Linux netbooks still the most popular at Office Works

Terry Porter

Dec 14, 2008, 3:44:11 PM12/14/08
Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.

They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.

I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?

You'd have to have more cash than brains to choose the lacklustre 7 year
old XP POS, over a modern up to date Linux distribution that includes
Open Office, Firefox web browser, movie and picture viewers etc.

The Linux unit is PACKED with features, in a easy to use GUI.

Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing their
teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".

Ignore them, they are sad trolls living in the past, sitting on their fat
unemployed arses in the present, hoping for a happy life tomorrow.

indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

Clogwog

Dec 14, 2008, 4:12:36 PM12/14/08
"Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> schreef in bericht

> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
> wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.

One of your $100 *friends*, I bet!

> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>
> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
> an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?
>
> You'd have to have more cash than brains to choose the lacklustre 7 year
> old XP POS, over a modern up to date Linux distribution that includes
> Open Office, Firefox web browser, movie and picture viewers etc.
>
> The Linux unit is PACKED with features, in a easy to use GUI.

3 browsers, 5 + texteditors, 4 crappy mediaplayers, no MP3 out of the box,
crapware with funny names nobody ever heard of.
"easy to use" lol ! , nagging them for a password on numerous occasions. At
random crashes see DFS's posts in COLA.

> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
> and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing their
> teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".
>
> Ignore them, they are sad trolls living in the past, sitting on their fat
> unemployed arses in the present, hoping for a happy life tomorrow.

I must protest here!, I'm unemployed, yes, I'm living off my private means
and I have no fat arse!, you trolltard cunt!
--
Terry Porter's "classic" *cockups* :
<Terry Porter: "not the sharpest knife in the drawer, he's more like a bent
spoon">
"Ok ok I've added the odd program for her, all from my PC via *telnet*, but
she doesnt know I'm doing it and just keeps right on using her PC."
"I charge *friends* $100 to install Linux and the apps they want, after that
I admin it for a few months, remotely, then they are on their own."
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/679f929da7755e3d/2736d7902b331d3d?#2736d7902b331d3d
Terry Porter: FWBuilder does not exist for Windows.
http://www.fwbuilder.org/netcitadel/index.html
"To see Ubuntu kicking Vista arse is quite a sight."
"Consider this, XP is 7 years old and according to my records only doing
twice as well as Linux, which is doing better than Vista."
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
Terry Porter "I Use Telnet To Administer My Client's Machines"
http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/doku.php?id=x10_home_automation
Terry Porter: "Lots of high quality Linux applications are NOT *available*
for *Windows* : Gimp, Gnuplot, Gnumeric, Mplayer, Gkrellm, Evince, Mutt."
<Liarnut's reply>
"You need to do better research, Terry. I knew about most of those from
having used them. The rest were found with a simple query: xxxxxx for
windows."
<more to come>

Hadron

Dec 14, 2008, 4:15:31 PM12/14/08
Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> writes:

> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
> wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>
> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>
> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
> an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?

The great majority I guess. The ones who need SW to sync their mobile
phone, run itunes, run their PDAa and connect to Exchange I guess. I.e
the paying public.

> You'd have to have more cash than brains to choose the lacklustre 7 year
> old XP POS, over a modern up to date Linux distribution that includes
> Open Office, Firefox web browser, movie and picture viewers etc.

Oh no.

Terry still doesn't realise they are free and available for Windows too.

Oh - My - God!

> The Linux unit is PACKED with features, in a easy to use GUI.
>
> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
> and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing their
> teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".

What are you talking about? I think Linux is great for a netbook and
posted my views on them LONG before you turned up here making a dick out
of yourself time and time again.

> Ignore them, they are sad trolls living in the past, sitting on their fat
> unemployed arses in the present, hoping for a happy life tomorrow.

--
"My college theater antics were the inspiration for Robin
Williams' character on Mork & Mindy"

Message has been deleted

7

Dec 14, 2008, 4:41:31 PM12/14/08
Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Clogwog
wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

> One of your $100 *friends*, I bet!

Wrote the fscktard tool, sock operative retard, net loon and life long
BUM BOYEE for Micoshaft corporation asstrotrufing to get paid to buy some
dope to hallucinate harder and scream abuse on the internet at strangers
and Linux advocates in a Linux newsgroup. (TM)*

--
* This message is licensed not sold.

Tim Smith

Dec 14, 2008, 5:02:55 PM12/14/08
In article <WqmdnSBSJ4yG7djU...@netspace.net.au>,
Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
> wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>
> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>
> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
> an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?

Note that the Acer Aspire One product line is split into two groups: the
A110 line uses SSD for storage, and the A150 line uses hard disk. There
have been both Linux and XP models available in both lines.

Terry is comparing a Linux model from the A110 line against an XP model
from the A150 line.

--
--Tim Smith

Roy Schestowitz

Dec 14, 2008, 4:50:12 PM12/14/08

Message has been deleted

Snit

Dec 14, 2008, 5:07:27 PM12/14/08
"Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> stated in post
WqmdnSBSJ4yG7djU...@netspace.net.au on 12/14/08 1:44 PM:

> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
> wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>
> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>
> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
> an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?
>
> You'd have to have more cash than brains to choose the lacklustre 7 year
> old XP POS, over a modern up to date Linux distribution that includes
> Open Office, Firefox web browser, movie and picture viewers etc.
>
> The Linux unit is PACKED with features, in a easy to use GUI.
>
> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
> and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing their
> teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".
>
> Ignore them, they are sad trolls living in the past, sitting on their fat
> unemployed arses in the present, hoping for a happy life tomorrow.

Why do you make up stories about how I will act? Seriously... what on Earth
would possibly make you be so dishonest and desperate for attention? OK:
now you got my attention. So what? You made up a story about me and then I
reacted. Why?

--
I think we [the folks who make Linux desktops] don't yet deliver a good
enough user experience.

Snit

Dec 14, 2008, 5:09:31 PM12/14/08
"Hadron" <hadro...@gmail.com> stated in post
gi3t4t$mvk$2...@reader.motzarella.org on 12/14/08 2:15 PM:

Terry is showing the kind of thinking that helped get MS to be so big... it
is not about how well features are implemented nor how much a user will
do... it is all about bragging rights of who has more bullet points.

MS loves people who think in such shallow ways. :)

--
When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.

Erik Funkenbusch

Dec 14, 2008, 5:24:56 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:44:11 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
> wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>
> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>
> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
> an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?

Nice lie there Terry. The XP model is more expensive not because of XP,
but because it's a more substantial computer. It has a hard drive, it has
a larger battery for twice the operating time, and it has twice the memory.

In fact, Acer doesn't seem to sell a Linux model that has a hard drive And
the model with 1GB of memory is almost the same price as the XP version,
with a near order of magnitude less storage capacity (and still half the
battery life)

So, unless you are absolutely only interested in an SSD, the XP machines
are a better deal strictly based on hardware, without even taking the OS
into consideration.

Let's compare:

Acer Aspire One N270 w/Linux, 1GB Ram, 16GB SSD, 3 Cell battery USD $349.
Acer Aspire One N270 w/XP, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD, 6 Cell battery USD $379.

> You'd have to have more cash than brains to choose the lacklustre 7 year
> old XP POS, over a modern up to date Linux distribution that includes
> Open Office, Firefox web browser, movie and picture viewers etc.

Except, of course, that you can download all that stuff for free for the XP
version. So why would you want less of a computer, for virutally the same
price?

> The Linux unit is PACKED with features, in a easy to use GUI.
>
> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
> and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing their
> teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".
>
> Ignore them, they are sad trolls living in the past, sitting on their fat
> unemployed arses in the present, hoping for a happy life tomorrow.

I claim you're lying because you are lying. You are not paying more *JUST*
for XP. You're paying more for a substantially beter computer.

Hell, even if I wanted to run Linux on one of these, i'd buy the XP model
and put Linux on it. It's cheaper than upgrading the low-end model to the
same features.

Terry Porter

Dec 14, 2008, 5:43:25 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:15:31 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> writes:
>
>> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and
>> his wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>>
>> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
>> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>>
>> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to
>> pay an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?
>
> The great majority I guess.

You would be guessing.

> The ones who need SW to sync their mobile
> phone, run itunes, run their PDAa and connect to Exchange I guess. I.e
> the paying public.

Since when are Windows users the *paying* public ?

>> You'd have to have more cash than brains to choose the lacklustre 7
>> year old XP POS, over a modern up to date Linux distribution that
>> includes Open Office, Firefox web browser, movie and picture viewers
>> etc.
>
> Oh no.
>
> Terry still doesn't realise they are free and available for Windows too.

*available* NOT installed and ready to run at the click of a menu as they
are on the Linux Acer Aspire One.

As I have pointed out previously, *available* does not mean *installable*
under Windows.

If you are a casual COLA reader and believe these bozos, *try* installing
the above apps from the list of URL's that the trolls will now supply and
get back to us about how easy/hard it is to install Linux designed apps
on Windows ?

> Oh - My - God!
>

>> The Linux unit is PACKED with features, in a easy to use GUI.
>>
>> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
>> and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing
>> their teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".
>
> What are you talking about? I think Linux is great for a netbook and
> posted my views on them LONG before you turned up here making a dick out
> of yourself time and time again.

That would be nice, if a troll actually had any credibility. You're a
troll, and you don't.

>> Ignore them, they are sad trolls living in the past, sitting on their
>> fat unemployed arses in the present, hoping for a happy life tomorrow.

Terry Porter

Dec 14, 2008, 5:49:32 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:02:55 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

> Note that the Acer Aspire One product line is split into two groups: the
> A110 line uses SSD for storage, and the A150 line uses hard disk. There
> have been both Linux and XP models available in both lines.

However Acer only sell Linux on the A110 to my knowledge.

Please supply a URL to a windows powered A110 from Acer if you have a
link ?

> Terry is comparing a Linux model from the A110 line against an XP model
> from the A150 line.

And there is no comparison as the Linux unit is tons faster with its SSD,
not to mention $150 cheaper with all the free apps, such as OO.

A netbook with a hard drive is a small notebook, hot, slow, fragile and
shorter battery life.

Terry Porter

Dec 14, 2008, 5:50:59 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:24:56 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:44:11 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>
>> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and
>> his wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>>
>> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
>> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>>
>> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to
>> pay an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?

Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing their
teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".

> Nice lie there Terry.

Right on cue Erik.

Erik Funkenbusch

Dec 14, 2008, 5:58:59 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:50:59 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:24:56 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:44:11 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>>
>>> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and
>>> his wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>>>
>>> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
>>> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>>>
>>> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to
>>> pay an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?
>

> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
> and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing their
> teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".
>

>> Nice lie there Terry.
>
> Right on cue Erik.

And, as usual, you can't actually respond to what I say.

Nice to know even you admit i'm right. After all, if I wasn't, you'd
surely tell me how I was wrong.

7

Dec 14, 2008, 6:01:56 PM12/14/08
Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Erik Funkenbusch

wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:44:11 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>
>> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
>> wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>>
>> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
>> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>>
>> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
>> an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?
>
> Nice lie there Terry. The XP model is more expensive not because of XP,
> but because it's a more substantial computer. It has a hard drive, it has
> a larger battery for twice the operating time, and it has twice the
> memory.

Which is a combination of marketing lies and distortion of the truth.

The marketing truth is that WINDUMMY OSen cannot run on anything less.

So the Linux is not only cheaper but runs on less expensive hardware.
These combinations are creating new marketing opportunities.

Linux mullers the windummy marketing ideas day in day out now.

Hadron

Dec 14, 2008, 6:11:03 PM12/14/08
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

*stiffled bored yawn*

err, wassat? terry got something right? No? Huh. -- Zzzzzzzzzzz

Hadron

Dec 14, 2008, 6:12:42 PM12/14/08
"Gary M. Stewart" <gmstew...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:02:55 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:
>

> Will someone please pull the batteries out of this Terry Porter clown
> because he is obviously defective.

I bet he lurks nearby and pounces on people looking for an XMas gift for
little Charlene and Shane. The store will have a restraining order on
Porter soon.

Hadron

Dec 14, 2008, 6:14:30 PM12/14/08
Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> writes:

That's it. Terry Porter *MUST* be a reverse troll.

He makes a tit of himself with every post he makes.

Erik Funkenbusch

Dec 14, 2008, 6:17:19 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:01:56 +0000, 7 wrote:

> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Erik Funkenbusch
> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
>

>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:44:11 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>>
>>> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
>>> wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>>>
>>> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
>>> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>>>
>>> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
>>> an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?
>>
>> Nice lie there Terry. The XP model is more expensive not because of XP,
>> but because it's a more substantial computer. It has a hard drive, it has
>> a larger battery for twice the operating time, and it has twice the
>> memory.
>
> Which is a combination of marketing lies and distortion of the truth.
>
> The marketing truth is that WINDUMMY OSen cannot run on anything less.

They can, but most people would not be happy with the results. For
instance, Microsoft office along will take up a substantial part of an SSD.

The fact of the matter is, Terry lied. He said, and I quote:

"who in their right mind would want to pay an extra $150 for XP home
compared for Linux?"

That comment totally ignores that the hardware specs are different, and
pretends that the only difference is XP. That is a lie.

> So the Linux is not only cheaper but runs on less expensive hardware.
> These combinations are creating new marketing opportunities.

Yes, Linux can run on less expensive hardware, but feature wise it's not
cheaper. You get more hardware performance for your dollare with the XP
units, despite having to include the cost of Windows.

So for $30 more, you get twice the battery life and 10x the disk space.
I'll take that any day even if I were running Linux.

Erik Funkenbusch

Dec 14, 2008, 6:21:25 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:49:32 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

> And there is no comparison as the Linux unit is tons faster with its SSD,
> not to mention $150 cheaper with all the free apps, such as OO.

SSD's are not faster, particularly at writes. They're something like half
the speed of a typical disk drive at writes. Reads are about equivelent,
however they do have the advantage of no seek time.

> A netbook with a hard drive is a small notebook, hot, slow, fragile and
> shorter battery life.

Not much shorter. And the hard drive units have larger batteries, giving
them substantially longer runtime.

7

Dec 14, 2008, 6:35:01 PM12/14/08
Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Erik Funkenbusch
wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:01:56 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Erik Funkenbusch
>> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

>>> Nice lie there Terry. The XP model is more expensive not because of XP,
>>> but because it's a more substantial computer. It has a hard drive, it
>>> has a larger battery for twice the operating time, and it has twice the
>>> memory.
>>
>> Which is a combination of marketing lies and distortion of the truth.
>>
>> The marketing truth is that WINDUMMY OSen cannot run on anything less.
>
> They can, but most people would not be happy with the results.

Then your Linux advocacy is complete.
Now run before Balmer throws his chair at you for being honest.

Erik Funkenbusch

Dec 14, 2008, 6:40:29 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:35:01 +0000, 7 wrote:

> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Erik Funkenbusch
> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
>

>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:01:56 +0000, 7 wrote:
>>
>>> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Erik Funkenbusch

>>> Which is a combination of marketing lies and distortion of the truth.
>>>
>>> The marketing truth is that WINDUMMY OSen cannot run on anything less.
>>
>> They can, but most people would not be happy with the results.
>
> Then your Linux advocacy is complete.
> Now run before Balmer throws his chair at you for being honest.

Fuck off with your snipping and lying bullshit 7.

If you can't respond to the actual point, then don't bother, you just look
even more stupid than usual.

Sinister Midget

Dec 14, 2008, 7:11:47 PM12/14/08
On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:44:11 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>
>> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
>> wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>>
>> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
>> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>>
>> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
>> an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?
>
> Nice lie there Terry.

>> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
>> and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing their
>> teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".
>>
>> Ignore them, they are sad trolls living in the past, sitting on their fat
>> unemployed arses in the present, hoping for a happy life tomorrow.
>
> I claim you're lying because you are lying. You are not paying more *JUST*
> for XP. You're paying more for a substantially beter computer.

It didn't take long at all for the tooth-gnashing. Dead on again,
Terry!

--
Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.
-- Frank Zappa

Ezekiel

Dec 14, 2008, 7:24:48 PM12/14/08

"Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and his
> wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>
> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>
> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to pay
> an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?

Idiot. You're comparing apples-to-orangutans. The computers are not nearly
the same and don't have anywhere near the same specs.

Snit

Dec 14, 2008, 7:49:11 PM12/14/08
"Erik Funkenbusch" <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> stated in post
owhnjhtrhzg7$.d...@funkenbusch.com on 12/14/08 3:58 PM:

It is an old game in COLA... notice how many people whine about my comments
on GUI issues... but they never get around to talking about where my
comments are incorrect or not well supported. Funny that, eh?

--
"If you have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan Simpson

Hadron

Dec 14, 2008, 8:02:24 PM12/14/08
Sinister Midget <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:

Why is he "dead on" when he is caught telling lies again?

"Dead wrong" more like. I'm not sure that even High Plains Hypocrite is
as stupid as Terry. "7" doesn't count in the "Top COLA Retard" table
because he is obviously insane.

--
"Let the body stay buried wherever he put it, maybe it'll get
found some day, maybe not. "

amicus_curious

Dec 14, 2008, 9:08:24 PM12/14/08

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:02:55 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:
>

>> Note that the Acer Aspire One product line is split into two groups: the
>> A110 line uses SSD for storage, and the A150 line uses hard disk. There
>> have been both Linux and XP models available in both lines.
>
> However Acer only sell Linux on the A110 to my knowledge.
>
> Please supply a URL to a windows powered A110 from Acer if you have a
> link ?

For the search impaired:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=netbook+Asus+8Gb+XP

Hadron

Dec 14, 2008, 9:23:18 PM12/14/08
"amicus_curious" <AC...@sti.net> writes:

As soon as I find a decent netbook with plenty of SSD and can run Debian
fine I'm getting one. Much as I love my X30, the battery life is
abysmal.

But I want one with out a mouse pad : an xthinkpad type mouse nipple
would be ok.

Since moving to XMonad as my WM, mouse usage is non existent except for
the odd game.

Any recommendations appreciated (seriously).

RonB

Dec 14, 2008, 9:27:27 PM12/14/08
amicus_curious wrote:

Hmmm... Two Asus computers and two HPs. No Acers. Your point was?

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

Terry Porter

Dec 14, 2008, 9:30:53 PM12/14/08

For vision impaired trolls, who can't READ :-

"Please supply a URL to a windows powered A110 from ACER if you have a
link ?"

Sinister Midget

Dec 14, 2008, 9:30:59 PM12/14/08
On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:01:56 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Erik Funkenbusch
>> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

>>> Nice lie there Terry. The XP model is more expensive not because of XP,
>>> but because it's a more substantial computer. It has a hard drive, it has
>>> a larger battery for twice the operating time, and it has twice the
>>> memory.
>>
>> Which is a combination of marketing lies and distortion of the truth.
>>
>> The marketing truth is that WINDUMMY OSen cannot run on anything less.
>
> They can, but most people would not be happy with the results. For
> instance, Microsoft office along will take up a substantial part of an SSD.

As well as a substantial part of the memory, and a substantial part of
a wallet.

> The fact of the matter is, Terry lied. He said, and I quote:
>
> "who in their right mind would want to pay an extra $150 for XP home
> compared for Linux?"

"Who in their right mind" is a lie? Really? Since when?

> That comment totally ignores that the hardware specs are different, and
> pretends that the only difference is XP. That is a lie.

For the sake of argument, I'll pretend I agree with you for just a
second.

How is "pretending" anything a lie? Do explain.

Now, I'll stop pretending I agree with you for the argument above and
proceed with my real thoughts.

Where did Terry claim the only difference is XP? Please quote that for
me. I can't even find pretense. Maybe you can point that out instead.

In several other threads he pointed to the differences and enumerated
the disadvantages of those differences: weight, battery life, heat and
cost being the most notable differences _other_ than the crapware
loaded on the XP machine.

So, in short, I don't see a *lie* at all. I see you, once more, trying
to pick at nits the way drug addicts pick at scabs.

>> So the Linux is not only cheaper but runs on less expensive hardware.
>> These combinations are creating new marketing opportunities.
>
> Yes, Linux can run on less expensive hardware, but feature wise it's not
> cheaper. You get more hardware performance for your dollare with the XP
> units, despite having to include the cost of Windows.

What features are missing? What office software is on both the linux
and Windows models? What about browsers? Or multimedia capabilities? Or
email, usenet, terminal services or addon products from a central
repository?

For that matter, what, exactly, does the Windows model come with that's
already installed that's equivalent to the multimedia, graphics, email,
browser and office products that fit fine on the linux models?

While we're there, how well does that XP netbook run compared to the
linux netbook? How does speed compare? Or responsiveness? System load?

How long does the bigger battery on the XP version last compared to
smaller one on the linux model? How much heavier is the Windows model?
How much hotter does the Windows model get? How long can it run before
it needs to be shut down to cool off?

Does the Windows model run well with anti-virus running on it at the
same time? What about anti-spyware?

Does the XP model drag to a halt with an errant external drive attached
the way it does on the desktop? I know linux doesn't, although I can't
say that for a fact with the netbooks.

C'mon. List the features that the Windows model has over the linux
model.

The hard drive isn't enough. I know I'd rather be able to carry any
extra drive space I need in a shirt pocket. You can't do that with the
Windows machine because it won't fit on the SSD, and probably wouldn't
run on it anyway.

> So for $30 more, you get twice the battery life and 10x the disk space.
> I'll take that any day even if I were running Linux.

$30? Where do you get that figure?

Oh. You get twice the memory, which should make it almost run 1/4 as
well as the linux machines. I guess that and a crummy 7-year-old XP is
worth the $150 to you.

And more weight. And runs hotter. And runs slower. And has less
software installed.

And I don't believe your "twice the battery life" claim. Twice the
capacity, maybe. But also a lot more load to make that doubling of
capacity worthless, or nearly so.

You sure drive a hard bargain: more of everything you don't want
(mentioned above, but especially Winders), and less of all of the
things you do want: quality, capability, software. And all for a far,
far higher price.

There's a reason I see 10X plus more Windwoes-laden used netbooks being
resold on Craig's List. I know the reason. I suspect you do, too, but
I don't expect you to be honest enough to admit it.

(I really need to stop making this sort of effort at taking your crap
apart. It's too easy. And you really aren't worth it.)

--
If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder
you in your sleep.

Terry Porter

Dec 14, 2008, 9:32:45 PM12/14/08

No, but you did, exactly on cue.

When you write something worthwhile, i.e. not totally clueless and FOS,
I'll reply.

Terry Porter

Dec 14, 2008, 9:34:34 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:40:29 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Fuck off with your snipping and lying bullshit 7.

Except he's not and you are.

Same old Erik Funkentroll.

Terry Porter

Dec 14, 2008, 9:41:41 PM12/14/08

It's just too easy, as trolls have no defence against being trolled, in
the same way it's easy to con a con artist, bullshit to a bullshit artist
etc.

Poor little trolls ... how they wail!

Apart from the fact that Erik needs a spell checker for his dinky toy OS,
he's FOS as usual.

1) XP Home is not a 'substantially beter computer' than Linux, it's a far
inferior computer.
2) A netbook with a hard drive is not a "substantially beter computer",
it's an old tech notebook, just small, hot, fragile and slow.
3) A netbook with more ram, is a XP Home netbook, and it NEEDS it, Linux
doesnt!

DFS

Dec 14, 2008, 9:51:40 PM12/14/08
Terry Porter wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:24:56 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:44:11 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>>
>>> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and
>>> his wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>>>
>>> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not
>>> the Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.
>>>
>>> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to
>>> pay an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?

90% of the world, basically.

> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit,
> Hadrongo and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and
> gnashing their teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".

Not a lie, just your standard idiocy.

I don't doubt you think they were looking only at the Linux netbook, but the
fact is they were browsing and 10 seconds later they were looking at the XP
system.

If they purchased either, there's a much higher likelihood it was the more
expensive XP system.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Hadron

Dec 14, 2008, 11:21:28 PM12/14/08
"Gary M. Stewart" <gmstew...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:11:47 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:
>

>> It didn't take long at all for the tooth-gnashing. Dead on again,
>> Terry!
>

> Unfortunately Terry Porter is once again 100 percent incorrect.
> Why do you mistake hilarious laughter for tooth-gnashing?
>
> Maybe you need to clean your ears out?
>
> We are laughing so hard at this boob, Terry Porter, it's getting difficult
> to believe he is really a Linux advocate.
>
> Is he ever right?

The evidence indicates that no, he is never right.

I am *convinced* he is a clever plant by those snakey sods at Redmond.

--
"Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
chrisv, COLA.

Gregory Shearman

Dec 15, 2008, 12:34:44 AM12/15/08
On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:49:32 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>
>> And there is no comparison as the Linux unit is tons faster with its SSD,
>> not to mention $150 cheaper with all the free apps, such as OO.
>
> SSD's are not faster, particularly at writes. They're something like half
> the speed of a typical disk drive at writes. Reads are about equivelent,
> however they do have the advantage of no seek time.

So, SSDs are not only extremely rugged, they are faster. Thanks for that
Erik.

>> A netbook with a hard drive is a small notebook, hot, slow, fragile and
>> shorter battery life.
>
> Not much shorter. And the hard drive units have larger batteries, giving
> them substantially longer runtime.

So, They are more fragile, they are heavier and need more power to run.
What advantage do they have over the Linux netbooks again?

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Tim Smith

Dec 15, 2008, 1:25:53 AM12/15/08
In article <Ts6dnf-vkdXhENjU...@netspace.net.au>,
Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:02:55 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:
>

> > Note that the Acer Aspire One product line is split into two groups: the
> > A110 line uses SSD for storage, and the A150 line uses hard disk. There
> > have been both Linux and XP models available in both lines.
>
> However Acer only sell Linux on the A110 to my knowledge.

But they sell both XP and Linux on the A150. Linux A150 is
significantly more expensive than Linux A110.

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Dec 15, 2008, 1:34:40 AM12/15/08
In article <slrngkbr3k.92...@netscape.net>,

Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> wrote:
> >> And there is no comparison as the Linux unit is tons faster with its SSD,
> >> not to mention $150 cheaper with all the free apps, such as OO.
> >
> > SSD's are not faster, particularly at writes. They're something like half
> > the speed of a typical disk drive at writes. Reads are about equivelent,
> > however they do have the advantage of no seek time.
>
> So, SSDs are not only extremely rugged, they are faster. Thanks for that
> Erik.

Seek time is not the dominant factor in most typical situations. Most
reviewers who have tested SSD systems have generally been disappointed
with the performance. Many low end SSD drives even lose in power
consumption!

There are some very good SSD drives. Linus blogged about the Intel's,
because he was so impressed with the random write performance, so there
is hope.

> >> A netbook with a hard drive is a small notebook, hot, slow, fragile and
> >> shorter battery life.
> >
> > Not much shorter. And the hard drive units have larger batteries, giving
> > them substantially longer runtime.
>
> So, They are more fragile, they are heavier and need more power to run.
> What advantage do they have over the Linux netbooks again?

You seem very confused. Why would you want to compare a hard disk to a
netbook?

--
--Tim Smith

RonB

Dec 15, 2008, 2:01:38 AM12/15/08
Tim Smith wrote:

But you tell us why XP is not loaded on the non-hard drive versions of the
netbooks?

Gregory Shearman

Dec 15, 2008, 2:26:20 AM12/15/08

Huh? I'm afraid that *you* are confused,Tim. Erik was discussing
"netbooks" with HDD installed vs SSD.

"And the hard drive units have larger batteries,...."

What "units" is Erik talking about here, Tim? Netbooks of course!

Happy to help you out of your confusion.

Terry Porter

Dec 15, 2008, 2:49:39 AM12/15/08

The following data is interesting, Windows adds $50.69 or 19% to the same
hardware on the A150.

I'd call *that* "significant", as is the nearly 50/50 ratio of Linux/
Windows sales. So much for the claims made here by the trolls regarding
much greater Windows netbook sales.

begin{quote}
What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?

31% buy
Acer Aspire One A150-Bw Netbook, Windows XP Home, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB HD
(Seashell White) 3.0 out of 5 stars (2)
£265.99

30% buy
Acer Aspire One A150-Ab Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite version, 1GB DDR2 RAM,
120GB HD (Sapphire Blue) 4.2 out of 5 stars (13)
£215.30

15% buy
Acer Aspire One A110-Ab Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite version, 512MB DDR2
RAM, 8GB NAND Flash (Sapphire Blue) 4.3 out of 5 stars (19)
£170.34

14% buy
Acer Aspire One A150-Bw Netbook, Windows XP Home, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 120GB
HD (Seashell White) 5.0 out of 5 stars (2)
£249.99
end{quote}

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One-Netbook-Sapphire/dp/B001BZ9234

Terry Porter

Dec 15, 2008, 2:55:19 AM12/15/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:51:40 -0500, DFS wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:

> 90% of the world, basically.

In your dreams kid.

Amazon say 50%.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One-Netbook-Sapphire/dp/B001BZ9234

>> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
>> and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing
>> their teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".
>
> Not a lie,

True, they did all show up wailing and gnashing

their teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".

> I don't doubt you think they were looking only at the Linux netbook, but
> the fact is they were browsing and 10 seconds later they were looking at
> the XP system.
>
> If they purchased either, there's a much higher likelihood it was the
> more expensive XP system.

When you're finished having a lend of yourself, see above for some *real
world Amazon facts* .

Message has been deleted

Terry Porter

Dec 15, 2008, 3:03:04 AM12/15/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:30:59 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

> On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:

<various Funkentroll nonsense, and Sinister Midgets kick ass rebuttal>

> (I really need to stop making this sort of effort at taking your crap
> apart. It's too easy. And you really aren't worth it.)

No, please don't stop!

There are probably 300 Linux advocates roaring with laughter while we
read your outstanding Funkenbreath dissection, I know I was.

Oh what a pleasure to read ... think of us instead, while you take Erik
to the cleaners next time ?

Snit

Dec 15, 2008, 3:48:57 AM12/15/08
"Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> stated in post
Jo6dnWZ55I-OkdvU...@netspace.net.au on 12/15/08 12:49 AM:

Being that is one of the few computers that comes with Linux pre-installed,
is it possible that most people looking at it are already predispositioned
to be thinking of getting Linux? If so, well, those stats are a sad
statement about people selecting Linux.

--
When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.
When facts change your mind, that's science.

Snit

Dec 15, 2008, 3:51:05 AM12/15/08
"Gary M. Stewart" <gmstew...@gmail.com> stated in post
gi52oo$bjv$1...@news.motzarella.org on 12/15/08 12:59 AM:

>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One-Netbook-Sapphire/dp/B001BZ9234
>
> I suggest you read the reviews before making an ass of yourself, yet again
> Terry Porter.
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One-Netbook-Seashell/dp/B001BZ4QX0/ref=dp_
> cp_ob_ce_title_0/279-6385015-3616066
>
> "I bought the Linux version of the Acer Aspire intially, and whilst a
> brilliant inexpensive machine, the operating system didn't have driver for
> the built-in microphone, so my aim of recording meetings with it and the
> built in webcam were impossible. But I returned it to Amazon with no fuss,
> and upgraded to this Windows XP version. "
>
> That's precious.... They sell a Linux based laptop with a built in
> microphone and Linux doesn't even support it!!
>
> Does anyone actually test these things?

I have seen Dell's and HP's come with Windows and do much the same with, if
nothing else, printers in the same bundle (but also internal hardware such
as a DVD burner with LightScribe).

Companies that do that should be sued... whether they do it in terms of
Linux or Windows. Or, of course, OS X.

--
Projects should really look to the whole Linux desktop and see how they can
appeal to both sides.

Terry Porter

Dec 15, 2008, 4:53:02 AM12/15/08
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 03:23:18 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> "amicus_curious" <AC...@sti.net> writes:
>
>> "Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

>>> However Acer only sell Linux on the A110 to my knowledge.
>>>

>>> Please supply a URL to a windows powered A110 from Acer if you have a
>>> link ?
>>>
>> For the search impaired:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-
keywords=netbook+Asus+8Gb+XP

> As soon as I find a decent netbook with plenty of SSD and can run Debian
> fine I'm getting one. Much as I love my X30, the battery life is
> abysmal.

Sadly all the notebooks have poor battery lives. I keep saying it, you
trolls keep ignoring it.

I can get 6 real hours out of my Gnu/Linux Debian Lenny powered EeePC900,
which has a 900mhz Celeron CPU, which makes it uncommonly useful in the
field.
Note: 10.4Ah battery.

> But I want one with out a mouse pad : an xthinkpad type mouse nipple
> would be ok.

Mouse pads seem to be the only offerings in the netbook category.

> Since moving to XMonad as my WM, mouse usage is non existent except for
> the odd game.
>
> Any recommendations appreciated (seriously).

Uhuh, ... take a troll seriously ?

You must be joking ?

Terry Porter

Dec 15, 2008, 5:04:17 AM12/15/08
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:48:57 -0700, Snit wrote:

> "Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> stated in post

<snip>

>> The following data is interesting, Windows adds $50.69 or 19% to the
>> same hardware on the A150.
>>
>> I'd call *that* "significant", as is the nearly 50/50 ratio of Linux/
>> Windows sales. So much for the claims made here by the trolls regarding
>> much greater Windows netbook sales.
>>

>> begin{quote}
>> What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?
>>
>> 31% buy
>> Acer Aspire One A150-Bw Netbook, Windows XP Home, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB
>> HD (Seashell White) 3.0 out of 5 stars (2) £265.99
>>
>> 30% buy
>> Acer Aspire One A150-Ab Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite version, 1GB DDR2
>> RAM, 120GB HD (Sapphire Blue) 4.2 out of 5 stars (13) £215.30
>>
>> 15% buy
>> Acer Aspire One A110-Ab Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite version, 512MB DDR2
>> RAM, 8GB NAND Flash (Sapphire Blue) 4.3 out of 5 stars (19) £170.34
>>
>> 14% buy
>> Acer Aspire One A150-Bw Netbook, Windows XP Home, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 120GB
>> HD (Seashell White) 5.0 out of 5 stars (2) £249.99
>> end{quote}
>>
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One-Netbook-Sapphire/dp/B001BZ9234
>
> Being that is one of the few computers that comes with Linux

It's a netbook, mini-note or umpc, get your nomenclature right will ya ?

> pre-installed, is it possible that most people looking at it are already
> predispositioned to be thinking of getting Linux?

Anything is possible. As a troll are already predispositioned to take a
contrary position to anything I say ?

> If so, well, those
> stats are a sad statement about people selecting Linux.

If not, then it's as Amazon state. 50/50 Linux/Windows and exactly as I
claimed.

Sinister Midget

Dec 15, 2008, 5:07:40 AM12/15/08
On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:49:32 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

>> A netbook with a hard drive is a small notebook, hot, slow, fragile and
>> shorter battery life.
>
> Not much shorter. And the hard drive units have larger batteries, giving
> them substantially longer runtime.

The mind of the Windummy: It ain't /much/ shorter, but it's longer,
lots longer.

Maybe there's some correlation between the amount of hydrogen in the
universe and the number of dipshit Windopes. Nah. If that was true
the amount of hydrogen would have to be decreasing because more and
more people are escaping the Windwoes shackles.

Perhaps the relationship is between the level of hydrogen and the
amount of overall troll dumbassedness. That would certainly help to
explain why the Windolts keep getting dumber as less and less people
use their favored crapware.

--
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the
basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more

Sinister Midget

Dec 15, 2008, 5:18:53 AM12/15/08
On 2008-12-15, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> claimed:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:30:59 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>> On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:
>
><various Funkentroll nonsense, and Sinister Midgets kick ass rebuttal>
>

>> (I really need to stop making this sort of effort at taking your crap
>> apart. It's too easy. And you really aren't worth it.)
>
> No, please don't stop!
>
> There are probably 300 Linux advocates roaring with laughter while we
> read your outstanding Funkenbreath dissection, I know I was.
>
> Oh what a pleasure to read ... think of us instead, while you take Erik
> to the cleaners next time ?

I'll consider it.

But there are times I should back off. Or maybe just take a different
tack. Not because it shouldn't be done, but because what there is to
tackle is so convoluted (what else *could* it be, coming from a Windolt
"mind" and all?) that it's hard to get a grasp on where to begin.

--
If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder
you in your sleep.
-- Frank Zappa

Snit

Dec 15, 2008, 5:34:45 AM12/15/08
"Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> stated in post
Jo6dnZ145I88ttvU...@netspace.net.au on 12/15/08 3:04 AM:

>>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One-Netbook-Sapphire/dp/B001BZ9234
>>
>> Being that is one of the few computers that comes with Linux
>
> It's a netbook, mini-note or umpc, get your nomenclature right will ya ?

Are you now denying it is a computer?

>> pre-installed, is it possible that most people looking at it are already
>> predispositioned to be thinking of getting Linux?
>
> Anything is possible.

In context it was clear if I was asking if you - or others - thought it was
likely.

> As a troll are already predispositioned to take a
> contrary position to anything I say ?

Er?

>> If so, well, those stats are a sad statement about people selecting Linux.
>
> If not, then it's as Amazon state. 50/50 Linux/Windows and exactly as I
> claimed.

Well, if it what you claimed we can be quite certain it is incorrect. :)

And do please note the smiley.

--
I can't say we will succeed at this, but we will make a significant attempt
to elevate the Linux desktop to the point where it is as good or better than

Terry Porter

Dec 15, 2008, 6:27:18 AM12/15/08
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 03:34:45 -0700, Snit wrote:

> "Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> stated in post

<snip>

>> As a troll are already predispositioned to take a contrary position to
>> anything I say ?
>
> Er?

Sorry left out a word, the line should have read :-

As a troll, you are already predispositioned to take a contrary position

to anything I say ?

Terry Porter

Dec 15, 2008, 6:28:39 AM12/15/08
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:18:53 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

> On 2008-12-15, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> claimed:
>>

>> Oh what a pleasure to read ... think of us instead, while you take Erik
>> to the cleaners next time ?
>
> I'll consider it.
>
> But there are times I should back off. Or maybe just take a different
> tack. Not because it shouldn't be done, but because what there is to
> tackle is so convoluted (what else *could* it be, coming from a Windolt
> "mind" and all?) that it's hard to get a grasp on where to begin.

Herein lies madness, that kind of thing ?

Good point !

Hadron

Dec 15, 2008, 6:34:55 AM12/15/08
RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> writes:

It takes more space. Your point is?

Or is footprint the entire reason to switch an OS now?

--
"Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

Hadron

Dec 15, 2008, 6:42:04 AM12/15/08
"Gary M. Stewart" <gmstew...@gmail.com> writes:

> I suggest you read the reviews before making an ass of yourself, yet again
> Terry Porter.
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One-Netbook-Seashell/dp/B001BZ4QX0/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_0/279-6385015-3616066
>
> "I bought the Linux version of the Acer Aspire intially, and whilst a
> brilliant inexpensive machine, the operating system didn't have driver for
> the built-in microphone, so my aim of recording meetings with it and the
> built in webcam were impossible. But I returned it to Amazon with no fuss,
> and upgraded to this Windows XP version. "
>
> That's precious.... They sell a Linux based laptop with a built in
> microphone and Linux doesn't even support it!!
>
> Does anyone actually test these things?

Apparently Liarmutt, Peter and some other COLA "advocates" are in
charge of QA and reviews.

It got an "A+".

Took them a full 3 seconds for the full suite of tests and then further
regression tests when they updated the OS kernel.

Report? Oh, I have it, here :

"It works for me, 'tard".

Here's Marti's report

"It really rox and blew (!?!) me away!"

And 7s

"Bwahaha. A real OS for my beauties and no way for windummies to be
productive as in power on Mars for Linux OS'en rocking the core"

High Plains Hypocrite

"Typical Trespasser ad hominem (no. Marti. No!) attacks on this
blazingly fast release can do no harm"

And finally Roy's

"Microsoft CEO Hans Reiser murders wife and fires 500 of his Yahoo staff
due to success of openSolaris on Linux netbook"

Hadron

Dec 15, 2008, 6:43:30 AM12/15/08
Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:30:59 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>> On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:
>
> <various Funkentroll nonsense, and Sinister Midgets kick ass rebuttal>

Why did you snip Sinister Midget being wrong?

>> (I really need to stop making this sort of effort at taking your crap
>> apart. It's too easy. And you really aren't worth it.)
>
> No, please don't stop!
>
> There are probably 300 Linux advocates roaring with laughter while we
> read your outstanding Funkenbreath dissection, I know I was.

Laughing maniacally is not healthy.

> Oh what a pleasure to read ... think of us instead, while you take Erik
> to the cleaners next time ?

He didn't. All he did was highlight what an idiot you are. Again.

Peter Köhlmann

Dec 15, 2008, 6:50:00 AM12/15/08
Hadron wrote:

> Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:30:59 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:
>>
>>> On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:
>>
>> <various Funkentroll nonsense, and Sinister Midgets kick ass rebuttal>
>>

> Why did you snip Sinister Midget being wrong?

Why don't you tell us where he is wrong, "true linux advocate" Hadron
Quark?

>>> (I really need to stop making this sort of effort at taking your crap
>>> apart. It's too easy. And you really aren't worth it.)
>>
>> No, please don't stop!
>>
>> There are probably 300 Linux advocates roaring with laughter while we
>> read your outstanding Funkenbreath dissection, I know I was.
>
> Laughing maniacally is not healthy.

I am sure you can point us to the "maniacally" part, "kernel hacker" Hadron
Quark

>> Oh what a pleasure to read ... think of us instead, while you take Erik
>> to the cleaners next time ?
>
> He didn't.

Oh, he did. He crumpled Eriks "arguments" to tiny little pieces

> All he did was highlight what an idiot you are. Again.

The only one highlighting his idiocy would be you, "CUPS guru" Hadron Quark
--
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the
stupidity of your action.

Erik Funkenbusch

Dec 15, 2008, 7:08:21 AM12/15/08
On 15 Dec 2008 05:34:44 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:49:32 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>>
>>> And there is no comparison as the Linux unit is tons faster with its SSD,
>>> not to mention $150 cheaper with all the free apps, such as OO.
>>
>> SSD's are not faster, particularly at writes. They're something like half
>> the speed of a typical disk drive at writes. Reads are about equivelent,
>> however they do have the advantage of no seek time.
>
> So, SSDs are not only extremely rugged, they are faster. Thanks for that
> Erik.

What part of "half the speed" makes you think "faster"?

>>> A netbook with a hard drive is a small notebook, hot, slow, fragile and
>>> shorter battery life.
>>
>> Not much shorter. And the hard drive units have larger batteries, giving
>> them substantially longer runtime.
>
> So, They are more fragile, they are heavier and need more power to run.
> What advantage do they have over the Linux netbooks again?

Fragile? The netbook itself is fragile. These are laptop hard drives that
can take being dropped on a floor without damaging them, the laptop screen
will likely break before your hard drive is damaged in transit.

Erik Funkenbusch

Dec 15, 2008, 7:14:02 AM12/15/08

Hadron

Dec 15, 2008, 7:21:14 AM12/15/08
Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> writes:

> On 15 Dec 2008 05:34:44 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

>>> SSD's are not faster, particularly at writes. They're something like half
>>> the speed of a typical disk drive at writes. Reads are about equivelent,
>>> however they do have the advantage of no seek time.
>>
>> So, SSDs are not only extremely rugged, they are faster. Thanks for that
>> Erik.
>
> What part of "half the speed" makes you think "faster"?

Is it a "Linux User In Australia" thing? Gregory Shearman seems to be
in the same category Terry has earmarked - "Special".

>>> Not much shorter. And the hard drive units have larger batteries, giving
>>> them substantially longer runtime.
>>
>> So, They are more fragile, they are heavier and need more power to run.
>> What advantage do they have over the Linux netbooks again?
>
> Fragile? The netbook itself is fragile. These are laptop hard drives that
> can take being dropped on a floor without damaging them, the laptop screen
> will likely break before your hard drive is damaged in transit.

Do the netbooks have built in drop detection like some of the
*excellent* Thinkpad series? Where they shut down and the lock the drive
where they detect they are falling?

Mind you, for all that if you drop one - good luck. Regardless of SSD or
HD. I never yet dropped a laptop and dont expect all of them to have
huge price content in case I do either. It would be like erecting
fencing to protect me from Tigers here in Europe.

The "advocates" will harp on about "journeys" now no doubt.

Forgetting, of course, that the same HDs made it from Taiwan or Malaysia
in the first place ....

--
"Vista actually requires more ram than a 32bit cpu can
address."

Hadron

Dec 15, 2008, 7:23:59 AM12/15/08
Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> writes:

The more they dig, the less there is linking netbook takeup to it being
Linux. I wonder why they bother?

Netbooks WITH Linux are excellent. And I intend to replace my thinkpad
with one WHEN I find one built to the same rigorous standards. But
people *generally* don't want them. They want XP. Linux simply missed
the boat. And *until* there is the same suite of SW for syncing Mobile
phone and PDA to them , well, Linux can forget it.

Chris Ahlstrom

Dec 15, 2008, 7:30:01 AM12/15/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Or is footprint the entire reason to switch an OS now?

It seemed to be for you, for switching WMs.

--
All most people want is a little more than they'll ever get.

Hadron

Dec 15, 2008, 7:37:45 AM12/15/08
Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Or is footprint the entire reason to switch an OS now?
>
> It seemed to be for you, for switching WMs.

I said it saves a lot of memory.

I did not say it was the only reason.

In fact I went as far as to say "XMonad rocks".

But also thanks for supporting me.

I changed one aspect. I did NOT change an entire OS based on one
criteria.

And, FWIW, XMonad has given my laptop a total new lease of life (I hate
dragging the mouse around)

--
"Maybe you can buy a Saturday Night Special and blow your POS brains out."
-- Rick <no...@nomail.com> in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sinister Midget

Dec 15, 2008, 8:05:58 AM12/15/08
On 2008-12-15, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:

> Fragile? The netbook itself is fragile. These are laptop hard drives that
> can take being dropped on a floor without damaging them, the laptop screen
> will likely break before your hard drive is damaged in transit.

You reached this supposition in what manner?

We have laptops at work that are fragile. The screens are broken
regularly. However, most of those aren't due to dropping, but by being
hit with a shotgun butt, or closing the lid with an ink pen sitting on
the keyboard, or not surviving an accident.

In the handful of cases wherein a screen was broken from a drop, not
once has the hard drive survived. But in a couple of cases that I can
name, the hard drive suffered while the screen survived.

I'd think that due solely to the size involved, the netbook screen
would be far more likely to survive a similar fall than the 16" screen
of a laptop. But the drives are of the same type.

In the genuine Toughbook line ("genuine", meaning the hardened models,
not just the crappy ones with the Toughbook name), they cushion the
drive, /and/ have gone to solid state. The old mechanical drives were
just too fragile.

--
You drank beer, you played golf, you watched football - WE EVOLVED!
-- Frank Zappa

Chris Ahlstrom

Dec 15, 2008, 8:11:05 AM12/15/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
>> this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> Or is footprint the entire reason to switch an OS now?
>>
>> It seemed to be for you, for switching WMs.
>
> I said it saves a lot of memory.
> I did not say it was the only reason.
> In fact I went as far as to say "XMonad rocks".
> But also thanks for supporting me.

I do not support you in any way. Even when you post something correct, you
lace it with insults.

> I changed one aspect. I did NOT change an entire OS based on one
> criteria.

Nobody said you did.

> And, FWIW, XMonad has given my laptop a total new lease of life (I hate
> dragging the mouse around)

I don't use the mouse unless the laptop is in a docking station.

Here's a weird one: I almost always use a mouse left-handed, but I have to
use the touchpad with my right hand.

--
I'm wet! I'm wild!

Hadron

Dec 15, 2008, 8:15:45 AM12/15/08
Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
>>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> It seemed to be for you, for switching WMs.
>>
>> I said it saves a lot of memory.
>> I did not say it was the only reason.
>> In fact I went as far as to say "XMonad rocks".
>> But also thanks for supporting me.
>
> I do not support you in any way. Even when you post something correct, you
> lace it with insults.

Wrong. I lace it with like.

Lets look at above. You clearly tried to lie and pretend I switched to
XMonad purely because of memory and storage constraints. You read the
post where I bigged up XMonad? Good. Then you know you were being
misleading and downright dishonest above.

But you'll do your masters bidding and maintain I dont use Linux no
doubt in the very near future.

>> I changed one aspect. I did NOT change an entire OS based on one
>> criteria.
>
> Nobody said you did.

You were trying to be clever and draw a parallel. It did not work.

>> And, FWIW, XMonad has given my laptop a total new lease of life (I hate
>> dragging the mouse around)
>
> I don't use the mouse unless the laptop is in a docking station.

Why then?

> Here's a weird one: I almost always use a mouse left-handed, but I have to
> use the touchpad with my right hand.

That is weird.

--
"I do believe I have stated that he should be given the benefit of the
doubt, as is his right. If he did this crime, as it would seem, then he

Chris Ahlstrom

Dec 15, 2008, 8:20:11 AM12/15/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

>>> I said it saves a lot of memory.
>>> I did not say it was the only reason.
>>> In fact I went as far as to say "XMonad rocks".
>>> But also thanks for supporting me.
>>
>> I do not support you in any way. Even when you post something correct, you
>> lace it with insults.
>
> Wrong. I lace it with like.

Sure you do. That's why you post as an anonymous coward.

> Lets look at above. You clearly tried to lie and pretend I switched to
> XMonad purely because of memory and storage constraints. You read the
> post where I bigged up XMonad? Good. Then you know you were being
> misleading and downright dishonest above.
>
> But you'll do your masters bidding and maintain I dont use Linux no
> doubt in the very near future.

Hadron, you're a poor confused sot.

--
Is knowledge knowable? If not, how do we know that?

chrisv

Dec 15, 2008, 8:53:01 AM12/15/08
> Quack wrote:
>>
>> Terry Porter writes:
>>>
>>> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to
>>> pay an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?
>>
>> The great majority I guess.

Well, I would not be surpised if YOU would, "true Linux advocate"
Hadron Quark...

--
"Linux as a desktop OS is pretty much doomed, it would appear. Too
little too late." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

Terry Porter

Dec 15, 2008, 9:12:35 AM12/15/08
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:05:58 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

> On 2008-12-15, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:
>
>> Fragile? The netbook itself is fragile. These are laptop hard drives
>> that can take being dropped on a floor without damaging them, the
>> laptop screen will likely break before your hard drive is damaged in
>> transit.
>
> You reached this supposition in what manner?

Whilst out of his wintroll mind I think.

> We have laptops at work that are fragile. The screens are broken
> regularly. However, most of those aren't due to dropping, but by being
> hit with a shotgun butt, or closing the lid with an ink pen sitting on
> the keyboard, or not surviving an accident.
>
> In the handful of cases wherein a screen was broken from a drop, not
> once has the hard drive survived. But in a couple of cases that I can
> name, the hard drive suffered while the screen survived.
>
> I'd think that due solely to the size involved, the netbook screen would
> be far more likely to survive a similar fall than the 16" screen of a
> laptop. But the drives are of the same type.
>
> In the genuine Toughbook line ("genuine", meaning the hardened models,
> not just the crappy ones with the Toughbook name), they cushion the
> drive, /and/ have gone to solid state. The old mechanical drives were
> just too fragile.

I've dropped tested both my Eeepc900 and the Acer netbooks from a height
of 6 inches onto a solid wooden table top while running and there has
been no effect at all. Both have SSDs.

I have done this quite a few times to demonstrate how tough they are to
other people.

I doubt any HDD would survive such a drop, remember trolls, it's running
and doing stuff at the time it's dropped.

Terry Porter

Dec 15, 2008, 9:15:04 AM12/15/08
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:43:30 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:30:59 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:
>>
>>> On 2008-12-14, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:
>>
>> <various Funkentroll nonsense, and Sinister Midgets kick ass rebuttal>
>>

> Why did you snip Sinister Midget being wrong?

I didn't. No Linux Advocate is wrong when debating Funkentroll, he's even
more clueless than you.

>>> (I really need to stop making this sort of effort at taking your crap
>>> apart. It's too easy. And you really aren't worth it.)
>>
>> No, please don't stop!
>>
>> There are probably 300 Linux advocates roaring with laughter while we
>> read your outstanding Funkenbreath dissection, I know I was.
>
> Laughing maniacally is not healthy.

You ought to know ....

Clogwog

Dec 15, 2008, 10:49:26 AM12/15/08
"Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> schreef in bericht

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:02:55 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:
>

>> Note that the Acer Aspire One product line is split into two groups: the
>> A110 line uses SSD for storage, and the A150 line uses hard disk. There
>> have been both Linux and XP models available in both lines.
>
> However Acer only sell Linux on the A110 to my knowledge.
>
> Please supply a URL to a windows powered A110 from Acer if you have a
> link ?

Your stoopid, yes we know! Your cockups are legendary!
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
Acer Aspire One *A110* , Prijs: vanaf 299 euro (Linux-versie) - 379 euro
(Windows-versie) (oktober 2008)
http://www.zdnet.nl/reviews.cfm?id=92726
--
[...]
<Liarnut's reply in cola>
"You need to do better research, Terry. I knew about most of those from
having used them. The rest were found with a simple query: xxxxxx for
windows."
"You'd have to have more cash than brains to choose the lacklustre 7 year
old XP POS, over a modern up to date Linux distribution that includes Open
Office, Firefox web browser, movie and picture viewers etc."
<Hadrons reply in cola>
Oh no. Terry still doesn't realise they are free and available for Windows
too.

<more to come>
LMFAO!!!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

amicus_curious

Dec 15, 2008, 12:47:46 PM12/15/08

"Gregory Shearman" <ZekeG...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> What advantage do they have over the Linux netbooks again?

Why the amount of data that may be stored, silly! We keep telling you that
and you say that you need lots of battery life to count your chickens and
sheep. That is an advantage, certainly, when counting sheep, but it is a
disadvantage overall when playing your tunes and videos. Why does the 160GB
iPod cost more than the 80Gb version? Wouldn't everyone reject it because
of the lower batter life? Fortunately only the chicken farmers seem to
think that way, and they can be safely ignored.

Hadron

Dec 15, 2008, 12:48:37 PM12/15/08
"amicus_curious" <AC...@sti.net> writes:

You must remember that like Kelsey, Gregory probably does not see the
need for "more space" as "videos" are something he would use his "video
player (VCR no doubt) for.

As for Music on his netbook? What? Thats for his Gramophone at home.

--
"Bwahahahahahahahah - Anyone else think that this announcement from the MS
marketing machine was anything other than a last ditch attempt to try and

Snit

Dec 15, 2008, 1:08:34 PM12/15/08
"Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> stated in post
Ts6dnfyvkdWQEdjU...@netspace.net.au on 12/14/08 3:43 PM:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:15:31 +0100, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> writes:
>>

>>> Wandering thru my local office Works store yesterday I saw a man and
>>> his wife looking at netbooks in the 'laptop' section.
>>>
>>> They were looking at the Linux powered Acer Aspire One $399 and not the
>>> Windows XP powered version for $549 sitting right next to it.

>>> I'm not surprised of course as who in their right mind would want to
>>> pay an extra $150 for XP home compared for Linux?
>>
>> The great majority I guess.
>

> You would be guessing.

Is it the "I guess" that gave that away? Man, you are perceptive!

>> The ones who need SW to sync their mobile
>> phone, run itunes, run their PDAa and connect to Exchange I guess. I.e
>> the paying public.
>
> Since when are Windows users the *paying* public ?

As you noted: they pay for it when it comes on the computer.

>>> You'd have to have more cash than brains to choose the lacklustre 7
>>> year old XP POS, over a modern up to date Linux distribution that
>>> includes Open Office, Firefox web browser, movie and picture viewers
>>> etc.
>>

>> Oh no.
>>
>> Terry still doesn't realise they are free and available for Windows too.
>

> *available* NOT installed and ready to run at the click of a menu as they
> are on the Linux Acer Aspire One.

At least you realize that something being pre-installed is a benefit.

> As I have pointed out previously, *available* does not mean *installable*
> under Windows.

It is *installable*... just not installed. And, yes, being pre-installed
would be a benefit.

> If you are a casual COLA reader and believe these bozos, *try* installing
> the above apps from the list of URL's that the trolls will now supply and
> get back to us about how easy/hard it is to install Linux designed apps
> on Windows ?

Why would you install the Linux versions on Windows? Don't you realize
there are native Windows versions?

>> Oh - My - God!
>>

>>> The Linux unit is PACKED with features, in a easy to use GUI.
>>>
>>> Talking about a lack of brains, the trolls DFS, Ezekiel, Snit, Hadrongo
>>> and Erik Funkenbusch etc will be along shortly wailing and gnashing
>>> their teeth crying "lies, lies and more lies".
>>
>> What are you talking about? I think Linux is great for a netbook and
>> posted my views on them LONG before you turned up here making a dick out
>> of yourself time and time again.
>
> That would be nice, if a troll actually had any credibility. You're a
> troll, and you don't.

You are the one who lied about me in this very thread.

>>> Ignore them, they are sad trolls living in the past, sitting on their
>>> fat unemployed arses in the present, hoping for a happy life tomorrow.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing. - Unknown

Clogwog

Snit

Dec 15, 2008, 1:30:51 PM12/15/08
"Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> stated in post
Svqdnc-Jb_-LotvU...@netspace.net.au on 12/15/08 4:27 AM:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 03:34:45 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> "Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> stated in post

> <snip>
>
>>> As a troll are already predispositioned to take a contrary position to
>>> anything I say ?
>>
>> Er?
>
> Sorry left out a word, the line should have read :-
>
> As a troll, you are already predispositioned to take a contrary position
> to anything I say ?

Ah, you start with name calling and end with unsupported accusations.

I had hoped for better from you.

All you did is run from my comments. Oh well... I had hoped for more but
did not expect more.

--
I think we [the folks who make Linux desktops] don't yet deliver a good
enough user experience.

Message has been deleted

JEDIDIAH

Dec 15, 2008, 4:58:04 PM12/15/08
On 2008-12-15, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "amicus_curious" <AC...@sti.net> writes:
>
>> "Gregory Shearman" <ZekeG...@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> What advantage do they have over the Linux netbooks again?
>>
>> Why the amount of data that may be stored, silly! We keep telling you
>> that and you say that you need lots of battery life to count your
>> chickens and sheep. That is an advantage, certainly, when counting
>> sheep, but it is a disadvantage overall when playing your tunes and
>> videos. Why does the 160GB iPod cost more than the 80Gb version?
>> Wouldn't everyone reject it because of the lower batter life?
>> Fortunately only the chicken farmers seem to think that way, and they
>> can be safely ignored.
>>

> You must remember that like Kelsey, Gregory probably does not see the
> need for "more space" as "videos" are something he would use his "video

What happened to the iPhone being the end all and be all for this
purpose. What? Someone might find their "Jack of all Trades" not up to
the task due to something sill like bulk storage?

> player (VCR no doubt) for.
>
> As for Music on his netbook? What? Thats for his Gramophone at home.

Netbooks make dandy DVR clients.

--
"Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether
the idea will move the industry forward, they ask, |||

-- Bill Gates

Hadron

Dec 15, 2008, 5:18:50 PM12/15/08
JEDIDIAH <je...@nomad.mishnet> writes:

> On 2008-12-15, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "amicus_curious" <AC...@sti.net> writes:
>>
>>> "Gregory Shearman" <ZekeG...@netscape.net> wrote in message

>>> Why the amount of data that may be stored, silly! We keep telling you
>>> that and you say that you need lots of battery life to count your
>>> chickens and sheep. That is an advantage, certainly, when counting
>>> sheep, but it is a disadvantage overall when playing your tunes and
>>> videos. Why does the 160GB iPod cost more than the 80Gb version?
>>> Wouldn't everyone reject it because of the lower batter life?
>>> Fortunately only the chicken farmers seem to think that way, and they
>>> can be safely ignored.
>>>

>> You must remember that like Kelsey, Gregory probably does not see the
>> need for "more space" as "videos" are something he would use his "video
>
> What happened to the iPhone being the end all and be all for this
> purpose. What? Someone might find their "Jack of all Trades" not up to
> the task due to something sill like bulk storage?

Except no one said it was the be all and end all. You are telling lies
and making things up again. No one said, for example, that an iPhone was
a replacement for a laptop or netbook for most people.

>> player (VCR no doubt) for.
>>
>> As for Music on his netbook? What? Thats for his Gramophone at home.
>>

> Netbooks make dandy DVR clients.

And video satellites via wireless nfs.

--
- "Actually XP *is* getting press, but most of it is along the lines of
"we're going to wait and see", in other words not very good."

Chris Ahlstrom

Dec 15, 2008, 6:13:45 PM12/15/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> JEDIDIAH <je...@nomad.mishnet> writes:
>
>> What happened to the iPhone being the end all and be all for this
>> purpose. What? Someone might find their "Jack of all Trades" not up to
>> the task due to something sill like bulk storage?
>
> Except no one said it was the be all and end all. You are telling lies
> and making things up again. No one said, for example, that an iPhone was
> a replacement for a laptop or netbook for most people.

Poor Hadron. Conflating storage with a computer.

Shall I shout "Liar liar"? <heh heh>

--
"Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers."
-- Chip Salzenberg

Gregory Shearman

Dec 16, 2008, 3:52:42 AM12/16/08
On 2008-12-15, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2008 05:34:44 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

>>> SSD's are not faster, particularly at writes. They're something like half
>>> the speed of a typical disk drive at writes. Reads are about equivelent,
>>> however they do have the advantage of no seek time.
>>
>> So, SSDs are not only extremely rugged, they are faster. Thanks for that
>> Erik.
>
> What part of "half the speed" makes you think "faster"?

You said writes at half the speed. I call bullshit.

>> So, They are more fragile, they are heavier and need more power to run.

>> What advantage do they have over the Linux netbooks again?
>

> Fragile? The netbook itself is fragile. These are laptop hard drives that
> can take being dropped on a floor without damaging them, the laptop screen
> will likely break before your hard drive is damaged in transit.

Har har har... pull the other one. It plays Jingle Bells.

Did I see a goalpost move? "Damaged in Transit"... yep... Huffpuff
Erik... move those goalposts.

Drop the fucker on the floor while it is working...

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Gregory Shearman

Dec 16, 2008, 3:55:36 AM12/16/08
On 2008-12-15, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:05:58 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:
>
> I've dropped tested both my Eeepc900 and the Acer netbooks from a height
> of 6 inches onto a solid wooden table top while running and there has
> been no effect at all. Both have SSDs.
>
> I have done this quite a few times to demonstrate how tough they are to
> other people.
>
> I doubt any HDD would survive such a drop, remember trolls, it's running
> and doing stuff at the time it's dropped.

HuffPuff Erik is moving the goalposts... "Damaged in Transit"...

Just push those goalposts a little further away Erik!

Gregory Shearman

Dec 16, 2008, 3:57:48 AM12/16/08

Not even worthy of a reply. Try harder if you want to be noticed.

Gregory Shearman

Dec 16, 2008, 3:59:49 AM12/16/08
On 2008-12-15, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> JEDIDIAH <je...@nomad.mishnet> writes:
>>
>>> What happened to the iPhone being the end all and be all for this
>>> purpose. What? Someone might find their "Jack of all Trades" not up to
>>> the task due to something sill like bulk storage?
>>
>> Except no one said it was the be all and end all. You are telling lies
>> and making things up again. No one said, for example, that an iPhone was
>> a replacement for a laptop or netbook for most people.
>
> Poor Hadron. Conflating storage with a computer.
>
> Shall I shout "Liar liar"? <heh heh>

What the fuck would I want massive storage for? I've got a whole network
worth of storage.

Chris Ahlstrom

Dec 16, 2008, 7:16:36 AM12/16/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> On 2008-12-15, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Except no one said it was the be all and end all. You are telling lies
>>> and making things up again. No one said, for example, that an iPhone was
>>> a replacement for a laptop or netbook for most people.
>>
>> Poor Hadron. Conflating storage with a computer.
>>
>> Shall I shout "Liar liar"? <heh heh>
>
> What the fuck would I want massive storage for? I've got a whole network
> worth of storage.

That's what I find funny about large storage on a netbook. It's a
nice-to-have, but not a necessity, and certainly a detriment to cost with an
SSD, and certainly a detriment to battery-life with an HD.

All you need is enough storage for / and /home. The rest can be taken care
of using an SD memory cartridge or two.

--
Maier's Law:
If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.

Corollaries:
(1) The bigger the theory, the better.
(2) The experiment may be considered a success if no more than
50% of the observed measurements must be discarded to
obtain a correspondence with the theory.

It is loading more messages.