Macro/Class long name limits

edspyhill

Jan 27, 2005, 8:56:53 PM1/27/05
How are Macro/Class long names limited and what is the limit? Is there a
combined total bytes of all the long names used? Can I declare more
4-character Macro/Class variables than 8-character ones?

Ed S.

Claus Aßmann

Jan 30, 2005, 2:50:02 PM1/30/05

You can take a look at the fine source code :-)

sendmail/conf.h

#define MAXMACROID 0377 /* max macro id number */

That's octal, hence 255 macros are possible.
It's split (sendmail/macro.c)
127 macros with multi-char names
127 macros with single-char names
(maybe off by one depending on whether 0 is possible...)

#define MAXMACNAMELEN 25 /* max macro name length */

Whether you use 4 or 8 chars doesn't matter (why should it?).
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

edsp...@yahoo.com

Jan 31, 2005, 3:21:30 PM1/31/05

Claus,

I had 33 macros/classes defined in my .m4 file (Sendmail Switch). When
I created the 34th macro I started getting the errors "macro/class
names too long". I commented out 5 macros that were no longer
necessary and that fixed my problem. I asked the question about 4 or 8
character macros thinking that in addition to a limit to the total
number of macros there was also a limit on the total number of
characters for all macros/classes defined.

In the future I'll also check the source code when researching a
problem/question.

Thank you for the information.

Ed S.

Claus Aßmann

Jan 31, 2005, 5:34:48 PM1/31/05
wrote:

> I had 33 macros/classes defined in my .m4 file (Sendmail Switch). When
> I created the 34th macro I started getting the errors "macro/class
> names too long". I commented out 5 macros that were no longer

Is that really the verbatim error? I can't find that error message
in the source code (maybe it's composed of some parts...).

Or is the error maybe this:

"Macro/class {%s}: too many long names"

PS: it always helps if you make your question more specific:
instead of asking "what is the limit of X" ask: "I got this
error: .... when I did Y...". That makes it clearer that you
have a real problem instead of a theoretical question
which might cause people to actually answer.

edspyhill

Jan 31, 2005, 11:07:05 PM1/31/05

"Claus Aßmann" <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de>
wrote in message news:ctmbq8$f8t$1...@zardoc.esmtp.org...

Claus,

I didn't present the problem I was having and ask for a solution. I simply
asked for the limits for long macro/class names. I could not locate that
information here or in the READMEs and op/doc. My reply was just
informational so I did not type the error message verbatum. I wanted to get
the long macro/class limits documented here for future searches.

Original post:

"How are Macro/Class long names limited and what is the limit? Is there a
combined total bytes of all the long names used? Can I declare more
4-character Macro/Class variables than 8-character ones?"

Thank you again for the information about macro/class limits. Apologies for
any confusion caused by my last, informational reply.

Ed S.