Y2K+10 Bug with Geko 201

Andreas Weller

Jan 24, 2010, 6:34:11 AM1/24/10
Hi.
There seems to be a year 2010 bug with my Garmin Geko 201.

When switching it on date and time are calculated wrong. But making it
even worse almanac data is also lost. So it needs to search for all
satellites whenever it is turned on. Indeed the whole celestial
mechanics is wrong: trying to display sunset results in a hung up geko -
I needed to remove the batteries to switch it off.

First I thought this problems might be caused by a broken buffer
battery. But I tried it using two Geko 201 with different firmware
versions. The problem is repeatable with both devices.

On the Garmin web-page there's nothing about this - no FAQ entry, no
Firmware update...

Would you please check whether your Garmin is also affected? May be only
the german firmware is affected. Or it's a fundamental problem with the
phasetrac12 chipset used in this series of GPS devices.

I sent an e-mail to Garmin (US and EU) but sadly no reply yet :-(

Regards,
Andreas Weller

Craig Wallace

Jan 25, 2010, 8:05:40 PM1/25/10
On 24/01/2010 11:34, Andreas Weller wrote:

> Would you please check whether your Garmin is also affected? May be only
> the german firmware is affected. Or it's a fundamental problem with the
> phasetrac12 chipset used in this series of GPS devices.
>
> I sent an e-mail to Garmin (US and EU) but sadly no reply yet :-(

My Geko 201 is still working fine, as usual. I've used it a few times in
the last week or so, including for a run today.
I'm using firmware version 2.60.
I've tried setting the language to German, it still all works fine,
including displaying sunset times etc.

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk

Bernhard Fischer

Jan 27, 2010, 3:52:47 PM1/27/10
Craig Wallace schrieb:

> My Geko 201 is still working fine, as usual. I've used it a few times in
> the last week or so, including for a run today.
> I'm using firmware version 2.60.
> I've tried setting the language to German, it still all works fine,
> including displaying sunset times etc.

The problem with my Geko 201 is the date, not the time. Each track
segment is recorded with a differing date, some are ok and others years
in the past or future. To verify this scroll to the page where you see
the recorded track and select the option "Pan Track Log". Then you can
move back and forth with the Up/Down buttons. Time and date of the
recorded track point is displayed below the map.

Regards,
Bernhard

Andreas Weller

Jan 27, 2010, 8:17:32 PM1/27/10
Andreas Weller schrieb:

> I sent an e-mail to Garmin (US and EU) but sadly no reply yet :-(

Today I received a reply from Garmin germany:
the bug is non reproducible for them. They admit this error may only
affects few devices. Therefore there's no bug-fix available.

So unfortunately Garmin doesn't recognize responsibility for their
products. They simply shift issues onto customers.
The lesson is clear: if there will be any new Garmin device I can also
pick an US or far east import as Garmin's german support not nearly
justifies the 40% surcharge.

Regards,
Andreas

Andreas Weller

Jan 27, 2010, 8:36:57 PM1/27/10
> I sent an e-mail to Garmin (US and EU) but sadly no reply yet :-(

Today I received a reply from Garmin germany:

the bug is non reproducible for them. They admit this error may only

affect few devices. Therefore there's no bug-fix available.

Unfortunately Garmin doesn't recognize responsibility for their

products. They simply shift issues onto customers.

The lesson is clear: if I will buy a new Garmin device I can also

Gene E. Bloch

Jan 28, 2010, 12:30:31 AM1/28/10
On 1/27/10, Andreas Weller posted:

> Regards,
> Andreas

OTOH, if they really can't reproduce it, how could they possibly fix
it?

Been there, failed that, so I'm sympathetic with the tech support...

--
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com

Bob Martin

Jan 28, 2010, 2:04:18 AM1/28/10
in 24086 20100128 053031 Gene E. Bloch <let...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
>On 1/27/10, Andreas Weller posted:
>>> I sent an e-mail to Garmin (US and EU) but sadly no reply yet :-(
>
>> Today I received a reply from Garmin germany:
>> the bug is non reproducible for them. They admit this error may only
>> affect few devices. Therefore there's no bug-fix available.
>
>> Unfortunately Garmin doesn't recognize responsibility for their
>> products. They simply shift issues onto customers.
>> The lesson is clear: if I will buy a new Garmin device I can also
>> pick an US or far east import as Garmin's german support not nearly
>> justifies the 40% surcharge.
>

>> Regards,
>> Andreas
>
>OTOH, if they really can't reproduce it, how could they possibly fix
>it?

If they can't fix it they should replace it.

Gene E. Bloch

Jan 28, 2010, 3:05:08 PM1/28/10
On 1/27/10, Bob Martin posted:

I agree, especially if it's unique to the OP's device.

Stephen Turner

Jan 31, 2010, 10:14:46 AM1/31/10
On Jan 28, 8:05 pm, Gene E. Bloch <lett...@someplace.invalid> wrote:

> I agree, especially if it's unique to the OP's device.

It's not unique to his device. There are at least two forum threads
with people experiencing the same problem.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=239205
http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=132684

--
Stephen Turner

Heinrich Pfeifer

Feb 1, 2010, 9:23:44 AM2/1/10

"Andreas Weller" <wel...@andreas-weller.de> wrote in

I cannot repair your Geko but there is a workaround:

Gartrip comes with a new version 210c. When detecting a jump beyond
one year in the time stamps of a track, it asks the user for the
correct date and it repairs the track accordingly. This should help
until Garmin fixes it. See www.gartrip.de

--

Heinrich
http://www.gartrip.de

Tom

Feb 1, 2010, 2:39:31 PM2/1/10
On Feb 1, 7:23 am, "Heinrich Pfeifer" <n...@gartrip.de> wrote:
> "Andreas Weller" <wel...@andreas-weller.de> wrote innews:hjqpnq$la4$03$2...@news.t-online.com...
> Heinrichhttp://www.gartrip.de
> mail: new<at>gartrip.de

My Geko 201 has the same problem. The pan track feature is
essentially non-functional, and if I try to download tracks with
Mapsource I get an error message saying the track is invalid, using
g7toWin I can get the track and it shows some good 2010 dates and then
some 1991 and 1952 dates.The trip odometer worked fine for a while and
then suddenly went bonkers after I had the gps off changed location by
a few miles and re-started the gps. It also is acting like it is
having a problem remembering the almanac.

jairichard

Feb 1, 2010, 5:28:10 PM2/1/10

I use my 201 to record hillwalks so its track dates and times are
central to that. This Sundays (yesterday) track had a date in
September 2029 and the GPS has its time in August 1988. My 201 also
produced a very corrupt track for part of the day with errors like
exagerated SA of 1 or 2 Km which is assume is another symptom of the
problem. I have mailed Garmin on their website. I hope this leads to
a new firmware version and a fix.

Gene E. Bloch

Feb 1, 2010, 8:35:46 PM2/1/10
On 1/31/10, Stephen Turner posted:

> http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=239205
> http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=132684

Thanks for the pointers. I hereby formally withdraw my earlier remark
:-)

No, I guess the smiley is not appropriate. Reading those posts it seems
clear that the Geko (or many instances of it) is b0rked.

jairichard

Feb 2, 2010, 6:04:09 AM2/2/10
> a new firmware version and a fix.- Hide quoted text -

I have spoken to Garmin this morning on their UK support number and
they are aware of this problem now and it is in the hands of their US
people. They took my phone and email with a promise to keep me
updated. Watch this space.....

Tom

Feb 2, 2010, 2:30:48 PM2/2/10

I sent email to Garmin and got this reply:
"Please download, install and run the WebUpdater application to
install the most current software version onto your unit:
http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

You will also need to do a master reset on your unit. Doing a master
reset will delete all user data, but it will also delete any corrupt
system data which may be causing the issue. Be sure to back up all
user data, if possible, before continuing. To do the master reset,
with the unit off, press and hold 'up' + 'ok' + 'page' + 'power' at
the same time for about five seconds.

The above two steps should take care of this issue. If it doesn't, the
unit will need to come in for repair/replacement. The flat rate to
repair/replace a Geko 201 is $59 plus any applicable tax. "

I already had the latest firmware, but the master reset did the job
for me.

PLEASE NOTE:
1) The master reset only occurs if the device is OFF before pushing
the buttons !!!
2) Immediately after the reset, the track log dates were still screwy,
but after turning the unit off and then back on I am getting a normal
tracklog with the correct dates and times.

Tom

jairichard

Feb 2, 2010, 5:30:13 PM2/2/10
> Tom- Hide quoted text -

without any advice for a reset etc I was told to wait for news only. I
did backup my 201 did a master reset and after that the time was still
in error so clearly far from operational. I can confirm the reset
loses everything including user information.

Tom

Feb 3, 2010, 12:56:34 AM2/3/10

Mine is now showing bad dates again. The time is right, but the date
is wrong. The more people report this to Garmin the more likely it
will be that they figure there is a firmware bug, and not just a
couple of bad units.

Tom

rene

Feb 8, 2010, 7:12:40 AM2/8/10
> Tom- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Same prob over here (Belgium) with my geko 201 .

Rick Richardson

Feb 9, 2010, 8:19:24 AM2/9/10
BRAVO VER 8
Software 2.70
Temp 20C
Bat 2.55V
Geko-201 #1: S/N: 90414406
Geko-201 #2: S/N: 12933751

I have the 2010 date bug on TWO Geko-201’s! It was fine on 12/31/2009.
But 01/01/2010 it says the date is 12/05/1968!!!! When switching it on
the date is calculated wrong. But making it even worse, almanac data

is also lost. So it needs to search for all satellites whenever it is
turned on.

I think the firmware needs to be updated!!!

Ref:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=239205

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.satellite.gps.garmin/browse_thread/thread/8cad726c6b947ddb

http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=132684

Bernhard Fischer

Feb 9, 2010, 11:55:13 AM2/9/10
Rick Richardson schrieb:

> the date is calculated wrong. But making it even worse, almanac data
> is also lost. So it needs to search for all satellites whenever it is
> turned on.
>
> I think the firmware needs to be updated!!!

My Geko 201 shows exactly the same bug symptoms.
S/N 90490832, BRAVO VER 8, Software 2.70

I reported the problem to the German branch of Garmin. They instructed
me to update the firmware (was 2.50 before) and execute an unit reset,
but the problem still exists. Hopefully they consider to fix the bug
with a new firmware version.

Andreas Weller

Feb 9, 2010, 3:06:38 PM2/9/10
On 08.02.2010 13:12, rene wrote:
> Same prob over here (Belgium) with my geko 201 .

Please contact your local support (00 32 2672 5254) and let us know
their answer or if they have any solution for this issue.

Regards,
Andreas Weller

Andreas Weller

Feb 9, 2010, 6:25:34 PM2/9/10
On 09.02.2010 14:19, Rick Richardson wrote:
> the date is calculated wrong. But making it even worse, almanac data
> is also lost.

I just hooked my Geko to gpsd using the serial interface and NMEA
output. It even delivers wrong NMEA data...

xgps screenshot: http://www.andreas-weller.de/usenet/Geko201-NMEA-output.png

Regards,
Andreas Weller

Bernhard Fischer

Feb 13, 2010, 11:24:08 AM2/13/10
Bernhard Fischer schrieb:

> I reported the problem to the German branch of Garmin. They instructed
> me to update the firmware (was 2.50 before) and execute an unit reset,
> but the problem still exists. Hopefully they consider to fix the bug
> with a new firmware version.

Meanwhile Garmin informed me that they reported the problem to the
development department. They intend to provide a new firmware update but
can't tell when it will be available. The update will be announced via
the service newsticker (http://news.garminservice.de/).

Rick Richardson

Feb 13, 2010, 12:43:18 PM2/13/10
From Garmin:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. We have heard of the
issue with Geko 201 units not keeping an accurate time and date and we
would like to bring a couple of these devices in so our engineering
team
may inspect them. Would you be interested in sending in your two Geko
201 units? If so, I will be happy to setup a YRMA order to have one of
our software engineers inspect your GPS devices. Would you like to
have
the units returned to the address you provided below?"

I returned one of the units on Wednesday the 10th to Olathe, KS. The
other one I need for Geocaching...

Rick Richardson

Feb 17, 2010, 5:10:06 PM2/17/10
On Feb 13, 11:43 am, Rick Richardson <rickr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From Garmin:

"I received your Geko 201 today. I will send it on to our engineers
tomorrow. I
will let you know when I have more information.

Best Regards,

Damon Aldridge"

Chuck Crannell

Feb 21, 2010, 4:14:22 PM2/21/10
I too, have encountered the same problem entering 2010.
Bravo version 8
software 2.70
SerialNumber: 90414355

After leaving my unit on for at least 30 minutes (so a current almanac
was received) I checked the date – it was way wrong. I installed the
Garmin Time Set application on my PC. The date and time displayed on
my Geko 201 was 23 May 49 3:53:57 (12hr setting, -5hr UTC, auto
daylight savings). The time is off by the daylight savings time
difference of one hour (ahead).

The e-mail from Garmin suggested an RMA might be required. I hope
they resolve the issue without cost to me since the unit did not break
because of my care, rather, because of a flaw.

Chuck Crannell

Feb 23, 2010, 1:59:13 PM2/23/10

Garmin just informed me via e-mail to check their site for a software
update to resolve this issue:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Thanks for the response back. I just receive an update on this issue.
As of now, our engineers are looking into this issue. I would
recommend keeping a eye out on the software page for updates to
correct this issue. I apologize for this inconvenience.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00318-00&cID=144&pID=220

Diogenes

Mar 17, 2010, 2:20:15 PM3/17/10
On Jan 24, 12:34 pm, Andreas Weller <wel...@andreas-weller.de> wrote:
> Hi.
> There seems to be a year 2010 bug with my Garmin Geko 201.
>
> When switching it on date and time are calculated wrong. But making it
> even worse almanac data is also lost. So it needs to search for all
> satellites whenever it is turned on. Indeed the whole celestial
> mechanics is wrong: trying to display sunset results in a hung up geko -
> I needed to remove the batteries to switch it off.
>
> First I thought this problems might be caused by a broken buffer
> battery. But I tried it using two Geko 201 with different firmware
> versions. The problem is repeatable with both devices.
>
> On the Garmin web-page there's nothing about this - no FAQ entry, no
> Firmware update...
>
> Would you please check whether your Garmin is also affected? May be only
> the german firmware is affected. Or it's a fundamental problem with the
> phasetrac12 chipset used in this series of GPS devices.
>
> I sent an e-mail to Garmin (US and EU) but sadly no reply yet :-(
>
> Regards,
>   Andreas Weller

Sad to see that a month after Garmin has recognized this issue (which
also affects my device) and a solution/firmware update has been
announced, nothing of that has happened. I mean, of course these
things are /old/, as in really, really old, and I understand any
engineer who has developed anything for this device is now retired or
working for Google, and any engineer currently in their employment
must at first dig his way through the docs, and I understand if they
prefer hoping for the problem to simply go away.

On the other hand we are talking a substantial number of sets that
were in perfect working order, and have absolutely satisfied their
various owners, who have therefore functioned as multipliers for years
recommending the name Garmin to anyone asking their advice (at least
the same is true in my case). So if I was them, I'd put a little
effort into keeping it that way.

Rick Richardson

Mar 17, 2010, 4:10:17 PM3/17/10
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:24:14 -0500
From: "Aldridge, Damon" <Damon.A...@garmin.com>
To: Rick Richardson
Subject: RE: Geko 201

Hello,

I just asked about this problem this morning. As of right now, we
still do not
have a fix for it. We are still working on it.

Best Regards,

Damon Aldridge
Outdoor/Fitness Support

Garmin International
1200 E 151st St
Olathe, KS 66062

Diogenes

Mar 17, 2010, 4:21:39 PM3/17/10
On 17 Mrz., 21:10, Rick Richardson <rickr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:24:14 -0500
> From: "Aldridge, Damon" <Damon.Aldri...@garmin.com>

> To: Rick Richardson
> Subject: RE: Geko 201
>
> Hello,
>
> I just asked about this problem this morning.  As of right now, we
> still do not
> have a fix for it.  We are still working on it.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Damon Aldridge
> Outdoor/Fitness Support
>
> Garmin International
> 1200 E 151st St
> Olathe, KS  66062

Damon,

thanks for the prompt update. Obviously not what we hoped for, but
good to hear we are still on your radar!

Thomas

Christian Zietz

Mar 29, 2010, 4:22:40 PM3/29/10
On 17 Mrz., 22:21, Diogenes <thomas.a...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> thanks for the prompt update. Obviously not what we hoped for, but
> good to hear we are still on your radar!

Good news, everyone. According to <http://www8.garmin.com/support/
download_details.jsp?id=719>, a firmware update (v. 2.90) was released
on March 25, in order to fix the "issue with incorrect year being
displayed".

Christian

Andreas Weller

Mar 29, 2010, 7:58:03 PM3/29/10
On 29.03.2010 22:22, Christian Zietz wrote:

> Good news, everyone. According to <http://www8.garmin.com/support/
> download_details.jsp?id=719>, a firmware update (v. 2.90) was released
> on March 25, in order to fix the "issue with incorrect year being
> displayed".

Hi.

I could live to see it :-)

I just tried it. It seems to fix this nasty bug - at least for my Geko
201 devices...

Regards,
Andreas Weller

jairichard

Mar 31, 2010, 4:49:59 AM3/31/10

I got the mail from Garmin this morning and updated 3 Geko 201 devices
to ver 2.09 . All now have the correct date and seem cured of this bug.

Tom

Apr 4, 2010, 6:08:23 PM4/4/10

Just a note: the Garmin site says that Webupdater must be used for
this installation, and that is what I did. I also noted that they no
longer show the earlier version of the 201 firmware in the downloads
section of the site.

Tom

Bernhard Fischer

Apr 8, 2010, 9:57:09 AM4/8/10
Tom schrieb:

> Just a note: the Garmin site says that Webupdater must be used for
> this installation, and that is what I did. I also noted that they no
> longer show the earlier version of the 201 firmware in the downloads
> section of the site.

Yes, I also belief that you have to search for older firmware versions
elsewhere in the Internet. E. g. the file name of version 2.50 is
geko201_250.exe (696320 bytes).

Also with WebUpdater an offline update is possible. The explanation is
written in the *source code* of the release notes HTML page:
<http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=719>

=== snip ===

NOTE FOR USERS WANTING TO DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE ON ONE COMPUTER AND THEN
INSTALL IT TO THEIR DEVICE USING A DIFFERENT COMPUTER:

1) To download the region file used by WebUpdater, copy and paste this
link into your browser on computer #1:

http://www.garmin.com/software/Geko201_regionfileonly__290.rgn

2) Bring Geko201_regionfileonly__290.rgn to computer #2 where your
device is attached.

3a) Then you can drag-and-drop Geko201_regionfileonly__290.rgn onto the
WebUpdater icon on your desktop.

3b) Or you can invoke WebUpdater at the command line, passing in the
region file as a parameter:

C:\>WebUpdater.exe c:\path\to\Geko201_regionfileonly__290.rgn

=== snip ===

Regards,
Bernhard

Message has been deleted