PuTTY tunneling breaks php generated pages on windows vista/7

George

Jul 5, 2010, 1:34:09 PM7/5/10
I can easily create a tunnel under windows XP to tunnel 443-
>"localhost:443" and then simply access the remote server pages
through the https://localhost URL. When starting with a plain
installation of Vista or windows 7 the same actions result in half way
broken pages (i.e. just like the connection to be reset during the
transfer of the page content) or pages not displaying at all.

Using:
Trunk Version of PuTTY,
Windows 7 default install
Remote Server: Centos 5.4 running FreePBX (a PHP application)
Tunneling: any chosen local host -> localhost:443 (on the server)

Where is the problem?

George.

Simon Tatham

Jul 5, 2010, 2:27:52 PM7/5/10
George <gspi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can easily create a tunnel under windows XP to tunnel 443-
> >"localhost:443" and then simply access the remote server pages
> through the https://localhost URL. When starting with a plain
> installation of Vista or windows 7 the same actions result in half way
> broken pages (i.e. just like the connection to be reset during the
> transfer of the page content) or pages not displaying at all.

Try today's snapshot? I committed a bug fix yesterday which could
easily have had this consequence.
--
Simon Tatham "loop, infinite _see_ infinite loop"
<ana...@pobox.com> - Index, Borland Pascal Language Guide

George

Jul 5, 2010, 3:30:16 PM7/5/10
On Jul 5, 9:27 pm, Simon Tatham <ana...@pobox.com> wrote:

> George  <gspil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can easily create a tunnel under windows XP to tunnel 443-
> > >"localhost:443" and then simply access the remote server pages
> > through thehttps://localhostURL. When starting with a plain

> > installation of Vista or windows 7 the same actions result in half way
> > broken pages (i.e. just like the connection to be reset during the
> > transfer of the page content) or pages not displaying at all.
>
> Try today's snapshot? I committed a bug fix yesterday which could
> easily have had this consequence.
> --
> Simon Tatham         "loop, infinite _see_ infinite loop"
> <ana...@pobox.com>     - Index, Borland Pascal Language Guide

Thank you for answering so quickly.

It seems the problem is not new, it existed from 0.58 (at least that's
the oldest version I have tested). I can offer the following to help
debugging:
- Video of the problem
- A server running SSH with the application with all the required
credentials (using public IPs in order to eliminate any NATing side
effects). I can also offer two virtual machines (WInXP & 7) to test
the different behavior.
- Two full logs (SSH packets & raw data) for the same page by the two
different OS clients: one of them (XP) is displayed correctly and the
other (7) not.

George.

Simon Tatham

Jul 5, 2010, 3:44:34 PM7/5/10
George <gspi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems the problem is not new, it existed from 0.58 (at least that's
> the oldest version I have tested). I can offer the following to help
> debugging:

You've offered everything there except the one thing I actually
asked: does the problem still occur with the 2010-07-05 snapshot?
--
Simon Tatham "_shin_, n. An ingenious device for
<ana...@pobox.com> finding tables and chairs in the dark."

George

Jul 5, 2010, 5:07:46 PM7/5/10
On Jul 5, 10:44 pm, Simon Tatham <ana...@pobox.com> wrote:

I've got exactly the same problems with snapshot 2010-07-05:r8971.
This problem is independent of the browser so it has something to do
with Win Vista/7 and PuTTY (which is different from XP).

George.

Man-wai Chang

Jul 6, 2010, 9:03:58 AM7/6/10
> through the https://localhost URL. When starting with a plain
> installation of Vista or windows 7 the same actions result in half way
> broken pages (i.e. just like the connection to be reset during the
> transfer of the page content) or pages not displaying at all.

> Remote Server: Centos 5.4 running FreePBX (a PHP application)

> Tunneling: any chosen local host -> localhost:443 (on the server)

Are you absolutely sure that Apache or FreePBX isn't the problem? Could
it be your wireless router?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34

George

Jul 6, 2010, 12:01:00 PM7/6/10
On Jul 6, 4:03 pm, Man-wai Chang <toylet.toy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > through thehttps://localhostURL. When starting with a plain

Of course I am never sure of anything, it could be the wireless router
(which I don't have). The point is: I got a fairly standard setup
working perfectly for years using PuTTY on windows XP. Then only the
OS have been changed (its a plain install with or without patches) to
windows 7 (the same thing happens with windows vista) and presto: I
got all these sort of problems with SSL encrypted pages over a
standard 443 tunneling using PuTTY. So why should I blame Apache or my
router and not the different implementation of winsock under Vista/7?
Comparing the putty logs I can see the following on the offending
side:

00000dc0 4b 6e 40 b4 18 74 f7 c3 f2 c3 a6 76 f5 2b d5 17
Kn@..t.....v.+..
00000dd0 03 01 00 20 13 a7 22 ec 30 2e 53 b4 29 0c 47 cc ... ..".
0.S.).G.
00000de0 62 0b 36 9f d9 de 68 01 82 9d b8 79 f1 93 d3 31 b.
6...h....y...1
00000df0 2a e1 c7 70 *..p
Incoming packet #0x1e7, type 96 / 0x60 (SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_EOF)
00000000 00 00 01 01 ....
Outgoing packet #0x1d5, type 97 / 0x61 (SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE)
00000000 00 00 00 01 ....
Outgoing raw data
00000000 1d e1 09 8c 6e 85 e6 2c 5e af 09 bc 70 ea b7
63 ....n..,^...p..c
00000010 cd d9 02 90 80 a4 44 f9 04 b7 d0 d0 1d 5c da
c8 ......D......\..
00000020 f9 a4 07 e8 ....
Event Log: Nothing left to send, closing channel
Event Log: Forwarded port closed
Incoming raw data
00000000 5b e3 98 a8 eb a3 4e 2a 01 13 c8 6f cf a4 03 4b
[.....N*...o...K
00000010 32 3b 8b df 8b d1 4b cb a6 cf df 24 b3 43 79 20
2;....K....$.Cy
00000020 3d f5 78 b1 =.x.
Incoming packet #0x1e8, type 97 / 0x61 (SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE)
00000000 00 00 01 01

The CHANNEL_CLOSE and EOF do not appear under Windows XP thus the
message: "Nothing left to send, closing channel".

George.

Man-wai Chang

Jul 7, 2010, 5:34:20 AM7/7/10
> (which I don't have). The point is: I got a fairly standard setup
> working perfectly for years using PuTTY on windows XP. Then only the
> OS have been changed (its a plain install with or without patches) to
> windows 7 (the same thing happens with windows vista) and presto: I
> got all these sort of problems with SSL encrypted pages over a
> standard 443 tunneling using PuTTY. So why should I blame Apache or my

Then it's possibly not the fault of Putty or your Linux server. Win 7
possibly added something new to the TCP stack....

Did you try disabling QoS & IPV6 in Properties of the TCP adaptor?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34

^ ^ 17:31:01 up 16 days 2:09 2 users load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00

George

Jul 7, 2010, 6:34:17 AM7/7/10

I have tried disabling: UAC, IPv6, QoS, Firewall. No Joy.

George.

Man-wai Chang

Jul 7, 2010, 12:25:15 PM7/7/10

> I have tried disabling: UAC, IPv6, QoS, Firewall. No Joy.

google "win 7 network throttling"

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34

^ ^ 00:21:01 up 16 days 8:59 2 users load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00

MrD

Jul 7, 2010, 12:44:05 PM7/7/10
Man-wai Chang wrote:

>> I have tried disabling: UAC, IPv6, QoS, Firewall. No Joy.
>>

> google "win 7 network throttling"

Have you tried that search? For me, it comes back with a page of results
that are all irrelevant to the question (actually, all pretty much
irrelevant even to the search terms). How about linking to the document
you thought might be helpful, rather than just suggesting a search?

--
MrD.

Man-wai Chang

Jul 8, 2010, 12:11:06 PM7/8/10
>> google "win 7 network throttling"
> Have you tried that search? For me, it comes back with a page of results
> that are all irrelevant to the question (actually, all pretty much
> irrelevant even to the search terms). How about linking to the document
> you thought might be helpful, rather than just suggesting a search?

Sorry, I can't. But given the fact that he didn't change Putty nor the
server, the only guilty component should be Win 7 which replaced WinXP.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34

^ ^ 00:08:01 up 17 days 8:46 3 users load average: 0.12 0.14 0.17

George

Jul 30, 2010, 5:16:06 AM7/30/10
Sorry to bump again. Any news on this? Any way I can help? I have log
files at hand plus a testing environment.

PuTTY is extremely helpful and I cannot upgrade the IT helpdesk
infrastructure to windows 7 till this is resolved.

Thanks,
George

Man-wai Chang

Jul 30, 2010, 8:39:05 AM7/30/10
> PuTTY is extremely helpful and I cannot upgrade the IT helpdesk
> infrastructure to windows 7 till this is resolved.

Test it again!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.

/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34.1
^ ^ 20:35:01 up 19 days 4:36 2 users load average: 0.03 0.01 0.00

George

Aug 2, 2010, 11:18:09 AM8/2/10

It still has the same problem (the program revision is the same by the
way). Anyway I can help the developer?

Thanks,
George.

Man-wai Chang

Aug 3, 2010, 3:57:55 AM8/3/10
> It still has the same problem (the program revision is the same by the
> way). Anyway I can help the developer?

Post your question again in Micro$oft's Win 7 networking forum as well
as in FreePBX or PHP newsgroups.

Your original question is here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.security.ssh/browse_thread/thread/64772d64ef2b66dc/0b920866c7c39dac?show_docid=0b920866c7c39dac

As I said before, you only changed from WinXP to Vi$ta/Win7. Putty and
FreePBX (which included Apache, PHP) are never changed.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34.1

^ ^ 15:52:01 up 23:11 1 user load average: 1.14 1.10 1.03