SICP video lectures - Subtitles Project

Anton Tayanovskyy

Mar 28, 2008, 1:37:37 PM3/28/08
Those of us who know and love SICP, also must have noticed the course
video lectures:

http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/

The problem: while these are great, Abelson and Sussman's accents are
not very accessible for non-native speakers.

The solution: there are two Ukrainians, Sergey Khenkin, and me, who
started sicptitles.org to provide subtitles for the lectures.

The plan goes:

1. Provide English subtitles
2. Translate them (Russian, Ukrainian, ?)
3. Distribute the subtitles in SRT format
4. Liberate the lectures from proprietary DivX/Mp3
5. Package them with subtitles
6. Introduce Scheme to university curricula in Ukraine
7. Convince Abelson to kick Python out and bring Scheme back at MIT,
teach 6.001 not C1
8. Rewrite the kernel in Scheme
9. you name it....

Seriously, though, we could use some help, especially from native
English speakers.

What can be done right now is proofreading the Lecture-1a subtitles
for grammar, ideally also checking with the corresponding video:

http://code.google.com/p/sicp-subtitles/source/browse/trunk/subtitles/en/srt/Lecture-1a.srt

Thanks,

--Anton

kib

Mar 28, 2008, 4:56:22 PM3/28/08
Hi Anton,

I can't help you as my English is rather poor, but that's a
nice idea and I can help for a French translation if needed.

See you,

Christophe K.

Sergey Khenkin

Mar 28, 2008, 6:14:45 PM3/28/08
Hi Cristophe, bonsoir!

I think French translation would be just great!
Could you please join us in our discussion group at
http://groups.google.com/group/sicp-subtitles and let us know your
google account email so that we could add you to the project members?

Regards,
Sergey Khenkin

kib

Mar 28, 2008, 6:22:07 PM3/28/08