Re: Cannot use RT2870 Ralink Wifi USB stick on Ubuntu in Beagle Board

Message has been deleted

avi

Mar 15, 2010, 9:29:59 AM3/15/10
to Beagle Board
Hi Gianluca,

I had similar issue!! with RT2870 based Linksys WiFi Dongle.

I did not workaround much, due to lack of experience and time ;)

Instead switched to RT73 based D-Link DWA110 .
It Worked great without any problem!! [Plug n Play]. Works in both Ad-
Hoc and Managed Mode.

Netgear WG111V3 also works in Managed Mode, but I could not bring it
up in Ad-Hoc Mode.

Btw, which version of Kernal are you using ? I had used 2.6.31.5-x5.3

I could help you with D-Link as I am working on it.
Experts could help you better with 2870 :)

Regards
Avinash

Robert Nelson

Mar 15, 2010, 10:47:27 AM3/15/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM, gianluca <gian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have managed to get Ubuntu running on my BB by using the demo image
> as explained here:
>
> http://www.elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu
>
> with the Karmic distro option.
>
> My RT2870 wifi stick is detected automatically in Ubuntu Karmic on my
> PC, but is not detected on my BB.
>
> I noted that in /lib/modules section, my PC has much more files and
> folders present than /lib/modules on Beagle Board. In fact, my PC has
> a file /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2870/
> rt2870sta.ko, while BB does not, if this helps.
>
> Could someone help me out so I can get the Wifi stick to work on BB?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Gianluca Valentino

What Kernel? (uname -a)

The RT2xxx devices usually have two drivers in the kernel. In staging
the Ralink gpl driver and the rt2x00 project...

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Some users have had better luck with this hardware by using the
network-manager gui vs iwconfig...

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Message has been deleted

Robert Nelson

Mar 15, 2010, 12:15:24 PM3/15/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM, gianluca <gian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using the 2.6.32.7-x7.1 kernel.
>
> So there is no need to build the module from the source on Ralink's
> website? I found guides to do this on Internet (for a PC), however
> make (on the board) would fail since it cannot find the /lib/modules/
> 2.6.32.7-x7.1/build folder where linux headers should be located. I
> tried doing sudo make to make the module on my PC, however after
> transferring the .ko and .dat files to the board and doing insmod, I
> got "invalid module format". I think this is the case because you
> cannot insert modules which were compiled with kernel sources of one
> particular kernel into another kernel version.

I don't remember if 2.6.32.7-x7.1 had those modules external or internal...

But with 2.6.32.9-x9.1 they are here:

ls -lh /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00
total 180K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28K 2010-02-25 10:17 rt2500usb.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 50K 2010-02-25 10:17 rt2800usb.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38K 2010-02-25 10:17 rt2x00lib.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17K 2010-02-25 10:17 rt2x00usb.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 36K 2010-02-25 10:17 rt73usb.ko

> When I do a search for .ko modules related to rt2870, I find nothing
> on the board. However I did find a file rt2870.bin in /lib/firmware.

Message has been deleted

Robert Nelson

Mar 15, 2010, 2:45:55 PM3/15/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM, gianluca <gian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did the following:
>
> sudo ./rootstock --fqdn beagleboard --login ubuntu --password temppwd
> --imagesize 2G --dist karmic \
> --serial ttyS2 --seed linux-firmware,wireless-tools \
> --kernel-image http://rcn-ee.net/deb/kernel/beagle/karmic/v2.6.32.9-x9.1/linux-image-2.6.32.9-x9.1_1.0karmic_armel.deb
>
> However the /lib/modules folder is empty. How can I get the 'uname -r'
> dir with the kernel, build, and so on, folders into it? Am I missing a
> seed?

Look again, it's there... "--kernel image" extracts a *.deb file
directly to /lib/modules/

Message has been deleted

tallakt

Mar 15, 2010, 10:57:18 AM3/15/10
to Beagle Board
Hi.

i did use a RT73 DLink device as well, lsusb gave me:

Bus 001 Device 042: ID 07d1:3c03 D-Link System DWL-G122 802.11g
Adapter ralink rt73

It did work really well out of the box (in ubuntu and angstrom) as
long as I turned off WPA encryption, but I am not sure wether this is
due to the hardware or other settings. Ad-Hoc worked as well.

BUT: whenever the system gets laoded, I end up with a driver crash.
This usually happens to me after ~30 minutes to a few hours. At this
stage I can unplug the device and replug or reboot the machine, but
this is not quite satisfactory. I have since ordered a few more
different WLAN devices to test since they are quite cheap.

If this is not a big concern (I am able to install packages and such)
it does work well.

Tallak

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Robert Nelson

Mar 16, 2010, 5:38:57 PM3/16/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM, gianluca <gian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I have disabled all passwords (PSK WPA etc)
> from the router.
>
> On Mar 16, 8:50 pm, gianluca <gianva...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I booted with the 2.6.32.9-x9.1 kernel, and sure enough the rt2x00 and
>> rt2800usb drivers were there.
>>

>> Doing iwlist scanning, I initially get results of the different access
>> points around. However, after a short period of time I get No scan
>> results.

Looks like it kinda works...

Note, Some users have had better luck keeping the connection going
thru network-manager then thru the iwconfig interface..

>> Have the drivers been installed correctly? Is there a way to bind a
>> driver to wlan0 so that it shows up in lshw?
>>
>> Why do I get "ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready" in dmesg,
>> and why does the wifi stick led switch off (in my pc, it remains on)?

Looks common:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ADDRCONF%28NETDEV_UP%29%3A+wlan0%3A+link+is+not+ready

Message has been deleted

Andruk Tatum

Apr 7, 2010, 4:25:12 PM4/7/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have a Rosewill RNX-N1 usb wifi dongle that uses the rt2870 chipset, and when I tried to use it on my laptop I got driver conflicts between the rt2x00usb and rt2870sta drivers.  The card sort of works during the driver fighting, but the biggest clue to me was that every scanned wireless network in the NetworkManager applet's list had 100% signal strength, and I couldn't actually access the internet (or any wireless network).  On my computer (running Ubuntu Karmic x86), when I blacklisted the rt2x00usb drivers with these two lines added in my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file:

blacklist rt2800usb
blacklist rt2x00usb

After a reboot the NetworkManager applet uses the card normally, the wireless network have different signal strengths, and I can access the internet with the device.  The only side effect is there seems to be more messages in dmesg, but the card works perfectly AFAICT.

So, Robert: would it be possible to build the rt2870sta driver, or would you post a guide as to how to do it?  I think the source for the driver is available from Ralink's website here:
http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2   [ click on "RT2870USB(RT2870/RT2770)" and agree to the GPLv2 license to download ]

I will try to build the staging driver today, and if I'm successful I'll post a guide.

Thanks.
-- @

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM, gianluca <gian...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Avinash,

thanks for your advice! Could you tell me whether with the RT73 D-link
DWA110 you could do anything that you could with a wired network..
i.e. ping, wget any website or even use firefox in the GUI?

Thanks,

Gianluca

On Mar 15, 2:29 pm, avi <pura....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gianluca,
>
> I had similar issue!! withRT2870based Linksys WiFi Dongle.

Robert Nelson

Apr 7, 2010, 5:32:53 PM4/7/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Andruk Tatum <andruk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Rosewill RNX-N1 usb wifi dongle that uses the rt2870 chipset, and
> when I tried to use it on my laptop I got driver conflicts between the
> rt2x00usb and rt2870sta drivers.  The card sort of works during the driver
> fighting, but the biggest clue to me was that every scanned wireless network
> in the NetworkManager applet's list had 100% signal strength, and I couldn't
> actually access the internet (or any wireless network).  On my computer
> (running Ubuntu Karmic x86), when I blacklisted the rt2x00usb drivers with
> these two lines added in my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file:
> blacklist rt2800usb
> blacklist rt2x00usb
> After a reboot the NetworkManager applet uses the card normally, the
> wireless network have different signal strengths, and I can access the
> internet with the device.  The only side effect is there seems to be more
> messages in dmesg, but the card works perfectly AFAICT.
> So, Robert: would it be possible to build the rt2870sta driver, or would you
> post a guide as to how to do it?  I think the source for the driver is
> available from Ralink's website here:
> http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2   [ click on
> "RT2870USB(RT2870/RT2770)" and agree to the GPLv2 license to download ]
> I will try to build the staging driver today, and if I'm successful I'll
> post a guide.
> Thanks.

Actually, one step a head of you, it's Kconfig was set correct (wasn't
built on arm) and I just enabled it with in the last couple days..
I've been fighting it too with my wifi adapters...

Use 2.6.32.11-x12

voodoo@beagle-256mb-0:~$ ls -lh
/lib/modules/2.6.32.11-x12/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2870/
total 548K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 544K 2010-04-02 18:20 rt2870sta.ko

You'll more then likely have to set "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf"
just like on the x86, since all the rt28xx usb drivers are built as
modules....