Fwd: Foie Gras ... Let us stop eating this. Mcdonald & KFC Lovers

Usha Turaga-Revelli

Jan 26, 2010, 1:52:11 PM1/26/10
to birdsofsamefeathers, iycn...@googlegroups.com, Amitav Chaudhuri, DrJVDSPrasad, Asst Prof of STD,S.V Medical College, Tirupati, Jaya Prakash, kavitha...@gmail.com, Arun Gowtham, yinghua gu, tajan joseph, Raviteja Koduri, ranga Prasad, Paro, Prabhat Pant, Rahul Bose, Raj Palla, Rajitha Kanchan, Suresh E, thota prashanth, v_mar...@yahoo.com, Amina zeshan

From: rajeshwari <akkenapally...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM
To: conserva...@gmail.com, Hari Priya <harry_...@yahoo.com>, sirisha...@yahoo.co.in, shaikow...@gmail.com, sandhya esamala <sandhya...@yahoo.co.in>, Vasanta Sobha Turaga <vasant...@gmail.com>, padma shri <padmash...@yahoo.com>, "Ar.Sarat Chandra" <archite...@gmail.com>, sree laxmi <srilax...@gmail.com>, kuladeep kumar <archit...@gmail.com>, shivani kaul <architects...@gmail.com>, vamsi krishna <bal...@gmail.com>, prasad bethanabhotla <bvspr...@gmail.com>, "caulag...@gmail.com" <caulag...@gmail.com>, "onlymail...@gmail.com" <onlymail...@gmail.com>, "gorudesi...@gmail.com" <gorudesi...@gmail.com>, divya....@gmail.com, deepu...@yahoo.co.in, sai krrish <saikr...@gmail.com>, sravan kumar <srava...@gmail.com>, nagaraju m <rajuma...@gmail.com>, navnith rao <navanee...@gmail.com>, puji...@gmail.com, rebecca thomas <rtt63...@yahoo.com>, vratna...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2010, 11:34:13 PM1/26/10
to birdsofsamefeathers
Disclaimer: I am not associated with Mcdonalds or KFC in anyway! and
personally think Mcdonald's food sucks. Yum brand is not that Yum!!
------
This is exactly what Deepak was pointing out in one of his mails...
reporting without knowing the facts, spreading inauthentic
information!!

Quote Wikipedia "Foie gras (pronounced /fwɑːˈɡrɑː/ in English; French
for "fat liver") is a food product made of the liver of a duck or
goose that has been specially fattened."

1. As far as I know neither KFC nor Mcdonald serves/sells any food
made of duck or goose! at least not in India.
2. Spreading information about Foie gras is very important but
spreading wrong information about business which is no where related
to it is bad.
3. At least one of us would have got influenced by this mail and would
think twice before going to any of these joints.
4. Thousands of young generation has found employment because of these
joints, lets not kill them of their livelihood by spreading wrong
information.

Stop forwarding this mail!!

Finally, I think BoSF should have some rules on the content of mails.
Yes, they need to be moderated.

Regards,
Santosh

On Jan 26, 11:52 pm, Usha Turaga-Revelli <ushatur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

Usha Turaga-Revelli

Jan 26, 2010, 11:39:59 PM1/26/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
Really? sorry about that. This is not the first time I heard about this. And not from this source alone. I thought it was worth considering even if there is just an iota of truth in it.

Do i hear something else beyond KFC and McD here? Just a thought.

Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM, IDEO <santosh...@gmail.com>

Giri Kolanupaka

Jan 27, 2010, 12:54:23 AM1/27/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
Santosh is right by saying KFC or McD does not cook ducks in India. But the fact that these birds (chicken in India) are made to suffer just the way shown in the picture is still correct.

There have been several cases filed against KFC by PETA earlier:
http://blog.petadishoom.com/2008/09/petas_crippled_chicken_protest_1.html
http://www.icmrindia.org/casestudies/catalogue/business%20ethics/KFC%20in%20India%20-%20Ethical.htm

http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/press/kentucky.html (this is about excessive usage of MSG in fast foods).

I still advice you are a good judge of yourselves to stop or continue eating at these fast food centers. But I decided to quit!

Giri
http://kolanupaka.net

Usha Turaga-Revelli

Jan 27, 2010, 1:09:16 AM1/27/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/02/mccruelty.php

http://www.mccruelty.com/why.aspx

these are all inauthentic too? do we have some authentic source somewhere? Who will know the utter and whole truth about this matter? I am seriously curiously interested.

S.V Prasad/Madhumita Prasad

Jan 27, 2010, 1:20:26 AM1/27/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
We really should find out if these companies engage in such heinous activity. Even if its not sold in India, if they do it elsewhere we need to condemn it. It is against animal rights.

Suresh Adina

Jan 28, 2010, 5:15:18 AM1/28/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com, iycn...@googlegroups.com, Amitav Chaudhuri, DrJVDSPrasad, Asst Prof of STD,S.V Medical College, Tirupati, Jaya Prakash, kavitha...@gmail.com, Arun Gowtham, yinghua gu, tajan joseph, Raviteja Koduri, ranga Prasad, Paro, Prabhat Pant, Rahul Bose, Raj Palla, Rajitha Kanchan, Suresh E, thota prashanth, v_mar...@yahoo.com, Amina zeshan
Why do we continue to forward such mails? They are nothing but sensationalistic chain mails at best.

First thing, I do not see a connection between this mail and the business of KFC and McDonald. In general the two come under the category of fast foods (junk food in my opinion) and are not healthy for children. So I keep away from them as much as possible.

I sincerely hope that people think and use their judgment before forwarding. Fine we are condemning. So what?? who cares about whether or not we condemn in an email? The point is not to boycott them as a business. perversely, the truth is that they do create employment and do give satisfaction to some for their dietary needs. I am not going to judge people who work or eat there. It is their prerogative.

Are we to believe that Indian food chains handle them in a better way? So should we boycott all non-veg restaurants?? Where is the end to this madness?

As truly as this might have convinced some to give up going to these joints, it would certainly have disgusted some of the group members. Do their sensitivities not count? What is the final outcome of this forward other than upsetting people?

If you would like to bring about real change, investigate the matter further and publish details. And then come up with an action plan on how to change things. Not be an arm chair activist who sends mails that too created by someone else, who is most likely a pervert. I am being deliberately harsh since this has to end. Hope people concerned would open their eyes and wake up. Else we are going to become mindless than we are today.

Suresh A

Hasiba

Jan 28, 2010, 8:57:29 AM1/28/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
Hi.....its a very nice information...
i too feel that these type of instant food taking is a fashion today..
it spoil our healt only..

i also do not prefer these type of eatery item
instead of this one should prefer fruits, raw vegetables, green leafy vegetable
it gives a good health and a stamina too which our body really needs

wat i think i follow......

regards,
Hasina

Usha Turaga-Revelli

Jan 28, 2010, 10:30:09 AM1/28/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

I was the one who sent the McD mail. And this is not the first time I sent this mail and nor is it the first time I wrote to the BOSF group.

As you may have noted, I had apologised for the mail as soon as the first person responded to it. Not because I don't believe it is true. Nor because I don't think BOSF should also know about such things. I said sorry for the simple reason that I felt may be it does not fall in the purview of the group.

Over the weeks, I have received hundreds of mails from this group. And the subjects ranged from seeking donations, fighting brinjals, organisational activities to why and why not Telangana. Is BT Brinjal a more important or less important subject than animal rights? Is research on genetically modified crops more authentic than investigations into misdemeanours by multinationals? who decides? I believe no one. They are just viewpoints we are sharing. You may agree with it or disagree with it.

If a high moral ground is taken about some mails and not about others, then surely, it seems to me, there is no fairness in this forum. I was taken aback when I received something about Telangana. It certainly seemed inappropriate to me. But I never expressed it for one, Prasanthi has introduced the gentleman who wrote them as an elderly gentleman and it seemed to me that I would be rude commenting on it and two, I know there are many who have been with BOSF for years now and they know better. I just read part of it and left it at that. It was a viewpoint and that was it. There was no reason for me to get all intolerant.

I have already apologised and said I won't send any more mails to the group. Not about KFC, not about McD nor about any other subject. If all of us are actually reading the chain that follow each mail, they would have noted it. I am just taken aback at the vehemence with which I have been condemned in this forum, as the sender of the mail, of course. But, personally I am disturbed because it seems to me I should watch what I am saying, my regard for the group notwithstanding.

I thought I was sensible enough to discern between mails that do have an element of sense, fact and truth and mails that promise you to make you Parliament Speaker if u sent it to 368 people within 20 seconds. Apparently not!!

I apologise once again for my role so far here.

regards

usha

Anil Kumar

Jan 28, 2010, 11:46:09 AM1/28/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Usha Garu,Santosh, Suresh Adina, Hasina and Friends

                          Usha, Please keep Posting your View Points in this forum(BoSF).

Yes, right Investigation has to be done from our side too( agree to Suresh Adina to some extent).

Remember, each one of us is doing good work in respective capacities.  As a Social Worker or Volunteer or Society Concerned Person  -  We should Set ourselves as an example - only then we can Influence others or the target group. We members of BoSF should know how to 'Live Sustainably'.

I totally agree to Hasina, Vegetarian Food, Fruits, Nuts is more Good for Health (of course when the Vegetarian Food is not fried more..). Non-Vegetarian can be consumed once in a while ( who loves it..). If we are concerned for Environment -- Meat eat should be reduced. If we want to save Water, Farmers and Rural Lands, avoid Soft Drinks.

In the race for survival, how many consider/look -- whether their Work/Job/or Organization is doing good for Society or Nature..

Warm Regards,

Anil Kumar,

Secretary, OISCA International
(Environmental NGO), Hyderabad Chapter
& Coordinator of OISCA, A.P

Secretary, Rural Medical Institute(RMI)
(Health Awareness, Self Employment)

&

Social Network India (NGOs Network)

201, Basera Apt., #3-6-361/27/A,
Himayatnagar, Hyderabad-500029.

Mobile:+919848981189
Email:anil...@gmail.com
         oisc...@gmail.com

Prasanthi Uppalapati

Jan 28, 2010, 2:55:24 PM1/28/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
Friends,

Its becoming increasingly displeasing to see the forum dividing for each and every small thing.

1. Why don't we understand and give respect to others' views?

2. Why lash out on things that we do not agree? There is nothing wrong if we want to show the other angle of an issue or other way of understanding of what seems to be a problem, but there is a way on how we say it.

3. Let us not blow anything out of proportion.

4. Isn't it the high time that we set guidelines for ourselves first than expecting others to follow?

I have been observing that people who come forward to express a view act exactly opposite to what they complain of others.

Everyone in this forum have some standards and others have to acknowledge it. No one intentionally wants to pass something unworthy to a forum like us.

We expect people to bear and take everything in their stride when we say unintentional but we do not show the same respect for others. Why?

Let us practise to show more tolerance when we disapprove of something.

It is so easy to write mails and everyone going on their jobs. Some claim we leave the forum, some claim we will not send mails, some say we are not following guidelines... Does anyone, at least for a minute, think on long term basis? Does anyone think of the pressure and feelings from my end?

It is not that I do not have opinions or feelings or whatever you may call for, that I am going on keeping silent. I trust in the sensibilities of each and every person. Yes, of course, people may falter at times but that does not mean catching the throat at every opportunity.

Let us look beyond. What are we here for? To quarrel with each other? To express or nurse our egos or knowledge or experience?

If we do not like something, ignore. If we have a point to make, express in a gentle manner. Anything beyond it, everyone has to introspect. How would be our reaction if we are on the other side of the plane!!

The reason for me to stay soft is not because I am soft or I cannot repeat what some of us here are doing, it is only that I do not want to make an issue out of everything. I am always trying my level best to go forward with solutions rather than dabbling in problems.

I am not here giving gyan but sharing what I learnt. I do not know how much experience I managed in my profession over these years, but certainly gained a lot with respect to human relations, attitude, ego and behavior while managing my TMAD and BosF.

Day by day it appears to me that everyone ... literally everyone are seeing this as a platform to share their thoughts and go away. No one ever bothering to care what happens to the forum ultimately.

The attitude is simply like ... we be ourselves. If at any point of time we do not like anything, we go away.

It is not so for me....! I cannot go away. I cannot see anyone going away.

I request each and everyone with FOLDED HANDS. At least for a second be in my shoes and think. All the good things that you preach, just be on my shoes and try to think.

I decided to moderate the forum. I will not approve any mails for a week or so until and unless they are completely of use or for information sake.

Let us give ourselves some rest and some time before sharing opinions.

---
Thank you.

with regards,
PRASANTHI.
http://groups.google.com/group/birdsofsamefeathers
----
When you want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.

Usha Turaga-Revelli

Jan 28, 2010, 7:15:55 PM1/28/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prasanthi,

Let me speak for myself. I am with you as I have promised and I will continue to do my bit for BOSF. I am not a fool to stop doing my duty just because of some minor irritants.

I said I won't send any mails only because I am flummoxed at the way people get so worked up over non-issues. And their outright hostile reactions. Have seen it happening twice in the last ten days or so. These kind of debates are completely useless when we have real problems to deal with. So, I don't want to contribute to any kind of discussion that takes us away from real and actual work.

I don't believe there should be moderation of mails. That makes the forum subjective. And it makes you responsible for judging who is who and their viewpoints. I had apologised very quickly for the McD mail only because I felt I should not divert us from real issues. But, apparently, the apology could not be accepted with grace.

I acknowledge with respect how much effort you put into doing something that most people don't even think of.  Like I said, my support to you and BOSF is completely and unconditionally there. Always.

regards

usha

S.V Prasad/Madhumita Prasad

Jan 28, 2010, 11:30:58 PM1/28/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friend,

We very well understand the spirit behind your the information you gave us. It is an eye opener that such practices do exist in this world and we need to be aware of them. The only element probably that people were writing against is the fact that a couple of food giants have been named without any evidence. We must be careful when we use names of people or companies and should support it with evidence otherwise we can be accused of tarnishing someones reputation.
Please keep contributing to this group and remember nobody has anything against you personally.

Madhumita
Soch!!!

Prasanthi

Jan 30, 2010, 1:24:05 PM1/30/10
to birdsofsamefeathers
The following post is from Sudarshan garu. I have to paste it myself
as the thread got the previous message too attached.

Request you all to delete the previous text and send your reply only.
As the discussions are tagged based on the subject line, we can read
and it would not be difficult for the members who read Digest mail.

Also requesting you all to take discussion on a positive note and if
you disapprove something please respond politely. Think for a minute
in the recipients's shoes and see if that hurts you if someone else
sends you particular mail.

Supporting particular idea does not mean opposing others who are
against it. For example, supporting Vegetarianism need not attributed
to hating all non-vegetarians. Please do not think that way.

==========================

Thanks for these pictures. they tried in vain to show the
cruelty.Cruelty is
much more uglier and can not be shown here..it should be felt
inside...in
our every walk of life and in every moment. i am sure ,per day ,more
than a
lakh cows are being slaughtered, and many times of that figure of
chiken (
baby birds) are being killed.
Can we stop that?
If you pile up the daily meat that is being consumed per day in
hyderabad,
it will easily replace the GPO building at abids...PER DAY!!!

When people start thinking that FOOD is Sacred" ANNAM PARABRAHMAM"
then only
all these "vikrita chesta" ( i dont find any exact english word for
this may
be IDIOTIC behaviour) will stop.

I am seeing in receipe books and in star hotels, Food is being treated
like
a fashion item, making it more decorative than tastier. Even the
tastes are
changing.
the way they are mutilating the food, humiliating the food
items...human
race is not going to survive long , Quality life is eroding fast.

I met people who doesnt know from where or how the black pepper will
come. I
was shocked when i met some one who doesnt know how the rice will come
(he
asked " from which tree"? and he is from south india !!!)
Where do we get maida from? how does the plant of black pepper looks
like?
Lets go to BIG BAZAAR or reliance , all are available why bother to
know the
source!!!

how many of us know the source of water that we are drawing in the
monring
? we knwo only the phone number of corporation incase we dont get
water.The
knowledged know some thing extra..the river name!! and thats all we
know...
We never know, and never even bother how come this water is flowing
here,
what animals, places and countries have a right on it? how many
centuries
its been flowing like that? ho w many generations protected it so that
it is
reaching us today!! NO We dont bother, we want to construct a DAM
( modern
temples --hmm)...and USE all the water for ourselves... so that our
taps
will be full, our commodes will be full, never bother if in next 50
years
down the lane, other areas become deserts, the animals,
birds,vegetation
which is surviving on that land, in 100s of crores become extinct!!!

All these said and doen, the gist is, eat what we grow, what we like
( not
only to our tongue but to our mind)

Lets respect food...eat simple!!! and LESS.

Best regards
Sudarshan

===========================

Anil Kumar

Jan 30, 2010, 11:00:43 PM1/30/10
to birdsofsa...@googlegroups.com

Wonderfully said Sudarshan Garu, I agree with you.

Anil Kumar,
Secretary, OISCA International
(Environmental NGO), Hyderabad Chapter
& Coordinator of OISCA, A.P

Secretary, Rural Medical Institute(RMI)
(Health Awareness, Self Employment)

&

Social Network India (NGOs Network)

201, Basera Apt., #3-6-361/27/A,
Himayatnagar, Hyderabad-500029.

Mobile:+919848981189
Email:anil...@gmail.com
         oisc...@gmail.com

IDEO

Jan 31, 2010, 12:00:00 AM1/31/10
to birdsofsamefeathers
Good points raised by Sudarshan garu and a good quote there... "Lets
respect food...eat simple!!! and LESS." My thought process related to
this subject is little different... Let me try put forward my views
and see how they shape out. I am not sure where to start, the subject
itself is so vast... so, I will pick up few points from Sudarshan's
mail and try building my view from there.

If we go back to few centuries, we (human race) all lived purely on
non-veg and occasionally on fruits... what ever cast, religion we all
may belong to, our great(to the power of n) grand fathers were non-
vegetarians and back then things were balanced. Hunting used to be
balanced, they used to hunt mostly the week and made sure they never
ran out of animals to hunt. Though humans may have moved away from the
concept of balance, animals still follow that concept. We always
respected our food, did not eat less but we never used to overeat.
Over centuries something went really wrong, some how our fathers
forgot to follow the balance in our own race... we grew in numbers,
stopped thinking about future, we had to feed the hungry, so we killed
more and more animals and one day realized that the animals are no
more an option to live on and invented agriculture!!

There started the doom of this planet, if only we all still lived on
meat, if only we never cut down the trees to do agriculture, this
would have been a totally different planet all together. Agriculture
is the main reason for cutting down forests, not buildings, neither is
animal farming! Agriculture is the main reason for building dams not
for drinking water! Imagine, if there were less non-vegetarians or
absolutely no non-vegetarians at all...by now this planet would have
been a hot barren land. Yes, its complex and arguable.

Speaking of cruelty, which is evident now, growth in population and
thus agriculture has caused great pain not just to our race alone but
the whole planet. Sometimes I feel meat is simple. How about all non-
vegetarians start protesting against eating green and agriculture in
first place... sounds insane isn't it!!... damn! this sounds insane to
me too!

Anyways, I am just trying to bring in a different dimension
altogether... animal cruelty is not going to stop because 25% (that's
the maximum change, an unimaginable percentage of success rate these
kind of protests can bring) of this worlds population stops eating non-
veg. I strongly believe that people who would like to work against
animal cruelty should stop asking people to quite eating non-veg and
should start investigating the issue, try to use the law to bring
change in animal farming... set few guidelines and make sure that the
animal farmers follow them.

It is really not going to stop animal cruelty by making people to stop
going to any of these joints... and scientifically speaking not all
which looks green is good for health nor all meat is bad for health.

Btw, most of you might already know... in 98% of poultry farms,
chicken is not allowed to move more than 5feet in its lifetime...
cruel!! Why don't we start working towards setting few guidelines for
poultry in order to reduce or eradicate animal cruelty in poultry.

Here is an article on a similar subject...
http://surabisantosh.blogspot.com/2010/01/all-energy-is-borrowed-and-someday-you.html

Regards,
Santosh