Just the FAQs! [On Topic]

Retief

Aug 7, 2007, 12:37:49 AM8/7/07
It seems that many of the readers are unaware that members of
Misc.Survivalism created a number of FAQs, over the years. It's
clearly time for a repost of this info:

Al Hagan had a good list of the ones available at one point:
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.survivalism/msg/8827a28b3e55866f?dmode=source
(just names of FAQs that were at one time available)

Threat Analysis (What are you preparing for?), Richard DeCastro
Prudent Food Storage FAQ, v3.5 Alan T. Hagan
Water Treatment FAQ, v2.2 Patton Turner
Medical Treatment FAQ, v2.0 Craig Ellis
Stored Food Pests FAQ, v1.0 Eric Richard Paulsen
Communications & Signaling FAQ, v1.12 Mike Medintz, editor
Bug-Out Bags v2.0, Mike Medintz
Metallurgy FAQ V 1.0, Drake H. Damerau
Generator FAQ V 1.0, Steve Dunlop
Emergency Water Treatment & Sanitation Handout, Alan T. Hagan

A little digging shows that these FAQs are located here:
http://www.survivalistbooks.com/faq/mirror.htm

Al Hagan's site, with a couple FAQs:
(Including the current Prudent Food Storage FAQ, v4.0)
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html)

And, of course, the Rec.Foods.Preserving newsgroup FAQ:
http://rfpfaq.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ.htm

And Anozira's site (a long time contributor to the newsgroups -- this
link is buried, and not accessible from the top level web page)
http://www.1stconnect.com/anozira/DEFAULT.HTM
Some of the FAQs above are located here as well.

And, as Ron has made evident, there are a number of documents here:
http://www.i4at.org/surv/

There are also a number of documents here:
http://www.southamptonalumni.com/freeware101/survivalmanuals/survival/

The above site contains:
BASIC COLD WEATHER MANUAL FM 31-70.PDF (25.88 MB)
Biological Casualties FM 8-284 pdf (1.3 MB)
DESERT OPERATION FM 90-3.pdf (3.38 MB)
FAMILY DISASTER PLAN NBC_15.pdf (365.71 KB)
FAMILY SUPPLY KIT NBC_16.pdf (226.7 KB)
FIELD HYGIENE AND SANITATION FM 21-10.PDF (2.78 MB)
MAP READING AND LAND NAVIGATION FM 3-25.26.pdf (24.32 MB)
MOUNTAIN OPERATIONS FM 3-97.6.pdf (1.27 MB)
Never Say Die Canadian Survival Manual.pdf (8.43 MB)
PREVENTIVE MEDICINE SERVICES FM 4-02.17.PDF (2.54 MB)
SURVIVABILITY FM 5-103.pdf (12.48 MB)
U.S. ARMY SURVIVAL FM 21-76.pdf (50.8 MB)
US Army - Rappelling TC21-24.pdf (2.2 MB)
US Army - Water Survival Training TC 21-21.pdf (9.99 MB)
US_Army_-_Venomous_Arthropods_GTA_8-5-48.pdf (27.18 KB)
US_Army_-_Venomous_Snakebite_Treatment_GTA_8-5-47.pdf (115.59 KB)
basement_shelter.pdf (1.08 MB)

Here are a few links that I've run across, regarding filtering and
treatment of water.

Homegrown Ceramic filters:
http://www.potpaz.org/pfpfilters.htm

Sand filter treatment system:
http://www.echotech.org/technical/technotes/Sand%20Water%20Filter.pdf

Field expedient water (plan on post-treatment, with some of these)
http://www.wildernessmanuals.com/manual_6/chpt_7/2.html

OA Guide to Water Purification:
http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml

Water Treatment FAQ By Patton Turner:
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/PFSFAQ/Water_TreatmentFAQ-v2.2.html

Solar water stills (not field portable units):
http://www.epsea.org/stills.html
http://www3.telus.net/farallon/
http://www.solaqua.com/solstilbas.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Alternative_Energy/2002_August_Septemb...

Food storage, from Walton Feed:
http://waltonfeed.com/grain/faqs/

Survival and Austere Medicine
http://www.aussurvivalist.com/downloads/AM%20Final%202.pdf

CAR AND DEEP CYCLE BATTERY FAQ (get the file Battery.zip)
http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Frequently Asked Questions about rechargeable batteries
http://www.buchmann.ca/faq.asp

Battery FAQs
http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_Battery.html

That reading list should keep you out of trouble for a while.

Retief

Message has been deleted

strabo

Aug 7, 2007, 2:36:32 AM8/7/07
Winston_Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 23:37:49 -0500, Retief <nos...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> It seems that many of the readers are unaware that members of
>> Misc.Survivalism created a number of FAQs, over the years. It's
>> clearly time for a repost of this info:
>
>> And Anozira's site (a long time contributor to the newsgroups -- this
>> link is buried, and not accessible from the top level web page)
>> http://www.1stconnect.com/anozira/DEFAULT.HTM
>> Some of the FAQs above are located here as well.
>
> Once you are at the top link, the internal links all work except the
> ones in the header.
>
> Down at the bottom of that page is
>
> Other Stuff
> * Just the FAQs 'Mam
>
> That links to the FAQs page at:
> <http://www.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/resources/faqs.htm>
>
> start bitch session.
>
> My ISP changed hands some time ago and they changed all the users top
> addresses. No problem, I'll fix it? Nope. They also changed the
> nature of "users web pages".
>
> Gone are the ftp addresses to service the web page. A call to support
> brought the news that I could only "manage" it though the interface
> they provide on line. Great. Except. All you can do is upload
> digital images. No htm, no headers, no links, no nothing. What they
> provide is purely a shared picture storage area. This they tell me
> makes it much simpler for users. The page only survives because I
> haven't tried to change it.
>
> They also improved their service by cutting the e-mail addresses in
> half and killing usenet access. Naturally they killed the active
> e-mail addresses and kept the ones with little traffic. That little
> trick knocked me off Yahoo survival Groups for a while. Did I mention
> they raised the grand fathered monthly charge. Now ask me if I
> recommend them. :>}
>
> Oh, and did I mention that the guy that bought the ISP has the
> extensive internet experience of running a bridal registry. That's
> it. He is quoted as saying he wanted to get into some internet
> business to get some experience and bought the ISP as a first step.
> Their depth of experience shows.
>
> Someday I'll spring for broadband and get back to a page that can be
> managed and updated.
>
> end bitch session.

I'm at a loss. Exactly which URLs can you NOT get?

Message has been deleted

Retief

Aug 8, 2007, 12:00:13 AM8/8/07
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 19:09:17 -0700, Winston_Smith <not_...@bogus.net>
wrote:

>I can surf just fine. It's just that I can't get to my webpage,
>Anorzira, to change it. Read it, yes, change it, no.

I assume you have a copy of all the files/structure on your local
computer. If not, I probably have a spidered copy laying around
(knowing that the average web site historicall has a lifetime of about
6 weeks, I spider sites with _useful_ information -- yes, I'm quite
sure that yours is one of them... :)

How about putting it on a Geocities web site?

Retief

Message has been deleted

strabo

Aug 8, 2007, 6:52:45 AM8/8/07
Winston_Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 02:36:32 -0400, strabo <str...@flashlight.net>
> wrote:
> I can surf just fine. It's just that I can't get to my webpage,
> Anorzira, to change it. Read it, yes, change it, no.
>
> You typically do that by ftp to an address that is a lot like the http
> web address but a bit different. That's pretty much how all web pages
> are put up and changed. It's more like seeing the web through file
> manager than it is through a browser. All you are doing is moving
> files around. The file is created on my computer and then it needs to
> be moved to the server.
>

> My ISP has eliminated the ftp capability and substituted an http page
> - a normal web page. That page is, intentionally I'm sure, limited -
> all its able to do is to put pictures on my page. If I do that, the
> present page will cease to exist being replaced by one or several
> images. And that's all that would be there. How many pictures of my
> dog do you want to see?

Hmmm, irritating.

> Basically they don't want to do anything but provide the basic service
> of connecting a modem to the internet. Pretty much everything the
> previous owner provided is gone. If all the web pages that they host
> went away, they would be happy.

I understand.

1stConnect is apparently no longer interested in being
a hosting service. Each account is given a basic web page.

If you paid in advance they should refund some money.

I'm scanning your web page - you apparently used FrontPage.
Can you configure FrontPage or one of the other web editors
for an HTTP connection? Probably isn't worth the effort since
they're no longer hosting.

Worse case...

You can save copies of the code and screen copies of the text
and of course save the images. I don't see where you will lose
any material but it looks like you'll have to get another ISP.

Just redo your site on another ISP server.

content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
content="Survival, Preparedness, and Self-Sufficiency.">
content="bugout bag,bob,kit,survival,wilderness,emergency,72
hour,storm,relocation">
<title>Anozira - Survival, Preparedness, and Self-Sufficiency</title>
</head>

RONSERESURPLUS

Aug 8, 2007, 9:00:49 AM8/8/07
On Aug 6, 11:37?pm, Retief <nos...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> It seems that many of the readers are unaware that members of
> Misc.Survivalism created a number of FAQs, over the years. It's
> clearly time for a repost of this info:
>
> Ret

Thanks for pointing that out? Not many knew where to find it, and I
was trying to make a point to some in the newsgroup, that Rather than
just snipping at each other, we could post some basic information!

RON L

Message has been deleted

strabo

Aug 8, 2007, 1:51:38 PM8/8/07
Winston_Smith wrote:
> [...]

> tried to go to my own page. I am SO glad I wrote the page with
> internal links on everything. That's why it still works.
>

> Actually, by the time I add my voice phone, my ISP, and my newserver
> bills, it's close to what the same services from Cox would cost. With
> the difference in speed. I just have to get off my butt and get the
> home network setup and ready to use them.
>
> I've bought a wireless router, figured out how to set it up securely,
> and equipped all my computers with wireless. That saves me a lot of
> wiring. I'm headed for broadband. In the meantime my effort to date
> means my computers can all talk to each other.
>
> Meanwhile there have been more important demands on my time. For one
> thing, my damn boss likes it if I show up every day. I'm single so I
> do all the shopping and housework and I do most of my own maintenance.
> AND, I'm a packrat and hope to move within the next 6-12 months. You
> see where my time goes.

>> I'm scanning your web page - you apparently used FrontPage.
>> Can you configure FrontPage or one of the other web editors
>> for an HTTP connection?
>
> No. FPE generates the page you see. Basically it's a word processor.
> I could use Word, Front Page, or a dozen others. Getting the finished
> file on the web is a different issue. That's typically ftp because
> it's basically a file mover. http can be used but my beloved ISP
> doesn't have options for anything but jpg files.

>> Probably isn't worth the effort since they're no longer hosting.
>
> I used FPE because it's pretty close to pure htm. I tried full Front
> Page once. I installed it, it looked around and said, hey you have a
> web page, do you want to convert to FP. I had hidden a copy of my
> page, so I said sure go ahead. It whirled and giggled for a while and
> finished. The page looked exactly the same. I could see no
> difference at all. BUT.
>
> The files were all about 2X bigger. FP puts in lots of stuff in case
> you want to do a full up dancing pigs graphical web site. But I
> mostly have text. That would be twice the space on the servers drive,
> twice the loading on the internet, twice the download time for the
> user, and twice the drive space if they decide to save anything. Such
> is the price of spiffy graphical sites. They do sell product but they
> are a lousy way to give away information.

>> Worse case...
>>
>> You can save copies of the code and screen copies of the text
>> and of course save the images. I don't see where you will lose
>> any material but it looks like you'll have to get another ISP.
>>
>> Just redo your site on another ISP server.
>
> Precisely what I will have to do. I can leave it where it is
> indefinitely - without updates. Any change at all will have to be on
> a new server. I do have all the files in their original form so I can
> create an identical site on another server in a matter of 15 minutes.
> I just have get time to do it and decide to pay the start up bill for

OK. I initially thought you were concerned about losing info
on your site.

Good luck.

Retief

Aug 8, 2007, 11:20:49 PM8/8/07
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:16:59 -0700, Winston_Smith <not_...@bogus.net>
wrote:

>Actually I have written sites on computer info, one on circuit design,
>mostly tutorials, and one on obsolete technology but they have never

Cool, I love obsolete technology... ;)

>I do the same thing. What's a good spider these days? I've used a

I've used Webreaper under Windows -- works pretty well, but the
filters/rules and such are fussy (doesn't always behave like I think
it should -- but it can punch through my firewall at work).

I normally use "wget". It's primarily a Linux program, but there is
also a windows port of it, that will run from the command prompt (I'm
pretty sure it work under Win98 thru WinXP). I run a batch file like
this (should be a single line, obviously):

wget --mirror --recursive --continue --proxy=on --convert-links
--quota=25M --timeout=5 --tries=30 --input-file=urls.txt
--output-file=get.log

Put a list of the web sites in the local file "urls.txt" and it
scrolls through them, until it hits the 25 M specified limit. It
creates a local mirror of the site (and I believe I have it set to
stay on the parent site, so it doesn't go off to la-la land...I'd have
to double check that)

A Windows/DOS binary can be had here (this is the same version I'm
using when in Win98: wget v1.10.2)

http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/

Otherwise, you probably want the latest-greatest and compile it
yourself (i.e. Linux):

http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

I also found a command prompt modem control (for Windows), and have it
shut down after it reaches the quota (it was part of a freeware bundle
I found somewhere). Launch the job, and go to bed... ;)

>I assume you know about http://www.archive.org/web/web.php. You can
>recover a lot of old stuff from there.

Yeah, it's kinda spotty though. Better than nothing, though.

>>How about putting it on a Geocities web site?
>

>I've thought about that. Actually I had a precursor years ago on some
>other free site (Zoom ??) that went belly up. I think it was called

Well, Yahoo (Geocities) is likely to be around a while. Does Google
offer anything similar?

>I see that a couple of one time regulars here have sites at
>www.survivalistssite.com/ too.

Sometime back I was poking around, and found a page that indicated the
DeCastro was still kickin'. You may remember that he up and
disappeared just before Y2K.

Retief

Retief

Aug 8, 2007, 11:20:49 PM8/8/07
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 06:00:49 -0700, RONSERESURPLUS
<RONSERE...@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>On Aug 6, 11:37?pm, Retief <nos...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> It seems that many of the readers are unaware that members of
>> Misc.Survivalism created a number of FAQs, over the years. It's
>> clearly time for a repost of this info:
>

> Thanks for pointing that out? Not many knew where to find it, and I
>was trying to make a point to some in the newsgroup, that Rather than
>just snipping at each other, we could post some basic information!

We tend to forget that newbies show up on a regular basis, and
probably don't know where to start...

Retief