Looking for STL benchmark code

Steve

Jun 11, 2005, 10:47:35 AM6/11/05

I'm currently looking a porting our Windows Codewarrior based C++ projects
to MinGW and/or Visual Studio and I'm just wondering if there is a
'standard' suite of benchmark programs I can download and compile on the
various environments that will give me an idea on the relative performance
of each STL?

For example - a test program that will run through, say, appending one
character to a string 1000000 times, copying vectors, pushing and popping on
deques and lists, that sort of thing. What other things should I be looking
at to stress-test the STL?

Any pointers to anything that exists already will be most helpful.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Steve.

Thomas Tutone

Jun 13, 2005, 3:02:13 PM6/13/05
Steve wrote:

> ...I'm just wondering if there is a

> 'standard' suite of benchmark programs I can download and compile on the
> various environments that will give me an idea on the relative performance
> of each STL?
>
> For example - a test program that will run through, say, appending one
> character to a string 1000000 times, copying vectors, pushing and popping on
> deques and lists, that sort of thing. What other things should I be looking
> at to stress-test the STL?

When you say "STL," I'm assuming you literally mean the STL - that is,
the Standard Template Library - and not the C++ Standard Library. If
so, the traditional benchmark is the Stepanov benchmark, designed by
the Alex Stepanov (the original creator of the STL) to measure
abstraction penalties. It's a little dated, and you need to update it
to standard C++ (it was written in the mid-90's), but still quite
interesting. You can find a version here:

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~wilkins/computing/benchmark/stepanov.html

Or google for "Stepanov benchmark"

Best regards,

Tom