Pico

gm2

Jan 4, 2010, 5:04:25 PM1/4/10
to Azores Genealogy
Just curious: Is anyone researching on Pico ? I see a number of posts
regarding Graciosa, Sao Miguel and Sao Jorge, but not Pico where my
grandmother originated.

Gayle

cakem...@aol.com

Jan 5, 2010, 3:15:19 PM1/5/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
My Dad was from Pico.  University of Minho has all of the areas online.  Take what they have as starting point.  The address is listed below.  On the first page, click on Ilha do Pico and on the next page, click on the area on the map that your relatives were from.  You may be asked to do it again and then you will reach a page that has an arrow in a box near the bottom and you will click on it.  When the next page loads, you will see a bunch of flags.  Click on the British flag and from then on everything will be in English.  There are mistakes in these files, but it will give a place to start.  By the way, I was just in Fresno this weekend, I live near Sacramento.

Mary Ann

Gayle Machado

Jan 5, 2010, 7:01:41 PM1/5/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Mary Ann,

Thanks for taking time to post a reply. I'm aware of the database for Pico. Actually, I spent several years extracting the marriages and deaths for Candelaria with the thought of possibly publishing the results. I was in the middle of doing the baptisms when the database came online. Oh well. Its been a wonderful tool for people !

I wrote the post because I find the migration patterns fascinating. I've found cousins in nearby cities and as far away as Canada and Panama. My connections through my grandmother extend from Candelaria to Sao Mateus, Sao Joao, and a few in Madgalena and Lages. If you ever want to compare notes.

Thanks again,
Gayle

My Dad was from Pico. University of Minho has all of the areas online.
Take what they have as starting point. The address is listed below. On the
first page, click on Ilha do Pico and on the next page, click on the area
on the map that your relatives were from. You may be asked to do it again
and then you will reach a page that has an arrow in a box near the bottom
and you will click on it. When the next page loads, you will see a bunch of
flags. Click on the British flag and from then on everything will be in
English. There are mistakes in these files, but it will give a place to
start. By the way, I was just in Fresno this weekend, I live near Sacramento.

_http://www.neps.ics.uminho.pt/açores.html_
(http://www.neps.ics.uminho.pt/açores.html)

winmail.dat

Patricia Butcher

Jan 5, 2010, 7:39:36 PM1/5/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gayle,
I am searching Pico, mostly Riberias, Pico with a few surrounding
villages and have gone back 7 generations. There are many missing
records and dead ends but I am grateful to everyone that has helped
me with my research.

Here are some of the names in my lines:
Machado Avila, Silveira Cardoso, Vieira Soares, Pires Simas, Pires
Ramalho, Lima, Machado Oliveira, Pereira Oliveira, Goulart, Silveira
Cunha & Vieira Madruga

Patricia
Las Vegas, NV

Seek...@aol.com

Seek...@aol.com

Jan 5, 2010, 8:09:55 PM1/5/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Patricia,

I have many surnames from Pico.  Some match the names that you're looking for including Silveira Cardoso, Vieira Soares, Simas, Goulart and Vieira Madruga.  I also have many combinations of Machado and also Avila, but not together.  My grandfather was born in Lajes, Pico in 1881.  His name was Jose Machado Soares.  His parents were Jose Machao and Marianna Rosa Macedo.

In a message dated 1/5/2010 4:40:05 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, pere...@cox.net writes:
Hi Gayle,
I am searching Pico, mostly Riberias, Pico with a few surrounding
villages and have gone back 7 generations. There are many missing
records and dead ends but I am grateful to everyone that has helped
me with my research.

Here are some of the names in my lines:
Machado Avila, Silveira Cardoso, Vieira Soares, Pires Simas, Pires
Ramalho, Lima, Machado Oliveira, Pereira Oliveira, Goulart, Silveira
Cunha & Vieira Madruga

Patricia
Las Vegas, NV

Patricia Butcher

Jan 5, 2010, 8:52:39 PM1/5/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Marie,
I know we've exchanged emails in the past....several years ago but never found a connection. I just emailed you an ahnentafel file of my Pico lines. Maybe we will find something this time. Thanks for responding.

Patricia

Pico lines I'm researching:

Machado Avila, Silveira Cardoso, Vieira Soares, Pires Simas, Pires Ramalho, Lima, Machado Oliveira, Pereira Oliveira, Goulart, Silveira Cunha & Vieira Madruga

EHsil...@comcast.net

Jan 5, 2010, 5:26:21 PM1/5/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gayle,
    Yes, I have relatives on Pico also. If you post some information on your family maybe others will try to connect, it seems very little is put on the list, but privately people are communicating. The list works better for me when I can bounce information that is written against my data base.

Emil Silveira

Janis Davis

Jan 5, 2010, 7:51:42 PM1/5/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,  I am  Janis.  My fathers family was from Pico.  They were Oliveira but Ellis Island changed the name to Oliver.
My grandfather was Antone Joaquim Oliveira.   Give me names and I will see if a i can be any help.

At 02:04 PM 1/4/2010, you wrote:
> Just curious: Is anyone researching on Pico ? I see a number of posts
> regarding Graciosa, Sao Miguel and Sao Jorge, but not Pico where my
> grandmother originated.
>
> Gayle

Kaylene Simmiss

Jan 5, 2010, 9:18:25 PM1/5/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrica

I see that you have come across perhaps some of the family names that I am
trying to find - Simmiss which may have been Simas and Vieira.

My gr gr gr grandparents were Joseph Vieira and Theresa??? Simmiss Vieira.
Their son was Joseph Simmiss nee Vieira from Portugal (another docuement had
the Azores) who married Aug 22 in 1887 at the age of 39??? (i think), a
sailor, to Susan Eliza Davy/or Davey aged 17 years in Motueka, Nelson, New
Zealand.

I have found it really difficult obtaining more information so that I can
continue my search...

I do not know the village where they were born.... this is the only
information about them that I have. It has come from a copy from the
births, deaths and marriages.

Any help in any direction would be greatly received.

regards
kaylene Simmiss

Jan 6, 2010, 2:29:53 PM1/6/10
to azores group
Hi Gayle,

   My paternal grandmother and grandfather are from Candelaria and I have ancestry in Sao Mateus as well. A few other villages with 1 or 2 people but Candelaria is the main village. My nrandparents are Manuel Furtado Cardoso and Maria Felizarda da Castro Cardoso. I have this line from the Minho site back to the 7th generation. There are lots of Goncalves, Ferreira, Costa Nunes, Machado, Matos, Rodrigues, Goulart, Silveira Pereira, Macedo, Neves, Luis, Sousa, Rosa, da Carmo, Silva, Garcia, Serpa, Melo, Bettencourt, Dutra, Moniz and Avila, Peixoto, Faria. They frequently married cousins....my grandparents were first cousins. I have several cousins on the site to this line that our connection is 200 plus years......perhaps we have a Candelaria connection! Perhaps some of the other Pico researchers will see some family names here!

Best regards,
Nancy Jean Baptista

> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:04:25 -0800
> Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Pico
> From: gayle....@fresnocitycollege.edu
> To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Patricia Butcher

Jan 6, 2010, 3:00:40 PM1/6/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kaylene, Janis & all list members,
Attached is my grandmother, Maria Conceicao Avila's ancestry from
Ribeiras, Pico & a few surrounding villages. If it doesn't come
through, I will send it to you privately. I would check names for you
but just had surgery2 weeks ago & not spending too much time online
just yet. All is well and I am thankful!!!

Patricia

Maria da Conceicao Avila.rtf

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may
prevent sending or receiving certain types of file
attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how
attachments are handled.

Maria da Conceicao Avila2.rtf

Gayle Machado

Jan 6, 2010, 7:44:00 PM1/6/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,

Doug Holmes asked about my most recent connection. In answering his question, I put together a list of surnames for the villages through which my paternal grandmother's family extended. I thought you might like to compare with your list.

My grandmother was Maria "Mary" Clara Medeiros, born 16 Mar 1878 in Candelaria, Pico. Her parents were Jose Rodrigues Medeiros and Josepha Clara Garcia. They were born 24 Jan 1825 and 22 Nov 1847, respectively.

The familial surnames from Candelaria include:
Rodrigues, Rodrgiues Serpa, Garcia Sousa, da Rosa, Medeiros, de Jesus, Ferreira Matos, Dutra Pereira, Sta. Quinteria, Rodrigues Sousa, Rodrigues Garcia, Costa Medeiros, Garcia, Gularte, Rodrigues Luis, Sousa, Rosa Maciel, Neves, Furtado Medeiros, Rodrigues Rocha, Cardoso, Luis Rodrigues, Luis, Ferreira, Ferreira Pereira, Dias Machado, Matos, Garcia Sarmento, Gularte Pereira, Garcia Luis, Martins, Furtado, da Costa, Vieira Tristam/ Tristao, Costa Maciel, Rodrigues Jorge, Rodrigues Pereira, Gonçalves, Concelos and Vasconcelos, Gularte Frade, Garcia Gonçalves Maciel, Gonçalves Maciel, Sao Jose Trinidade and Nunes.

My first ancestor from Sao Mateus was Eugenia Rosa Bettencourt, who was born 18 Decd 1756. Surnames from that village include:
Rodrigues Garcia, da Rosa, de Jesus, Vieira Lemos, Silveira, Pereira Cardozo, Silveira Costa, Sto. Antonio, Machado Ferreira, Fonçeca, das Candeis, Machado, Costa Gularte, Pereira, Gularte, Garcia, Garcia Melo, Vieira Bezerra, Vieira Lemos, Bettencourt Pimemtel, Garcia, Melo, Cardozo Clemente, Cardozo Frade, Rodrigues Sousa, Gularte Frade, da Costa, Madruga Pereira, de Faria, Cardozo, Costa Pereira, Sergueira, Ribeira Argolho and Vieira.

From Sao Joao, there are only a couple: Vieira Fagundes and Pereira.

From Magalena: Rodrigues Luis and Rodrigues

From Lages: da Rosa, Machado Ferreira, and Rodrigues.

Some of these lines go back to the early and mid 1600s.

Note: I hava a collateral line with a Manuel Furtado Cardoso, who was born 7 Jan 1707 in Sao Mateus. Too early to be your grandfather.

Let me know if any of these names rings a bell,
Gayle

Hi Gayle,

Best regards,

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390710/direct/01/

winmail.dat

nancy jean baptiste

Jan 6, 2010, 8:33:30 PM1/6/10
to azores group
Hi Gayle,

There is no attachment here.....the names listed below convince me we have some connections here.....in both Sao Mateus and Candelaria. I have many of these same double names....Rodrigues Serpa, Santa Quiteria,Dutra Pereira, Costa Goulart,Bettencourt, Melo and lots more of them!

Nancy Jean

> Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Pico
> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:44:00 -0800
> From: gayle....@fresnocitycollege.edu
> To: azo...@googlegroups.com

> Nancy,
>
> Doug Holmes asked about my most recent connection. In answering his question, I put together a list of surnames for the villages through which my paternal grandmother's family extended. I thought you might like to compare with your list.
>
> My grandmother was Maria "Mary" Clara Medeiros, born 16 Mar 1878 in Candelaria, Pico. Her parents were Jose Rodrigues Medeiros and Josepha Clara Garcia. They were born 24 Jan 1825 and 22 Nov 1847, respectively.
>
> The familial surnames from Candelaria include:
> Rodrigues, Rodrgiues Serpa, Garcia Sousa, da Rosa, Medeiros, de Jesus, Ferreira Matos, Dutra Pereira, Sta. Quinteria, Rodrigues Sousa, Rodrigues Garcia, Costa Medeiros, Garcia, Gularte, Rodrigues Luis, Sousa, Rosa Maciel, Neves, Furtado Medeiros, Rodrigues Rocha, Cardoso, Luis Rodrigues, Luis, Ferreira, Ferreira Pereira, Dias Machado, Matos, Garcia Sarmento, Gularte Pereira, Garcia Luis, Martins, Furtado, da Costa, Vieira Tristam/ Tristao, Costa Maciel, Rodrigues Jorge, Rodrigues Pereira, Gonçalves, Concelos and Vasconcelos, Gularte Frade, Garcia Gonçalves Maciel, Gonçalves Maciel, Sao Jose Trinidade and Nunes.
>
> My first ancestor from Sao Mateus was Eugenia Rosa Bettencourt, who was born 18 Decd 1756. Surnames from that village include:
> Rodrigues Garcia, da Rosa, de Jesus, Vieira Lemos, Silveira, Pereira Cardozo, Silveira Costa, Sto. Antonio, Machado Ferreira, Fonçeca, das Candeis, Machado, Costa Gularte, Pereira, Gularte, Garcia, Garcia Melo, Vieira Bezerra, Vieira Lemos, Bettencourt Pimemtel, Garcia, Melo, Cardozo Clemente, Cardozo Frade, Rodrigues Sousa, Gularte Frade, da Costa, Madruga Pereira, de Faria, Cardozo, Costa Pereira, Sergueira, Ribeira Argolho and Vieira.
>
> From Sao Joao, there are only a couple: Vieira Fagundes and Pereira.
>
> From Magalena: Rodrigues Luis and Rodrigues
>
> From Lages: da Rosa, Machado Ferreira, and Rodrigues.
>
> Some of these lines go back to the early and mid 1600s.
>

> Note: I hava a collateral line with a Manuel Furtado Cardoso, who was born 7 Jan 1707 in Sao Mateus. Too early to be your grandfather.
>
> Let me know if any of these names rings a bell,
> Gayle

cns...@aol.com

Jan 6, 2010, 4:21:11 PM1/6/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gayle and others,

I am starting to try and research Pico from microfilms.

My grandmother Mary Dutra came from Silveira, Pico as did at least three sisters and brothers.(Manuel, John, Mariana,Catherine and Frances)

The father's name was Joao Pereira Dutra and the mother was a Brum.  We think Catharina.

Just got a microfilm to see if I can find them.  Just had census records and now since to this group have some passenger lists and NEPS information.

Pat Nostrome
Irvine, CA

Alvin Goularte

Jan 7, 2010, 2:58:56 PM1/7/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gayle, I apologize for not chiming in sooner but it has been a great while that I turned on my computer.  My maternal grandfather, Jose Garcia Jorge, was born in Candelaria and there are several generations of Garcia Jorges that are from there.  My maternal grandmother, Amelia da Gloria Matos, was born in Madalena.  Her father, Francisco Ferreira Matos, was born in Madalena and her mother, Francisca do Epirito Santo,  was born in Lages.   I was born and grew up in Fresno and Fresno County.  Lots of cousins still there.  Are you related to Fred Machado?

Al Goularte

Jan 7, 2010, 5:11:16 PM1/7/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Al,

We’ve spoken before- shortly after I moved to Fresno. But, its been many years. I’ve met both John and Fred Machado, although they probably don’t remember it (it was at the Portuguese Hall in Easton and they were busy serving) but I’m not related. When I get home tonight I’ll look to see if I still have some records from when we last communicated. Unfortunately, today is the first day back for the new semester. I’m at work and in between meetings at the moment. I pray I get home before 8 tonight (which happened last semester). If not, then I’ll try to look this weekend. Seems to me there was a connection.

Gotta go. Sorry so short a note,

Gayle

Vivian Christy

Jan 11, 2010, 10:20:20 PM1/11/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gayle,

Are your Machado's from the Island of Pico?  I have relatives in Fresno, Riverdale, Laton, and San Luis Obispo.  Just curious.  Thank you, Vivian (Silva) Christy

Gayle Machado

Jan 12, 2010, 10:14:46 AM1/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vivian,

No, my dad’s family was from MA- specifically, Martha’s Vineyard, Fall River and Taunton. I have met John and Fred Machado over at the Portuguese Hall in Easton. Not that they would remember me- they were serving dinners at the time and quite busy dealing with a hungry crowd.
Most of the relatives on this side of the family are Medeiros/ Madeiros and located in the San Jose/ Cupertino area.

Sorry, I’m of no help.

Gayle

Alvin Goularte

Jan 12, 2010, 5:05:25 PM1/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vivian,  Just thought I would butt in.  My wife was born and grew up in the Riverdale area.  She is Velma Leal Goularte.  The Leals have a long history in the Riverdale area.  My maternal grand parents were from Pico (Madalena a nd Candalaria).

Al

From: Gayle Machado <gayle....@fresnocitycollege.edu>
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Vivian Christy

Jan 12, 2010, 11:24:02 PM1/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alvin,

My aunt Mary (Machado) Bezera grew up in Laton and after they sold their Dairy Farm they moved to Riverdale and she still lives there today.  I know most of the relatives lived in Lajes on Pico.  Mary Machado's father was Francisco Jose Machado.  Riverdale and Laton are not that far from each other.  I am sure if we dig a little we probably have common relatives. I have my family history on Ancestry.com if you would like to look at it. I can send you a invitation if you give me your personal email address.  I do not have my grandmothers birth record but am sure she was born in Lajes.  The other relatives could be from other towns I have not pinned them all down yet.  We do have Goularts in our line and many other names. So let me know if anything sounds familar.  Thank you, Vivian

Gayle Machado

Jan 13, 2010, 10:27:19 AM1/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vivian,

If you have family from Martha’s Vineyard, are they listed in the book about the Portuguese from Martha’s Vineyard ?
My dad had a cousin named Mary Silva (I have a picture of her and one of her children as an infant) but I know nothing about this side of the family. I seem to remember him saying she was a Morris cousin who married a Silva, but I couldn’t swear to it. Also, supposedly, some of the family were Silveira’s who changed their name to Silva. But, I have no info on any of them.

Gayle

Alvin Goularte

Jan 13, 2010, 2:31:42 PM1/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I would like to see your family history.  My e-mail is agou...@sbcglobal.net .

Al

Jan 13, 2010, 11:29:53 AM1/13/10
to Carleton Landers

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 07:27:19 -0800
From: gayle....@fresnocitycollege.edu
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Years ago when I was in the navy I had a friend from Dartmouth, MA. whose father owned a farm, near Dartmouth 4 Connors. His family was from the Azores. This land has all been sold for shopping centers now.I'm 81 now so it was a long time ago, but I'll bet that someone their would know the family.  Carl

Carlos Bertemes

Jan 13, 2010, 3:51:53 PM1/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I also research Pico, I dont have Bezerra, but it would be interesting analize your
roots on that Island. Perhaps I we would have informations to exchange

Thank You

Karlushko - Itajai/SC/Brasil
Pesquisando:
Santa Catarina, Alemanha, Franca, Holanda, Belgica, Espanha
Portugal, Italia, Luxemburgo

Reinert, Jungklaus, Van der Gocht, Ottekier, Hesse, Laux, Schumer, Bertemes,
Schilling, Fiorenzano, Feijo, Martins, Costa, Dutra, Dias, Silveira, Gato, Sodre,
Andre, Arruda, Aguiar, Lemos, Machado, Mattos, Silveira, Mello, Miranda, Leal
Quadrado, Rebello, Marques, Brasil, Teixeira
, Baptista, Jorge, Van der Burggerie

--- Em qua, 13/1/10, Alvin Goularte <agou...@sbcglobal.net> escreveu:

Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! + Buscados: Top 10 - Celebridades - Música - Esportes

Vivian Christy

Jan 13, 2010, 9:52:42 PM1/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gayle,

I don't know about a book of Martha Vineyard's portuguese.  My g. grandmother who was Mary (Rose) Silva was born in Mass. abt 1865-1875 I have been looking for her birth record but have not found it yet. Her father Antone Rose not sure when he was born but was born in the Azores. He started buying property abt 1880 in cottage city, Edgartown, Tisbury & Oak Bluffs.  Because he ran away with another women and was never heard from again or thats the story we heard. His wife Antonia Rose do not know her maiden name. In 1985 our family was notified that property taxes had not been paid on the property left and was auctioned off.  She was unable to pay the taxes and no one in our family was notified until it was to late.  So I do not know much about that side of the family and could not find him in the census records.  Don't know when he came to this country just that him, his wife and one son came here from the Azores. I did find some birth records for Mary Rose but the Mothers name does not match.  I don't know what he did for a living either. I know we are suppose to have relatives there by the last name of Rose but have not made any connections yet.  Just not enough info yet.  Well someday maybe I will find out. Thanks for your help.  Vivian (Silva) Christy

Jan 13, 2010, 10:10:32 PM1/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gayle,  Does she know Mary Bezerra's Daughter Bernadette Bezerra?  When I was about 12, 13 or so we used to spend the summers at my Aunt Mary Bezerra's Farm in Laton. Really she is not my Aunt but we all called her aunt Mary.  I talked to her about a month ago. She is the sweetest person you would ever want to know.  I was trying to think if I remember seeing a Rosemarie when I was young.  I am 65 so it was a long time ago. How old is Rosemarie?  Thank you, Vivian

Jan 13, 2010, 10:13:17 PM1/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Carlos, I will send you an invitation to Ancestry.com to look at what I have for the family history so far.  Thank you, Vivian (Silva) Christy

Gayle Machado

Jan 13, 2010, 10:42:43 PM1/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vivian,

I'll try to find out if she knows Bernadette. My guess is yes, because Rosemarie seems to know everybody. Yes, I know how old Rosemarie is - she's 2 days older than I am. We're not that much younger than you are. But, I'd rather not publish my age here and now. ;-)

Gayle

Gayle,  Does she know Mary Bezerra's Daughter Bernadette Bezerra?  When I was about 12, 13 or so we used to spend the summers at my Aunt Mary Bezerra's Farm in Laton. Really she is not my Aunt but we all called her aunt Mary.  I talked to her about a month ago. She is the sweetest person you would ever want to know.  I was trying to think if I remember seeing a Rosemarie when I was young.  I am 65 so it was a long time ago. How old is Rosemarie?  Thank you, Vivian

Jan 13, 2010, 11:04:16 PM1/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vivian,

The book is called "Our Portuguese Heritage, an informal genealogy of the 3000 families on Martha's Vineyard." Marianne Holmes Thomas is the author. It was published by CHiP (The Community History Project) of Edgartown, MA. I bought the first two-volume set in 1996 for about $75. Its since been updated. I believe you can find the entire book online. Try googling Portuguese on Martha's Vineyard and see if it comes up. If not, google my name. The last time I did that, the fourth listing was my family's entry in the book.

I looked for Antone Rose and did not find him in the first edition. But, there were also some families with the surname Rosa, which you could check. Let me know if you find anything.

[...]

Vivian Christy

Jan 14, 2010, 11:37:44 AM1/14/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gayle,  Sorry I forget that age is something we don't want everyone to know especially on the web.  Forgive me.  Vivian

[...]

Vivian Christy

Jan 14, 2010, 11:41:20 AM1/14/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gayle,  Thank you for the info.  I will check it out and let you know if I find anything.  I do not know if he used another name or not.  Vivian
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to Azores+unsub...@googlegroups.com.  Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive.

Gayle Machado

Jan 14, 2010, 12:18:25 PM1/14/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vivian,

That wasn’t it at all. The one coming up is one I’m not quite ready to face. ;-)

Gayle

Gayle Machado

Jan 14, 2010, 12:20:50 PM1/14/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vivian,

I spoke with Rosemarie just a few minutes ago. As I suspected, she does know Bernadette. In fact, she says they are close. They spoke just two days ago.

Gayle

Vivian Christy

Jan 15, 2010, 12:59:32 AM1/15/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gayle,

Oh I had that problem about 5 yrs ago.  Vivian

Jan 15, 2010, 1:06:04 AM1/15/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gayle,

Ask Rosemarie to tell Bernadette to answer my last email. I know she must be busy but last time it took her over a Month or two to get back to me.  But like I said I know she is busy and I have not seen her since I was about 15 yrs old.  Long time ago.  One of these days I will get a chance to go and see her and Aunt Mary.  Maybe sometime this year.  Thanks for all your help.  I did look at the site you gave me for Portuguese in Martha's Vineyard.  I did see a Antone J Rose but not sure if it is the same one.  I will do some more searching and check out the books to see if I can find anything.

Thank you again, Vivian

Jan 15, 2010, 1:08:01 PM1/15/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vivian,

My 30th was a tough one, too.

Gayle

Gayle Machado

Jan 15, 2010, 2:50:03 PM1/15/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vivian,

Also, Rosemarie says your Aunt Mary is 87 years old. I miss my mother and
miss her dearly, so understand it when I say : Don¹t wait too long to visit-
if you do it might be too late.

If its okay with you, I¹d like to forward your letter to Rosemarie. But, I
don¹t want to do that without your permission. Is it okay ?

Gayle

Vivian Christy

Jan 15, 2010, 4:56:40 PM1/15/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gayle,

Please forward my letter to her that would be great.  I know I have not seen Mary in such a long time.  I know my own mother is 89 now and she has Alzheimers.  It is so sad as when she was able to tell me I was not quite into the genealogy all the way.  So missed so much she could have told me.  I do plan to stop and see her later this year as we are going to visit my Mother in law who lives in Mariposa.  So on the way up I plan to stop and visit Mary Bezera.  It has been a few months since I spoke with her but she is always so happy when I do.  Thank you for all your help.  Vivian

cncco...@aol.com

Apr 11, 2010, 9:22:47 PM4/11/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
My great-grandfather was born in Pico in the town of San Mateus in 1840.  His name was Antonio Nunes.  He immigrated to the U.S. in 1860.

Any connections on this list?

Cynthia C

    Yes, I have relatives on Pico also. If you post some information on your family maybe others will try to connect, it seems very little is put on the list, but privately people are communicating. The list works better for me when I can bounce information that is written against my data base.

Emil Silveira

Gayle Machado

Apr 12, 2010, 2:23:07 PM4/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cynthia,

My grandmother came from Candelaria but her family extends into Sao Mateus and some from Sao Joao. Can you be more specific as to Antonio Nunes, his wife, their parents, etc. ? I’m at work right now, but I can check my records when I get home this evening (PDT). Also, I have the Amorim book for Sao Mateus, so if you need something looked up I can do that at home or possibly on Sunday, I can look at the microfilms for the village.

Gayle

Besotes

Apr 12, 2010, 12:11:58 PM4/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cynthia & Emil,

My GG Grandfather, Daniel Francisco Da Rosa was from Pico as well.  Unsure of where exactly at this time.

He settled in San Juan Bautista and Tres Penos, San Benito County, California and is buried in Hollister, California.

I have yet to find any connections online with regards to Da Rosa and Pico.

Let's hope we can find some connections. :)

Robin Borba Besotes

Researching:  Bettencourt, Borba, Barbe, Da Rosa, Jacinto, Rodrigues, Mattos, Jorge, Souto, Silveira, Canhoto
California Towns:  Newman, Turlock, Crowslanding, San Jose, San Juan, Tres Penos, Hollister, Watsonville, Pacific Grove, Miliptas
Apr 12, 2010, 3:13:04 PM4/12/10
to azores group
Hi Cynthia and other Pico people,

 Cynthia, I have quite a few Nunes in my Candelaria, Sao Mateus ancestors although many of my Nunes have the name Costa as part of the name. Do you have any additional family info for Antonio Nunes?

Robin, I see quite a few da Rosa's in my Candelaria line....do you have Daniels parents name?
I have a Joao Rosa married to an Antonia Sousa, no birth dates but their 1st child was born in 1713. A Jose Garcia Rosa ,b 3-12-1791, Candelaria. Manuel Rodrigues Rosa, b.around 1680 in Bandeiras...married Maria Pereira in 1707 and remarried Luzia Bettencourt in 1712. I see alot of the men in this line carried Rosa as a middle name.

Regards,
Nancy Jean

From: bes...@succeed.net
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Gayle Machado

Apr 12, 2010, 3:34:50 PM4/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,

I show Luzia Bettencourt as a daughter to Pedro Bettencourt, d. 9 Jul 1719, and Maria Gularte, d. 9 Jan 1721 both in Sao Mateus. I descend through their son Manuel. I don’t remember if this was one of the names we shared in our earlier correspondence. (I’m here at work and don’t have my records at hand.)

Gayle

nancy jean baptiste

Apr 12, 2010, 4:02:52 PM4/12/10
to azores group
 Hi Gayle,

    Luzia is your Manuel's younger sister...an 11 year difference.....Pedro Bettencourt and Maria Goularte are as far back as my records go for my grandmother. Do you have anyone beyond them?

   Gayle, I remember we have a great many connections.....do you recall the most RECENT of them? I remember we spoke about our distant ancestors but I don't recall the recent one.

Best regards,
Nancy

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:34:50 -0700

From: gayle....@fresnocitycollege.edu
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Nancy,

I show Luzia Bettencourt as a daughter to Pedro Bettencourt, d. 9 Jul 1719, and Maria Gularte, d. 9 Jan 1721 both in Sao Mateus. I descend through their son Manuel. I don’t remember if this was one of the names we shared in our earlier correspondence. (I’m here at work and don’t have my records at hand.)

Gayle

Cheri Mello

Apr 12, 2010, 4:57:15 PM4/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Repost for Robin :

Nancy Jean,

Here's what I have, but not verified:

Daniel Francisco DeRosa
B abt 1845 Pico

Parents: Jose De Rosa
Izabel Mariana

That's all the information I have.

He may have traveled back to the Azores during 1879 to 1881. Dan's first wife (Luisa Jacinta Canhoto) passed away and then married her Niece (Filomena Jacinto Canhoto) in 1881. His first wife and her Niece were from Santa Cruz, Flores.

Thank you for your time. Nancy Jean, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. LOL

Robin Borba Besotes

nancy jean baptiste

Apr 12, 2010, 5:38:16 PM4/12/10
to azores group
Hi Robin,

I have a Jose Rosa Maciel and Isabel Mariana from Candelaria whose daughter born in 1847 married into my line....long shot but right timeline for your Daniel...did he have siblings? I can check the NEPHS site for children of this couple and look for Daniel. I'll let you know! The way our ancestors dropped or added names makes them quite illusive at times.

Kind regards,
Nancy Jean

From: gfsc...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:57:15 -0700
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

nancy jean baptiste

Apr 12, 2010, 5:45:02 PM4/12/10
to azores group
Robin,

I just checked the NEPS site and this Jose de Rosa Maciel and his wife Isabel Marianna did have a son named Daniel.....according to the site born in 1844.....it's one of those records with no info attached like the ones for my relatives who came to the states and left no info behind for the site. It looks like this Daniel was named for his grandfather. Could these be yours.....lot's of sibs for Daniel.

Nancy Jean

From: gfsc...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:57:15 -0700
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

nancy jean baptiste

Apr 12, 2010, 5:49:14 PM4/12/10
to azores group
Oh....I forgot to add the grand father of the NEPS Daniel was Daniel Francisco Matos.....there are alot of similarities here!

From: gfsc...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:57:15 -0700
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Besotes

Apr 12, 2010, 7:07:25 PM4/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Could be?  Siblings - I have no idea.  I've recently been in contact with a cousin.  He's the GG Grandson of Dan and Dan's 2nd wife. His records are in storage, so he'll get back with me, but once he saw my tree he was surprised since he didn't have all the information.  So, who knows what he may come up with.

I do have a San Benito County census that a person sent my grandmother and she left a post-it note commenting about a Manual De Rosa a couple houses/ranches apart from Daniel's.  She wonder if it could be a brother or other relation?  Now that I'm looking at the 1880 US Census, San Benito Co. San Juan Bautista Township, it shows a Manuel Rosa from the Azores, age 35 (which is the same age listed for Daniel).  So, either Daniel had a twin or possible relative.  Now, he could be a twin since twins run in the family.  Daniel's 2nd child (to his first wife) was my Great Grandmother, Mariana and she was a twin.

I'm thinking with the Jose de Rosa and a wife of Isabel Marianna that you've found, it's pretty close.  Any suggestion on what we could search from here to investigate more?  Thanks,

Robin Borba Besotes
Researching:  Bettencourt, Borba, Barbe, Da Rosa, Jacinto, Rodrigues, Mattos, Jorge, Souto, Silveira, Canhoto
California Towns:  Newman, Turlock, Crowslanding, San Jose, San Juan, Tres Penos, Hollister, Watsonville, Pacific Grove, Miliptas  Azores:  Terceira, Sao Jorge, Faial, Pico, Flores

Gayle Machado

Apr 12, 2010, 8:34:21 PM4/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Robin,

I checked the Amorim book for Sao Mateus for 1830 - 1860. Not one Daniel was born in the 30 years span. There were 5 notations of "indeterminable" with no further info and 3 more with death dates corresponding to birth dates. Of the five, one in 1845, two in 1846, one in 1853 and the last in 1853. Nancy's find in Candelaria might work. I looked at the NEPS site and saw that most of the other options were either excluded by date or the lack of a child named Daniel.

Once you get more info, it'll be easy to go forward. The films for Sao Mateus are legible and complete. Unlike those for Candelaria, which are often faded, ink-smeared or simply missing altogether.

Gayle

Apr 12, 2010, 9:23:53 PM4/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cynthia,

I see two possibilities for your Antonio Nunes. There may be more, but here's what I've found so far:
1. Francisco Nunes and Maria Josefa. He was born 15 Jul 1809 and d. 21 Apr 1878. Her years were 1808
-1868.
Their children: Manuel Francisco 1831-1907, Francisco . 1833, Jose Nunes Silva 1835-1884, Teresa b 1844,
Joao b 1846, Sebastiao b 1851, and Isabel b 1855.

2. Manuel Francisco Nunes and Emerenciana. He was b 2 Oct 1800, she on 24 Dec 1808. Their children:
Manuel 1830-1830, Manuel b 1831, Maria Rosa b 1834, Antonio b 9 Feb 1840, Rosa Conceicao 1842
-1925, Joao b 1845, Mariana b 1848 and Jose Francisco Nunes 1851-1909.

Does any of this seem to match up with what you know ?

Gayle

Apr 12, 2010, 9:34:35 PM4/12/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Robin,

Me again. I've also checked the Amorim book for Sao Joao during the years 1830 - 1860. There are no Daniels listed there either. Not good news. However, it does mean one less village to research so I hope that helps.

Gayle

From: bes...@succeed.net
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Besotes

Apr 13, 2010, 12:31:42 PM4/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nancy!  Where on Pico did you find them?  I'll look over the census records this afternoon.  I'm tied up this morning.  I do remember seeing Manual being married, but he was listed as Jose Dutra's partner in a dairy or ranching with Jose family listed.  No spouse or children that I could see for Manual.  So, he could have lived in a neighboring county.

I'll check back as soon as I can.  TTFN, Robin Borba Besotes

Besotes

Apr 13, 2010, 12:34:44 PM4/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gayle,

I'll try and do some research this afternoon. I'm waiting to hear from a
cousin to see if he has more information to help narrow down more
information. The cousin still lives in San Benito County, so I'm hoping
he'll have even a little piece of the puzzle. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again, Robin Borba Besotes

I checked the Amorim book for Sao Mateus for 1830 - 1860. Not one Daniel was

nancy jean baptiste

Apr 13, 2010, 1:08:43 PM4/13/10
to azores group
Robin,

NEPS site...enter Pico.....go to Madelena.....Candelaria....enter  Isabel Marianna, you want the one married to Jose da Rosa Maciel and it's all there.

Nancy

From: bes...@succeed.net
To: azo...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:31:42 -0700

cara...@aol.com

Apr 13, 2010, 2:41:17 PM4/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Where can you find the Pico census? Are they at NEPS?
Thanks,
Cheryl

nancy jean baptiste

Apr 13, 2010, 3:19:13 PM4/13/10
to azores group
Hi Cheryl,

   I was referring to the 1880 California census where Robin saw a "Manuel" living in proximity to her Daniel.

    I don't think there is a Pico "census" per se other than the church or cival records....if there is something like that perhaps a list member will let us know!

Nancy

To: azo...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] AZORES-Genealogy] Pico - Census
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:41:17 -0400
From: cara...@aol.com

Where can you find the Pico census? Are they at NEPS?
Thanks,
Cheryl

cara...@aol.com

Apr 13, 2010, 6:20:16 PM4/13/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,
Oh how sad. I was hoping the census were something I had missed. I often wish we had Azores census to work with.
Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Take care,
Cheryl

Simas, Lizuarte

Apr 19, 2010, 7:30:19 PM4/19/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I've just listed for this group and noticed all the posts.

My known routs are on the island of Pico. I was born in Sao Rouque. My father is from there with his name Gualberto Garcia Simas with a family home at the rebira da fonte. My mother is from Sao Cateano with her family home at caminho de Cima with her name Maria Goulart Cabral. Our family immigrated to the Toronto area with my dads family immigrating to California.

Does anyone have any historical information on these families?

Look forward to your comments.

Thanks

From: debmarie <mzleo...@comcast.net>
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Terceira
To: "Azores Genealogy" <azo...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 7:53 AM

Hello...

I am new to the group and just getting started (seriously) on my
family tree.

I will be in Terceira this summer and plan to do some research.  If I
can be of any help to any of you while I am there let me know.

My Family Names are:
Leonardo (paternal), Teixeira (maternal), Azevedo, Soares, Goncalves

Predominantly from Porto Judeu & Feteira.

My grandfather used to be the barber in Porto Judeo and his shop was
across the street from what is now Boca Negra.

Take care

Kaylene Simmiss

Apr 20, 2010, 3:10:13 AM4/20/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi

my name is Kaylene Simmiss, and I have traced my ancestors to the Azores.  I am wondering if you are actually a relative as I have been told that our family name may have been from Simas...now known as Simmiss.

I would love to hear from you if this is the case.

regards
kaylene

Cheri Mello

Apr 20, 2010, 12:33:45 PM4/20/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Kaylene,

If you hear the Portuguese pronunciation of Simas, it would sound kind of like SEE-Mish.  So I'd say your spelling is a phonetic representation from way back when.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Simas, Lizuarte

Apr 20, 2010, 1:03:53 PM4/20/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I was born on the island and immigrated to Toronto in 1971......where are you located.

Apr 21, 2010, 10:08:03 AM4/21/10
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Sure....my e-mail address is lizuart...@york.ca

From: Gayle Machado <gayle....@fresnocitycollege.edu>