{OT] The Amorality of Most Computer Scientists

Sidney Lambe

Sep 28, 2008, 5:06:43 AM9/28/08

How IBM helped the Nazis IBM and the Holocaust

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/jun2001/ibm-j27.shtml

I guess they just get so caught up in the fascinations of the
technology that they lose touch with their consciences.

Check them out right here and now on this group, on the
"LooKing for MTA" thread.

This fellow is obviously a troll and working on being a spammer,
and they ara happily teaching him how to do it.

Or maybe they are professional spam fighters and need to
have spammers out there to justify their jobs?

Either way, it is amorality at work.

Sid

--
My newsfilter kills all threads and subthreads
originating with a post from googlegroups.

Handover Phist

Sep 28, 2008, 3:18:26 PM9/28/08
Sidney Lambe :

> How IBM helped the Nazis IBM and the Holocaust
>
> http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/jun2001/ibm-j27.shtml

Godwin. You lose.

> I guess they just get so caught up in the fascinations of the
> technology that they lose touch with their consciences.
>
> Check them out right here and now on this group, on the
> "LooKing for MTA" thread.
>
> This fellow is obviously a troll and working on being a spammer,
> and they ara happily teaching him how to do it.

Dont look now but your inner paranoiac is sneaking out. I see people
teaching another person how mail works. I'm studying that now myself in
order to run a mailing list. A legitimate one. If I ask on here how to
do that you're going to point and scream 'Ack! A spammer!', which is not
very helpful and makes Linux users look like crackpots thank you very
much. There are people out there who actually need to know, so shut up.

--
Bankers do it with interest (penalty for early withdrawal).

www.websterscafe.com

Sidney Lambe

Sep 28, 2008, 5:15:51 PM9/28/08
Handover Phist <ja...@jason.websterscafe.com> wrote:
> Sidney Lambe :

>> How IBM helped the Nazis IBM and the Holocaust
>>
>> http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/jun2001/ibm-j27.shtml
>
> Godwin. You lose.

Wrong.

Godwin's law is usually invoked by people who are like the Nazis
and quite naturally averse to having people recognize this fact.

>> I guess they just get so caught up in the fascinations of the
>> technology that they lose touch with their consciences.
>>
>> Check them out right here and now on this group, on the
>> "LooKing for MTA" thread.
>>
>> This fellow is obviously a troll and working on being a spammer,
>> and they ara happily teaching him how to do it.
>
> Dont look now but your inner paranoiac is sneaking out. I see people
> teaching another person how mail works. I'm studying that now myself in
> order to run a mailing list. A legitimate one. If I ask on here how to
> do that you're going to point and scream 'Ack! A spammer!', which is not
> very helpful and makes Linux users look like crackpots thank you very
> much. There are people out there who actually need to know, so shut up.

No, I am not going to shut up because you don't like what I have
to say. Because it makes you uncomfortable.

There is obviously a big difference between helping someone who
is on the up-and-up and someone who is not. You may be legitimate
but that fellow who made up a new name just for his questions
about mail most certainly is not.

If you have questions about mail, then post them as new threads.
At least the answers won't be specifically tailored to helping a
would-be spammer.

"Feb 15, 2006 ... US lawmakers scold tech companies for China
censorship. Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and Cisco criticized for
choosing profits rather than ..."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/02/15/75437_HNtechchina_1.html S

I can see you saying: 'Those people at yahoo and google and
microsoft are just teaching the Chinese how to filter network
traffic. What's the problem with that?'

Fortunately, the U.S. Congress disagrees with you.

Sid

Handover Phist

Sep 28, 2008, 6:36:03 PM9/28/08
Regs: Please plonk this thread.

Sidney Lambe :

> Handover Phist <ja...@jason.websterscafe.com> wrote:
>> Sidney Lambe :

>>> How IBM helped the Nazis IBM and the Holocaust
>>>
>>> http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/jun2001/ibm-j27.shtml
>>
>> Godwin. You lose.
>
> Wrong.
>
> Godwin's law is usually invoked by people who are like the Nazis
> and quite naturally averse to having people recognize this fact.

OK, I'm a nazi then.

>>> I guess they just get so caught up in the fascinations of the
>>> technology that they lose touch with their consciences.
>>>
>>> Check them out right here and now on this group, on the
>>> "LooKing for MTA" thread.
>>>
>>> This fellow is obviously a troll and working on being a spammer,
>>> and they ara happily teaching him how to do it.
>>
>> Dont look now but your inner paranoiac is sneaking out. I see people
>> teaching another person how mail works. I'm studying that now myself in
>> order to run a mailing list. A legitimate one. If I ask on here how to
>> do that you're going to point and scream 'Ack! A spammer!', which is not
>> very helpful and makes Linux users look like crackpots thank you very
>> much. There are people out there who actually need to know, so shut up.
>
> No, I am not going to shut up because you don't like what I have
> to say. Because it makes you uncomfortable.

It doesn't make me uncomfortable, quite the contrary. I enjoy debate.

> There is obviously a big difference between helping someone who
> is on the up-and-up and someone who is not. You may be legitimate
> but that fellow who made up a new name just for his questions
> about mail most certainly is not.

There is a difference, as you say, but those who are helping him have
looked at the request and decided that the poster is worth helping. You
looked at the thread and decided he was not. Eating bandwidth trying to
change the minds of those helping him is an exersise in futility.
Especially if the people whose minds you are trying to change have minds
strong enough to be Slackers. In short: you're wasting your time.

> If you have questions about mail, then post them as new threads.
> At least the answers won't be specifically tailored to helping a
> would-be spammer.

If I did and I probably will, I will do just that. As it is I bought the
Bat book instead and read a few man pages and web articles. I'm truckin
along on my own just fine so far. The reason for that is because I
posted a lot back in '03 and learned from these fine people. Thay are my
teachers. My gurus. I'm simply a layman in comparison.

> "Feb 15, 2006 ... US lawmakers scold tech companies for China
> censorship. Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and Cisco criticized for
> choosing profits rather than ..."
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/02/15/75437_HNtechchina_1.html S
>
> I can see you saying: 'Those people at yahoo and google and
> microsoft are just teaching the Chinese how to filter network
> traffic. What's the problem with that?'
>
> Fortunately, the U.S. Congress disagrees with you.

I don't quite get the reference here.

--
It takes a brave man to admit his mistakes.
Especially in a paternity hearing.

www.websterscafe.com

Sidney Lambe

Sep 28, 2008, 6:42:27 PM9/28/08
Handover Phist <ja...@jason.websterscafe.com> wrote:
> Regs: Please plonk this thread.
>
> Sidney Lambe :
>> Handover Phist <ja...@jason.websterscafe.com> wrote:
>>> Sidney Lambe :

>>> Godwin. You lose.
>>
>> Wrong.
>>
>> Godwin's law is usually invoked by people who are like the Nazis
>> and quite naturally averse to having people recognize this fact.
>
> OK, I'm a nazi then.

No. Like I said, in the part of the article that you conveniently
snipped, my post makes you very uncomfortable and now you are
playing childish games to distract people and discredit me.

I see this type of crap on the usenet all the time.

Peddle it elsewhere. And don't imagine that you are accomplishing
anything but looking like an ass. You aren't fooling anyone
but morons.

[delete]

Sid

Sidney Lambe

Sep 28, 2008, 7:25:46 PM9/28/08
Handover Phist <ja...@jason.websterscafe.com> wrote:
> Regs: Please plonk this thread.

Of course. Wouldn't want anyone to see that conversations
about morals and ethics evoked such negative responses,
or none at all, the latter being the most telling.

But it won't do you much good. The "regs" can plonk the
thread, but that won't keep others from seeing it.

Let's make it easy:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.misc/browse_thread/thread/c030791436166c4b#

[delete]

Sid

Dan C

Sep 28, 2008, 8:34:07 PM9/28/08
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 15:36:03 -0700, Handover Phist wrote:

>> No, I am not going to shut up because you don't like what I have
>> to say. Because it makes you uncomfortable.

> It doesn't make me uncomfortable, quite the contrary. I enjoy debate.

You do know that you are "debating" with the Usenet asshole "Alan Connor",
right? "Sidney Lambe" is just his most recent nymshift. You may also
know him from a few months back as "Tom Newton"...

Ignore the fucking kook, and stop feeding him, please.

--
"Sidney Lambe" ("Tom Newton") - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here: