Coelho from Santa Maria

nancy jean baptiste

Mar 26, 2011, 2:27:33 PM3/26/11
to azores group
Greetings Group,

I'm looking for others who may be connected to Matias Coelho son of Antonio Coelho who was the son of Matias Furtado Leite and Catarina Coelho Melo....I have very few dates for these people unfortunetly.....I do know that:

Matias Coelho married Catarina Inacia on Nov. 10, 1790 in Nossa Senhora da Purificacao, Santo Espirito, Santa Maria...Catarina was the daughter of Martinho Almada and Vitoria Teresa de Jesus both she and Matias were born in Almagreira, Santa Maria

Matias father, Antonio Coelho married Maria dos Santos Sept. 9, 1743 in Vila do Porto, Santa Maria

Antonio's father, Matias Furtado Leite was born in Agua de Pau, Sao Miguel....he is also called Matias Furtado de Sousa and he is the son of Joao Dantes

Sound familiar to anyone?

Nancy Jean Baptista
researching Santa Maria for Cabral, Moreira, Coelho, Almada

Manoel Cesar

Mar 27, 2011, 1:37:37 AM3/27/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,

Your Catarina (Velho) Coelho de Melo is in the Rodrigo Rodrigues' book.
I'm gonna try to translate it into english and send it to you.

Sure I am you go right away back to the Velho Cabral and Travassos old lineage.

Manoel

2011/3/26 nancy jean baptiste <fishso...@hotmail.com>:

> --
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right

Manoel Cesar Furtado
man...@gmail.com

Message has been deleted

Linda Norton

Mar 27, 2011, 10:20:34 AM3/27/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I was going to say Manoel Cesar Furtado since that's his line, but he has responded. He and I are connected as well.

Linda Borges Furtado Norotn

From: azo...@googlegroups.com [mailto:azo...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of

nancy jean baptiste

Mar 27, 2011, 12:49:18 PM3/27/11
to azores group
Thank you Manoel,

I'm very interested in any information especially dates for this line. Catarina Velho Coelho de Melo was my 7th grandmother behind my paternal greatgrandmother from Santa Maria, Catarina Moreira Cabral....I'm aware that this line goes back to Diogo and Violante.....I would love to find others connected that may not already be in the "Tavassos  Velho Cabral" club....Sam, maybe we connect on our Santa Maria line as well as our Sao Jorge line....double cousins so to speak! It was looking at this Coelho line that made me realize I have some ancestry to the Agua de Pau in Sao Miguel.....perhaps I should look again for other connections to those who trace back there....

Nancy Jean

> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 02:37:37 -0300

> Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Coelho from Santa Maria

Sam Koester

Mar 27, 2011, 1:32:03 PM3/27/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Nancy;  I will be very surprised if we don’t find a connection on the Santa Maria line as well.  I have recently made a connection with Tish on that line and because of that, have a few more names but; none that help with connecting to your line yet.

Take care, Sam in Maz

Manoel Cesar

Mar 27, 2011, 8:52:33 PM3/27/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Nancy, Linda, Sam and Helen,

Here´s the excerpt from the Rodrigo Rodrigues’ book ‘Genealogias de
São Miguel e Santa Maria’:

Chapter 156

João da Ponte das Cortes (the old one) descendancy:

1 - João da Fonte das Cortes, one of the first settlers of the island
of Santa Maria ( See Frutuoso, Book II, Chapter III , § XIX). He
married Inês Afonso, daughter of Jorge Velho and Africa Anes (Chapter
103, § 1, No. 2).

2 - Adão da Fonte, knight of Santiago, from the island of Santa Maria
(See Frutuoso Book III, § XIX, Chapter III) (Book IV Chapter VIII, §
1). He married Beatriz Afonso born in the island of Madeira.

3 - Sebastião da Fonte Velho, captain, resident in Santa Bárbara de
Santa Maria. His wife Maria Romeiro Velho was the godmother at a
baptism in Matriz de Vila do Porto on 22 february 1598. It seems that
he was first married with Andresa Fernandes (Note No. 1). He married
in the island of Santa Maria for the second time (?) before1598 with
Maria Romeiro Velho * (Chapter 33, § 8, No. 7).
With the second wife:

4 - Sebastião da Fonte Velho, captain (See Coat of Arms of Gaspar de
Andrade Columbreiro, page 636, in ‘Arquivo Heráldico e Genealógico de
Sanches de Baena’). He married Maria Velho de Melo. (Chapter 33, § 2,
No.7).

5 - Capitão Baltazar Velho de Andrade. (Note No. 4). He married in
Matriz de Vila do Porto on November 1657 with Maria de Andrade Poim
and he married for the second time before 1673 with Catarina Velho de
Melo.
With the second wife:

6 - Catarina Velho or Coelho de Melo, who married for the first time
in Matriz de Vila do Porto on 23 september 1697 with Matias Furtado de
Sousa, from Agua de Pau, son of João Dantes (sic) and Maria Furtado.
She married for the second time at the same freguesia on 23 december
1708 with Sebastião Jácome de Resendes (Chapter 30, § 2, No. 8).
With the first husband:

7 - António Coelho, married in Matriz de Vila do Porto on 9 september
1743 with Maria dos Santos, from Almagreira, daughter of Francisco
Velho Dias and Isabel de Andrade married in Vila do Porto on 2 august
1708.

* (The Maria Romeiro Velho’s line goes back to Diogo Gonçalves de
Travassos and Violante Velho Cabral)

Manoel

Sam Koester

Mar 27, 2011, 9:31:04 PM3/27/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Manoel; Thank you for this information. I can't make a connection at this
point but; will save it for the future when perhaps, it will come together
with my line.

Many thanks, Sam in Maz

Mar 27, 2011, 9:42:42 PM3/27/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manuel, (sorry for budding in but I'm also part of this line)

I am a direct descendant of Joao Jorge (son of Africa Anes x Jorge Velho) he married Beatriz Vicente from Algarve.  Does RR show anything on her line?  Is there a way to trace who her parents were?

Thank you.

Margaret Vicente

Margaret M Vicente

belle...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2011, 12:49:01 AM3/28/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I traced my ancestors from the Algarve thru FHC films. Very easy as I knew the parish. etombo.com has some of the records online now so you can search from home....if you know the parish it will be of great help....otherwise you will have to search each parish.

http://etombo.com/distrito/faro.html

"E"

nancy jean baptiste

Mar 28, 2011, 12:07:46 PM3/28/11
to azores group
Thank you Manoel,

I love reading this type of information and would give anything to have a copy of this book! Can I still buy this book ANYWHERE?

Last year when we went to Semana do Mar in Faial they have a book sale every year.... I found a book in Portuguese about Africa Annes......I have been translating it very slowly now for 10 months....a very tedious task when you have little Portuguese language skills!

Margaret, I'm descended from Africa and Jorge Velho also, through their daughter, Inez Afonso, and I'm also descended from Africa again by her marriage to Nuno Velho Cabral through their son Duarte Nunes Velho and Isabel Fernandes. One generation later cousins married and I descend from that relationship...I feel very connected to Africa Annes since I have double descendency from her....I wish I knew more about her! With all the cousin marriages in my various lines I'm lucky not to have 2 heads or some such thing!

Still hoping for that connection to my Coelho's from Santa Maria. Helen, with my ggrandmother, Catarina Cabral being from Almegreira and your Maria Cabral being from the same village we must have a connection. My Catarina, came to New Bedford in the 1880's....have been unable to find her passport but know that she picked up a copy of her baptismal record in Feb. 1882 but I have no trace of her until she married my ggrandfather, Antonio Teixeira Baptista in Jan. 1888 in New Bedford.

Thank all for insights and feedback,
Nancy Jean

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:42:42 -0400

Manoel Cesar

Mar 28, 2011, 1:58:55 PM3/28/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margaret,

Unfortunately, RR says nothing about her line, so it´s very difficult
to trace who were her parents without a documental evidence.
The only thing we can speculate about is that she might be a daughter
or a grand-daughter of someone named Vicente.

Manoel

Manoel Cesar

Mar 28, 2011, 6:44:09 PM3/28/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,

The book was published by Dislivro in Portugal, and it is currently
out of print.

Here´s the link:
http://www.dislivro.pt/livros_categoria.asp?Cat_Id=1001&offset=10

Manoel

Linda Norton

Mar 29, 2011, 10:37:12 AM3/29/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
That was confusing with all the first and second marriages. I've found that
my mothers father's maternal side came down from the Travossos/Velho, but I
would be interested in the de Andrade since that was my mothers mother's
paternal side which was connected to Rodrigues.

Does Rodigues have his own history in the book? Does he have connection that
you can see with de Andrade? This would be from Sao Miguel. My mother is
Ines de Andrade Borges. I've learned that she dropped Rodrigues as her
mother did.

The Matias Furtado de Sousa is where you, Manoel is connected. I think
that's where we are connected as well. That is my fathers both maternal and
paternal side from Ribeira Grande.

Thanks for this information.

Linda Borges Furtado Norton

Mar 29, 2011, 11:13:51 AM3/29/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margaret and Manoel,

Manoel, you gave me this info years ago:

According to Frutuoso, Jorge Furtado was grandson of Martin Anes Furtado de
Sousa from S. Miguel. He married first to Catarina Nunes Velho and had
Leonardo Furtado and a daughter ?name. Leonardo married Beatriz Perdigoa and
they had Jorge Furtado, Francisco Furtado and Maria de Sousa. Jorge Furtado
married again to Guimar Camelo, had four children, one named Jorge as well.
Also, descendants of Martim Anes Furtado de Sousa and the reference to Jorge
Furtado de Mendonca brought by Frutuoso in his book on the male lines.

There is another line of Furtado's through the females. Diogo Afonso
Columbreiro, son of Afonso Anes da Costa m. Branca Roiz de Medeiros,
daughter of Rui Vaz de Medeiros and Ana/Mecia Goncalves, daughter of Jorge
de Mendonca. The sons of Diogo and Branca are Pedro Furtado and Sebastiao
Afonso. I think Sebastiao had a son, Aleixos Furtado de Mendonca. So, Jorge
Furtado de Mendonca under the Medeiros chapter has his surname passed by his
daugher in the island on a distant third gradson and the brother of Diogo,
also named Afonso Anes as his father married Ines Martins daughter of Martim
Anes Furtado de Sousa.

I am going to take a shot in saying that Africa Anes and Jorge Velho brought
down these lines both on female and male sides? So can I say we have an
Anes/Velho club in this group?

Linda Borges Furtado Norton

Mar 29, 2011, 3:06:20 PM3/29/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Linda,

One must be careful about surnames in Azores.
They come from the parents, from the father or the mother; come from
paternal or maternal grand-fathers or grand-mothers, or even from
great grandparents. And, also important, sometimes, not so often, they
are simply adopted, with no connections to the original surmanes of
the family.

In this case concerning Jorge Velho married to Africa Anes, the
surname Velho was adopted.
Frutuoso says that Jorge Velho was nephew of the King of Fez, and he
was baptized at the presence of the Prince (Infante) D. Henrique, took
the christian forename Jorge and has honored Gonçalo Velho (Cabral)
with the surname Velho.

Catarina Nunes Velho married to Jorge Furtado was from the true
Velho's, connected to the family of Gonçalo Velho (Cabral) who was
sent to Azores in 1444 by Prince D. Henrique in order to colonize the
islands of Santa Maria and São Miguel.
Gonçalo Velho (Cabral) brought his nephews Pedro and Nuno, sons of his
sister Violante Velho Cabral who was married to Diogo Gonçalves de
Travassos.

You and I do descend from Pedro, but not through the Furtado line, as
far as know.

Our common ancestors in this line are João Rebelo and Maria Travassos,
maried about 1600. Their daughter Ana Cabral, born 30 Apr 1606 in
Ribeira Frande, S. Miguel, is the 3rd grandmother of Rita de Jesus, my
4th grandmother who married my 4th grandfather José Furtado born 19
Mar 1784 in Vila Franca do Campo, S. Miguel.

Manoel

Manoel Cesar

Mar 29, 2011, 7:10:12 PM3/29/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Linda,

The history of Rodrigo Rodrigues is very interesting.

His 4th grandfather was Inácio de Moura, born in the island of Santa
Maria and married there in 1715 with Margarida de Andrade.
He was son of unknown parents (pais incógnitos), possibly son of the
great-captain (capitão-mor) of the island of Santa Maria, Inácio de
Sousa Coutinho.

The Moura family’s lands were usurped and illegally appropriated by
the widow and the heirs of the great-captain Inácio de Sousa Coutinho.
The Moura’s brought suit against the widow Maria Josefa do Canto e
Medeiros, but the legal case did not succeed and the Moura family was
then reduced to poverty.

Because of this fact one of the Inacio Moura’s grandsons, Francisco
José de Moura, dropped his surname Moura and adopted the surname
Rodrigues. He moved to the island of S. Miguel and married with Inacia
Rosa on 1796, in Matriz de Ponta Delgada.

Here are the descendants of Francisco José de Moura a.k.a. Francisco Rodrigues:

1. João Bernardo Rodrigues m. Carlota Amalia de Sousa, on 1834 in
Matriz de Ponta
Delgada

2. João Bernardo Rodrigues m. Leonor de Arruda, on 1873 in Matriz de
Ponta Delgada

3. Rodrigo Rodrigues, b. 1873, m. Clotilde de Azevedo Oliveira, on
1900 in Matriz de
Ponta Delgada. Died on 11 december 1956, in Ponta Delgada, São Miguel.

Manoel

Linda Norton

Mar 29, 2011, 8:33:13 PM3/29/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com, man...@netsite.com.br
That is very interesting.

I guess I'm still going with - Antonio Rodrigues m. Brisida Resendes from
Matriz, R.G. or Sebastio Rodrigues m. to Catarina Velho to bring down my
Manuel Rodrigues from Sao Roque, Sao Miguel.

Linda

Mar 30, 2011, 1:23:49 AM3/30/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com, man...@netsite.com.br
I believe most of us are cousins by interrelated marriages. As you had once
told me the first Furtado to come to the island of Sao Miguel had brought
down that name through the male and female lines.

As I told Pat Girard I don't believe there are dead ends. I have cousins
married within my parents lines together and within their own lines
together. I look back and see the same names in both my father's lines
that's in my mother's lines, why is that.

I also think it's another reason why children didn't survive because of the
same blood lines.

Sorry, but that's what I believe.

You have Furtado and de Sousa from Ribeira Grande as I do and we aren't
related there?

My mothers father's maternal side, Rosa (possibly a name dropped) came down
from the Travossos/Cabral/Velho line.

Linda

Mar 30, 2011, 11:53:03 AM3/30/11
to Azores Genealogy
Linda,

My cousin worked for a physician in the Bay Area and he treated many Azorean Portuguese patients.  Once he found that my cousin was Azorean Portuguese, the doctor noted to my cousin that there were several physical problems to look for because of the family "interbreeding" on the small islands.

I googled this topic and found the following illnesses related to Azorean Portuguese:

Azorean Disease (Machado-Joseph Disease, Joseph Disease, Spinocerebelllar ataxia type III)  http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/96243/azorean_disease_the_plight_of_portuguese.html?cat=70, http://www.novelguide.com/a/discover/gegd_0002_0001_0/gegd_0002_0001_0_00053.html

Bipolar / Schizophrenia research project in the Azores http://www.usc.edu/dept/pubrel/trojan_family/winter07/island.html

My great-grandfather and my grandmother had ataxia type III.  It manifested itself when they were in their late 70's.  My grandmother was picked up by the police several times when walking for exercise because they received calls that a drunk woman was walking on the streets.  She wasn't drunk but just started losing control of her limbs.  My father begged her to stop and eventually she quit walking on the streets and just around her retirement complex.  Eventually my ggfather and grandmother were bedridden in their 80's when their legs totally gave out.

There is family lore of a Freitas brother of my great-grandmother who was mentally ill.  I haven't been able to find any references to him in the US census records yet.  He immigrated from the Flores island and lived with a variety of Californian relatives from time to time.  He burned down a home that he lived in.

I know an Azorean Portuguese descendant who has been in a California mental institution for almost 20 years with bipolar/schizophrenia.

I have been noting disease trends in my genealogy research.  There is alcoholism on my mother's side of the family and I've traced back its roots to the mid-1800's.  On my husband's side of the family, I've noted the generic trend of certain relatives having a bicuspid heart valve.  I think that it is an important aspect of genealogy research that can be helpful to descendants reviewing our genealogy records.

Linda, you don't have to worry about having an opinion about Azorean family intermarriages and illness.  It is a reality.

Debbie Wolgemuth
Researching Azoreans:  Jorge (Flores), Freitas (Flores), Enos (San Miguel), Silveira Matos (Faial), Rodrigues (unknown)
Immigrated to:  Merced, CA

nancy jean baptiste

Mar 30, 2011, 6:37:13 PM3/30/11
to azores group
Greetings,
While I find this to be a very interesting subject I feel that the thread regarding the Coelho's from Santa Maria has been absconded. The subject of cousin marriages and desease's related to our people for various reasons deserves a thread all of it's own....some people would like the info and others looking for Coelho's will be disappointed to have to read 15 messages before finding the origional posting in search of COELHO's!.
Let's start a desease /genetic thread all it's own!
Thanks,
Nancy Jean
researching Santa Maria for Coelho, Moreira, Andrade and Cabral

helen kerner

Mar 30, 2011, 6:57:17 PM3/30/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Nancy Jean,

I agree.  It's messing up my filing system.

helen cunha kerner

Mar 30, 2011, 7:56:24 PM3/30/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Debbie,

Thank you for sharing all the info.

Ally
Vieira Anselmo in Ribeira Seca, Sao Miguel
Pinheiro, Nunes, Silveira in Praia do Almoxarife and Pedro Miguel, Faial
Silveira, Rodrigues in Sao Jorge

Manoel Cesar

Apr 9, 2011, 5:22:15 PM4/9/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Linda,

I’ve done a research throughout the two main sources we have, Saudades
da Terra by Frei Gaspar Frutuoso, and Genealogias de S. Miguel by
Rodrigo Rodrigues, in order to indentify the first Furtado families
that came to S. Miguel at the beginning of the colonization, and
passed the Furtado surname to their descendants, and I found the
following families:

1. Martim Anes Furtado de Sousa – from the island of Madeira

2. Ana (or Mecia) Gonçalves daughter of Jorge (Furtado) de Mendonça –
married with Rui Vaz de Medeiros in the island of Madeira

3. Rodrigo Afonso (Furtado) married with Mecia Gonçalves or Afonso –
He was from Faro, Algarve, Portugal (Not sure if the suname came from
him or from his wife)

4. Isabel Furtado and Inês de Albernaz (Furtado), daughters of João de
Albernaz from the island of Faial

5. Beatriz Furtado, from the island of Graciosa, wife of Simão Pires
son of Duarte Pires da Rocha who married for the second time with Inês
de Albernaz (Furtado).

6. Isabel Furtado, daughter of João Luiz and Francisca Furtado,
married with Baltazar Ferreira whose father Gaspar Ferreira married
for the second time with a Francisca Furtado.

7. Frutuoso Dias (Furtado) – Frei Gaspar Frutuoso’s father

It´s so interesting that Frei Gaspar Frutuoso was from a Furtado
family and unfortunately for us he has been very discreet about his
own family in his work Saudades da Terra. But, in the chapter on Rui
Vaz de Medeiros he give us a precious hint about the common origin of
the Furtado’s in the island of S. Miguel. Talking about the wife of
Rui Vaz de Medeiros, Ana Gonçalves, he says she was "daughter of a
noble citizen Jorge de Mendonça who has many relatives nowadays (c.
1560) with the surname Mendonça and the surname Furtado".

Manoel Cesar Furtado

2011/3/30 Linda Norton <patl...@verizon.net>:

> I believe most of us are cousins by interrelated marriages. As you had once
> told me the first Furtado to come to the island of Sao Miguel had brought
> down that name through the male and female lines.
>
> As I told Pat Girard I don't believe there are dead ends. I have cousins
> married within my parents lines together and within their own lines
> together. I look back and see the same names in both my father's lines
> that's in my mother's lines, why is that.
>
> I also think it's another reason why children didn't survive because of the
> same blood lines.
>
> Sorry, but that's what I believe.
>
> You have Furtado and de Sousa from Ribeira Grande as I do and we aren't
> related there?
>
> My mothers father's maternal side, Rosa (possibly a name dropped) came down
> from the Travossos/Cabral/Velho line.
>
> Linda

Message has been deleted

Linda Norton

Apr 11, 2011, 12:19:50 AM4/11/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the hiccups, but it seems it does this only when I reply on this
site???

Any, thanks Manoel. I will have to find out which line I am descending from
then.

Thanks,

Linda Borges Furtado Norton

Apr 11, 2011, 12:18:26 AM4/11/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the family line of Mendonca.  Patsy and I have a Jerome Mendonca married to our Great Aunt Mary Vieira Anselmo in the 1900 California.  This may or may not be a connection so we will file it under future research.  Thank you for sharing the info with the group, it is interesting to read all the different family lines even if there is no connection.  Soa Miguel is a small island (even though the largest of the Azores) so the possibility of a connection is there.

Thanks to you and all who share.

Ally
Vieira Anselmo in Ribeira Seca, Sao Miguel Pinheiro, Nunes, Silveira in Praia do Almoxarife and Pedro Miguel, Faial
Silveira, Rodrigues in Sao Jorge

Linda Norton

Apr 18, 2011, 12:57:39 AM4/18/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry getting back this late to you Manoel, but my ggrandfather was Manuel
de Almeida de Andrade Rodrigues born around 1850's. I wonder if there is a
connection there even though he took the Rodrigues name. He was a prominent
man so my mother tells me. He brought down a great dowry, that his only son
depleated. He was from Sao Roque, then Arrifes and then my grandmother (his
daughter) ended in Ribeira Grande. I'm curious how or why he took the name.

Linda

Apr 18, 2011, 6:16:18 PM4/18/11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Linda,

Do you know where and when your Manuel de Almeida de Andrade Rodrigues married?

Manoel