I'm a beagle/linux newbie learning how to build a kernel

jimma...@yahoo.com

Aug 15, 2008, 6:08:24 PM8/15/08
to Beagle Board
All,

My end goal is to output video from the DVI port in 640 x 480
resolution (The display I'm working with only accepts this resolution)

I have followed the beagle diagnostics and my hardware is working (I
see a 1280x720 image on a regular monitor). I tried using the xrandr
to change the resolution, but the command does not exist in the sample
code. I understand I need to rebuild the kernal with my desired
resolution

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleBoardDiagnostics

I downloaded the code sourcery tools from:

http://www.codesourcery.com/ gnu_toolchains/arm/releases/ 2007q3

When I extracted them, I did not see Git, so I downloaded V 1.5.4.3
from:

http://www.codesourcery.com/ gnu_toolchains/arm/releases/ 2007q3

I have not figured out how to run "git clone http://source.mvista.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git"

In the git directory I see git-clone.sh. When I try to execute it the
command is not found.

Any advice is appreciated
Jim

Dirk Behme

Aug 16, 2008, 1:36:27 AM8/16/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
jimma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> All,
>
> My end goal is to output video from the DVI port in 640 x 480
> resolution (The display I'm working with only accepts this resolution)
>
> I have followed the beagle diagnostics and my hardware is working (I
> see a 1280x720 image on a regular monitor). I tried using the xrandr
> to change the resolution, but the command does not exist in the sample
> code. I understand I need to rebuild the kernal with my desired
> resolution
>
> http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleBoardDiagnostics
>
> I downloaded the code sourcery tools from:
>
> http://www.codesourcery.com/ gnu_toolchains/arm/releases/ 2007q3
>
> When I extracted them, I did not see Git,

Toolchain from CodeSourcery and git are completely independent tools,
so you have to download them seperately.

> so I downloaded V 1.5.4.3
> from:
>
> http://www.codesourcery.com/ gnu_toolchains/arm/releases/ 2007q3

You should download git v1.5.6.5 from

http://git.or.cz/

Then

tar xvfj git-1.5.6.5.tar.bz2

cd git-1.5.6.5

make

make install

export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

> I have not figured out how to run "git clone http://source.mvista.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git"

What do you get if you execute

git clone git://source.mvista.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git

in some directory in your home (e.g. create anew directory linux-beagle)

git protocol (i.e. git://.. ) should always work, git over http://..
is the fallback if you have e.g. firewall issues. And with http://..
people sometimes have issues.

See

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#Linux_kernel

> In the git directory I see git-clone.sh. When I try to execute it the
> command is not found.

If it doesn't work, give us complete output log.

Regards

Dirk

Felipe Contreras

Aug 16, 2008, 7:55:34 AM8/16/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

In order to create a uImage you need mkimage from uboot, I think
that's not mentioned in the wiki.

--
Felipe Contreras

Malina, Jim

Aug 16, 2008, 9:25:34 PM8/16/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Dirk

Thanks for the help. I have git un-tar-ed

I don't seem to have make in my path so I can't
make
or
make install

I tried the export command line but that didn't make a difference.

What would you recomend?
Regards
Jim
Aug 18, 2008, 6:26:47 PM8/18/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I'm making progress...not there yet.

I am running with an XP machine. I have VMware and Fedora 9 installed.

Today my 'make' problem was solved when I did:

[root@fedora-vm ~]# yum install update

I was able to:

[root@fedora-vm Beagle]# git clone http://source.mvista.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git
[root@fedora-vm Beagle]# git clone http://git.denx.de/u-boot.git

I copied all the released source, binaries, and tools (not yet installed) from

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/downloads/list

I copied patches 1-4 for u-boot v1.3.2

I did:
git checkout -v1.3.2
git checkout -b jim_branch
git tag start

exported the arm-2007q3/bin path

make distclean

The problems I'm currently aware of are
1) patch is not working on my machine
2) make omap3530beagle_config is not working.

Any advice is appreciated
Regards
Jim

> I am running with an XP machine. I have VMware and Fedora 9 installed.
>
> Today my 'make' problem was solved when I did:
>
> [root@fedora-vm ~]# yum install update
>
> I was able to:
>
> [root@fedora-vm Beagle]# git clone http://source.mvista.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git
> [root@fedora-vm Beagle]# git clone http://git.denx.de/u-boot.git
>
> I copied all the released source, binaries, and tools (not yet installed) from
>
> http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/downloads/list
>
> I copied patches 1-4 for u-boot v1.3.2
>
> I did:
> git checkout -v1.3.2
> git checkout -b jim_branch
> git tag start
>
> exported the arm-2007q3/bin path
>
> make distclean
>
> The problems I'm currently aware of are
> 1) patch is not working on my machine
> 2) make omap3530beagle_config is not working.

'not working' is not descriptive enough.

Have you tried?
yum groupinstall 'Development Tools'

--
Felipe Contreras

Malina, Jim

Aug 18, 2008, 7:06:01 PM8/18/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Felipe

yum groupinstall 'Development Tools' fixes the problem with patch. Are there any other groupinstall options required?

also, I'm now getting this:

[root@fedora-vm u-boot]# make omap3530beagle_config
make: *** No rule to make target `omap3530beagle_config'. Stop.

(I apologize if I'm duplicating the toolchain thread. I'm not sure If I'm at that point yet.)

Jim
> make: *** No rule to make target `omap3530beagle_config'. Stop.

Are you using the u-boot from :
a) git clone http://git.denx.de/u-boot.git
b) wget http://beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/u-boot_beagle_revb.tar.gz (or some similar one from http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/downloads/list ?).

If it is (a), the u-boot support for beagle is not in mainline tree yet.. you need u-boot with beagle support -> you can either pull (b) or if you like, could also pull u-boot tree that Steve maintains here: http://www.sakoman.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi (See u-boot not u-boot v2).

By the way, a quick and dirty way of seeing if beagle is supported run: grep beagle Makefile

Regards,
Nishanth Menon

Jason Kridner

Aug 18, 2008, 9:39:17 PM8/18/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Menon, Nishanth <x0ni...@ti.com> wrote:

Jim,

> [...]

There is a pinned e-mail in this thread that talks about how to patch 1.3.2 to build u-boot.  I'd say that rebuilding u-boot isn't useful to most people and isn't required to rebuild a new kernel.  Still, I pointed some people in the direction of that thread so that they'd understand what the differences are between what *is* on the mainline tree and what is requried to support Beagle.

For anyone looking to do any u-boot development with Beagle, aligning with Steve Sakoman's u-boot tree is the right way to go as he and Dirk are making plans to push patches to the mainline.

By the way, a quick and dirty way of seeing if beagle is supported run: grep beagle Makefile

Regards,
Nishanth Menon

Jim,

I think you should likely just use the pre-build Angstrom u-boot (or the one already flashed on the board) and spend your effort on rebuilding the kernel.  Based on other messages, I believe you are most interested in figuring out how to change resolutions.  I thought there were some patches to the linux-omap git tree in Angstrom[1] that provided some standard resolutions down to 640x480, but I did not find them.  I *was* able to find patches[3] by browsing Steve Sakoman's tree[2].

Regards,
Jason

[1] http://gitweb.openembedded.net/?p=org.openembedded.dev.git;a=tree;f=packages/linux/linux-omap2-git/beagleboard;hb=HEAD
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/a6e9ff432dfd7dfc?fwc=1
[3] http://www.sakoman.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=2498f7c4179b37d971e283a707211b9874fcce55

Malina, Jim

Aug 22, 2008, 6:22:44 PM8/22/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This message is for Tier's. What is the recommended way to share files? Is it from an external (personal?) website? Is there an internal FTP? Beagleboard.org upload?

Regards
Jim

Jason Kridner

Aug 23, 2008, 2:32:24 AM8/23/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Malina, Jim <jim-m...@ti.com> wrote:

> This message is for Tier's. What is the recommended way to share files? Is it from an external (personal?) website? Is there an internal FTP? Beagleboard.org upload?

It depends on the audience. There is a BeagleBoard.org upload, but I
prefer not to share that broadly as it isn't the most secure/stable
solution. The Google Group has a "Files" area that I went ahead and
turned on for you. Of course, you can also attach files to e-mails
sent to the list, though that might irritate some recipients.

For your own project that may only interest a sub-set of Beagle Board
users, I highly recommend that you utilize a project hosting service
such as code.google.com, sf.net, or codeplex.com, as recommended on
the http://BeagleBoard.org/project page. Each of those services have
the ability to host files. You should also register your project on
http://BeagleBoard.org/project.

For fundamental files relative to the board diagnostics, we are using
the file hosting on http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard.

I make good use of Amazon's S3 for other activities and am a huge fan
of affordable pay-per-use services that don't rely on advertising.

Internal to TI, we use Twiki, SharePoint, FTP servers setup on our own
Linux machines, and Windows file shares.

Malina, Jim

Aug 29, 2008, 10:53:05 AM8/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Beagle Community

Texas Instruments is developing a Pico Video Projector Kit as a peripheral for the Beagle Board.  The PVPK is based upon the DLP™ Pico Projection technology

           http://focus.ti.com/pr/docs/preldetail.tsp?sectionId=594&prelId=dlp07036

The stand alone pico projector will support VGA resolution (640 x 480), RGB 888 input through a DVI interface.  (The physical connector on the projector will be HDMI).

Today, this is what the projector looks like:

http://code.google.com/p/beagle-projector/downloads/list

The product will look like this:

The PVPK will be available for sale to the public in January 2009.  We would like to develop several Beagle/PVPK demonstrations for trade shows prior to production release.  We are looking to the beagle community to help develop these demonstrations

T.I. would like to promote some of the innovative projects that you are developing along with pico projection technology.  Ideally we would like up to five different demonstrations for trade shows.

If you are interested in participating or have ideas of how the beagle community could best be served by this, please let me know.

Anyone whose project is selected and functional for a demonstration will receive a production pico-projector when they are available (around December ‘08)

We look forward to hearing your thoughts about this opportunity

Regards

Jim

Florian Boor

Aug 29, 2008, 11:09:10 AM8/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, jim-m...@ti.com
Hi,

Malina, Jim schrieb:

> The PVPK will be available for sale to the public in January 2009. We
> would like to develop several Beagle/PVPK demonstrations for trade shows
> prior to production release. We are looking to the beagle community to
> help develop these demonstrations

hey, that's really a great thing! It solves a major problem you have with mobile
devices:
The physical size of your display is the limiting factor for shrinking
smartphones, PDAs and similar mobile devices.

A kind of 'Beagle-Smartphone' prototype might be an interesting project. I see
that the size of the Beagleboard itself won't allow a really small device, but
it should be ok for demonstrating the technology and the idea behind it.

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday Florian Boor
is the hope of today Tel: +49 271-771091-15

1D78 2D4D 6C53 1CA4 5588 D07B A8E7 940C 25B7 9A76

SHoll...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2008, 6:40:48 PM8/30/08
to Beagle Board
Hey, I am a student interested in embedded programming. I just
finished an internship at Kiva Systems in Woburn, Masachusetts
(www.kivasystems.com) where I worked with a PIC 18F8585 processor. I
was thinking of creating a UMPC with the Beagle Board I just purchased
and would love to incorporate the projector into my project. Any
information would be great

Sam Holland

On Aug 29, 10:53 am, "Malina, Jim" <jim-mal...@ti.com> wrote:
> Beagle Community
>
> Texas Instruments is developing a Pico Video Projector Kit as a peripheral for the Beagle Board.  The PVPK is based upon the DLP(tm) Pico Projection technology
>
>            http://focus.ti.com/pr/docs/preldetail.tsp?sectionId=594&prelId=dlp07036
>
> The stand alone pico projector will support VGA resolution (640 x 480), RGB 888 input through a DVI interface.  (The physical connector on the projector will be HDMI).>
> Today, this is what the projector looks like:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/beagle-projector/downloads/list
>
> The product will look like this:
>
> [cid:image001....@01C909BD.085E5A80]
>
> The PVPK will be available for sale to the public in January 2009.  We would like to develop several Beagle/PVPK demonstrations for trade shows prior to production release.  We are looking to the beagle community to help develop these demonstrations
>
> T.I. would like to promote some of the innovative projects that you are developing along with pico projection technology.  Ideally we would like up to five different demonstrations for trade shows.
>
> If you are interested in participating or have ideas of how the beagle community could best be served by this, please let me know.
>
> Anyone whose project is selected and functional for a demonstration will receive a production pico-projector when they are available (around December '08)
> We look forward to hearing your thoughts about this opportunity
>
> Regards
> Jim
>
>  image001.gif
> 16KViewDownload

Terrence

Sep 2, 2008, 3:19:45 PM9/2/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
What would be way cooler is an RGB laser diod projector in a mobile phone
that you could project an image on to a projector screen.. hm?

Malina, Jim

Sep 2, 2008, 5:22:49 PM9/2/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terrence,

An earlier version of our pico projector was laser based. It was demonstrated at 3GSM. I know of at least 3 reasons why laser illumination was not pursued for product:

1) The image quality of laser illumination was inferior to LED illumination
2) Lasers cost more than LEDs
3) Lasers are dangerous

Thanks for your inputs.

There may be an industrial application for a laser-pico. Please submit your ideas for discussion.

Regards
Jim

Terrence

Sep 2, 2008, 7:10:56 PM9/2/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes lasers are dangerous all coherent beams of energy are but if the beam
could scan and pulls under 50hz and be slightly refracted it would be safe.
Solid state lasers use less energy than LED's that was the ideal reason.
However with new battery technology coming about it will probably cover the
excess that LED's consume..

-T

DOUAT Laurent

Sep 3, 2008, 7:26:30 PM9/3/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jim,

I am an engineer working in a company for stb/mobile market.
My first idea is to make a demo with the DLP for a rich user interface (Flash based)
The idea is that this ui is remotely controlled by a wiimote.
It is possible to click/drag and drop items/widgets on the screen remotely.
I have already made this demo on a linux STB for myself. So porting the demo on the beagleboard
will not be an issue. With the powerful 3530, it would be interesting to increase the number of items.
If you are interested, I can send you a working preview on pc.

Regards,

Laurent