[News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

Roy Schestowitz

Apr 4, 2008, 5:24:33 PM4/4/08
New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software

,----[ Quote ]
| The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking
| customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or
| anti-phishing protection. New Banking Codes for consumers and businesses took
| effect on Monday.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/banking_code_2008/

With unpatched vulnerabilities and AV software becoming ineffective, what will
this mean? Some people will switch to Linux or buy Macs. See the reference
below about Linux Live CDs for banking.

This is also good news because rather than sharing the burden (cost of damage)
people will suffer from their own choice of shoddy software.

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Related:

In zombies we trust

,----[ Quote ]
| A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
| style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
| were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
| months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
| months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
| 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
| counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661

Secure web browsing through Live Linux distros

,----[ Quote ]
| Banking isn't the be-all and end-all: there's many other reasons you'd
| want a secure system, separate from what's on the hard disk, besides
| Internet banking. Traveller's can't necessarily trust the integrity of
| a computer in an Internet cafe.
`----

Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
| in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has warned.
|
| The Financial Services Authority (FSA) told peers it was "very concerned"
| about the growth in "phishing".
`----

7

Apr 4, 2008, 7:12:22 PM4/4/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking
> | customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or
> | anti-phishing protection. New Banking Codes for consumers and businesses
> | took effect on Monday.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/banking_code_2008/

Thats exactly what I raised as a concern for an online
shopping cart facility.
Banks and credit card companies are now blaming and billing
their customers (companies with webshites) for any loss.

The problem does not go away until micoshaft products are
removed from the network. And if that means removing staff
who haven't made the switch to Linux, then I'm afraid they too have to
be fenced off from the internet.

> With unpatched vulnerabilities and AV software becoming ineffective, what
> will this mean? Some people will switch to Linux or buy Macs. See the
> reference below about Linux Live CDs for banking.
>
> This is also good news because rather than sharing the burden (cost of
> damage) people will suffer from their own choice of shoddy software.
>

> Recent:
>
> Bots rule in cyberspace
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
> | computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam,
> | viruses and to mine for sensitive personal data.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17

bots-rule-cyberspace
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 4, 2008, 7:18:06 PM4/4/08

So says Roy Schestowitz whose Linux server at www.schestowitz.com was
hacked and owned a couple of weeks ago.
--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Lintard

Apr 4, 2008, 7:39:57 PM4/4/08
On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 23:12:22 GMT, troll 7 said after being slapped:

>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/banking_code_2008/
>

> Thats exactly what I raised as a concern for an online
> shopping cart facility.
> Banks and credit card companies are now blaming and billing
> their customers (companies with webshites) for any loss.

Okay Joseph, whatever you say...webshit master!

> The problem does not go away until micoshaft products are
> removed from the network. And if that means removing staff
> who haven't made the switch to Linux, then I'm afraid they too have to
> be fenced off from the internet.

So you are jobless, eh? No wonder why you infested COLA.

Colin Wilson

Apr 4, 2008, 7:43:37 PM4/4/08
> So says Roy Schestowitz whose Linux server at www.schestowitz.com was
> hacked and owned a couple of weeks ago.

But since you appear to be the only user of the site, the odds of
there being a mass credit card siphoning operation occurring are nil.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 4, 2008, 8:20:58 PM4/4/08

Nope.

I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com.

It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.

NoStop

Apr 4, 2008, 10:19:21 PM4/4/08
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 00:43:37 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:
>
>>> So says Roy Schestowitz whose Linux server at www.schestowitz.com was
>>> hacked and owned a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>> But since you appear to be the only user of the site, the odds of
>> there being a mass credit card siphoning operation occurring are nil.
>
> Nope.
>
> I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com.
>
> It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
> Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.

Hehehehe, another paranoid Windoze user. Surprised you could find a hosts
file.

Cheers.

--

"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make

--Paul Maritz, senior vice-president of platforms and applications,
Microsoft

Latest Patch for MS Word ...
http://tinyurl.com/2cpbev

How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 4, 2008, 10:27:02 PM4/4/08
On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:19:21 -0700, NoStop wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

>>> But since you appear to be the only user of the site, the odds of
>>> there being a mass credit card siphoning operation occurring are nil.
>>
>> Nope.
>>
>> I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com.
>>
>> It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
>> Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.
>>

> Hehehehe, another paranoid Windoze user. Surprised you could find a hosts
> file.
>
> Cheers.

Not paranoid......
Smart.....

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.windows-xp/msg/8d6938874178923d

Now go back to your daily chore of figuring out how to make Linux function.

Colin Wilson

Apr 5, 2008, 5:14:11 AM4/5/08
> I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com
> It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
> Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.

Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
followed by MI5)

dennis@home

Apr 5, 2008, 7:48:53 AM4/5/08

"Colin Wilson" <REMOVEEVERYTHI...@phoenixbbsZEROSPAM.co.uk> wrote
in message news:MPG.2261533d7...@news.motzarella.org...

We are following him.

Colin Wilson

Apr 5, 2008, 9:59:04 AM4/5/08
> > (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
> > followed by MI5)
> We are following him.

I know, but the trick is to do it without letting him know it's for
real :-p

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 5, 2008, 11:10:52 AM4/5/08

Nahh.

For paranoia you need to check out Roy Schestowitz.

He thinks people poisoned PJ of Groklaw to silence her.

He is convinced that Microsoft is out to get him, etc.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/1895edc63827ebe5?hl=en&

"You know, being a little paranoid here, I'm beginning to wonder if PJ's
burnout ("health break") is a result of ongoing stomach illness that comes
from deliberate food poisoning. No, I'm not suggesting someone is putting
something in her food. I never said anything like this. No way. "

Now THAT is one paranoid person.
THAT person is Roy Schestowitz.

As for the website, I am simply pointing out the hypocrisy of some of the
Linux loons, like Schestowitz, who post reams of material claiming how
superior Linux is to Windows as far as security is concerned.

I find it humorous that one of the biggest Linux foghorns had his own site,
running Linux BTW, hacked.

Colin Wilson

Apr 5, 2008, 12:40:27 PM4/5/08
> I find it humorous that one of the biggest Linux foghorns had his own site,
> running Linux BTW, hacked.

It's not like a windows server is 100% secure though is it, let's be
fair here !

One hacked site doesn't make it endemic and worthless, unlike some
operating systems you could name.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 5, 2008, 1:12:10 PM4/5/08

Of course not but you have to take the entire situation into context with
the most important part being WHO was hacked.
Not that Linux was hacked.

Hadron

Apr 5, 2008, 3:15:24 PM4/5/08
Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:14:11 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:
>
>>> I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com
>>> It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
>>> Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.
>>
>> Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
>> obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
>> paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
>> followed by MI5)
>
> Nahh.
>
> For paranoia you need to check out Roy Schestowitz.
>
> He thinks people poisoned PJ of Groklaw to silence her.
>
> He is convinced that Microsoft is out to get him, etc.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/1895edc63827ebe5?hl=en&
>
> "You know, being a little paranoid here, I'm beginning to wonder if PJ's
> burnout ("health break") is a result of ongoing stomach illness that comes
> from deliberate food poisoning. No, I'm not suggesting someone is putting
> something in her food. I never said anything like this. No way. "
>
> Now THAT is one paranoid person.
> THAT person is Roy Schestowitz.

Is that for real????????????????

Holy cow. And this is the nut job Liarnut fornicates with on a daily
basis? Has he no shame?

--
This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable.

NoStop

Apr 5, 2008, 3:32:56 PM4/5/08
Hadron wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
>>> obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
>>> paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
>>> followed by MI5)
>>
>> Nahh.
>>
>> For paranoia you need to check out Roy Schestowitz.
>>
>> He thinks people poisoned PJ of Groklaw to silence her.
>>
>> He is convinced that Microsoft is out to get him, etc.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/1895edc63827ebe5?hl=en&

>> "You know, being a little paranoid here, I'm beginning to wonder if PJ's
>> burnout ("health break") is a result of ongoing stomach illness that
>> comes from deliberate food poisoning. No, I'm not suggesting someone is
>> putting something in her food. I never said anything like this. No way. "
>>
>> Now THAT is one paranoid person.
>> THAT person is Roy Schestowitz.
>
> Is that for real????????????????
>
> Holy cow. And this is the nut job Liarnut fornicates with on a daily
> basis? Has he no shame?

Have YOU no shame, always aligning yourself with Flatfish/Mr. Soap Bubbles?
And you claim to support FOSS!

Cheers.

--
The world can't afford the rich.

How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 5, 2008, 4:24:04 PM4/5/08
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:15:24 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
>>> obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
>>> paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
>>> followed by MI5)
>>
>> Nahh.
>>
>> For paranoia you need to check out Roy Schestowitz.
>>
>> He thinks people poisoned PJ of Groklaw to silence her.
>>
>> He is convinced that Microsoft is out to get him, etc.
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/1895edc63827ebe5?hl=en&
>>
>> "You know, being a little paranoid here, I'm beginning to wonder if PJ's
>> burnout ("health break") is a result of ongoing stomach illness that comes
>> from deliberate food poisoning. No, I'm not suggesting someone is putting
>> something in her food. I never said anything like this. No way. "
>>
>> Now THAT is one paranoid person.
>> THAT person is Roy Schestowitz.
>
> Is that for real????????????????
>
> Holy cow. And this is the nut job Liarnut fornicates with on a daily
> basis? Has he no shame?

Yes it *IS* for real and he was not kidding.

Like I said, Roy Schestowtiz is a couple of bricks shy of a full load and
he proves me correct every day with his ranting's.

Patty Pippins

Apr 5, 2008, 10:32:36 PM4/5/08
Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/01/moshe-goldfarb-troll.html
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html

Traits:

Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

Patty Pippins

Apr 5, 2008, 10:33:05 PM4/5/08

Patty Pippins

Apr 5, 2008, 10:33:38 PM4/5/08

Colin Wilson

Apr 6, 2008, 5:23:05 AM4/6/08
> the most important part being WHO was hacked.

Some jewish sounding guy, so what ?

Roy Schestowitz

Apr 6, 2008, 11:57:46 AM4/6/08
____/ NoStop on Saturday 05 April 2008 20:32 : \____

He never supported FOSS. And like all Microsoft Munchkins, they only support
libel (in this case against me).

--
~~ Best of wishes

"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make it
easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal computers."

--Paul Maritz, Microsoft