[News] [Rival] Microsoft Hotmail Sinks Like a Rock, People Leave

1 view

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 11, 2008, 10:41:38ā€ÆPM11/11/08

Hotmail posts decline in traffic in U.S.

,----[ Quote ]
| Many Hotmail users are threatening to leave the e-mail service in the wake of
| its most recent redesign. Turns out, though, that even before the revamp,
| they were on their way out, at least in the U.S.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/153992.asp?source=rss

Hotmail holdouts grumble about 'pathetic' new interface

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft isnā€™t having much luck with the redesign of Hotmail, which is
| currently playing havoc with thousands of userā€™s emails.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/11/hotmail_interface_redesign_blunder/

Recent:

Hotmail users bitch and moan about new interface

,----[ Quote ]
| We asked Microsoft if it would respond to Hotmail users and their grumbles by
| providing the option to switch between modes, but at time of writing the
| company had not responded to our request for comment
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/07/hotmail_new_interface_complaints/

Microsoft breaks HotMail for Linux users?

,----[ Quote ]
| A Linux-Watch reader today reported difficulties using Microsoft's Hotmail
| service with Firefox browsers running on Linux operating systems. We
| confirmed that creating a new Hotmail account was not possible, due to an
| error message suggesting a "browser upgrade."
`----

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6023147333.html?kc=rss

Microsoft Announces Changes for Accessing Hotmail with Outlook Express

,----[ Quote ]
| Important news if you currently access your Windows Live Hotmail with Outlook
| Express, come June 30th. this will no longer be possible.
|
| Ā  Ā  A change is coming for users that access Hotmail with Outlook Express.
| Ā  Ā  Outlook Express uses a protocol called DAV (Distributed Authoring and
| Ā  Ā  Versioning protocol) to access a Windows Liveā„¢ HotmailĀ® e-mail account.
| Ā  Ā  DAV, like POP3 or IMAP, is the way that a mail client communicates with a
| Ā  Ā  web-based mail server.
`----

http://www.liveside.net/blogs/main/archive/2008/04/18/microsoft-announces-changes-for-accessing-hotmail-with-outlook-express.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/43rg86

Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users "Switch
to Outlook Express"

,----[ Quote ]
| Iā€™m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (donā€™t laught, I
| subscribed back when Hotmail wasnā€™t owned by Microsoft). Recently, in order
| to compete with Google on the Web, Hotmailā€™s interface was overhauled: it now
| has a ā€œclassicā€ interface, which works reasonably well but is still rather
| limited, and a supposedly ā€œFullā€ interface that should make it the equal of
| sites like Google Apps and Yahoo Mail/Calendar/etc.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/hotmail_doesnt_work_with_firefox_2

Related:

Hotmail engine overhaul

,----[ Quote ]
| The redesign effort, even its more ambitious aspects, is not
| a total wash, however.
|
| [...]
|
| With Hotmail, Microsoft was at the end of its development rope.
| Every new feature basically had to be "hacked" into the code.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6181819-2.html?tag=st.next

A Hybrid Approach to E-Mail: The Best of Both Worlds

,----[ Quote ]
| Given corporations' existing investments and their potential need to
| support additional Microsoft Exchange-compatible applications in the
| future, this hybrid open/proprietary approach will only work if it
| allows users to drop in an e-mail server without making changes to
| desktops or infrastructure.
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach employs a product that is compatible at the
| network-protocol level with the existing infrastructure. Outlook
| on the desktop will "think" it is talking to Exchange when it is
| really talking to the new Linux e-mail server, and end users do
| not know they are on a different server. IT professionals get a
| Linux e-mail server with higher performance, that uses lower-cost
| storage, and that works with existing datacenter applications such
| as Active Directory.
`----

Hotmail's antispam measures snuff out legit emails, too

,----[ Quote ]
| Hotmail users and email server admins, beware: you may be unknowingly
| caught in the crossfire of Microsoft's war on spam. Unintended
| casualties include legitimate emails from domains with
| well-established reputations, which are systematically blocked
| with absolutely no notice and little recourse.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/01/hotmail_friendly_fire/

Hotmail still riddled with spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
| Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Hotmail addresses are spam.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| The findings will disappoint Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who
| predicted at the 2004 Davos World Economic Forum that spam would
| be "eliminated" within two years.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2188226/hotmail-riddled-spam-admits

Itā€™s ME vs. MICROSOFT - Who Will Win ?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, the only problem with #1 is that IT DOES NOT WORK. When Microsoft
| blackholes your email, or bounces it with ā€œ550 Your e-mail was rejected for
| policy reasons on this gateway.ā€œ, no amount of client whitelisting is going
| to help (I tried it). This leaves me with option #2 - well I say ā€œF-You
| Microsoft, Iā€™m not paying for YOUR STUPID MISTAKES!ā€
`----

http://success.grownupgeek.com/index.php/2007/09/28/its-me-vs-microsoft-who-will-win/

If Intent Can Be Proven, Microsoft Could Face Millions Of Mail Fraud Charges

,----[ Quote ]
| The final results bore out the "conventional wisdom." If emails were donuts,
| Hotmail would be HomerSimpsonMail. I don't need to reiterate the figures,
| there they are in blue and red. But for a Hotmail account to destroy up to
| 81% of all emails with attachments prior to their delivery to a "generic" ISP
| email account is nothing short of absurd, as these Hotmail accounts were not
| the free variety, but the fully paid ones. Compare those figures to the ones
| where the generic ISP email accounts exchanged emails with attachments and
| you will clearly see the difference. The worst performance was in making 2%
| Vanish.
`----

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hotmail_Fails_To_Deliver_Up_To_81_Of_All_Attachment_Emails

Botnet army' behind tenfold rise in 'attachment' spam

,----[ Quote ]
| "No one but the spam group knows how many PCs they can control with this
| spambot, it is assumed to be a high five figure number. If each of the PCs is
| instructed to send 200-300 spam messages containing a PDF attachment the
| spammers can send hundreds or millions of spam messages in a day - equivalent
| to 25 percent of all spam sent on a given day."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13866&Itemid=1054

Vista: What To Do When You Cannot Delete a Message in Windows Mail

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of users are experiencing problems with Windows Mail and
| deleting messages from the Inbox and Outbox. The message will first
| become unviewable in the reading pane and will then generate an
| error when you try to delete it.
`----

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2270/vista_what_to_do_when_you_cannot_delete_a_message_in_windows_mail

Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
| Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
| problems getting onto the services.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
| users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
| The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
| cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
| e-mail was laden with a virus.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6168629.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
| average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
| could find it here.
|
| Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
| because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
| real digital inequities in the world.
`----

nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu

Nov 12, 2008, 9:21:25ā€ÆAM11/12/08
> http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/153992.asp?sour...

Here are some readers' comments (and I didn't filter out those that
were favorable to hotmail, since there *were no* comments favorable to
hotmail):

"I can't say I'm surprised. I have email accounts with hotmail, yahoo
and google. Hotmail is the WORST at filtering spam. I only use it when
I sign up for free samples and things, because I know I can just go in
once a month and delete everything, since it's all crud. Google gives
you the ability to send and receive huge attachments, too. Hotmail
just isn't that impressive."

"Hotmail was pretty good before Microsoft bought it!"

"I dropped Hotmail in favor of Gmail. Much better GUI, faster, less
spam (for now), lots more storage.

I had been with Hotmail since '95, and every evolution it made, made
it worse. Loyalty really has no benefit here."

"If the trend keeps up, Microsoft may have to get in line behind the
U.S. car makers for a government bailout. By the way, Hotmail still
doesn't work correctly; how many weeks has it been now?"

"I am sick of Microsoft sending me all their various flavors of
corporate spam to my hotmail."

"Hotmail Eyestrain: Dreadful Ergonomics

Dear Microsoft:

I'd hate to see how you dress your kids up for school in the morning.
They must be getting beaten up by every bully in town even before
getting on the bus.

You guys have ZERO understanding of eye-pleasing color-coordination.
The new Hotmail DESPERATELY needs a choice of screen background
colors.

White is just too damn harsh on the eyes ! Either give us some relief
- or sell us some freakin' sunglasses.

And don't make our "choices" a bunch of washed-out, no-contrast sky-
blue-on-white color schemes. Surprise us pleasantly - instead of
shocking us for a change. Bring your girlfriends to work if you have
to - and get their input on what's pleasing to the eye.

This is the kind of customer sensitivity that we've come to expect
from the biggest software company in the world - the same bunch that
brought you those deceptive "Vista Capable" stickers, only to switch
them later to "Vista Ready" when the thing finally worked.

Just give us a SEPARATE choice of natural "real" colors for the tabs
and another for the background.

Since you OBVIOUSLY don't understand the concept of color coordination
ā€“ JUST LET US DO THE MIX & MATCHING OK ?

Rob"

"I stopped using Hotmail a week ago in favor of gMail. I am absolutely
thrilled after the switch. I should have done this a long time ago.
Benefits:

- Less spam. gMail has a superior spam filter. Haven't
received a single spam email in my gMail account. I
don't expect that to happen forever, but it's
definitely a nice change from the 5-6 spam emails I
received daily in my Hotmail account.

- Conversation-oriented UI: If you like to converse by
email, gMail organizes your previous emails in your
conversation (thread) and makes them available for
quick viewing. Very friendly if you can't remember the
context of a reply one receives.

- Support for different browsers. gMail works great
with Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, and Safari.
It works great on an iPhone. Hotmail has problems
with browsers other than Internet Explorer. That was
the last straw for me! When I couldn't send a Hotmail
email from my iPhone, I had to question what Microsoft
was thinking. Pure arrogance.

- Great performance. gMail loads quickly, enables you to
send emails quickly, and focuses on staying
transparent during the process of composing and
sending emails. Hotmail is slow, full of unnecessary
UI clutter, and always gets in the way of reading
and composing emails.

Who in the world is managing Hotmail now? It's really too bad, since
Hotmail was a really great Webmail application before Microsoft took
it over."

"I've had my gmail account for several years now. I can honestly say
that spam slips through the filter about one message a month, if that
often. I can leave my hotmail for 3 days and come back to 70 spam in
the inbox if not more."

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 12, 2008, 11:35:15ā€ÆAM11/12/08

Richard Rasker

Nov 12, 2008, 12:57:58ā€ÆPM11/12/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Hotmail posts decline in traffic in U.S.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Many Hotmail users are threatening to leave the e-mail service in the
> | wake of its most recent redesign. Turns out, though, that even before
> | the revamp, they were on their way out, at least in the U.S.
> `----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/153992.asp?source=rss

E-mail exchanged through Hotmail shows all the hallmarks of Microsoft's
competence, adherence to standards, interoperability, and respect for
users:

- Automatic & unavoidable default top-posting when replying
- Automatic & unavoidable ignoring of worldwide, 30-year-old standards for
quotation marks and line-endings in e-mail, causing
- Automatic & unavoidable total mess-up of quoted content
- Automatic & unavoidable Microsoft spam attached to each and every message

And indeed, recently:
- Automatic & unavoidable nag messages prodding users to upgrade browsers.

And to think that Hotmail was quite a decent service when it started out,
back in 1996. But then it was sold off to Redmond, after which the
inevitable quality erosion set in, only spiralling downwards in the past
few years. Microsoft: "Whatever works, we'll break it"

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl

Erik Funkenbusch

Nov 12, 2008, 2:28:15ā€ÆPM11/12/08
Not sure what this has to do with Linux in any way, hell it's not even
comparing the Windows OS to Linux. It's completely off topic. However,
see comments below.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 06:21:25 -0800 (PST), nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu
wrote:

> Here are some readers' comments (and I didn't filter out those that
> were favorable to hotmail, since there *were no* comments favorable to
> hotmail):

The fact of the matter is, Hotmail has been struggling for a long time, as
has virtually every other mail provider except Google. I can't stand the
new Yahoo mail interface, for instance. Too bulky. Hotmail is largely the
same. I used classic for ages until they got rid of it, and I dislike the
new interface (and i'm not the kind of person that hates things just
because of change, as I like the new Start menu's, the Ribbon, etc..)

When Microsoft fucks up, I'm not afraid to say so. Hotmail has been a
major fuckup for a while.

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 12, 2008, 2:46:20ā€ÆPM11/12/08

Terry Porter

Nov 12, 2008, 7:40:56ā€ÆPM11/12/08
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:28:15 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Not sure what this has to do with Linux in any way, hell it's not even
> comparing the Windows OS to Linux. It's completely off topic.

Thats none of your business Erik The Wintroll. By definition
*everything*, every single post you have ever posted on COLA is against
the COLA charter.

COLA exists to discuss the advantages of Linux, which you have *NEVER*
done.

> However,
> see comments below.
>
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 06:21:25 -0800 (PST), nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu
> wrote:
>
>> Here are some readers' comments (and I didn't filter out those that
>> were favorable to hotmail, since there *were no* comments favorable to
>> hotmail):
>
> The fact of the matter is, Hotmail has been struggling for a long time,
> as has virtually every other mail provider except Google.

Who run *everything* on Linux. Amazing coincidence hey ?

> I can't stand
> the new Yahoo mail interface, for instance. Too bulky. Hotmail is
> largely the same. I used classic for ages until they got rid of it, and
> I dislike the new interface (and i'm not the kind of person that hates
> things just because of change, as I like the new Start menu's, the
> Ribbon, etc..)
>
> When Microsoft fucks up, I'm not afraid to say so.

But you're afraid to agree when someone on COLA points out the same
thing. In fact you do the complete opposite.

> Hotmail has been a
> major fuckup for a while.

It's owned by Microsoft. Amazing coincidence hey ?

indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

Erik Funkenbusch

Nov 12, 2008, 8:05:37ā€ÆPM11/12/08
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:40:56 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:28:15 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> Not sure what this has to do with Linux in any way, hell it's not even
>> comparing the Windows OS to Linux. It's completely off topic.
>
> Thats none of your business Erik The Wintroll. By definition
> *everything*, every single post you have ever posted on COLA is against
> the COLA charter.
>
> COLA exists to discuss the advantages of Linux, which you have *NEVER*
> done.

You are such a liar. I have posted many articles directly related to
Linux. Here's a few examples. After all, as you said, it just takes one
to prove you a liar.

Here's one from just 3 days ago.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/bb15f2063d2f297b

>> The fact of the matter is, Hotmail has been struggling for a long time,
>> as has virtually every other mail provider except Google.
>
> Who run *everything* on Linux. Amazing coincidence hey ?

Yahoo runs on Linux too, so how's that a coincidence?

If you had half a brain, you'd understand that Hotmail and Yahoo's problems
are related to their presentation design, which is code that runs on the
client, not the server.

But since you don't have half a brain, this simple concept baffles you.

>> When Microsoft fucks up, I'm not afraid to say so.
>
> But you're afraid to agree when someone on COLA points out the same
> thing. In fact you do the complete opposite.

How stupid can you be Terry? *I JUST DID AGREE WHEN SOMEONE ON COLA POINTS
OUT THE SAME THING*

Wow.

>> Hotmail has been a
>> major fuckup for a while.
>
> It's owned by Microsoft. Amazing coincidence hey ?

What's Yahoo's problem?

Terry Porter

Nov 12, 2008, 9:43:22ā€ÆPM11/12/08
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:05:37 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:40:56 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:28:15 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure what this has to do with Linux in any way, hell it's not even
>>> comparing the Windows OS to Linux. It's completely off topic.
>>
>> Thats none of your business Erik The Wintroll. By definition
>> *everything*, every single post you have ever posted on COLA is against
>> the COLA charter.
>>
>> COLA exists to discuss the advantages of Linux, which you have *NEVER*
>> done.
>
> You are such a liar. I have posted many articles directly related to
> Linux.

"Directly related to Linux" and "discuss the advantages of Linux" are not
the same thing Erik, must I lead you like a child, you dense little
Wintroll ?

> Here's a few examples. After all, as you said, it just takes
> one to prove you a liar.
>
> Here's one from just 3 days ago.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/
thread/bb15f2063d2f297b

You don't know how to quote a previous post here fro all to read?

I guess you can't find it in your Windows newsreaders *binary*
database, ... guffaw.

Erik Funkenbusch

Nov 12, 2008, 9:55:09ā€ÆPM11/12/08
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:43:22 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:05:37 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>>> Thats none of your business Erik The Wintroll. By definition
>>> *everything*, every single post you have ever posted on COLA is against
>>> the COLA charter.
>>>
>>> COLA exists to discuss the advantages of Linux, which you have *NEVER*
>>> done.
>>
>> You are such a liar. I have posted many articles directly related to
>> Linux.
>
> "Directly related to Linux" and "discuss the advantages of Linux" are not
> the same thing Erik, must I lead you like a child, you dense little
> Wintroll ?

I have posted a number of such messages, Terry. But instead, you would
rather just lie, like when you claim I couldn't respond to Kelsey's
example, which I did in fact do, but you keep pretending otherwise.

>> Here's a few examples. After all, as you said, it just takes
>> one to prove you a liar.
>>
>> Here's one from just 3 days ago.
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/
> thread/bb15f2063d2f297b
>
> You don't know how to quote a previous post here fro all to read?
>
> I guess you can't find it in your Windows newsreaders *binary*
> database, ... guffaw.

I don't need to quote anything. The thread is there for all to read. Oh,
wait, you don't know how to click on a google link, do you?

Terry Porter

Nov 13, 2008, 2:46:05ā€ÆAM11/13/08
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:55:09 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:43:22 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

>>> You are such a liar. I have posted many articles directly related to
>>> Linux.
>>
>> "Directly related to Linux" and "discuss the advantages of Linux" are
>> not the same thing Erik, must I lead you like a child, you dense little
>> Wintroll ?
>
> I have posted a number of such messages, Terry. But instead, you would
> rather just lie, like when you claim I couldn't respond to Kelsey's
> example, which I did in fact do, but you keep pretending otherwise.

I saw your lacklustre attempt, avoiding the issues as always, and Kelsey
wasn't impressed. If he was, you can be sure he will jump right in here
and correct me.

>>> Here's a few examples. After all, as you said, it just takes
>>> one to prove you a liar.
>>>
>>> Here's one from just 3 days ago.
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/
>> thread/bb15f2063d2f297b
>>

>> You don't know how to quote a previous post here for all to read?

>> I guess you can't find it in your Windows newsreaders *binary*
>> database, ... guffaw.
>
> I don't need to quote anything.

Sure you do, you claim to have proof of your claim, lets see it.

> The thread is there for all to read.

You post your FUD *here* Erik Funkentroll, lets see any proof of your
claims *here* as well.

You have only three reasons for not posting the proof of your claims made
here, in the same thread.

1) Your Windows newsreader is incapable of it, and you can't use
PowerShill to help you find it ?
2) Wintrolls are stupid ?
3) Both of the above

Gregory Shearman

Nov 13, 2008, 3:13:01ā€ÆAM11/13/08
On 2008-11-12, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:
> Not sure what this has to do with Linux in any way, hell it's not even
> comparing the Windows OS to Linux. It's completely off topic. However,
> see comments below.
>
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 06:21:25 -0800 (PST), nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu
> wrote:
>
>> Here are some readers' comments (and I didn't filter out those that
>> were favorable to hotmail, since there *were no* comments favorable to
>> hotmail):
>
> The fact of the matter is, Hotmail has been struggling for a long time, as
> has virtually every other mail provider except Google. I can't stand the
> new Yahoo mail interface, for instance. Too bulky. Hotmail is largely the
> same. I used classic for ages until they got rid of it, and I dislike the
> new interface (and i'm not the kind of person that hates things just
> because of change, as I like the new Start menu's, the Ribbon, etc..)

I use imap to connect to my mail. Doesn't Yahoo mail and Hotmail have
imap protocol connectivity? I much prefer to use mutt and imap to a slow
web interface.

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 13, 2008, 7:51:35ā€ÆAM11/13/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

The current Linux Journal has an article about using some relatively simple
scripting to provide mutt with "virtual folders" (a folder that contains
symlinks to all emails containing a particular search term, for example).

Mutt /is/ the most widely-used mail client, you know. My favorite, that's
for sure.

--
How doth the little crocodile Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile On every golden scale!

Gregory Shearman

Nov 13, 2008, 6:08:54ā€ÆPM11/13/08
On 2008-11-13, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On 2008-11-12, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The fact of the matter is, Hotmail has been struggling for a long time, as
>>> has virtually every other mail provider except Google. I can't stand the
>>> new Yahoo mail interface, for instance. Too bulky. Hotmail is largely the
>>> same. I used classic for ages until they got rid of it, and I dislike the
>>> new interface (and i'm not the kind of person that hates things just
>>> because of change, as I like the new Start menu's, the Ribbon, etc..)
>>
>> I use imap to connect to my mail. Doesn't Yahoo mail and Hotmail have
>> imap protocol connectivity? I much prefer to use mutt and imap to a slow
>> web interface.
>
> The current Linux Journal has an article about using some relatively simple
> scripting to provide mutt with "virtual folders" (a folder that contains
> symlinks to all emails containing a particular search term, for example).
>
> Mutt /is/ the most widely-used mail client, you know. My favorite, that's
> for sure.

Yeah, you should try to use these bloated and stupid Javascript web mail
monstrosities when you've got limited bandwidth and download caps....
like we suffer from in Australia. I don't need to download the
advertising when I'm paying for it.

Mutt and imap... fast and simple.