[News] Hexen and Heretic Become Free Software (GNU GPL)

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 8, 2008, 3:26:16 PM9/8/08

Tom Shelton

Sep 8, 2008, 5:13:38 PM9/8/08
On 2008-09-08, Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> Hexen and Heretic Code Opened Under GPL
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Twelve years since Hexen's release, Raven Software has unleashed the classic
>| shooters' code under the GNU GPL software license, fixing confusion over the
>| legality of various Doom ports.
> `----
>
> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86131-Hexen-and-Heretic-Code-Opened-Under-GPL
>
> Another big win for the GPL.

Getting the source to a 12 year old game is a big win? Interesting... Not
saying I didn't enjoy Heritic when it was new :)

--
Tom Shelton

7

Sep 8, 2008, 5:32:25 PM9/8/08
Tom Shelton wrote:

> On 2008-09-08, Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hexen and Heretic Code Opened Under GPL
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Twelve years since Hexen's release, Raven Software has unleashed the
>>| classic shooters' code under the GNU GPL software license, fixing
>>| confusion over the legality of various Doom ports.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news

view/86131-Hexen-and-Heretic-Code-Opened-Under-GPL

>> Another big win for the GPL.
>>

> Getting the source to a 12 year old game is a big win? Interesting...
> Not saying I didn't enjoy Heritic when it was new :)

Its the engine not necessarily the game that is the big win.
Ideal for ARM based hand held/PDA Linux games.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 8, 2008, 5:49:53 PM9/8/08

They have to take what they can get.
This is a big one for them I suppose.
--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 9, 2008, 12:48:01 AM9/9/08

____/ 7 on Monday 08 September 2008 21:32 : \____

It also gives RMS more to play with. ;-)

US Copyright Office grants abandonware rights

,----[ Quote ]
| What does this mean? Well, those retro games -- classic or otherwise --
| that you can't seem to find anywhere can now be preserved without fear
| of ramifications. Although it is still unlawful to distribute the old
| games, free or otherwise, rarely do any abandonware cases go to court.
| The ruling is more symbolic than anything, but a step in the right
| direction.
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/23/us-copyright-office-grants-abandonware-rights/

Opening the box: The story of the Pandora (so far)

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source handhelds have been with us for a while now. Those of you with a
| decent memory will recall the excellent GP2X from Korean manufacturer
| Gamepark Holdings, a device capable of performing numerous different
| functions, the most appealing of which is the ability to emulate several
| retro gaming platforms such as the Mega Drive, NES and PC Engine. Owning such
| a machine is like having an entire video game collection in your pocket.
|
| [...]
|
| The more open source machines, the better – they are the future. The Eee PC
| has already shown then a machine running Linux can sell as well as – or even
| better than – a machine running Windows. Open source is the future, there is
| an ever increasing demand for such machines and manufacturers are now
| becoming aware of the fact you don't have to run Windows anymore – the
| internet is the future and it does not need Microsoft.
`----

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/Pandora/news.asp?c=8667

Open-source gaming goes commercial with Wiz handheld

,----[ Quote ]
| Homebrew and open-source applications often offer utility unrivaled by the
| more mainstream units, and that's something GPH is hoping to take advantage
| of with this new handheld. The Linux-powered device (running its own GP2X
| distribution) sports an Arm9 533MHz processor with a 3D accelerator, 64MB of
| RAM, 1GB of built-in NAND flash memory, an external SD card slot, and a
| single USB 2.0 connection. The display is a 2.8" OLED touch screen panel with
| a resolution of 320 by 240 (QVGA). The unit is powered by a 2000mAh
| Lithium-Ion battery that nets an advertised five hours of play time.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080826-open-source-gaming-goes-commercial-with-wiz-handheld.html
http://tinyurl.com/6h5aau

Gampark's GP2X Wiz handheld now available

,----[ Quote ]
| We caught a glimpse of GamePark's new Wiz GP2X / GP3X handheld a month or so
| back, and the homebrew-friendly black-and-red unit is now available. $179 of
| your American dollars is all it takes to enjoy the 2.8-inch QVGA OLED screen,
| 533MHz ARM9 processor, 64MB of RAM, 16GB of flash, and 5 hour battery life --
| not to mention a Flash 7 player, MPEG4, xViD and DivX compatibility and new
| games scheduled to hit every month. Dynamism say these'll start shipping on
| October 8th -- anyone throwing down?
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/26/gamparks-gp2x-wiz-handheld-now-available/

Emulation station: GP2X F-200 gaming handheld reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| A long-time gaming buddy of mine hipped me to this system a few months back,
| and I have to admit I was skeptical at first because he is prone to a bit of
| hyperbole when it comes to things he owns and I don't. But, after spending
| some quality, hands-on time with the GP2X F-200, I have to say that my
| friend's assessment was spot on: this is a quality handheld and well worth
| the $170 price tag for the emulation capabilities alone. In my mind, the
| multimedia functionality offered on the GP2X is just icing on the electronic
| cake.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/gp2x-review.ars

Could Pandora open up Linux games?

,----[ Quote ]
| A stealth-mode startup is readying a Linux-based handheld gaming device with
| WiFi, USB, and a 4.3-inch 800x480 touchscreen. The "Pandora," headquartered
| at OpenPandora.org for now, runs Linux on a next-generation ARM SoC with
| integrated OpenGL 2.0 compliant graphics processor.
`----

GamePark Holdings' GP2X F-200 coming in October

,----[ Quote ]
| Where the new model does differ, however, is with the addition of a 320 x 240
| QVGA touchscreen (with stylus), and a complete redesign of the gamepad,
| moving away from the previous, mushroom-like protrusion to a more flush,
| PSP-esque controller.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/gamepark-holdings-gp2x-f-200-coming-in-october/

New Gp2x F-200, A GP2X with d-pad and Touchscreen!

,----[ Quote ]
| GPH announced the preview of our new GP2X model, the GP2X F-200. It similar
| to F100 but with d-pad and touchscreen.
`----

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=38291

Pandora project demoed on video, shows off hardware, Linux, and Quake 2

,----[ Quote ]
| It's pretty exciting stuff if you're a homebrew fan (and we know you are),
| featuring demos of the device smoothly running emulators like PicoDrive,
| PSNES, booting up a build of Linux, and even getting its Quake 2 on (at high
| frame rates and looking crystal clear).
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/pandora-project-demoed-on-video-shows-off-hardware-linux-and/

Hands-on with GamePark's GP2X F-200

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/01/hands-on-with-gameparks-gp2x-f-200/

`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/gamepark-holdings-gp2x-f-200-coming-in-october/

New Gp2x F-200, A GP2X with d-pad and Touchscreen!

,----[ Quote ]
| GPH announced the preview of our new GP2X model, the GP2X F-200. It similar
| to F100 but with d-pad and touchscreen.
`----

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=38291

- --
"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..." --Paul DeGroot, a Directions
On Microsoft analyst.

Phil Da Lick!

Sep 9, 2008, 7:51:26 AM9/9/08

Heretic rocked!

High Plains Thumper

Sep 12, 2008, 9:05:55 AM9/12/08
Tom Shelton wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Hexen and Heretic Code Opened Under GPL
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Twelve years since Hexen's release, Raven Software has
>>> unleashed the classic shooters' code under the GNU GPL
>>> software license, fixing confusion over the legality of
>>> various Doom ports.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86131-Hexen-and-Heretic-Code-Opened-Under-GPL
>>
>> Another big win for the GPL.
>
> Getting the source to a 12 year old game is a big win?
> Interesting... Not saying I didn't enjoy Heretic when it was
> new :)

Like Solitaire (sol.exe), WinMine, Pinball? :-)

You underestimate the value of legacy games. They were great
games when written and still are.

Point is that such games can be enjoyed under multiple operating
systems and still be legal. How many games have been illegally
installed in Windows, hmmmm?

Kudos to the GPL team for convincing the owners to release the
copyright to these games and other applications.

Fact that they are released and have been ported to Linux assists
those learning Linux with additional games, assisting the
learning experience.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati

ml2mst

Sep 12, 2008, 12:05:10 PM9/12/08
High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Tom Shelton wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Hexen and Heretic Code Opened Under GPL
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86131-Hexen-and-Heretic-Code-Opened-Under-GPL
>>>

>>> Another big win for the GPL.
>>
>> Getting the source to a 12 year old game is a big win?
>> Interesting... Not saying I didn't enjoy Heretic when it was
>> new :)
>
> Like Solitaire (sol.exe), WinMine, Pinball? :-)
>
> You underestimate the value of legacy games. They were great games when
> written and still are.

Beside that, there is already a openGL port of Heretic, with a couple of
interesting graphical extensions. Which makes the game worth playing
again. Of course you'll need the original version for the iWAD file.

> Point is that such games can be enjoyed under multiple operating systems
> and still be legal. How many games have been illegally installed in
> Windows, hmmmm?

The majority of Winware is illegal.

> Kudos to the GPL team for convincing the owners to release the copyright
> to these games and other applications.
>
> Fact that they are released and have been ported to Linux assists those
> learning Linux with additional games, assisting the learning experience.

BTW, good to see you back again HPT!

Cheers

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
|0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

Hadron

Sep 12, 2008, 12:11:07 PM9/12/08
ml2mst <ma...@gmail.com> writes:

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> Getting the source to a 12 year old game is a big win?
>>> Interesting... Not saying I didn't enjoy Heretic when it was
>>> new :)
>>
>> Like Solitaire (sol.exe), WinMine, Pinball? :-)

You mean the for free closed source games whipped with Windows. What are
you talking about? The source for Heretic is there for Windows too.

>> You underestimate the value of legacy games. They were great games
>> when written and still are.
>
> Beside that, there is already a openGL port of Heretic, with a couple

Heretic, like Hexen, was a poor mans quake.

> of interesting graphical extensions. Which makes the game worth
> playing again. Of course you'll need the original version for the iWAD
> file.
>
>> Point is that such games can be enjoyed under multiple operating
>> systems and still be legal. How many games have been illegally
>> installed in Windows, hmmmm?
>
> The majority of Winware is illegal.

You have proof of this?

>> Kudos to the GPL team for convincing the owners to release the
>> copyright to these games and other applications.
>>
>> Fact that they are released and have been ported to Linux assists
>> those learning Linux with additional games, assisting the learning
>> experience.

You want to see an OSS game done right? Look no further than Nexuiz.

--
"You're a condescending, arrogant asshole, Quack."
-- Tattoo Vampire <sit...@this.computer> in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, comp.os.linux.advocacy

High Plains Thumper

Sep 13, 2008, 12:06:14 AM9/13/08
ml2mst wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> Getting the source to a 12 year old game is a big win?
>>> Interesting... Not saying I didn't enjoy Heretic when it
>>> was new :)
>>
>> Like Solitaire (sol.exe), WinMine, Pinball? :-)
>>
>> You underestimate the value of legacy games. They were
>> great games when written and still are.
>
> Beside that, there is already a openGL port of Heretic, with a
> couple of interesting graphical extensions. Which makes the
> game worth playing again. Of course you'll need the original
> version for the iWAD file.

With it being released, it would not surprise me that this little
encumbrance will be overcome.

>> Point is that such games can be enjoyed under multiple
>> operating systems and still be legal. How many games have
>> been illegally installed in Windows, hmmmm?
>
> The majority of Winware is illegal.

That I can understand, hence why all the EULA's and software
pirating protection schemes.

>> Kudos to the GPL team for convincing the owners to release
>> the copyright to these games and other applications.
>>
>> Fact that they are released and have been ported to Linux
>> assists those learning Linux with additional games,
>> assisting the learning experience.
>
> BTW, good to see you back again HPT!

Thanks, I took a little breather, taking care of priorities.

--
HPT

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 1:32:18 AM9/13/08

And here we have a perfect example of "lets play someones game (hard
work and investment) for free". "free" as in - it costs you nothing.

"With it being released, it would not surprise me that this little
encumbrance will be overcome."

You should be ashamed of yourself.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 13, 2008, 11:37:18 AM9/13/08
Hadron wrote:

> High Plains Thumper writes:
>> ml2mst wrote:

>>> The majority of Winware is illegal.
> >
>> That I can understand, hence why all the EULA's and software
>> pirating protection schemes.
>
> And here we have a perfect example of "lets play someones game
> (hard work and investment) for free". "free" as in - it costs
> you nothing.

Perfect? No, rather sad taken out-of-context analogy.

Game has been around for a while, writer and manufacturer have
received their compensation. Due to newer titles and features,
game is not as profitable as before. They make the game code
available to the FOSS community, for maintenance and permision to
distro.

This is legal, whereas theft of software is not.

> "With it being released, it would not surprise me that this
> little encumbrance will be overcome."
>
> You should be ashamed of yourself.

Replying to your moronic insults? Yes.

--
HPT

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 11:41:33 AM9/13/08
High Plains Thumper <highplai...@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper writes:

>>> That I can understand, hence why all the EULA's and software
>>> pirating protection schemes.
>>
>> And here we have a perfect example of "lets play someones game
>> (hard work and investment) for free". "free" as in - it costs
>> you nothing.
>
> Perfect? No, rather sad taken out-of-context analogy.
>
> Game has been around for a while, writer and manufacturer have
> received their compensation.

See? Who do you think they are. How do you know how much they
received. Why do YOU think you should get it for free

> Due to newer titles and features, game
> is not as profitable as before. They make the game code available to
> the FOSS community, for maintenance and permision to distro.
>
> This is legal, whereas theft of software is not.

YOu seem to be on the hook and wriggling. I am referring to your
comments about the data files being made available by "someone" so you
would not have to pay .. aha. Below.

>> "With it being released, it would not surprise me that this
>> little encumbrance will be overcome."
>>
>> You should be ashamed of yourself.
>
> Replying to your moronic insults? Yes.

So you deny you are advocating piracy even though its as plain as the
boil on Liarmutt's nose that you are? Hilarious.

--
"I do believe I have stated that he should be given the benefit of the
doubt, as is his right. If he did this crime, as it would seem, then he

Tim Smith

Sep 13, 2008, 12:26:53 PM9/13/08
In article <2517942.9...@schestowitz.com>,

Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> Hexen and Heretic Code Opened Under GPL
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Twelve years since Hexen's release, Raven Software has unleashed
> | the classic shooters' code under the GNU GPL software license,
> | fixing confusion over the legality of various Doom ports.
> `----
>
> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86131-Hexen-and-Heretic-Code-Opened-
> Under-GPL
>
> Another big win for the GPL.

Correction: another big win for proprietary software. If it wasn't for
the company's success with proprietary software, they wouldn't be
releasing old code under GPL.

--
--Tim Smith

Linonut

Sep 13, 2008, 12:38:35 PM9/13/08

> In article <2517942.9...@schestowitz.com>,
> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hexen and Heretic Code Opened Under GPL
>>

>> Another big win for the GPL.
>
> Correction: another big win for proprietary software. If it wasn't for
> the company's success with proprietary software, they wouldn't be
> releasing old code under GPL.

Then it's a win for both!

And no need for a code-escrow agreement (not that it matters much for
games).

--
* boren tosses matlab across the room and hopes it breaks into a number
aproaching infinite peices

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 12:38:15 PM9/13/08
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

Poor Roy.

Does he think this code was written under the GPL and given away for
free from day one?

Is he aware that High Plains Hypocrite is advocating pirating the data
files in order to play for free and compensate the authors not at all?

Amazing lack of morals the COLA "advocates" have.

--
"Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
chrisv, COLA.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 13, 2008, 1:03:45 PM9/13/08
Hadron wrote:

> Does he think this code was written under the GPL and given
> away for free from day one?
>
> Is he aware that High Plains Hypocrite is advocating pirating
> the data files in order to play for free and compensate the
> authors not at all?
>
> Amazing lack of morals the COLA "advocates" have.

Lie. My reply to your earlier post:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/7d4533ba28cbc264?

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:37:18 -0600

[quote]

Hadron wrote:
> High Plains Thumper writes:
>> ml2mst wrote:

>>> The majority of Winware is illegal.
>>
>> That I can understand, hence why all the EULA's and software
>> pirating protection schemes.
>
> And here we have a perfect example of "lets play someones game
> (hard work and investment) for free". "free" as in - it costs
> you nothing.

Perfect? No, rather sad taken out-of-context analogy.

Game has been around for a while, writer and manufacturer have

received their compensation. Due to newer titles and features,

game is not as profitable as before. They make the game code

available to the FOSS community, for maintenance and permission
to distro.

This is legal, whereas theft of software is not.

> "With it being released, it would not surprise me that this

> little encumbrance will be overcome."
>
> You should be ashamed of yourself.

Replying to your moronic insults? Yes.

[/quote]

Not only does your post disrespect my nym, your post is devoid of
ethical content.

--
HPT

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 1:08:43 PM9/13/08
High Plains Thumper <highplai...@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> Does he think this code was written under the GPL and given
>> away for free from day one?
>>
>> Is he aware that High Plains Hypocrite is advocating pirating
>> the data files in order to play for free and compensate the
>> authors not at all?
>>
>> Amazing lack of morals the COLA "advocates" have.
>
> Lie. My reply to your earlier post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/7d4533ba28cbc264?

It was not a lie. I even quoted you.

You determined, in your sick corrupt mind, that the developers had
already received enough compensation for their efforts.

You, of course, have no idea how much they received.

The fact that it pretty much stank suggests not too much.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 13, 2008, 1:13:40 PM9/13/08

Linonut

Sep 13, 2008, 1:51:57 PM9/13/08

Heh heh ----------------------^-----------------^----------^

--
We all know that no one understands anything that isn't funny.

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 2:30:44 PM9/13/08
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

So you agree that its ok to pirate SW as soon as you personally have
decided the developers have been adequately recompensed? Nice to know.

A fine little bunch of thieves and pirates you guys make.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

The British tax payer put you through University. Taxes raised from
business. Business like the SW business. And you openly advocating your
Linux mob to steal SW as a thank you? Unbelievable.

--
"Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 2:31:25 PM9/13/08
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

>>> Hadron wrote:
>>
>> <nonsense>
>>
>> HPT, you're wasting your time and bandwidth on this scum.
>>
>> Roy S. Schestowitz | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
>
> Heh heh ----------------------^-----------------^----------^

Heel Liarmutt!

Good dog <flips doggy drop>.

Now, lick a little lower ... ah, good dog.

chrisv

Sep 13, 2008, 4:43:35 PM9/13/08
Linonut wrote:

>* Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>

>> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hexen and Heretic Code Opened Under GPL
>>>
>>> Another big win for the GPL.
>>
>> Correction: another big win for proprietary software. If it wasn't for
>> the company's success with proprietary software, they wouldn't be
>> releasing old code under GPL.
>
>Then it's a win for both!

Indeed. There's a place for both in the world, Original creations
like games are a perfect example of something that is expensive, and
understandably so.

Mature technologies like word processors, on the other hand...

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 13, 2008, 6:05:31 PM9/13/08

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 6:22:51 PM9/13/08
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

> ____/ Linonut on Saturday 13 September 2008 16:38 : \____
>
>> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Correction: another big win for proprietary software. If it wasn't for
>>> the company's success with proprietary software, they wouldn't be
>>> releasing old code under GPL.
>>
>> Then it's a win for both!
>>
>> And no need for a code-escrow agreement (not that it matters much for
>> games).
>
> The Microsoft shills keep spinning. Did Fukenbuch [sic] morph into
> Tim's nym?

lets see. A thread involving Liarmutt and his master Roy.

a) Liarmutt poasting rubbish not linked to thread : check
b) Roy conjuring up Windows shill nonsense even tough nothing was
mentioned about Windows : check
c) Morphing of names into something offensive despite claiming only
others do that : check

Yup. Business as usual for Roy and his lapdog Liarmutt. I bet Liarmutt
even has to operate the poop scoop.

--
"Vista actually requires more ram than a 32bit cpu can
address."

High Plains Thumper

Sep 13, 2008, 11:35:02 PM9/13/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> High Plains Thumper on Saturday :

>> Hadron wrote:
>>
>>> And here we have a perfect example of "lets play someones game
>>> (hard work and investment) for free". "free" as in - it costs
>>> you nothing.
>>
>> Perfect? No, rather sad taken out-of-context analogy.
>>
>> Game has been around for a while, writer and manufacturer have
>> received their compensation. Due to newer titles and features,
>> game is not as profitable as before. They make the game code
>> available to the FOSS community, for maintenance and permision to
>> distro.
>>
>> This is legal, whereas theft of software is not.
>>
>>> "With it being released, it would not surprise me that this
>>> little encumbrance will be overcome."
>>>
>>> You should be ashamed of yourself.
>>
>> Replying to your moronic insults? Yes.
>
> HPT, you're wasting your time and bandwidth on this scum.

You are correct. One can put the truth underneath HQ's nose and he
will deny it, which I did. Then he does his selective snippages and
continues his moronic rants. After several attempts, it is just not
worth it.

--
HPT

Hadron

Sep 14, 2008, 6:00:16 AM9/14/08

You are now denying you were advocating theft?

Laughable.

Stop telling lies and maybe, just maybe, you will go to heaven.

--
"I would assume her children might like to know where their mother is and
have a place to *visit* her."

High Plains Thumper

Sep 14, 2008, 9:32:45 AM9/14/08
Hadron wrote:
> High Plains Thumper writes:
>
>> You are correct. One can put the truth underneath HQ's nose
>> and he will deny it, which I did. Then he does his
>> selective snippages and continues his moronic rants. After
>> several attempts, it is just not worth it.
>
> You are now denying you were advocating theft? Laughable.
> Stop telling lies and maybe, just maybe, you will go to
> heaven.

I know I will go, but will you?

--
HPT
“Most assuredly I tell you, he who hears my word, and believes

Linonut

Sep 14, 2008, 9:48:49 AM9/14/08

>> Then it's a win for both!
>>
>> And no need for a code-escrow agreement (not that it matters much for
>> games).
>
> The Microsoft shills keep spinning. Did Fukenbuch [sic] morph into Tim's nym?

Maybe Erik decided that "if you can't say something nice, don't say
anything at all."

--
I do not patronize poor, ill educated, or disenfranchised people by
exempting them from the same critical examination I feel free to

Linonut

Sep 14, 2008, 9:55:55 AM9/14/08
* High Plains Thumper peremptorily fired off this memo:

> You are correct. One can put the truth underneath HQ's nose and he
> will deny it, which I did. Then he does his selective snippages and
> continues his moronic rants. After several attempts, it is just not
> worth it.

Hadrone claims to use Linux and to /love/ it. Yet he approaches almost
all discussion of it from a perverse and angry perspective. One example
is his discussion of the complexity of installing the NVidia video
binary using the Debian system.

He tags it as being complex, which it is. But rather than then noting
that it has to be that way because of working a binary installation
mechanism that requires compiling source code against the code for the
existing kernel, which in turn requires keeping the Debian
infrastructure up-to-date, he simply decries it as being silly.

Ignorance or malice? Either way, it is insolent and self-important to
categorically (and wrong-headedly) denigrate a Linux component in a
Linux newsgroup.

And that's just one of Hadrone's faults.

For someone who claims to be a Linux advocate, he generates precious
little positive discussion of it.

--
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."
-- Will Rogers

William Poaster

Sep 14, 2008, 10:13:27 AM9/14/08

Quack wouldn't know the truth if it bit him on the ass.
He's got Narcissistic Personality Disorder, consequently is arrogant &
self-opinionated to the point where *everyone* else is wrong & *only* he
is right!

No wonder he's ignored in so many groups.

--
Did you know?
Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

Hadron

Sep 14, 2008, 10:45:47 AM9/14/08
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

> * High Plains Thumper peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> You are correct. One can put the truth underneath HQ's nose and he
>> will deny it, which I did. Then he does his selective snippages and
>> continues his moronic rants. After several attempts, it is just not
>> worth it.
>
> Hadrone claims to use Linux and to /love/ it. Yet he approaches almost
> all discussion of it from a perverse and angry perspective. One example
> is his discussion of the complexity of installing the NVidia video
> binary using the Debian system.
>
> He tags it as being complex, which it is.

Uh huh.

> But rather than then noting
> that it has to be that way because of working a binary installation
> mechanism that requires compiling source code against the code for the
> existing kernel, which in turn requires keeping the Debian
> infrastructure up-to-date, he simply decries it as being silly.

No you idiot. I label it as silly when YOU advise people to use the
nvidia-installer and potentially wreck their systems.

I ALSO tag it as stupid that you must still run the magic commands
yourself when the kernel image changes.

> Ignorance or malice? Either way, it is insolent and self-important to
> categorically (and wrong-headedly) denigrate a Linux component in a
> Linux newsgroup.

I gave the correct way.

You were advocating beginners compiling their own kernels (again the
wrong way) and risking compromising their systems while acting as root.

> And that's just one of Hadrone's faults.
>
> For someone who claims to be a Linux advocate, he generates precious
> little positive discussion of it.

Huh? I corrected your bullshit and posted links to information which
supported me and showed you up to be the ignorant idiot you are.

You are lying once again. Why?

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 14, 2008, 11:57:27 AM9/14/08
High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Hadron wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper writes:
>>
>>> You are correct. One can put the truth underneath HQ's nose
>>> and he will deny it, which I did. Then he does his
>>> selective snippages and continues his moronic rants. After
>>> several attempts, it is just not worth it.
>>
>> You are now denying you were advocating theft? Laughable.
>> Stop telling lies and maybe, just maybe, you will go to
>> heaven.
>
> I know I will go, but will you?

You need to read your Bible High Plains Thumper:

Lev 18:22-23 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female;
it is an abomination."

Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie
with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they
shall surely be put to death.

I wonder how God would feel about Roy "Racine" Schestowitz.
Now *that* is bound to perplex even the almighty God!

I'd lay in a large supply of asbestos underware if I were you.....

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
Please visit www.linsux.org

ml2mst

Sep 14, 2008, 12:10:17 PM9/14/08
High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Hadron wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper writes:
>>
>>> You are correct. One can put the truth underneath HQ's nose
>>> and he will deny it, which I did. Then he does his
>>> selective snippages and continues his moronic rants. After
>>> several attempts, it is just not worth it.
>>
>> You are now denying you were advocating theft? Laughable.
>> Stop telling lies and maybe, just maybe, you will go to
>> heaven.

As usual Quack's twisting someone's words again (in this case HPT's).

This is what I wrote:

[quote]

Beside that, there is already a openGL port of Heretic, with a
couple of interesting graphical extensions. Which makes the
game worth playing again. Of course you'll need the original
version for the iWAD file.

[/quote]

This is HPT's respond:

[quote]

With it being released, it would not surprise me that this little
encumbrance will be overcome.

[/quote]

Not *ONE* word about illegal iWADs.

For Doom, when it was freed under the GPL, a couple of ports where
implemented, of which PrBoom is the most popular one. To prevent players
from using illegal iWADs, a group of volunteers, named Team TNT
implemented a Free GPL iWAD, named FreeDOOM.

So there will probably a FreeHeretic/Hexen as well. Which is probably
what HPT was writing about.

> I know I will go, but will you?

Why should you go, is it your fault that Quack misinterprets everything
one writes?

Cheers

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
|0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

Hadron

Sep 14, 2008, 12:14:04 PM9/14/08
ml2mst <ml2...@gmail.com> writes:

You are joking?

So you NEED the original (ie pay for it) to get the WADs. Now High
Plains Hypocrite sees this little encumbrance being "overcome".

1+1 is 2 Marti my little sweetie. Not 3.

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 14, 2008, 12:21:19 PM9/14/08
Linonut wrote:

> Hadrone claims to use Linux and to /love/ it. Yet he approaches
> almost
> all discussion of it from a perverse and angry perspective. One
> example is his discussion of the complexity of installing the NVidia
> video binary using the Debian system.

He seems to know a hell of a lot more about Linux than most of the
drones in this group.
And you, Liarmutt are the one would was made an ass of in the Nvidia
thread, not Hadron.
You try to re-write history all the time, but it won't work.

ml2mst

Sep 14, 2008, 12:33:18 PM9/14/08
Linonut wrote:

> * High Plains Thumper peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> You are correct. One can put the truth underneath HQ's nose and he
>> will deny it, which I did. Then he does his selective snippages and
>> continues his moronic rants. After several attempts, it is just not
>> worth it.
>
> Hadrone claims to use Linux and to /love/ it. Yet he approaches almost
> all discussion of it from a perverse and angry perspective. One example
> is his discussion of the complexity of installing the NVidia video
> binary using the Debian system.
>
> He tags it as being complex, which it is. But rather than then noting
> that it has to be that way because of working a binary installation
> mechanism that requires compiling source code against the code for the
> existing kernel, which in turn requires keeping the Debian
> infrastructure up-to-date, he simply decries it as being silly.

It's not that complex to install the Nivida proprietary blob driver at
all. I did it a couple of years ago, while I was using SuSE 9.2 and
wasn't aware of thefact, that I could simply obtain it by using YOU
(Yast Online Update). So this is what I did:

* download the driver from the Nvidia website (a .run file);
* chmod +x nvidia-blob-driver.run;
* run nvdidia-blob-driver.run;
* follow the instructions;
* reboot;
* change the Xconfig using Sax2 (SuSE Advanced X configuration);
* restart X;
* open mouth (saying ooooh), being astounded how the blob driver speeds
up the entire KDE environment.

On Debian of course Sax is missing. Envey however is a good alternative.

> Ignorance or malice? Either way, it is insolent and self-important to
> categorically (and wrong-headedly) denigrate a Linux component in a
> Linux newsgroup.
>
> And that's just one of Hadrone's faults.
>
> For someone who claims to be a Linux advocate, he generates precious
> little positive discussion of it.

Hadron

Sep 14, 2008, 12:39:09 PM9/14/08
ml2mst <ml2...@gmail.com> writes:

> Linonut wrote:
>
>> * High Plains Thumper peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> You are correct. One can put the truth underneath HQ's nose and he
>>> will deny it, which I did. Then he does his selective snippages and
>>> continues his moronic rants. After several attempts, it is just not
>>> worth it.
>>
>> Hadrone claims to use Linux and to /love/ it. Yet he approaches almost
>> all discussion of it from a perverse and angry perspective. One example
>> is his discussion of the complexity of installing the NVidia video
>> binary using the Debian system.
>>
>> He tags it as being complex, which it is. But rather than then noting
>> that it has to be that way because of working a binary installation
>> mechanism that requires compiling source code against the code for the
>> existing kernel, which in turn requires keeping the Debian
>> infrastructure up-to-date, he simply decries it as being silly.
>
> It's not that complex to install the Nivida proprietary blob driver at
> all. I did it a couple of years ago, while I was using SuSE 9.2 and
> wasn't aware of thefact, that I could simply obtain it by using YOU
> (Yast Online Update). So this is what I did:
>
> * download the driver from the Nvidia website (a .run file);
> * chmod +x nvidia-blob-driver.run;

No need to do that and potentially dangerous later.

> * run nvdidia-blob-driver.run;
> * follow the instructions;

Please expand on these "instructions" ....

> * reboot;
> * change the Xconfig using Sax2 (SuSE Advanced X configuration);
> * restart X;
> * open mouth (saying ooooh), being astounded how the blob driver
> speeds up the entire KDE environment.

Sounds more complicated than Ubuntu and Debian put together. And what
this has to do with either is quite beyond me.

> On Debian of course Sax is missing. Envey however is a good
> alternative.

And of course Debian recommend against using it. Do try to keep up. You
are as clueless about it as Liarmutt.

Envy too. jesus H Christ. it's like to trying to explain astro physics
to a couple of monkeys at their sunday tea party.

Debian specifically RECOMMEND AGAINST USING THE NVIDIA DRIVER
INSTALLER. It is prone to screwing machines up. It is also harder to
replace the driver when the kernel is upgraded.

Streuth. Would you PLEASE get a clue and stop posting half truths and
out and out lies?!?!?!?!?!?

>> Ignorance or malice? Either way, it is insolent and self-important to
>> categorically (and wrong-headedly) denigrate a Linux component in a
>> Linux newsgroup.
>>
>> And that's just one of Hadrone's faults.
>>
>> For someone who claims to be a Linux advocate, he generates precious
>> little positive discussion of it.

And yet you are still to acknowlegde that you were wrong and I was right
in the advice on how to install the nvidia driver in Debian.

I do not expect you to do so anytime soon.

The bottom line is this : yet again I am right about something and the
COLA "advocates" are wrong. Rather than be men about it and say "Yes,
you are right" you further try to character assassinate me and stick to
giving the wrong advice despite it potentially hosing someones
machine. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Moshe, anyone -- do you follow what I am saying here? Is it just me that
sees the crap these guys are posting?!?!?!

--
XP can't be selling well, or we'd have the wintrolls crowing about it all
over the advocacy newsgroups.

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 14, 2008, 1:04:21 PM9/14/08
Hadron wrote:

As you say Hadron it's a big mistake to do that.
I hosed my Ubuntu system doing that while trying to get dual monitors
to work.

>> * run nvdidia-blob-driver.run;
>> * follow the instructions;
>
> Please expand on these "instructions" ....

They go on for pages.....
A real mess.

>> * reboot;
>> * change the Xconfig using Sax2 (SuSE Advanced X configuration);
>> * restart X;
>> * open mouth (saying ooooh), being astounded how the blob driver
>> speeds up the entire KDE environment.
>
> Sounds more complicated than Ubuntu and Debian put together. And
> what this has to do with either is quite beyond me.

They are blowing smoke....

>> On Debian of course Sax is missing. Envey however is a good
>> alternative.
>
> And of course Debian recommend against using it. Do try to keep up.
> You are as clueless about it as Liarmutt.

Envy is a horrible method to use, at least with Ubuntu.
It got most things wrong on my system.

> Envy too. jesus H Christ. it's like to trying to explain astro
> physics to a couple of monkeys at their sunday tea party.
>
> Debian specifically RECOMMEND AGAINST USING THE NVIDIA DRIVER
> INSTALLER. It is prone to screwing machines up. It is also harder to
> replace the driver when the kernel is upgraded.

I can attest to that.
I tried everything to get a proper xorg.conf file with Ubuntu.
Fortunately I know how to backup the original file which at least put
a raster on the screen albeit at a low res and wrong refresh rates.
IOW I was able to go to recovery mode and copy things back after the
various methods I tried munged the system.

> Streuth. Would you PLEASE get a clue and stop posting half truths
> and out and out lies?!?!?!?!?!?

They are trying to cloud the issue and re-write history by making
false and confusing statements.
They are hoping the rest of the Linux Mafia will join in and back them
up.
Which they of course will/are.

>>> Ignorance or malice? Either way, it is insolent and
>>> self-important to categorically (and wrong-headedly) denigrate a
>>> Linux component in a Linux newsgroup.
>>>
>>> And that's just one of Hadrone's faults.
>>>
>>> For someone who claims to be a Linux advocate, he generates
>>> precious little positive discussion of it.
>
> And yet you are still to acknowlegde that you were wrong and I was
> right in the advice on how to install the nvidia driver in Debian.

You solved my problem with dual monitors, Nvidia and Ubuntu.

That's a hell of a lot more than can be said for all the wrong,
outdated and potentially dangerous (to the system) webpages I had
been googling up.

> I do not expect you to do so anytime soon.

Of course they won't.

I glued and screwed LiarMutt to the wall in at least 2 threads after
which he promptly went back to the old LiarMutt.

IOW the ass kissing Roy Schestowitz puppy dog.

> The bottom line is this : yet again I am right about something and
> the COLA "advocates" are wrong. Rather than be men about it and say
> "Yes, you are right" you further try to character assassinate me and
> stick to giving the wrong advice despite it potentially hosing
> someones machine. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

It's a very well known tactic in COLA.
Blow smoke and never admit you are wrong.

> Moshe, anyone -- do you follow what I am saying here? Is it just me
> that sees the crap these guys are posting?!?!?!

I see it.
Eveyone in this group sees it.

The Linux loons will never admit it though......

It's just like they all know Roy Schestowitz is being paid to post
here and other places and they all know full well he has automated
the process.
They will never admit it though.

That is why reasonable discussion in COLA is impossible.
I've talked to people on the Ubuntu groups when I was asking for help
for various things because I am new to gnome and Ubuntu and I got
reasonable replies offering help.

COLA?

It's nothing more than a septic tank and it will always be a septic
tank as long as people LIE for LIEnux.

chrisv

Sep 14, 2008, 5:41:14 PM9/14/08
Linonut wrote:

>Hadrone

8)

>For someone who claims to be a Linux advocate,

He lies. Constantly.

Gregory Shearman

Sep 14, 2008, 6:56:33 PM9/14/08

On Gentoo this is the process:

GentooPenguin# emerge nvidia-drivers

If you want to install the ATI blob instead:

GentooPenguin# emerge ati-drivers

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Hadron

Sep 14, 2008, 7:00:53 PM9/14/08
Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> writes:

Yes. Thats nice. But we were talking about Debian.

--
"Are Linux systems perfect. Uh, no."
-- Rick <no...@nomail.com> in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 14, 2008, 7:27:40 PM9/14/08

It's the distribution switcher-roo....

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Please Visit www.linsux.org

Linonut

Sep 14, 2008, 9:13:32 PM9/14/08
* Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

> On Gentoo this is the process:
>
> GentooPenguin# emerge nvidia-drivers
>
> If you want to install the ATI blob instead:
>
> GentooPenguin# emerge ati-drivers

Pretty much confirms what I said. Integrating a source-based install
from a third party is more difficult in Debian than in Gentoo, because
Gentoo's basic mode of installation is to install source.

The SuSE install Marti mentioned is also pretty easy.

--
Your computer account is overdrawn. Please see Big Brother.

Linonut

Sep 14, 2008, 9:18:09 PM9/14/08
* chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Linonut wrote:
>
>>Hadrone
>
> 8)
>
>>For someone who claims to be a Linux advocate,
>
> He lies. Constantly.

Oh, no doubt about it. His confabulations are getting ever more
amazing.

>>he generates precious
>>little positive discussion of it.

His latest "Linonut boner" is claiming I told "n00bs" to do a
source-based install using the NVidia installer.

Hadron is insanely jealous of us here, I think. Why, I don't know.

You think if we were as bad as he says, he would go elsewhere. Yet here
he is, like an unwanted dog at a cocktail party, sticking his nose into
everybody's crotch, hoping for a pat.

--
You are always doing something marginal when the boss drops by your desk.

ml2mst

Sep 14, 2008, 9:34:42 PM9/14/08
Gregory Shearman wrote:

Interesting, yet Gentoo is considered to be
one of the more "hard" distros.

I bet, the only thing one has to do under Debian is fire up Synaptics,
search for the damn thing ("nvidia"), select it in the list after the
search and click apply.

BTW if Debian is too complicated for him, then why didn't he just simply
stick to Ubuntu?

Hadron simply wants it to look more complicated than it actually is.
What is that called: anti-advocacy or contra-advocacy?

Cheers

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 14, 2008, 10:25:25 PM9/14/08
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:13:32 -0400, Linonut wrote:

> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> On Gentoo this is the process:
>>
>> GentooPenguin# emerge nvidia-drivers
>>
>> If you want to install the ATI blob instead:
>>
>> GentooPenguin# emerge ati-drivers
>
> Pretty much confirms what I said. Integrating a source-based install
> from a third party is more difficult in Debian than in Gentoo, because
> Gentoo's basic mode of installation is to install source.

No it doesn't......
You made an ass out of yourself LiarMutt and now you are trying to re-write
history..
Sorry it doesn't work that way...

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 14, 2008, 10:28:26 PM9/14/08

If you follow the directions, to the letter, it is actually quite easy.
I did a quasi stage 2 install with zero problems.

Pay very close attention to the paths when you generate directories etc.
One missed / will doom you.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 14, 2008, 10:30:18 PM9/14/08
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> Hadron wrote:
>>
>>> You are now denying you were advocating theft? Laughable.
>>> Stop telling lies and maybe, just maybe, you will go to
>>> heaven.
>>
>> I know I will go, but will you?
>
> You need to read your Bible High Plains Thumper:
>
> Lev 18:22-23 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a
> female; it is an abomination."
>
> Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who
> lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable
> act; they shall surely be put to death.
>
> I wonder how God would feel about Roy "Racine" Schestowitz.
> Now *that* is bound to perplex even the almighty God!
>
> I'd lay in a large supply of asbestos underware if I were
> you.....

OTOH, this troll needs to read further for it states:

Exodus 20:16 “You shall not give false testimony against your
neighbor." - World English Bible (public domain)

Exodus 23:1 “You shall not spread a false report. Don’t join your
hand with the wicked to be a malicious witness." - World English
Bible (public domain)

Per http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

This newsgroup is "For discussion of the benefits of Linux
compared to other operating systems." (Paragraph 1.4)

Discussions slandering advocates who post favourably toward
Linux and sometimes disfavourably of the competition with false
accusations of homosexual acts are not discussions of the
benefits of Linux.

--
HPT
Galatians 6:7 "Don’t be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever

ml2mst

Sep 14, 2008, 10:48:50 PM9/14/08
High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> Does he think this code was written under the GPL and given
>> away for free from day one?

>> Is he aware that High Plains Hypocrite is advocating pirating
>> the data files in order to play for free and compensate the
>> authors not at all?
>>
>> Amazing lack of morals the COLA "advocates" have.

Not at all. HPT didn't even suggest to use pirated versions (see former
respond).

Beside the fact, that there will probably be a Free iWAD, there is also
an el cheapo compilation:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/towers-of-darkness-heretic-hexen-beyond

I for one payed lousy EUR 10 for a fully legal version and beside that,
it's legal to use the shareware iWADs (which only contain the first
episode of each game).

Beside that all iWADs for the DOOM series, Heretic and Hexen are
available from the Pirate bay and thus illegally used by thousands of
Windows users. But we don't hear Hadron complain about that.

And that POS has the nerve to call someone else a Hypocrit --hilarious!

> Lie. My reply to your earlier post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/7d4533ba28cbc264?
>
> Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:37:18 -0600
>
> [quote]

> Hadron wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper writes:

>>> That I can understand, hence why all the EULA's and software
>>> pirating protection schemes.

>> And here we have a perfect example of "lets play someones game
>> (hard work and investment) for free". "free" as in - it costs
>> you nothing.
>
> Perfect? No, rather sad taken out-of-context analogy.
>
> Game has been around for a while, writer and manufacturer have
> received their compensation. Due to newer titles and features,
> game is not as profitable as before. They make the game code

> available to the FOSS community, for maintenance and permission to distro.

> This is legal, whereas theft of software is not.
>

>> "With it being released, it would not surprise me that this little
>> encumbrance will be overcome."
>>

>> You should be ashamed of yourself.
>
> Replying to your moronic insults? Yes.

> [/quote]
>
> Not only does your post disrespect my nym, your post is devoid of
> ethical content.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 14, 2008, 10:57:18 PM9/14/08
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:30:18 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote:

>>> I know I will go, but will you?
>>
>> You need to read your Bible High Plains Thumper:
>>
>> Lev 18:22-23 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a
>> female; it is an abomination."
>>
>> Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who
>> lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable
>> act; they shall surely be put to death.
>>
>> I wonder how God would feel about Roy "Racine" Schestowitz.
>> Now *that* is bound to perplex even the almighty God!
>>
>> I'd lay in a large supply of asbestos underware if I were
>> you.....
>
> OTOH, this troll needs to read further for it states:
>
> Exodus 20:16 “You shall not give false testimony against your
> neighbor." - World English Bible (public domain)

You being gay is no surprise to anyone.
Not false in any way.
You had better check your posting history.
All of it..............

> Exodus 23:1 “You shall not spread a false report. Don’t join your
> hand with the wicked to be a malicious witness." - World English
> Bible (public domain)

Better talk to Schestowtiz....

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Please Visit www.linsux.org

Tom Shelton

Sep 14, 2008, 11:38:37 PM9/14/08

Only the installation and setup. Maintenance and Installing software is a
breeze.

--
Tom Shelton

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 15, 2008, 12:18:00 AM9/15/08

Installation and setup is a breeze as well as long as you follow the docs,
WORD FOR WORD...

Hadron

Sep 15, 2008, 2:20:05 AM9/15/08
ml2mst <ml2...@gmail.com> writes:

And this one thing would change that? Are you as simple as you pretend?

> I bet, the only thing one has to do under Debian is fire up Synaptics,
> search for the damn thing ("nvidia"), select it in the list after the
> search and click apply.

How much would you like to bet? Do you even KNOW what we are discussing?

> BTW if Debian is too complicated for him, then why didn't he just
> simply stick to Ubuntu?

WTF?!?!?!? I am correcting Liarnut who is even compiling kernels to big
himself up!!!! I am trying here to save people from hosing their
machines. Nowhere did I say anything is "too complicated".

> Hadron simply wants it to look more complicated than it actually
> is. What is that called: anti-advocacy or contra-advocacy?

Its called telling the truth and being realistic. Try it some time. Did
you even look at ANY of the links posted?

--
"I hate Linux and Linux advocacy <click> I hate Linux and Linux
advocacy <click> I hate Linux and Linux advocacy <click> "

Hadron

Sep 15, 2008, 2:21:30 AM9/15/08
ml2mst <ml2...@gmail.com> writes:

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> Hadron wrote:
>>
>>> Does he think this code was written under the GPL and given
>>> away for free from day one?
>

>>> Is he aware that High Plains Hypocrite is advocating pirating
>>> the data files in order to play for free and compensate the
>>> authors not at all?
>>>
>>> Amazing lack of morals the COLA "advocates" have.
>
> Not at all. HPT didn't even suggest to use pirated versions (see
> former respond).

Yes he did.

> Beside the fact, that there will probably be a Free iWAD, there is

Yes, that "paying for" inconvenience "overcome" eh?

Aha!

Hadron

Sep 15, 2008, 2:23:53 AM9/15/08
"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:13:32 -0400, Linonut wrote:
>
>> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> On Gentoo this is the process:
>>>
>>> GentooPenguin# emerge nvidia-drivers
>>>
>>> If you want to install the ATI blob instead:
>>>
>>> GentooPenguin# emerge ati-drivers
>>
>> Pretty much confirms what I said. Integrating a source-based install
>> from a third party is more difficult in Debian than in Gentoo, because
>> Gentoo's basic mode of installation is to install source.
>
> No it doesn't......
> You made an ass out of yourself LiarMutt and now you are trying to re-write
> history..
> Sorry it doesn't work that way...

I can not believe he tried to slime out of it like that. "To install
source". LOL. What an arse.

Not knowing Gentoo, I dont even know if the drivers Shearman mentions
above are even the same ones we are discussing (closed source).

It would appear Liarmutt is trying AGAIN to big himself up discussing
things he knows nothing about. In this case he is hinting that somehow,
just somehow, Gentoo has all the source for the NVidia drivers and they
"just work". He seems to forget people are watching and are not as
easily fooled as he would like to think.

--
"You're a condescending, arrogant asshole, Quack."
-- Tattoo Vampire <sit...@this.computer> in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, comp.os.linux.advocacy

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 15, 2008, 3:01:07 AM9/15/08

ml2mst

Sep 15, 2008, 3:10:43 AM9/15/08
Tom Shelton wrote:

Thanks, you made me taking a quick look at the Gentoo Handbook and it
looks like fun ;-)

I'm familiar with partitioning, creating file systems, activating swap,
configuring an compiling the kernel manually.

I've had some fun with MINIX3 and FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p2. So Gentoo
shouldn't be all that complicated.

Thanks for introducing me, I'll fool around with Gentoo this week ;-)

Hadron

Sep 15, 2008, 3:23:33 AM9/15/08
ml2mst <ml2...@gmail.com> writes:

You see the thing is Marti, and without wanting to embarrass you
further, when you say in the same breath that you "can activate swap"
and can "compile the kernel manually" you sound like a clueless fan
boy. Are you familiar with "ls" too?

> I've had some fun with MINIX3 and FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p2. So Gentoo
> shouldn't be all that complicated.

What should it be any different from the other Linux distros?

> Thanks for introducing me, I'll fool around with Gentoo this week ;-)

Don't forget to wash your hands before and after.

--
- "Just think, consumers are not sold on XP, and Microsoft shelled out
some major $$$ to develop this thing. This is a great opportunity for

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 15, 2008, 3:31:20 AM9/15/08

When it works it works well.
When it doesn't, it's a nightmare.
And yes, unlike you I have actually used Gentoo.
Stage two....

> Have the Munchkins actually tried to install XP or Vista _from scratch_?

Candy....

Boot and go.

Tim Smith

Sep 15, 2008, 6:36:25 AM9/15/08
In article <2067621.P...@schestowitz.com>,

Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> Have the Munchkins actually tried to install XP or Vista _from scratch_?

Large numbers of non-technical people have installed XP or Vista from
scratch. Many Mac users, for example, have done so under Parallels or
VMWare Fusion, or using Bootcamp.

--
--Tim Smith

Linonut

Sep 15, 2008, 7:11:45 AM9/15/08

Doesn't that, by definition, make them non-"non-technical"?

--
Take a lesson from the whale; the only time he gets speared is when he
raises to spout.

Gregory Shearman

Sep 15, 2008, 7:32:46 AM9/15/08
On 2008-09-15, ml2mst <ml2...@gmail.com> wrote:

"Considered" is a misnomer. Gentoo is not a "hard" distribution to use.
You learn about your system while putting it together (installing). Any
problems that later occur are easily diagnosed and fixed because of your
knowledge of the system.

> I bet, the only thing one has to do under Debian is fire up Synaptics,
> search for the damn thing ("nvidia"), select it in the list after the
> search and click apply.

I think Debian do it this way because of the "taint" of plugging a binary
blob in their "pure" kernel. Gentoo has no such pretentions,

> BTW if Debian is too complicated for him, then why didn't he just simply
> stick to Ubuntu?

Because then the troll would have nothing to complain about.

> Hadron simply wants it to look more complicated than it actually is.
> What is that called: anti-advocacy or contra-advocacy?

I'd call it a pain in the neck.

Hadron

Sep 15, 2008, 7:40:37 AM9/15/08
Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> writes:

To the unwary : Gregory is actually informing Marti he is wrong. For the
subject in hand that is. And that there are reasons (which I have not
disagreed with) as to why they make life so difficult. I have referred
to this situation as silly in the past.

>> BTW if Debian is too complicated for him, then why didn't he just simply
>> stick to Ubuntu?
>
> Because then the troll would have nothing to complain about.

What are you talking about?

Nowhere did I say it was too difficult. I said it was silly and a mess
and I warned people NOT to follow Liarmutt's advice in using the
nvidia-installer since they risk hosing their machines. I even provided
links. I *used* to go the nvidia way - and during a kernel change
nothing video would work anymore. I had to run p a full screen irc
channel connection and do a file by file purge and blacklist check etc
until I got rid of all NVidia stuff. I then stuck with the nvidia-glx
install provided by debian maintainers.

>> Hadron simply wants it to look more complicated than it actually is.
>> What is that called: anti-advocacy or contra-advocacy?
>
> I'd call it a pain in the neck.

It can be if your video breaks down on your expensive desktop. But then
you wouldn't be advocating that surely?

--
"<larsl> Are there any decent document editors that can open ODT files except
OpenOffice.org? oowriter is so unstable with large files that it would

Linonut

Sep 15, 2008, 7:50:05 AM9/15/08
* Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> BTW if Debian is too complicated for him, then why didn't he just simply
>> stick to Ubuntu?
>
> Because then the troll would have nothing to complain about.
>
>> Hadron simply wants it to look more complicated than it actually is.
>> What is that called: anti-advocacy or contra-advocacy?
>
> I'd call it a pain in the neck.

Hadrone uses his "Linux usage" as a sort of "credibility innoculation".

The problem is that his disease is too virulent, so his credibility is
shot all to hell anyway.

And, even if he actually put forth some knowledgeable discussion of
anything besides emacs, it would come with so much bile that the
discussion would degenerate quickly.

--
Al didn't smile for forty years. You've got to admire a man like that.
-- from "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman"

William Poaster

Sep 15, 2008, 7:54:57 AM9/15/08
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 03:34:42 +0200, ml2mst wrote:

Quackery!

--
Did you know?
Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.
He thought he was God, and she didn't.

Gregory Shearman

Sep 15, 2008, 7:58:41 AM9/15/08

Fun?

I thought that being a Gentoo admin was the definition of masochism. Or
so I've been told.

> I'm familiar with partitioning, creating file systems, activating swap,
> configuring an compiling the kernel manually.

That's good. I came to Gentoo from building my own Linux From Scratch
systems. LFS systems lack a good package manager though. Gentoo Portage
is one of the best package management systems I've come across.

> I've had some fun with MINIX3 and FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p2. So Gentoo
> shouldn't be all that complicated.

It's not. Just follow the cookbook. It teaches you along the way.

> Thanks for introducing me, I'll fool around with Gentoo this week ;-)

"Fool around"? You'll have to do more than that to get the full
experience. It takes a while to set a system up for what you want it to
do.

William Poaster

Sep 15, 2008, 8:04:43 AM9/15/08
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:50:05 -0400, Linonut wrote:

> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> BTW if Debian is too complicated for him, then why didn't he just simply
>>> stick to Ubuntu?
>>
>> Because then the troll would have nothing to complain about.
>>
>>> Hadron simply wants it to look more complicated than it actually is.
>>> What is that called: anti-advocacy or contra-advocacy?
>>
>> I'd call it a pain in the neck.
>
> Hadrone uses his "Linux usage" as a sort of "credibility innoculation".
>
> The problem is that his disease is too virulent, so his credibility is
> shot all to hell anyway.

Quack's credibility was shot with his first post. Since then, he's gone
downhill:

quack@idiots:~ $ sudo aptitude install ounce_of_credibility
bash:~$ aptitude: ounce_of_credibility not found.

> And, even if he actually put forth some knowledgeable discussion of
> anything besides emacs, it would come with so much bile that the
> discussion would degenerate quickly.

He drivelled questions in the emacs group, before moving his crap into the
SuSE usenet group & then Ubuntu.

Hadron

Sep 15, 2008, 8:37:19 AM9/15/08
William Poaster <w...@brunel.leafnode.amd64.eu> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:50:05 -0400, Linonut wrote:
>
>> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Because then the troll would have nothing to complain about.

>>> I'd call it a pain in the neck.
>>
>> Hadrone uses his "Linux usage" as a sort of "credibility innoculation".
>>
>> The problem is that his disease is too virulent, so his credibility is
>> shot all to hell anyway.
>
> Quack's credibility was shot with his first post.

No it wasn't. In fact I requoted High Plains Hypocrite.

> Since then, he's gone
> downhill:
>
> quack@idiots:~ $ sudo aptitude install ounce_of_credibility
> bash:~$ aptitude: ounce_of_credibility not found.

Err, right.

>> And, even if he actually put forth some knowledgeable discussion of
>> anything besides emacs, it would come with so much bile that the
>> discussion would degenerate quickly.

More lies from Liarmutt. Who was found to be as equally clueless about
Emacs as he is about most other things including the best way to install
video drivers in Debian.

> He drivelled questions in the emacs group, before moving his crap into the
> SuSE usenet group & then Ubuntu.

You're obsessed. I visit none of those groups anymore although I do
contribute to a few emacs libraries every now and again. What do YOU
contribute Willy "Barney suit" Poaster? Other than calls for pirating SW
to be made legal? You creepy, horrible little yes man.

--
"I've heard "Linux is the future!" for, let me see now, must about 17
years. For how long do I need to listen to that clap trap?"

High Plains Thumper

Sep 15, 2008, 9:14:46 AM9/15/08
Hadron wrote:

> William Poaster writes:
>
>> Quack's credibility was shot with his first post.
>
> No it wasn't. In fact I requoted High Plains Hypocrite.

Bingo! No facts and credibility is shot again .....

--
HPT

William Poaster

Sep 15, 2008, 9:23:20 AM9/15/08
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 03:34:42 +0200, ml2mst wrote:

Because Quack couldn't get that running properly, he claimed all kinds of
problems. Ubuntu, one of the *easiest* OSs to install, except for a troll.

ml2mst

Sep 15, 2008, 9:32:20 AM9/15/08
William Poaster wrote:

[snip]

>> Hadron simply wants it to look more complicated than it actually is.
>> What is that called: anti-advocacy or contra-advocacy?
>
> Quackery!

ROTFLMAO :-)

Linonut

Sep 15, 2008, 9:42:45 AM9/15/08
* High Plains Thumper peremptorily fired off this memo:

I remember the first time I encountered Hadrone here. He said
something, I posted a fairly innocuous retort, and he immediately
plonked me (or claimed to).

Something was up with that boy from the git-go.

--
I would like to electrocute everyone who uses the word 'fair' in connection
with income tax policies.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 15, 2008, 1:29:50 PM9/15/08
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:37:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> More lies from Liarmutt. Who was found to be as equally clueless about
> Emacs as he is about most other things including the best way to install
> video drivers in Debian.

How true.
LiarMutt is on a campaign to discredit all who have bitch slapped him in
various technical threads.
He really doesn't seem to be too swift.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 19, 2008, 3:39:09 AM9/19/08
Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
> You being gay is no surprise to anyone. Not false in any way.
> You had better check your posting history. All of
> it..............

Lie. Libelous. Mention of false postings, implications of nym
stealing. Good reason to seek legal council to effect release of
registration information from Motzarella.org, other associations.
Recommend those similarly libeled to do the same.

>> Exodus 23:1 “You shall not spread a false report. Don’t join
>> your hand with the wicked to be a malicious witness." -
>> World English Bible (public domain)
>
> Better talk to Schestowtiz....
>

>> Per http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
>>
>> This newsgroup is "For discussion of the benefits of Linux
>> compared to other operating systems." (Paragraph 1.4)
>>
>> Discussions slandering advocates who post favourably toward
>> Linux and sometimes disfavourably of the competition with
>> false accusations of homosexual acts are not discussions of
>> the benefits of Linux.

Game's over. Roy, recommend contacting legal counsel through
your Linux organisational / corporate associates, to effect
release of legal info on this troll. Recommend advocates doing
the same.

I will contact my friends in high places.

--
HPT

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 19, 2008, 8:15:40 AM9/19/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>
>> You being gay is no surprise to anyone. Not false in any way.
>> You had better check your posting history. All of
>> it..............
>
> Lie. Libelous. Mention of false postings, implications of nym
> stealing. Good reason to seek legal council to effect release of
> registration information from Motzarella.org, other associations.
> Recommend those similarly libeled to do the same.
>

> Game's over. Roy, recommend contacting legal counsel through
> your Linux organisational / corporate associates, to effect
> release of legal info on this troll. Recommend advocates doing
> the same.
>
> I will contact my friends in high places.

I'd let Moshe out of the kf for awhile to see if a previous posters
claim of squashing him held any water. It did not.

My guess is you're also blowing smoke.

In any case, I will say that I'm not in favor of netkopping. Libel is
different, but that's a whole-nuther order of magnitude of proof.

--
I went home with a waitress, The way I always do.
How I was I to know? She was with the Russians too.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 19, 2008, 9:56:21 AM9/19/08
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> High Plains Thumper belched:

>> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
>>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>>
>>> You being gay is no surprise to anyone. Not false in any
>>> way. You had better check your posting history. All of
>>> it..............
>>
>> Lie. Libelous. Mention of false postings, implications of
>> nym stealing. Good reason to seek legal council to effect
>> release of registration information from Motzarella.org,
>> other associations. Recommend those similarly libeled to do
>> the same.
>>
>> Game's over. Roy, recommend contacting legal counsel
>> through your Linux organisational / corporate associates, to
>> effect release of legal info on this troll. Recommend
>> advocates doing the same.
>>
>> I will contact my friends in high places.
>
> I'd let Moshe out of the kf for awhile to see if a previous
> posters claim of squashing him held any water. It did not.
>
> My guess is you're also blowing smoke.
>
> In any case, I will say that I'm not in favor of netkopping.
> Libel is different, but that's a whole-nuther order of
> magnitude of proof.

Does not sound like the Linonut I know. Another nymshifter:
<lin...@bollsouth.nut>

So, it is perfectly okay for another to libel, and wrong to
address it.

You wintrolls are amazing.

--
HPT

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 19, 2008, 11:17:26 AM9/19/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper belched:
>>>

>>> I will contact my friends in high places.
>>
>> I'd let Moshe out of the kf for awhile to see if a previous
>> posters claim of squashing him held any water. It did not.
>>
>> My guess is you're also blowing smoke.
>>
>> In any case, I will say that I'm not in favor of netkopping.
>> Libel is different, but that's a whole-nuther order of
>> magnitude of proof.
>
> Does not sound like the Linonut I know. Another nymshifter:
> <lin...@bollsouth.nut>

I assure you, I am the poster formerly known as Linonut.

Never said that. Read again:

>> In any case, I will say that I'm not in favor of netkopping.
>> Libel is different, but that's a whole-nuther order of
>> magnitude of proof.

Making a libel charge on Usenet is one thing, making it stick in court
is completely another. Even getting a poster banned by the ISP is
difficult (I hope).

> You wintrolls are amazing.

Use the Force, HPT. I am the Linonut. You know this to be true.
<grin>

You'll have to convince that you're not just blowing smoke about doing
something about the awful posting that goes on in regard to Roy and
others.

--
I just know I'm a better manager when I have Joe DiMaggio in center field.
-- Casey Stengel

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 19, 2008, 11:28:36 AM9/19/08

You're going off the rails again HPT.
Why not take the thumper out for a nice ride in the desert and clear the
cobwebs out of your brain...

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 19, 2008, 1:21:55 PM9/19/08

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 19, 2008, 1:35:27 PM9/19/08

> Anyway, watch this:
>
> http://www.billparish.com/msbargraph699.gif
>
> Interesting times ahead.

That's, like, 8 years old, dude.

--
Everything takes longer, costs more, and is less useful.
-- Erwin Tomash

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 19, 2008, 2:16:28 PM9/19/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:35:27 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Anyway, watch this:
>>
>> http://www.billparish.com/msbargraph699.gif
>>
>> Interesting times ahead.
>
> That's, like, 8 years old, dude.

Like I was saying......................

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 20, 2008, 6:13:57 AM9/20/08

Hadron

Sep 20, 2008, 6:23:26 AM9/20/08
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

> ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Friday 19 September 2008 17:35 : \____
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> Anyway, watch this:
>>>
>>> http://www.billparish.com/msbargraph699.gif
>>>
>>> Interesting times ahead.
>>
>> That's, like, 8 years old, dude.
>
> Pre-bubble. Couldn't have improved, could it?

I find it worrying that you post links to such garbage. You need to see
a shrink. You are fast becoming a total and utter laughing stock as
opposed to an interesting specimen.

--
XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 20, 2008, 10:30:09 AM9/20/08
Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> So, it is perfectly okay for another to libel, and wrong to
>> address it.
>>
>> You wintrolls are amazing.
>
> You're [flat-trash snipped]

Per http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

This newsgroup is "For discussion of the benefits of Linux
compared to other operating systems." (Paragraph 1.4)

Discussions slandering advocates who post favourably toward
Linux and sometimes disfavourably of the competition with false
accusations of homosexual acts are not discussions of the
benefits of Linux.

--
HPT

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 21, 2008, 6:45:09 AM9/21/08

Hadron

Sep 21, 2008, 6:55:57 AM9/21/08
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

> ____/ ml2mst on Monday 15 September 2008 13:32 : \____
>
>> William Poaster wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> Quackery!
>>
>> ROTFLMAO :-)
>
> A good start would be to do some advocacy on the ground. Handing out CDs can
> help. LiveCD+partitioner (e.g. Ubuntu) would make a good start. It's
> good to

Handing out CDs is a disaster. People get them and screw up with
them. Pure and simple. Its like the fat bearded guy in the high street
trying to convert you to Christianity. All that happens is that kids
gather round and poke him with a stick.

> have them _at least_ put it on the shelf, so the next time Windows disappoints
> or crashes, frustration and anger will lead them to trying 'that other thing',
> which in turn they teach a friend or family (network effect).

Please stop explaining the simplest of things. Not even High Plains
Hypocrite is unaware of "network effect".

--
"Well we know Quack is an inveterate liar & troll with no credibility, so
you cannot take *anything* he says as being true."

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 21, 2008, 11:59:09 AM9/21/08
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:55:57 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:
>
>> ____/ ml2mst on Monday 15 September 2008 13:32 : \____
>>
>>> William Poaster wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> ROTFLMAO :-)
>>
>> A good start would be to do some advocacy on the ground. Handing out CDs can
>> help. LiveCD+partitioner (e.g. Ubuntu) would make a good start. It's
>> good to
>
> Handing out CDs is a disaster. People get them and screw up with
> them. Pure and simple. Its like the fat bearded guy in the high street
> trying to convert you to Christianity. All that happens is that kids
> gather round and poke him with a stick.

You also have to make sure you don't show up at the same storefront next
week because someone is bound to recognize you and start yelling "there's
that freak who gave me the CD with the virus on it that destroyed my
system"
"Let's get him" !