is Android 2.0 is final version of donut ?

1 view

abhijit...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2009, 6:08:57 AM10/28/09
to android-platform, abhij...@gmai.com
is just released Android 2.0 is final version of donut branch ?

i am not seeing any tag for Android 2.0 in git. Latest updates on Git
are android-1.6_r1.4 tag and eclair branch.

So any idea which is one is Android 2.0 ?

regards
abhijith

Al Sutton

Oct 28, 2009, 6:11:00 AM10/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/browse_thread/thread/e0d8aa1d3d1cb547

--

* Looking for Android Apps? - Try http://andappstore.com/ *

======
company number 6741909.

subsidiaries.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 28, 2009, 6:18:20 AM10/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Android 2.0 comes from Google's internal eclair branch, which hasn't
been open-sourced, and is quite different from donut. In turn, that
eclair branch came from the open-source master branch, whereas the
donut branch came from Google's internal cupcake branch.

JBQ
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

n0ahg

Oct 28, 2009, 7:46:24 PM10/28/09
to android-platform
http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0.html

Is it worth developing against the current master if it is so far
behind release?

On Oct 28, 10:18 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Android 2.0 comes from Google's internal eclair branch, which hasn't
> been open-sourced, and is quite different from donut. In turn, that
> eclair branch came from the open-source master branch, whereas the
> donut branch came from Google's internal cupcake branch.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:08 AM, abhijith.off...@gmail.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 28, 2009, 9:48:36 PM10/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
It really depends what you're planning to work on. At the moment,
don't bother touching anything related to bluetooth, contacts, email,
or low-level graphics, as those are substantially different in
Google's internal trees and would have very little chance of merging.

On the other hand, if you want to work on the download manager (an
area that I'm very familiar with), it's pretty much up-to-date, and
I'm sure that there are many other such areas.

JBQ

GeunSik Lim

Oct 28, 2009, 8:45:44 PM10/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Refer to belows.

1 http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/manifest.git
* [new branch] eclair -> origin/eclair

2 http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/development.git
* [new branch] android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot -> korg/android-sdk-2.0_r1_
snapshot
* [new branch] android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot ->
korg/android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot

3 http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/external/qemu.git

4 http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/external/webkit.git
* [new branch] android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot ->
korg/android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot
* [new branch] android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot ->
korg/android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot

5 http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git
63abad7..6c63ee4 donut -> korg/donut
35eae22..a74dc60 master -> korg/master

6 http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/apps/Phone.git
6d34074..477152a donut -> korg/donut
a791004..42048b6 master -> korg/master
--
Regards,
GeunSik Lim ( Samsung Electronics )

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 29, 2009, 8:14:27 AM10/29/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
To explain/clarify what those are:

-The branches android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot and
android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot (in 6 projects, 3 of which are new)
contain snapshots of GPL/LGPL/EPL code as released in the 2.0 SDK.
Those branches actually point to the same changes. The eclair branch
in the manifest project contains two manifests
android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot.xml and android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot.xml
that refer to the branches mentioned above.

-The changes in frameworks/base and packages/apps/Phone aren't new
code drops (the source code it identical), but they now contain the
full uncensored change-by-change donut history in those projects (they
couldn't be released before as they contained mentions of Droid, which
hadn't been announced).

JBQ

swamytk

Oct 29, 2009, 12:49:50 PM10/29/09
to android-platform
sorry for my ignorance....

as a summary, I want to know how to checkout source code for eclair as
per the following step of building my own image.

repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git

the above step holds good to checkout eclair?

On Oct 29, 5:14 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> To explain/clarify what those are:
>
> -The branches android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot and
> android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot (in 6 projects, 3 of which are new)
> contain snapshots of GPL/LGPL/EPL code as released in the 2.0 SDK.
> Those branches actually point to the same changes. The eclair branch
> in the manifest project contains two manifests
> android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot.xml and android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot.xml
> that refer to the branches mentioned above.
>
> -The changes in frameworks/base and packages/apps/Phone aren't new
> code drops (the source code it identical), but they now contain the
> full uncensored change-by-change donut history in those projects (they
> couldn't be released before as they contained mentions of Droid, which
> hadn't been announced).
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM, GeunSik Lim <leem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Refer to belows.
>
> > 1http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/manifest.git
> >  * [new branch]      eclair     -> origin/eclair
>
> > 2http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/development.git
> >  * [new branch]      android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot -> korg/android-sdk-2.0_r1_
> > snapshot
> >  * [new branch]      android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot ->
> > korg/android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot
>
> > 3http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/external/qemu.git
> >  * [new branch]      android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot ->
> > korg/android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot
> >  * [new branch]      android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot ->
> > korg/android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot
>
> > 4http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/external/webkit.git
> >  * [new branch]      android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot ->
> > korg/android-sdk-2.0_r1_snapshot
> >  * [new branch]      android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot ->
> > korg/android-sdk-tools_r3_snapshot
>
> > 5http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git
> >  63abad7..6c63ee4  donut      -> korg/donut
> >  35eae22..a74dc60  master     -> korg/master
>
> > 6http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/apps/Phone.git
> >  6d34074..477152a  donut      -> korg/donut
> >  a791004..42048b6  master     -> korg/master
>
> > e-Mail: geunsik....@samsung.com
> >           lee...@gmail.com , leem...@gmail.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 29, 2009, 1:16:54 PM10/29/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
At this point the source code for eclair is not available in AOSP, so
there's nothing to check out.

When it does become available, I expect that the eclair mainline will
be reachable with repo init -u
git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b eclair

JBQ

Daniel Baeyens

Oct 29, 2009, 1:25:12 PM10/29/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What about RIL? There was a "big change" (not so big, but with more
features) between cupcake and donut, to support CDMA. Is this layer
going to be heavily impacted by the 2.0 release?

Thanks and kind regards,
--
Daniel Baeyens
Warp Networks S.L. - http://www.warp.es

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 29, 2009, 1:30:40 PM10/29/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I don't have direct detailed knowledge about the individual modules.

JBQ

ZaichengQi

Oct 30, 2009, 10:06:20 AM10/30/09
to android-platform
Thanks,very useful information. I just wonder if you are hanging aroud
this mailing list all day long, your reply is quite often.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 30, 2009, 10:20:40 AM10/30/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Not quite all day long, sometimes I actually sleep ;-)

JBQ