PREDICT the Winners - Fun, Fun & Fun. Relax, take it easy and don't be shy ;)

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 8, 2008, 1:54:32 AM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
My list of winners:

1. PlusMinus - anddev.org
2. Zhobbs - helloandroid.com
3. Peli & co - openintents.org
4. Craig Baker - elimatta.com
5. Jasta as known in #android channel.

Now go ahead and list yours :)

= Muthu Ramadoss.
http://mobeegal.in
find stuff closer.

Dan U.

Apr 8, 2008, 3:05:39 AM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
I thought we were supposed to predict app winners. I think for non-
app, your list is pretty accurate.

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 8, 2008, 3:08:35 AM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure there's a lot more exciting apps and exciting people. Bring it
on, folks!

--
Thanks.

Muthu Ramadoss
http://mobeegal.in http://androidrocks.in http://intellibitz.com
http://twitter.com/intellibitz http://linkedin.com/in/tellibitz
http://slideshare.net/intellibitz
http://groups.google.com/group/android-chennai
+91 44 22476750

We develop innovative search solutions using LBS for Android.

Harsh Jain

Apr 8, 2008, 4:11:58 AM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
you dont think u are going to win ? I hope google publishes a list of all submissions.

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 8, 2008, 4:16:49 AM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm confident I'll win, just trying to stay humble ;)

Harsh Jain wrote:
> you dont think u are going to win ? I hope google publishes a list of
> all submissions.
>
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Muthu Ramadoss
> <muthu.r...@gmail.com <mailto:muthu.r...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> I'm sure there's a lot more exciting apps and exciting people.
> Bring it
> on, folks!
>
> Dan U. wrote:
> > I thought we were supposed to predict app winners. I think for non-
> > app, your list is pretty accurate.
> >
> > On Apr 7, 10:54 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com

> <mailto:muthu.ramad...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >> My list of winners:
> >>

> >> 1. PlusMinus - anddev.org <http://anddev.org>
> >> 2. Zhobbs - helloandroid.com <http://helloandroid.com>
> >> 3. Peli & co - openintents.org <http://openintents.org>
> >> 4. Craig Baker - elimatta.com <http://elimatta.com>

Kyara

Apr 8, 2008, 1:08:18 PM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Could google please NOT publish the list of submissions, unless with consent
of submitters?

It will be very appreciated by many, I think.

Peter

Dan Morrill

Apr 8, 2008, 12:12:34 PM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
To protect privacy and potential business plans, we do not plan to publish the full list of submissions.  In the terms and conditions, we reserve the right to publish information about applications that are awarded a prize, but we won't be publishing any information about the applications that don't receive one of the awards.

- Dan

Kyara

Apr 8, 2008, 1:23:23 PM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds sweet and comforting..... :-)

Thanks.

Biosopher

Apr 8, 2008, 12:37:21 PM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
I would add these two in the gaming genre. I believe that to win in
the Android gaming space, you'll need to do something more unique than
simply porting a game that could run on any other platform
(Asterdoids, PacMan, ...). These guys merge gaming with location-
based information. Anyway...these two have my vote.

Parallel Kingdom
www.parallelkingdom.com
Screenshots: www.anddev.org/hands_on_parallel_kingdom_mmorpg_-_impressions-t1618.html
VIdeo: www.parallelkingdom.com/videos.shtml

WiFi Army
- They have a great video showing potential but a camera-based
multi-person shooter won't make it far. I tried to talk further with
these guys but nobody answered their web email. They definitely have
potential but need to show a more developed web app (like Parallel
Kingdom)
www.WiFiArmy.com
Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qeeNwECjrU

Best of luck to all of you,
Anthony
www.pocketjourney.com

Cow Bay

Apr 8, 2008, 1:57:43 PM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
wow...3d animation of wifi amy is amazing!

will it drain battery quickly?

At any point will we be able to see a count of how many submissions
were received? I remember you told me you couldn't discuss it before,
but what about after the end of the submission phase? I'm quite
curious to see how popular the challenge was.

On Apr 8, 9:12 am, "Dan Morrill" <morri...@google.com> wrote:
> To protect privacy and potential business plans, we do not plan to publish
> the full list of submissions. In the terms and conditions, we reserve the
> right to publish information about applications that are awarded a prize,
> but we won't be publishing any information about the applications that don't
> receive one of the awards.
> - Dan
>
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Kyara <kyara5...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Could google please NOT publish the list of submissions, unless with
> > consent
> > of submitters?
>
> > It will be very appreciated by many, I think.
>
> > Peter

Muthuselvam Ramadoss

Apr 8, 2008, 1:23:52 PM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure the ADC statistics would be available like the number of submissions etc., without revealing the details.

--
take care,

Kornelius Tuggerson

Apr 8, 2008, 2:07:48 PM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
Well, in accordance with pirate law, every pirate votes himself for
pirate king, so I predict that geocast - the map based file-sharing
application will be one of the winners. :)

http://code.google.com/p/android-geocast/
http://android-geocast.com/

On Apr 8, 10:23 am, "Muthuselvam Ramadoss" <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com>

Biosopher

Apr 8, 2008, 3:20:11 PM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
Hi Cow Bay,

I doubt that the 3D engine will consume too much energy. Check out
another set of 3D games ported to Android here: www.omnigsoft.com/Android/ADC/readme.html

For an even more compelling view of the power of 3D mobile games,
check out this video about the iPhone SDK. Yeah...I know we're not
supposed to mention that other OS...but to beat your competitors, it's
best to know what they're up to.

Apple has enabled some pretty cool iPhone-apps based on their
acceleration engine as evidenced by the iPhone games that EA, Sega, &
even Apple showcase in this video.

www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/iphoneroadmap/

Apple's demo: skip to 41:10
EA: skip to 45:25
Sega: skip to 1:00:00

Anthony

Muthuselvam Ramadoss

Apr 8, 2008, 3:25:00 PM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Looks good from the screen shots. I'm going to run this tomorrow, when I'm awake..

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 9, 2008, 12:15:35 AM4/9/08
to Android Challenge
6. Game Creator for Android - by Richard Vanner (http://www.vimeo.com/
875115)

Great performance, and well done.

On Apr 8, 10:54 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My list of winners:
>
> 1. PlusMinus - anddev.org
> 2. Zhobbs - helloandroid.com
> 3. Peli & co - openintents.org
> 4. Craig Baker - elimatta.com
> 5. Jasta as known in #android channel.
>
> Now go ahead and list yours :)

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 9, 2008, 2:50:03 PM4/9/08
to Android Challenge

tberthel

Apr 9, 2008, 4:46:37 PM4/9/08
to Android Challenge
Me. AllBinary Game Development Library

On Apr 8, 12:54 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My list of winners:
>
> 1. PlusMinus - anddev.org
> 2. Zhobbs - helloandroid.com
> 3. Peli & co - openintents.org
> 4. Craig Baker - elimatta.com
> 5. Jasta as known in #android channel.
>
> Now go ahead and list yours :)

tberthel

Apr 9, 2008, 4:50:24 PM4/9/08
to Android Challenge
Link to my submission: http://allbinary.axspace.com/

On Apr 8, 12:54 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My list of winners:
>
> 1. PlusMinus - anddev.org
> 2. Zhobbs - helloandroid.com
> 3. Peli & co - openintents.org
> 4. Craig Baker - elimatta.com
> 5. Jasta as known in #android channel.
>
> Now go ahead and list yours :)

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 10, 2008, 10:24:09 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
8. Wonderoid - Gesture Recognition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7A6OHWfSOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwGMtNS_YA

On Apr 9, 11:50 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 7. PocketJourney -http://www.pocketjourney.com/androidVideo.do

epta...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2008, 4:33:17 PM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
My predict is the Pocket Journey. But I hope to be the second best ;)

Shooter

Apr 11, 2008, 3:15:19 PM4/11/08
to Android Challenge
Where is the list that people are looking at? Is it the one at
helloandroid.com?

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 14, 2008, 3:18:13 PM4/14/08
to Android Challenge
9. www.enkin.net - Real time navigation

This has generated a lot of discussion so far.

On Apr 10, 7:24 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 8. Wonderoid - Gesture Recognition.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7A6OHWfSOEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwGMtNS_YA

tomgibara

Apr 14, 2008, 7:12:01 PM4/14/08
to Android Challenge
Now that the first round is coming to a close I just wanted to say:

Good luck in the judging everyone!

Still, a man has to have preferences, here are my favourite 5 (most
preferred first) that I hope do well:

1) handyCalc - I love the look of this, I wish I could get my hands on
an apk, I hope it's as slick as it looks, if so I'd run it on my
desktop using the emulator all day...

2) OpenIntents by Peli et.al. - Even though I don't have the same
burning desire to run the applications, no other entry comes closer to
the spirit of collaborative applications than the effort to establish
a shared set of Intents, and the code to support them. I've been
slightly disappointed that the competition has thus far encouraged
people to horde their work and this entry really deserves some credit
from the judges for pointing in the opposite direction.

3) Android Scan - jsharkey, I promise I'm not a barcode junky, but
this application just seems so useful, it's also a great example of
the clever re-use of available libraries and services.

4) Dkn Touch - wonderoid, Not especially novel, but the algorithm
looks tight and the execution (the video demoing it with cards that
you can flip and slide) makes exquisite use of Android's view
animation capabilities. It got into 4th place because, of all the
applications I've seen, it's the one you really wish was built into
the standard Android classes.

5) Slide - hielko & writser, (Very hard to stick to just 5) I'm a
reserved Englishman and don't even have a facebook account, but this
application looked like it had depth and features that could be useful
in lots of ways. I think the choice of using facebook groups for
matching people is brilliant, I don't know if that's their original
idea, but they seem like great criteria.

I think Pocket Journey (biosopher) gets an honourable mention for
having the best video.

Finally, I was surprised that there weren't more media players on
display - is that because the developers feel the need to keep their
slick interfaces secret?

Oh and a special good luck wish goes to anyone still coding!

Tom.

Incognito

Apr 14, 2008, 7:19:31 PM4/14/08
to Android Challenge

>>Finally, I was surprised that there weren't more media players on
>>display - is that because the developers feel the need to keep their
>>slick interfaces secret?
Not necessarily. Is probably because we were too busy coding. At least
that was my case.

plusminus

Apr 14, 2008, 8:20:03 PM4/14/08
to Android Challenge
Oh my goodness, I am ranked #1 :-D

*DANCE* *DANCE* *feeling_a_bit_proud* *DANCE* *DANCE*

Without really promoting my actuall app... =)
http://andnav.anddev.org/

Just a Navigation System =)

Regards, plusminus
http://anddev.org
# Worlds largest Android Development Community / Tutorials

On Apr 8, 7:54 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My list of winners:
>
> 1. PlusMinus - anddev.org
> 2. Zhobbs - helloandroid.com
> 3. Peli & co - openintents.org
> 4. Craig Baker - elimatta.com
> 5. Jasta as known in #android channel.
>
> Now go ahead and list yours :)

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 15, 2008, 3:55:50 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
Forget about AndNav, you can win it just for www.anddev.org ;)

On Apr 15, 5:20 am, plusminus <stoeps...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Oh my goodness, I am ranked #1 :-D
>
> *DANCE* *DANCE* *feeling_a_bit_proud* *DANCE* *DANCE*
>
> Without really promoting my actuall app... =)http://andnav.anddev.org/
>
> Just a Navigation System =)
>
> Regards, plusminushttp://anddev.org

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 15, 2008, 3:56:57 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
Nice 5.

For a good media player, see here:

http://android-five.googlecode.com

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 15, 2008, 3:57:57 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
10. Website: http://fluidnexus.net Messaging without the network.
Project video: http://vimeo.com/899706

On Apr 15, 12:18 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 9.www.enkin.net- Real time navigation
>
> This has generated a lot of discussion so far.
>
> On Apr 10, 7:24 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > 8. Wonderoid - Gesture Recognition.
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7A6OHWfSOEhttp://www.youtube.com/watc...

Hielko

Apr 15, 2008, 4:30:54 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
Very cool that you put our application in the top 5, we hope more
people share your opinion :D. That said, it's called Snap!, not Slide
(httt://www.snap-project.net/)

writser

Apr 15, 2008, 5:01:46 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
Enkin is very, very impressive and a clear winner imho.
PocketJourney is a very interesting concept, but I think their main
problem is getting enough content.
I hope that Snap! (our entry) is also one of the best 50 submissions.

tomgibara

Apr 15, 2008, 6:03:10 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
Sorry about that, just tiredness. Of course I meant Snap! (ironically
I thought it was a good name too). Slide was hovering somewhere
outside of the top 5 which is why it slipped in mistakenly.

Tom.

Alex Pisarev

Apr 15, 2008, 6:47:15 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
My 2 cents.

PlusMinus, Peli and Zhobbs are great community commiters, however,
that won't be taken into consideration during judging.

Everything below is listed to what I would say if I were a judge.

As for their apps, I know nothing about what Zhobbs has submitted, but
OpenIntents is actually a developer library rather than an application
itself, hence, the juddges will probably judge their sample apps and I
doubt that those will get high scores with regards to idea originality
and indespensibility - there are a lot far more original and
indespensible apps at the challenge.
As for PlusMinus's AndNav - it's cool and polished, quite
indespensible, however, the originality of idea and the use of Android
features marks will most probably be quite low here as actually not
much used.

Good examples of the apps that will get the high scores in all 4
categories are location-based games like PK and Wi-Fi Army (PK will
have a little lower score in the usage of Android platform, though),
also map-based application called Marvin and Enkin. I would even say
that Marvin will score more than Enkin as it's more functional and
inspensible.

As for Pocket Journey- I don't see anything cool in here, the idea is
quite old (check Wikimapia, for example), polishing and usability are
definetely not at the top, usage of Android is limited to map services/
multimedia only and it's dispensability is really under question (I
would imagine that only some pensioner tourists as well as some
"walking encyclopedias" will be interested). However, they might be
able to get a grant from their local municipality or something for
that sort of thing, as it actually promotes tourism :)

Intentionally not talking about our app, hope to receive some judging
on it after we release our first teaser.

arnouf

Apr 15, 2008, 7:56:55 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
Hello all,

First thing: congratulations at all for your submission(s)! I think
that more one of you developed your application the night, the day,
the weekend...everywhere, everytime !
Second thing: I understand if google doesn't diffuse all submitted
application. For me, it's really important to do a potential business
later (wait & see results)
Third thing: I don't know how you can say "this app will win!". We
don't know the submission, the category where the app is submitted...

Last thing: I saw a lot of application concerning Social network,
games and GPS. My app is not concerned by this technologies, but the
concept working around can be a real business project (I'm working on
it :) :)). So, perhaps Google judges will see the interest of my
application.

Each person has his luck...

So good luck at all :)

Arnaud

Cow Bay

Apr 15, 2008, 2:28:09 PM4/15/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
judging apps based on "whole new" idea seems controversy, because seems like
android encourages "re-invention" of existing idea, too.

am i wrong?

Apr 15, 2008, 1:32:48 PM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
11. http://www.commandro.net - Social networking search.

On Apr 15, 12:57 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 10. Website:http://fluidnexus.netMessaging without the network.
> Project video:http://vimeo.com/899706
>
> On Apr 15, 12:18 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 9.www.enkin.net-Real time navigation

plusminus

Apr 15, 2008, 1:48:00 PM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
:-D I assume no one tried to submit a whole community o_O

Did you think this would have been possible?!?!?

On Apr 15, 9:55 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forget about AndNav, you can win it just forwww.anddev.org;)

Muthuselvam Ramadoss

Apr 15, 2008, 1:52:16 PM4/15/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You know what, it just stuck me. You could have made an Android client for www.anddev.org and that would have been a killer :-)

Biosopher

Apr 15, 2008, 2:54:23 PM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
Extra kudos to PlusMinus, Peli and Zhobbs. Google should have given
at least 10% of the application ranking based on the submitter's
contribution to the community. After all, it's the community approach
to it's business that has made Google what it is.

Anthony

Steve Oldmeadow

Apr 16, 2008, 4:49:10 AM4/16/08
to Android Challenge

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 16, 2008, 7:16:08 AM4/16/08
to Android Challenge
12. http://android-mobit.blogspot.com
MoBit provides an way to make blogging post by using scribbles, photos
and Google map data.

On Apr 15, 10:32 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 11. http://www.commandro.net- Social networking search.
>
> On Apr 15, 12:57 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 10. Website:http://fluidnexus.netMessagingwithout the network.
> > Project video:http://vimeo.com/899706
>
> > On Apr 15, 12:18 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > 9.www.enkin.net-Realtime navigation

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 17, 2008, 12:45:13 AM4/17/08
to Android Challenge
13. EDUBlaster - Games for learning.

http://www.phdgaming.com/Games/EDUBlaster.cfm
Download the apk at: http://www.phdgaming.com/c/EDUBlaster.apk

On Apr 16, 4:16 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 12. http://android-mobit.blogspot.com
> MoBit provides an way to make blogging post by using scribbles, photos
> and Google map data.
>
> On Apr 15, 10:32 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 11. http://www.commandro.net-Social networking search.
>
> > On Apr 15, 12:57 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > 10. Website:http://fluidnexus.netMessagingwithoutthe network.

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 18, 2008, 8:58:47 AM4/18/08
to Android Challenge
14. http://tassl.com/android.html, college life management

On Apr 17, 9:45 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 13. EDUBlaster - Games for learning.
>
> http://www.phdgaming.com/Games/EDUBlaster.cfm
> Download the apk at:http://www.phdgaming.com/c/EDUBlaster.apk
>
> On Apr 16, 4:16 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 12. http://android-mobit.blogspot.com
> > MoBit provides an way to make blogging post by using scribbles, photos
> > and Google map data.
>
> > On Apr 15, 10:32 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > 11. http://www.commandro.net-Socialnetworking search.

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 18, 2008, 9:11:30 AM4/18/08
to Android Challenge
15. Parallel Kingdom
www.parallelkingdom.com

On Apr 18, 5:58 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 14.http://tassl.com/android.html, college life management

ryank

Apr 18, 2008, 9:20:39 AM4/18/08
to Android Challenge
What, no live camera viewing with LiveVision? I'm hurt... ;-D

Ironically, while all of this is going on, the paperboy broke into my
car 2 days ago and my neighbor saw him. I will be setting up a camera
today and you all can watch it through LiveVision on Android. I'll
make the prototype APK available. =)

ryank
LiveVision submission info -
http://groups.google.com/group/android-challenge/browse_thread/thread/d9094b2749188d72

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 19, 2008, 1:54:36 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
16. severe weather updates -
http://code.google.com/p/weatherphone

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 19, 2008, 1:58:20 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
17. http://www.remotevisioninc.com/test/livevision.htm - Watch, spy, peep using live camera on Android.

PS: no point in hurting ryank feelings ;)

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 19, 2008, 5:16:26 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
18. mChek - mobile payment solution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNJzJUz-F2U

On Apr 19, 10:58 am, "Muthu Ramadoss" <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 17.http://www.remotevisioninc.com/test/livevision.htm- Watch, spy, peep
> using live camera on Android.
>
> PS: no point in hurting ryank feelings ;)
>
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com>

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 19, 2008, 5:19:29 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 19, 2008, 5:27:03 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
20. SlideME - Android application repository and distribution.
http://code.google.com/p/slideme/

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 19, 2008, 5:29:30 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
21. All binary games - tberthel
Submission Info:

http://allbinary.axspace.com/

The 2 games:

http://allbinary.axspace.com/AllBinaryArcadeAndroidApplication.apk

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 19, 2008, 5:33:20 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
22. AskDroid, 6 search engines in one plugin (Google, Wikipedia, Amazon,
YouTube, Linkedin, eBay)

Submitted by: Sadko Mobile
Moscow-Nizhny Novgorod, Russia