings up a related issue with my 49g+.

There is a small particle of dust sitting behind the display cover. Could I
use this method to pop it off & remove the dust? While just this little bit
doesn't bother me, it does bother me that it's permanently there. It'd be
nice to know I could remove it if it starts bothering me more. :)

So, how is the display cover attached? glue?

Thanks,

Greg M.

Joe Horn

Jul 20, 2006, 1:46:51 PM7/20/06
NB: All of the following applies equally to the HP 49g+ as to the HP
50g.

Greg M. wrote:
> This brings up a related issue with my 49g+.
> There is a small particle of dust sitting behind the display cover. Could I
> use this method to pop it off & remove the dust?

Yes. It's quick, simple, and leaves no detectable marks anywhere.
I've been doing exactly that for years: yank the display screen off
with a suction cup, remove the dust from the LCD and from the back of
the screen cover (being careful not to add more in the process!), and
press back into place. Done!

I personally use a combination of compressed air and a camera lens
duster. It's impossible to get ALL the dust out in a dry, dusty
environment, unless you have one of those nifty static-neutralizer
guns, and work fast.

> So, how is the display cover attached? glue?

It looks to me like it's a strange combination of rubber cement and
adhesive tape. Sometimes some of the tape pops up a little while
popping off the display screen. If this happens, be sure to flatten it
back down before replacing the screen, or the screen will not be flush
with the case.

This would theorectially void your warranty, but it causes no harm and
cannot be detected by HP, so go for it!

If you want to make your display permanently dustproof, remove all of
its adhesive tape and rubber cement (peel out the tape, and remove the
rubber cement by rapidly tapping the sticky side of some Scotch tape to
the rubber cement), surround the underside of the little aluminum HP
logo with silicone caulk (that's where most of the dust comes in!), and
put a very thin layer of rubber cement on both the display screen and
the plastic that holds it. Let the caulk and all the glue completely
dry, then carefully position & replace the screen cover. Voila, no
more dust, ever!

Sad disclaimer: This voids your warranty, and it's easily detected by
HP. Therefore, I suggest the suction-cup method until the warranty
expires, then go for the permanent solution.

You can also prevent dust from entering around the HP logo by putting a
little piece of clear Scotch tape over it. I personally am more
annoyed by the sight of THAT than by the sight of a piece of dust on
the LCD, but tastes differ, so you might want to give it a try.

Before anybody asks: YES, HP knows about this. I have hopes that some
day HP just MIGHT start making the world's first truly dust-proof
display! I mean, sheesh, if *I* can do it, and so easily, why can't
they??

Disclaimer: Attempt at your own risk. Not intended for the suction-cup
challenged.

Can't resist: If you pop off the display screens of a 49g+ *and* a 50g,
you will notice a VERY significant difference in there, a difference
that's ordinarily hidden by the display screen. Flip the calcs over,
remove the battery doors, and see the other side of the story (as it
were). The first person to see this difference, and post it here, wins
1000 points. ;-)

-Joe-

TW

Jul 20, 2006, 2:05:36 PM7/20/06
> This would theorectially void your warranty, but it causes no harm and
> cannot be detected by HP, so go for it!

Just don't use superglue. . . I had one that fell out and thought "a
dab of superglue should do the trick. . ."

Well it did, unfortunately since it left some nice dark spots
everywhere it was placed. =)

TW

Jean-Yves Avenard

Jul 20, 2006, 9:23:53 PM7/20/06
Joe Horn wrote:

> This would theorectially void your warranty, but it causes no harm and
> cannot be detected by HP, so go for it!
Wouldn't this be lying regarding what you've done to your calculator ?
or more precisely hiding the truth with the intention of making the
other party believe otherwise

That's a sin :)

FanJet

Jul 20, 2006, 10:53:56 PM7/20/06

HP could use a 48sx/gx type screen. No dust ever, naturally.

C J Southern

Jul 21, 2006, 1:34:47 AM7/21/06

"Joe Horn" <joe...@holyjoe.net> wrote in message

> I personally use a combination of compressed air and a camera lens
> duster. It's impossible to get ALL the dust out in a dry, dusty
> environment, unless you have one of those nifty static-neutralizer
> guns, and work fast.

We face these issues all the time with photography equipment. Easiest way is
to get a soft brush - give it a blast of (clean) compressed air - then brush
the display.

The compressed air bit is the secret - it statically charges the brush
bristles.

Raymond Del Tondo

Jul 21, 2006, 3:30:36 AM7/21/06

"FanJet" <FanJ...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Now that would have been too easy;-)

Joe Horn

Jul 21, 2006, 8:05:43 AM7/21/06
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Wouldn't this be lying regarding what you've done to your calculator ?
> or more precisely hiding the truth with the intention of making the
> other party believe otherwise
>
> That's a sin :)

Only if you take pleasure in it. Which I do. Mea culpa. ;-)

-Joe-

Jean-Yves Avenard

Jul 21, 2006, 8:20:36 AM7/21/06
FanJet wrote:

> HP could use a 48sx/gx type screen. No dust ever, naturally.

If you don't want dust, remove the screen cover then...

the 48g's screen was far more fragile

Wayne Brown

Jul 21, 2006, 10:19:52 AM7/21/06

I've never had any problem with the screens on either of my 48GXs,
and neither have either of my sons with theirs. A simple piece of
Plexiglas inserted in the inside pocket of the soft case has kept the
screens safe at home, school, work and everywhere in-between for years,
with no need to attach anything to the screen itself. HP easily could
have provided the same protection in the case.

--
Wayne Brown <fwb...@bellsouth.net> (HPCC #1104)

Þæs oferéode, ðisses swá mæg. ("That passed away, this also can.")
-- Deor, from the Exeter Book (folios 100r-100v)

John H Meyers

Jul 21, 2006, 12:43:27 PM7/21/06
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:23:53 -0500:

> Wouldn't this be lying regarding what you've done to your calculator?
> or more precisely hiding the truth with the intention

> of making the other party believe otherwise?

> That's a sin :)

The Irish Ballad

"About a maid I'll sing a song,
Who didn't have her fam'ly long.
Not only did she do them wrong,
She did ev'ryone of them in...

...And when at last the police came by,
Her little pranks she did not deny.
To do so she would have had to lie,
And lying, she knew, was a sin..."

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/irish.htm
One extra verse appears in the following versions:
http://www.thebards.net/music/lyrics/Irish_Ballad.shtml
http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiRICTICTN.html

John H Meyers

Jul 21, 2006, 1:15:54 PM7/21/06
Didn't the "Pioneer" series (like HP42S)
have one production run
with screens covered by an additional plastic sheet,
vs. another production run with "bare" screens,
which were then recessed, like the 48S/G series?
[I have always preferred the recessed, "bare" screens]

Deja Vu all over again?
"Goodbye to the plastic screen cover..." [of the HP49G]
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_frm/thread/212791e9355824a4
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_frm/thread/1cd7699831df2b3

[r->] [OFF]

Jeff

Jul 22, 2006, 2:55:22 PM7/22/06
Wayne Brown wrote:

> I've never had any problem with the screens on either of my 48GXs,
> and neither have either of my sons with theirs. A simple piece of
> Plexiglas inserted in the inside pocket of the soft case has kept the
> screens safe at home, school, work and everywhere in-between for years,
> with no need to attach anything to the screen itself. HP easily could
> have provided the same protection in the case.

The original 48-SX came with a small user's manual that fit in the case
pockete both for reference and protecting the lcd screen. I still use
the frayed and dogearred manual in my 48-GX case.

Jeff

Raymond Del Tondo

Jul 22, 2006, 5:00:08 PM7/22/06

"Jeff" <gs...@excite.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

There exists a Pocket Guide for the HP-48GX, too.
Looks similar to the 49g pocket guide, and fits into the case.
IIRC both were made by Grapevine Publications, Corvallis.

In one of my other HP-48GX cases, I use the long version
of the Synthetix Synthetic Pocket Instruction Card.
Fits nicely and protects the display and keys perfectly,
and is a nice reminiscence to my HP-41 days!

Since we're at screen protectors,
I can recommend the HP-42S Pocket Guide (also from Grapevine),
which fits into the HP-42S slip case (with the calc, of course;-)

Raymond

BTW: The only real hardware flaw on the HP-48S(X)
concerns a few SX machines which were produced
in 1990, between ROM revision B and D .
Those revisions were out for a very short time only.
(Most existing HP-48S series calcs have ROM A or E ,
some have J, and very few have H;-)
The LCD manufacturer had quality problems at the beginning,
and the displays tended to break too easily in some of the early machines.

This issue only remained for a few weeks.
I can look up the serial number range on request.

FanJet

Jul 24, 2006, 12:14:50 AM7/24/06

Never had any trouble with mine and it's nice not to have all that crap
on/under the screen. Heck, the 41s & 42s were unnecessary dust collectors
too. Is HP listening?

John H Meyers

Jul 24, 2006, 1:58:37 AM7/24/06
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:14:50 -0500, FanJet wrote:

> Never had any trouble with my [48] and it's nice not to have all that crap

> on/under the screen. Heck, the 41s & 42s were unnecessary dust collectors
> too. Is HP listening?

"Pioneer" series with plastic over glass screen:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/17b.jpg

"Pioneer" series with no plastic over [recessed] screen:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/42s.jpg

I have one 42S of each screen type,
so they weren't all dusty (nor scratchy :)

[r->] [OFF]

Jeff

Jul 24, 2006, 10:56:09 AM7/24/06
Raymond Del Tondo wrote:

> There exists a Pocket Guide for the HP-48GX, too.
> Looks similar to the 49g pocket guide, and fits into the case.
> IIRC both were made by Grapevine Publications, Corvallis.

> Since we're at screen protectors,

> I can recommend the HP-42S Pocket Guide (also from Grapevine),
> which fits into the HP-42S slip case (with the calc, of course;-)

Thanks for reminding me about Grapevine. I still have a couple of their
books that I found useful. They are still available at:
http://www.read-gpi.com/

Jeff

Wayne Brown

Jul 24, 2006, 11:31:34 AM7/24/06
Raymond Del Tondo <RD...@gmx.de> wrote:

> There exists a Pocket Guide for the HP-48GX, too.
> Looks similar to the 49g pocket guide, and fits into the case.
> IIRC both were made by Grapevine Publications, Corvallis.

I have one of those in the pocket of each 48GX case also, though I like
having the Plexiglas in there behind the pocket guide too. There's room
for both, and the plastic adds extra protection, while the pocket guide
avoids any chance of the plastic piece scratching the keytops.

> In one of my other HP-48GX cases, I use the long version
> of the Synthetix Synthetic Pocket Instruction Card.
> Fits nicely and protects the display and keys perfectly,
> and is a nice reminiscence to my HP-41 days!

I keep one of those in my 41CX case.

--
Wayne Brown <fwb...@bellsouth.net> (HPCC #1104)

Þæs oferéode, ðisses swá mæg. ("That passed away, this also can.")

jsan...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2006, 9:13:38 PM8/2/06

I had this exact same problem, I complained to HP and received a
replacement calculator on warranty.

Joe Horn

Aug 4, 2006, 7:51:59 PM8/4/06
The HHC 2006 website now has a photo essay showing how to remove the
display screen with a suction cup. Works on the 49g+ and 50g... and
probably others.
http://holyjoe.net/hhc2006/dust

Warning: The analogy to a karate chop refers to the swiftness of the
motion, not to its direction! :-b

-Joe-