W.A.L.T.E.R. v2.0

Dale Weber

Oct 19, 2010, 2:59:26 AM10/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Greetings everyone!

I had some software problems that are now fixed, so am back working with
my BeagleBoard again! I'm currently using a Beagle C3, and am looking forward
to getting an XM board once the current problems have been fixed and new boards
are available. Until then, I am quite happy with my Beagle C3 and USB hub.

I've successfully built several software images and once again have a
good development setup that includes Python. I now have a solid goal for
W..A.L.T.E.R., which is to become a helperbot for myself and other disabled
people. The final version will be large enough to be useful, but small enough
to be easily transported on a powered wheelchair or scooter.

Now for some moe technical stuff.. :) I've figured out how to use one of
the SparkFun breadboard power supplies to allow powering Beagle from any NiCad
or NMIH R/C type battery pack. I've built a little adapter cable to allow
powering the USB hub from a second battery pack if required.

WALTER is now going to be a four wheeled robot with independent steering
and speed control on all wheels. This should allow for extremely flexible
movement around any indoor environment. I've written software for Arduino
class boards to allow full slave control over a UART, and it works. However, I
haven't yet tested this when connected to my Beagle.

The Beagle does recognize the Arduino's USB tty but I still have some
work to do on the Python establish connection code. I want to be able to tell
what functions are available on an Arduino class board that's connected to
Beagle, so am planning to add a unique code to each Arduino board and a table
in the Beagle Python code.

I will now be able to use the Cherokee web server for WALTER's web
interface and DJango to build it. This will allow me to connect in all the
custom Python code I need to write without too much trouble. At least I am
hoping it works out that way.. ;) ;) OE now has most, if not all, of the
software I need for WALTER, and I have built a complete development image to
use.

I am going to need every bit of speed I can wring out of my Beagle to
make all of this happen. I am seriously thinking about getting a Beagle C4
just for the added speed. I need another Beagle anyway, one for testing, and
one to mount on WALTER.

I am progressing, albeit slowly, due to some health issues that make
concentration and focus quite difficult a lot of the time now. Hopefully this
will be all diagnosed and corrected soon though! :) :)

8-Dale
--
I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
Open your mind, Read, Learn, Think, Apply. 73, from N7PKT!

Andrey Nechypurenko

Oct 19, 2010, 4:58:55 AM10/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

>        The Beagle does recognize the Arduino's USB tty but I still have some
> work to do on the Python establish connection code. I want to be able to tell
> what functions are available on an Arduino class board that's connected to
> Beagle, so am planning to add a unique code to each Arduino board and a table
> in the Beagle Python code.

Just out of curiosity - are there any reasons why you decide to
use Arduino instead of TrainerBoard? IMHO BB with Trainer
requires less space and it is still possible to use Ardino
software on Trainer's AVR.

I am doing something similar, so maybe it would be interesting
for you:
http://veter-project.blogspot.com/
http://www.gitorious.org/veter/pages/Home

Regards,
Andrey.

Michael Fontes

Oct 19, 2010, 10:11:05 AM10/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am a newbie trying to load Ubuntu Maverick or Angstrom onto an SD to
be used on my new Beagle XM. I see a lot of activity with many users
doing this. I am new to Linux, but willing to try almost anything. I
don't have a Linux based host computer. I have several PCs and my
BeagleBoard XM.

I have not been able to figure out how to get an image to the SD so I
can get it to the XM. I have also not been able to figure out how to
test the Ethernet on the XM. Since I don't know the Linux lingo yet I
find the directions to be either lacking detail, or expecting a minimal
knowledge level that I don't possess yet. Can anyone tell me where I
can find directions with enough detail so I can get my system running
under the new OS?

Mike Fontes

This Email has been scanned for all viruses by PAETEC's Hosted E-mail Security Services, utilizing MessageLabs proprietary SkyScan infrastructure. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit http://www.paetec.com.

Dale Weber

Oct 19, 2010, 10:43:49 AM10/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, October 19, 2010 01:58:55 am Andrey Nechypurenko wrote:
> Hi,

> Just out of curiosity - are there any reasons why you decide to
> use Arduino instead of TrainerBoard? IMHO BB with Trainer
> requires less space and it is still possible to use Ardino
> software on Trainer's AVR.

I am going to get a Trainer board to experiment with. This may indeed end
up being one of the Arduinos I use on WALTER. :) However, current plans are to
use RoboDuinos, which are Arduino class boards that already have the nice 3
pin headers that make it so easy to connect sensors, servos, etc.

I'll start coding the walter side of the connection in Python today. :) I
got DJango installed into what I hope is my final development image last night,
so can also start working on the web interface. I still have to find a reliable
wifi adapter for Beagle, so it can maintain connection to the internet.

> I am doing something similar, so maybe it would be interesting
> for you:
> http://veter-project.blogspot.com/
> http://www.gitorious.org/veter/pages/Home

I will definitely take a look! :)

Lorne Liechty

Oct 19, 2010, 3:21:47 PM10/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I recently went through this same process myself.

If you want to get Angstrom booting on a blank SD card (not what came in the package).  Use the following links:

Step 2) Getting the required boot loader, kernel, file system: http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/

Follow the instructions on the respective pages.  Ignore discussion on NAND memory in step 2.

I haven't tried doing this from a non-Linux env.  Easiest thing to do would be to just quickly setup Ubuntu on one of your PCs and go from there.

-lorne

brett

Oct 19, 2010, 6:03:04 PM10/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

    don't have a Linux based host computer. I have several PCs and my
    BeagleBoard XM.
    I have also not been able to figure out how to
    test the Ethernet on the XM.  Can anyone tell me where I

    can find directions with enough detail so I can get my system running
    under the new OS?

    Mike Fontes

    Hi Mike,
    To test your card its best to first try the demo image (on micro sd card) that should have shipped with your xM.
    You can connect the serial port on the beagleboard to either a serial (if your computer has one) or usb port on a windows pc. PuTTY will let you connect so your pc acts as a terminal for your beagle. Use the settings described here:
    http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardBeginners#Serial_connection
    (Minicom is the linux equivalent of PuTTY)
    Ethernet should work with the demo image, you can check by using the ping command:
    http://linux.die.net/man/8/ping
    Once you see that the hardware works then you can try installing another OS.
    Brett.

    Ricardo Salveti

    Oct 19, 2010, 10:43:32 PM10/19/10
    to beagl...@googlegroups.com
    On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Michael Fontes
    <mfo...@mtiinstruments.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a newbie trying to load Ubuntu Maverick or Angstrom onto an SD to
    > be used on my new Beagle XM.  I see a lot of activity with many users
    > doing this.  I am new to Linux, but willing to try almost anything.  I
    > don't have a Linux based host computer.  I have several PCs and my
    > BeagleBoard XM.
    >
    > I have not been able to figure out how to get an image to the SD so I
    > can get it to the XM.  I have also not been able to figure out how to
    > test the Ethernet on the XM.  Since I don't know the Linux lingo yet I
    > find the directions to be either lacking detail, or expecting a minimal
    > knowledge level that I don't possess yet.  Can anyone tell me where I
    > can find directions with enough detail so I can get my system running
    > under the new OS?

    It's very easy to boot Ubuntu Maverick, just follow
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/OMAPMaverickInstall and you should be
    fine.

    Cheers,
    --