Any low cost solution for flash programming on PowerPC 405GP JTAG?

LittleSw...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2008, 5:16:03 AM4/22/08
Howdy,

I have a PowerPC 405GP Walnut eval board. Recently, by accident,
the flash which stores U-Boot is corrupted. Therefore the board cannot
boot now. I want to use the JTAG port on the board to rewrite the
flash with new U-Boot. I found many products for this propers, but
they are too expensive for me. It costs $1000-$3000... >_< Eg:
BDI2000, Silicon Probe... What I really want is simply use JTAG
wiggler and a flash programmer to download uboot into flash. That's
all! Nothing else. It would be very pleased if anyone can tell me some
relatively low cost method to do so.
Thank you very much.

---
ShenLei

Didi

Apr 22, 2008, 5:53:26 AM4/22/08
LittleSweetMe...@gmail.com wrote:
>.... I found many products for this propers, but

> they are too expensive for me. It costs $1000-$3000... >_< Eg:
> BDI2000, Silicon Probe... What I really want is simply use JTAG
> wiggler and a flash programmer to download uboot into flash.

What I do (although I have not done it on the 405, but the
technique is general) is use JTAG boundary scan - the .bsdl files
being public - to drive/read the address and data signals and
thus program the flash. But I am doing it using my DPS based
toolchain, not sure if you can get anything you can use like
this in the wintelinux world.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

Original message: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.embedded/msg/f5e49fef51e0e83a?dmode=source

ShenLei

Apr 22, 2008, 11:13:07 PM4/22/08
Thank you. I'm studying JTAG boundary scan... >_<

---
ShenLei

"Didi" <d...@tgi-sci.com>
??????:f9881a04-1431-4403...@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

ShenLei

Apr 22, 2008, 11:15:28 PM4/22/08
[Test] I am trying to use a real news server rather than posting
from google.groups. Sorry for repeat posts if you did not filter
it before. I wonder in order to avoid treating as SPAM, should I
assign email address other than my gmail account? ^_^ Or will my
post be still SPAM-like even if I send articles through real news
server?

Howdy,

I have a PowerPC 405GP Walnut eval board. Recently, by accident,
the flash which stores U-Boot is corrupted. Therefore the board cannot
boot now. I want to use the JTAG port on the board to rewrite the

flash with new U-Boot. I found many products for this propers, but

they are too expensive for me. It costs $1000-$3000... >_< Eg:
BDI2000, Silicon Probe... What I really want is simply use JTAG

CBFalconer

Apr 23, 2008, 7:05:18 AM4/23/08
ShenLei wrote:

> [Test] I am trying to use a real news server rather than posting
> from google.groups. Sorry for repeat posts if you did not filter
> it before. I wonder in order to avoid treating as SPAM, should I
> assign email address other than my gmail account? ^_^ Or will my
> post be still SPAM-like even if I send articles through real news
> server?

However you are using the flawed Outlook Express. I suggest you
just get an installation unit for Thunderbird (see mozilla.com) and
install that.

Your email address doesn't affect the handling on Usenet. You can
use anything you like. I suggest putting your real email address
into the Reply-to: field, where it is not conveniently accessible
for spammers.

Try the download section.